The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago
Good for Twan - happy for him.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’ll be rooting for Bryant and Twan. Unless they play us of course
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’ll be rooting for Bryant and Twan. Unless they play us of course
Grasso/Bryant should make it interesting rather than just seeing Becker/Vermont dominate the A-East every season.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Things have certainly changed in just a few short years and Antwan is a prime example. Walker, despite not having played for a full year, could not get a waiver to play immediately at URI after transferring from Georgetown. He was dismissed from GU basketball in early October-2018 of the first semester before playing any games. He finished out the semester academically there before transferring to URI for the second semester in 2018-19. Tried to get a waiver to play in first semester of next year (2019-20) but Georgetown was not particularly helpful in his cause. Had to sit out until first semester ended in late December-2019. Basically sat out and did not play for a year and a half. Was not even his choice to transfer as he was dismissed from the GU program. Flash forward - he now leaves URI by his own choice and is immediately eligible to play at Bryant, his 3rd school.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Name the last NCAA basketball player to have a waiver denied?
If and when a waiver denial happens I’d like to be the lawyer who takes that case
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Name the last NCAA basketball player to have a waiver denied?
If and when a waiver denial happens I’d like to be the lawyer who takes that case
I think it was an Iowa St transfer. Possibly Tre King but I’m not 100%
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m glad Martin and Leggett stayed and I wish Walker had.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Things have certainly changed in just a few short years and Antwan is a prime example. Walker, despite not having played for a full year, could not get a waiver to play immediately at URI after transferring from Georgetown. He was dismissed from GU basketball in early October-2018 of the first semester before playing any games. He finished out the semester academically there before transferring to URI for the second semester in 2018-19. Tried to get a waiver to play in first semester of next year (2019-20) but Georgetown was not particularly helpful in his cause. Had to sit out until first semester ended in late December-2019. Basically sat out and did not play for a year and a half. Was not even his choice to transfer as he was dismissed from the GU program. Flash forward - he now leaves URI by his own choice and is immediately eligible to play at Bryant, his 3rd school.
That's the timeline I remembered, so why would he even have needed an NCAA waiver in the first place? He never got his one time free transfer coming from Georgetown to here
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Things have certainly changed in just a few short years and Antwan is a prime example. Walker, despite not having played for a full year, could not get a waiver to play immediately at URI after transferring from Georgetown. He was dismissed from GU basketball in early October-2018 of the first semester before playing any games. He finished out the semester academically there before transferring to URI for the second semester in 2018-19. Tried to get a waiver to play in first semester of next year (2019-20) but Georgetown was not particularly helpful in his cause. Had to sit out until first semester ended in late December-2019. Basically sat out and did not play for a year and a half. Was not even his choice to transfer as he was dismissed from the GU program. Flash forward - he now leaves URI by his own choice and is immediately eligible to play at Bryant, his 3rd school.
That's the timeline I remembered, so why would he even have needed an NCAA waiver in the first place? He never got his one time free transfer coming from Georgetown to here
Unless you are a grad because he was a multi transfer and did not qualify for the no-sit rule, he would still need a waiver.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Mitchell twins might not be happy :lol:

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
The Mitchell twins might not be happy :lol:

Portalpalooza continues. The gift that keeps on giving.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Aside from the few very top remaining bigs in the portal (who may drop out of the draft), I like Philipe Haase (6'9"/250).
He is considered the top shooting big still uncommitted.
Last season averaged about 15 pts (almost 41% 3PT).
Started his career at South Carolina (fresh/soph) and averaged over 20 minutes/game.

He would be a nice 1-year loaner, just throwing stuff against the wall here.

My dream of course would be to land Wahab from Maryland, or some of the other big names.
I would also be happy if we can get N'Guessan.

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, I agree and think it would be ideal to have a one year player with experience, like Haas, to fill a starting role. That would give our young bigs a good big to practice against and also give them more time to adjust and develop versus having to go through a baptism by fire. And, the young bigs could still get plenty of playing time if they can earn it next season.

Unfortunately, I think someone like Haas will attract a P6 offers that provide a shot at the tourney.

I wonder what the staff is thinking? I understand the staff operates in a stealthy fashion but I sure would like to be a fly on the wall and listen to the internal debates on players and recruiting strategies. I would enjoy that.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ho hum. DJ Khalid voice:

1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wahab

Georgetown---->Maryland---->Georgetown
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Wahab

Georgetown---->Maryland---->Georgetown
Cheap moving expenses. Smart kid.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Breaking down the portal

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

#PortalCombat...love it. We win.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Breaking down the portal

I don't love that initial graphic, but I thought this one was good:

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Breaking down the portal

I don't love that initial graphic, but I thought this one was good:

Agree that the first graphic was really difficult to disseminate. But the one you pulled from later in the thread certainly dispels the fear at the A10 and mid majors are triple A basketball given the low percentage of “up transfers”.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Low percentage of “up transfers” is exactly AAA. Take the best only. I still think it is a wash because realistically we are typically trading AAA players with the P6 clubs. None of these guys are starters on a high level P6 team, but the P6 teams get guys with minutes under their belt. We are taking guys with potential that didn’t get minutes yet.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Low percentage of “up transfers” is exactly AAA. Take the best only. I still think it is a wash because realistically we are typically trading AAA players with the P6 clubs. None of these guys are starters on a high level P6 team, but the P6 teams get guys with minutes under their belt. We are taking guys with potential that didn’t get minutes yet.
I mean it moreso in the sense that some here have grumbled that the portal will be the death of the mid majors. Great coaches will retain their best players. No matter the level.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The stats that show most players transfer down only shows part of the story on transfers. First off, moving up and down is relative. How can players on the teams in the top conferences possibly move up? The other missing component is the playing experience and game stats production of players. Most players moving down are doing so because they likely had less important roles and playing time on teams than they preferred. The teams that lose them do not lose a lot of production. The A-10 is in a weird middle space of transfers. It lost less productive players to lower conference per the overall trend. It however, unlike the top leagues, also lost a lot of very high production players that moved up. Just look at St Bonaventure for example.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Surprised he waited this long to enter the portal.
Good size at guard (6'5"), averaged 10 pts/4 rebs last season at UMass.
This will be his 4th school in 5 years.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Verbal Commits
Former San Diego G Joey Calcaterra is transferring to Connecticut. http://verbalcommits.com/players/joey-calcaterra

Late roster add by UCONN
35% 3FG
88% FT
Leaving Steve Lavin for Hurley
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Verbal Commits
Former San Diego G Joey Calcaterra is transferring to Connecticut. http://verbalcommits.com/players/joey-calcaterra

Late roster add by UCONN
35% 3FG
88% FT
Leaving Steve Lavin for Hurley
Yes, is a decent shooter, averaged 8.5 pts last season.
Will add depth to their backcourt, coming off the bench.
1-year loaner.

UConn now with 11 scholarships for 22-23, probably add 1 more.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Talk about underrating our incoming transfers. Brayon Freeman himself was more productive than many of these guys, in this very league, as a freshman. If their reasoning is talented guys coming down a level and should now be productive, than Anthony Harris and Brandon Weston should then be on the list
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't like sounding bias, but Rhody will definitely be underrated this year. Could be a sneaky top 3 team.
2 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I don't like sounding bias, but Rhody will definitely be underrated this year. Could be a sneaky top 3 team.
You are sounding very bias, no way a top 3 team.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not including Freeman on that list does seem odd. I almost wonder if they didn't count him since he stayed in conference, but that would be weird to. I can understand Harris and Weston somewhat, since there are a lot of unknowns there for now.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I don't like sounding bias, but Rhody will definitely be underrated this year. Could be a sneaky top 3 team.
You are sounding very bias, no way a top 3 team.
I think IF Archy can squeeze out the potential I believe this team has and can get them to glue, watch out.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

More bulletin board material for Archie and the players. Keep it coming A10 experts.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago More bulletin board material for Archie and the players. Keep it coming A10 experts.
If our livelihood depended on our A10 expertise, we ALL would be paupers.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago More bulletin board material for Archie and the players. Keep it coming A10 experts.
Yup good call Drums good motivation tactic
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Not sure Archie totally agrees.
He is looking to build a program here, not constant 1-year fixes.
We would be the exception, according to Rothstein.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Not including Freeman on that list does seem odd. I almost wonder if they didn't count him since he stayed in conference, but that would be weird to. I can understand Harris and Weston somewhat, since there are a lot of unknowns there for now.
A10 Talk Retweeted
@MLBergman_
Jun 14
Toughest Top 10 list I've put together yet. So many worthy names just missed too. Pickett, Reece, Freeman, and Johns are my "First Four Out."

He had Freeman in his 1st 4 out
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Not including Freeman on that list does seem odd. I almost wonder if they didn't count him since he stayed in conference, but that would be weird to. I can understand Harris and Weston somewhat, since there are a lot of unknowns there for now.
A10 Talk Retweeted
@MLBergman_
Jun 14
Toughest Top 10 list I've put together yet. So many worthy names just missed too. Pickett, Reece, Freeman, and Johns are my "First Four Out."

Many felt Pickett was the top transfer to the A10, had solid stats at Mizzou (double digit scorer).

And yes, both Bray and Reece could easily have been on that list.

Johns will probably start at PF for VCU, was a very highly rated recruit, but didn't play up to the expectations at Michigan.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

It's the reality too of having a site with writers that are fans of the teams involved. Michael Bergman is a big-time UMass guy so naturally, he will have clogged up two slots with Levesque and Cross. I think not having either of the kids that went Michigan -> VCU, and missing Pickett here is ridiculous.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A10 Talk Retweeted
@MLBergman_
Jun 14

Many felt Pickett was the top transfer to the A10, had solid stats at Mizzou (double digit scorer).

And yes, both Bray and Reece could easily have been on that list.

Johns will probably start at PF for VCU, was a very highly rated recruit, but didn't play up to the expectations at Michigan.
The kid who made this list was the one was wrong about the UMass coaching search about 3 times.

Tough to take this kid seriously with any of his content.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

15, I will officially and vehemently disagree and disregard your post because it does not fit the expert/motivation narrative I attempting to spin in my post above. My tactics depend on the presumption of A10 expertise from those valuable social media members (Although, I agree with you - off the record. #stealthposting).

Please refrain from insulting our A10 expert from that fine institution of higher learning. 😎
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

His starting backcourt will be 3 transfers. His starting 5 will have at least 4 players new to the team this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

His starting backcourt will be 3 transfers. His starting 5 will have at least 4 players new to the team this year.
So, what was he supposed to do THIS year? Sign 8 freshmen?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Of course, because we are basically building a new roster this year especially with the coaching change.

At this time, I wouldn't jump to conclusions on our starting backcourt.

Besides the transfers Archie landed all have at least 3 years eligibility unlike some of the schools adding 1-year loaners.

Archie said many times he wants to build a program starting with youth and not heavily rely on the portal.
We understand that during this transition year he only had a short time to recruit, this season may be a slight exception, just because of the circumstances.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course, because we are basically building a new roster this year especially with the coaching change.

At this time, I wouldn't jump to conclusions on our starting backcourt.

Besides the transfers Archie landed all have at least 3 years eligibility unlike some of the schools adding 1-year loaners.

Archie said many times he wants to build a program starting with youth and not heavily rely on the portal.
We understand that during this transition year he only had a short time to recruit, this season may be a slight exception, just because of the circumstances.
I like the transfers. Very happy with what he has done. Keep the transfers coming.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://evanmiya.com

Taking his list, adding the "last 4 out" and including the evanmiya.com ranking

1-Dae Dae Grant - 370
2-Daryl Banks III - 281
3-Moses Flowers - 306
4-Bryce Golden - 133
5- Tevin Brewer - 322
6-Victor Baily Jr - 100
7-David Skogman - 89
8-Wildens Leveque - 235
9-Neal Quinn - 80
10-Matt Cross - 114
11-Javon Pickett - 253
12-Joe Reece - 197
13-Brayon Freeman - 324
14-Brandon Johns Jr - 90

Top A10 Transfers in per evanmiya.com
80-Neal Quinn
89-David Skogman
90-Branson Johns Jr
100-Victor Bailey Jr
114-Matt Cross
132-Brandon Weston
197-Joe Reece
226-Khalid Moore
234-Hassan Drame
235-Wildens Leveque
251-John Ojiako
253-Javon Pickett
259-Anthony Harris
278-Isaiah Bigelow
281-Daryl Banks III
302-Jason Roche
306-Moses Flowers
322-Tevin Brewer
324-Brayon Freeman
335-Zeb Jackson
344-Rahsool Diggins
360-Fousseyni Drame
370-Dae Dae Grant
383-Ta'Quan Woodley

Biggest gap seems to be Due Date Grant who is #1 on this guys list, yet #370 on evanmiya.com and 23rd among incoming A10 transfers

Also Brandon Weston is 6th incoming and Anthony Harris 13th incoming transfers to A10 based on evanmiya.com but not listed on this guys list at all
0 x