'18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ngriff »

I personally think Cox is trying to find the fine line between keeping a good relationship with carey while also scaling down his minutes. Carey is an interesting case and I think Cox needs to give him opportunities and make it clear if Jalen keep playing the way he has played that Jalen was the one who did not perform, not the coach. This way when other top recruits/transfers look at rhode island when carey is brought up they can say the ball was in carey ´s court, cox gave him every opportunity. Also I think it is valuable to try to develop him because he may still be able to devolp into a good player at Uri.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Oh, I agree. These are the hard lessons a coach has to learn. For better or worse.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago I personally think Cox is trying to find the fine line between keeping a good relationship with carey while also scaling down his minutes. Carey is an interesting case and I think Cox needs to give him opportunities and make it clear if Jalen keep playing the way he has played that Jalen was the one who did not perform, not the coach. This way when other top recruits/transfers look at rhode island when carey is brought up they can say the ball was in carey ´s court, cox gave him every opportunity. Also I think it is valuable to try to develop him because he may still be able to devolp into a good player at Uri.
Problem is, this is a face value business. All most see is the # next to transfers. Nevermind the story.

Look at Long, he left and is playing LESS at ODU. I wonder how his parents are feeling about their decision. Them seemed to have NO PATIENCE.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Hammond looks like an end of the bench guy too, at least in the box scores I looked at.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago There are so many layers to this that some miss.

Let’s start here. When you recruit kids like Jalen, you recruit the family, the coaches, the advisors and the pipeline associated with the kid. There is so much more than what meets the eye when you are trying to build your reputation as a coach. I think Cox learned this the hard way with the rash of turnovers last year.

If you bench a kid like Carey, who was highly touted and highly ranked, it’s a double edged sword. The family and all those connections begin to attribute faults directly to the coach. In turn, that CAN possibly sour that pipeline. Coaches, advisors and handlers will use Jalen as a prime example of why a kid should not choose to come to said school. It’s a slippery slope.

Carey was quoted as saying a few things that made him decide to come here over other P5 destinations. One being that, he felt coach would allow him to find his way without being punished. Confidence is more than 50% of what is required to be a successful basketball player...at any level.

As a fan, I too, am frustrated with the kid. Ish should be the 6th man off the bench. However, Turning your back on Jalen is a sure fire way to do two things, continue to kill his confidence and ultimately result in another transfer. Kids like him, due to his influences, will not accept him riding the pine. Here’s that slippery slope again. It’s such a delicate IMbalance, it sucks.

It’s easy for fans of the team to say what they would do, because the recourse will never be obviously seen. But being a coach is so much more than X’s and O’s and player development, it’s often easily lost in conversations like these.
DC,
I understand the point you are making. But consider early in the season you said Carey would never accept not being in the starting lineup. With his skills he would expect starting. (Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost positive you said this to a poster.
Either way, I give David Cox credit for moving Carey out of the starting line up after just 2 games replacing him with Malik Martin. So there’s an example of Cox not being afraid to make a move.
Also after 2 games he replaced Makhi Mitchell with Makhel Mitchell even though Makhi was the more highly rated and publicized of the two. Again Cox making a move that has really turned out well as Makhel continues to prosper.
Next he recently replaced Martin with Betrand.

I like the moves. The results of the moves should be judged for their results. I’m impressed so far.

I think the season needs to play out before we grade David Cox and the assistants.
The A10 Tournament is the key to an NCAA bid - winning it.

So David Cox needs his best starting lineup and substitution plan in place for the A10 Tourney - then win it.

The whole time out criticism I don’t think about. It’s the results at the end of the season that matter.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago There are so many layers to this that some miss.

Let’s start here. When you recruit kids like Jalen, you recruit the family, the coaches, the advisors and the pipeline associated with the kid. There is so much more than what meets the eye when you are trying to build your reputation as a coach. I think Cox learned this the hard way with the rash of turnovers last year.

If you bench a kid like Carey, who was highly touted and highly ranked, it’s a double edged sword. The family and all those connections begin to attribute faults directly to the coach. In turn, that CAN possibly sour that pipeline. Coaches, advisors and handlers will use Jalen as a prime example of why a kid should not choose to come to said school. It’s a slippery slope.

Carey was quoted as saying a few things that made him decide to come here over other P5 destinations. One being that, he felt coach would allow him to find his way without being punished. Confidence is more than 50% of what is required to be a successful basketball player...at any level.

As a fan, I too, am frustrated with the kid. Ish should be the 6th man off the bench. However, Turning your back on Jalen is a sure fire way to do two things, continue to kill his confidence and ultimately result in another transfer. Kids like him, due to his influences, will not accept him riding the pine. Here’s that slippery slope again. It’s such a delicate IMbalance, it sucks.

It’s easy for fans of the team to say what they would do, because the recourse will never be obviously seen. But being a coach is so much more than X’s and O’s and player development, it’s often easily lost in conversations like these.
DC,
I understand the point you are making. But consider early in the season you said Carey would never accept not being in the starting lineup. With his skills he would expect starting. (Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost positive you said this to a poster.
Either way, I give David Cox credit for moving Carey out of the starting line up after just 2 games replacing him with Malik Martin. So there’s an example of Cox not being afraid to make a move.
Also after 2 games he replaced Makhi Mitchell with Makhel Mitchell even though Makhi was the more highly rated and publicized of the two. Again Cox making a move that has really turned out well as Makhel continues to prosper.
Next he recently replaced Martin with Betrand.

I like the moves. The results of the moves should be judged for their results. I’m impressed so far.

I think the season needs to play out before we grade David Cox and the assistants.
The A10 Tournament is the key to an NCAA bid - winning it.

So David Cox needs his best starting lineup and substitution plan in place for the A10 Tourney - then win it.

The whole time out criticism I don’t think about. It’s the results at the end of the season that matter.
I did say that. And I believe the appropriate adjustments have been made to date. I want the best for the kid, and believe he deserves the opportunity to play out of his funk. I think coaches should penalize kids who make mistakes and show no emotion or care about making them. The kid cares. You can see it.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I agree 100% with DC.
I have been critical about Carey's ball handling on this board during games but at this point this board should stop beating a dead horse and let the kid play and not keep criticizing him. I believe it only puts additional pressure on him to play his game. Leave him alone and let's see what happens.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can’t totally bench the kid he needs to play but only play him 8-12 minutes a game . Can’t play him more than that as our other players are just more effective
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I guess I missed it, but I don't think people on here want Carey benched? I certainly don't. I still want him to develop and think he could be a great player down the road. Agree with Reef that he needs to cut some of his minutes, though. We need Ish on the floor more.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I feel like Carey is one of the guys that may be suffering from the lack of practice time this season. He looks and moves like an true athlete, with some need for increased court presence. Reps and reflection seem to be needed in Carey's case. Does anyone know if the team might record and review their practices?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I guess I missed it, but I don't think people on here want Carey benched? I certainly don't. I still want him to develop and think he could be a great player down the road. Agree with Reef that he needs to cut some of his minutes, though. We need Ish on the floor more.
A lot of people do, almost every game thread people are calling for Carey to be benched.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago I feel like Carey is one of the guys that may be suffering from the lack of practice time this season. He looks and moves like an true athlete, with some need for increased court presence. Reps and reflection seem to be needed in Carey's case. Does anyone know if the team might record and review their practices?
They watch film ad nauseam.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Expectations are always high for new recruits and transfers - After all, we're fans. There typically isn't much of a pattern as to who works and who doesn't, since most transfers are coming in with minimal stats. Scott Hazelton and Ben Eaves both transferred into URI from UConn in the same era of basketball - one worked out great, one was barely a regular.

Carey has the type of athleticism and recruiting pedigree that you absolutely take him if he wants to transfer in. However, my suspicion is that his minutes are going to continue to be dwindle unless he can somehow develop a better outside jumper. He's just not a threat from the perimeter, and because teams don't have to respect his jumper, it's also resulting in the team's highest turnovers-per-40 rate. I think it made sense to go with him early in the season, because he's used to the rigors of a college basketball season, but it's also clear now with the sample size we have that he's behind Fatts, Sheppard, Ish, Betrand and Martin in the guard/wing pecking order.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I do like what Carey can bring to the table, if he cleans up his ball security.
He will never be a sniper but his athleticism to penetrate and attack the rim, along with his pull up mid range jumper does create problems for the opposition.
He is also an excellent rebounder at the guard position and has a nose for the ball.
I am confident that it will all come together for him and he will be a valuable contributor in the future.
I don't see Cox currently burying him on the bench, but his minutes may be shortened with the strong play of Ish.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago I feel like Carey is one of the guys that may be suffering from the lack of practice time this season. He looks and moves like an true athlete, with some need for increased court presence. Reps and reflection seem to be needed in Carey's case. Does anyone know if the team might record and review their practices?
Film of what though?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Film of what though?
I had a great one liner for this, but I’ll let you use your imagination.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Film of what though?
I had a great one liner for this, but I’ll let you use your imagination.
So did I... :lol:
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Count me among those that hope Jalen doesn’t get too much run this year. Too erratic and careless with the ball. Seems like a feast or famine type of player with no in-between. Not sure his handle is reliable. Sit him and give Berry his minutes. Let’s see if Cox has the fortitude to do it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Count me among those that hope Jalen doesn’t get too much run this year. Too erratic and careless with the ball. Seems like a feast or famine type of player with no in-between. Not sure his handle is reliable. Sit him and give Berry his minutes. Let’s see if Cox has the fortitude to do it.
Would like to see Tres get some run, but I am not ready yet to completely give up on Carey, hope he surprises us.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Count me among those that hope Jalen has an awesome season.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Hope you’re right there buddy.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Count me among those that hope Jalen has an awesome season.
We all want that.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Where is the love for Jalen Carey's SOLID performance ? Fg: 6-9 , ft: 4-7 , 16 points , 7 rebounds , 2 assists , and 27 minutes played , most on team ! I KNOW it's JWU but based on last night he could be playing much more than anyone here anticipated if he continues to stay under control , athletic and very talented !
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Wishing Jalen continued success! He will get his opportunities this season. It's up to him to execute and contribute. If he keeps the game simple and plays within himself he will succeed. He is a plus athlete that has an edge. He has some bark and needs to play in an open system. Cox said he was going to press more this season and play faster. This suites Jalen. Less ISO ball and more player and ball movement. Get Jalen out on the break and get him into quick hitter situations and he will succeed. I have not given up on this guy and I think if he gains his confidence back he will be very good off the bench.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Where is the love for Jalen Carey's SOLID performance ? Fg: 6-9 , ft: 4-7 , 16 points , 7 rebounds , 2 assists , and 27 minutes played , most on team ! I KNOW it's JWU but based on last night he could be playing much more than anyone here anticipated if he continues to stay under control , athletic and very talented !
Did you not read the game thread? A few of us said he looked great. He is way too big and fast for a team like JWU. If he can have a few games like this against D1 talent I'll be very excited.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Carey did look good for most of the game until he started throwing crazy passes to nobody (3 times). But he definitely looked better than last year. The competition? Maybe. Obviously a much better athlete than anybody on JWU. But hopefully he limits turnovers. That's his biggest problem. We can definitely use his athleticism.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Carey was turnover city last year. If he limits his TOs and is able to use his athleticism around the basket he’ll be a nice addition.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Him having legitimately zero shooting range just makes him an odd piece on this roster. I’m hopeful he can limit turnovers and make the most of his athleticism but what type of lineups do you play him in?

Has to be rolled out with two other guards or otherwise whatever lineup combo you roll out is far too one dimensional.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Him having legitimately zero shooting range just makes him an odd piece on this roster. I’m hopeful he can limit turnovers and make the most of his athleticism but what type of lineups do you play him in?

Has to be rolled out with two other guards or otherwise whatever lineup combo you roll out is far too one dimensional.

I hope I am wrong, and this year is better than last year for him. Yes, he is essentially a 3 with two other guards on the floor. I see him big enough and athletic enough to play upfront but certainly not a prime ballhandler. Hopefully, he has improved his shooting and can draw fouls at the rimand finish at the rim.

On defense, He is no Stan Robinson on defense and I did not see any willingness to take charges last year.

If these downsides have not improved, I just hope Cox cuts any experiment with him early in the season.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Him having legitimately zero shooting range just makes him an odd piece on this roster. I’m hopeful he can limit turnovers and make the most of his athleticism but what type of lineups do you play him in?

His strengths appear to be the ability to run the floor and I think he has shown flashes of his athleticism on the offensive glass. If they truly are committed to the running game ( there were flashes of that last night) I think he fits that style for 10- 12 minutes a game as long as he is a wingman and not a primary ballhandler.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yet when Carey and Thomas were on the court together, Carey was bringing the ball up the court on several occasions. Why? Yeah, you can get away with that against a non-athletic team like JWU, but will this continue? Will Cox let it continue? I don't want to see the ball in his hands at all until the ball crosses half court. I've said that he played pretty well last night, but he threw 3 wild passes that resulted in turnovers. No, that doesn't hurt when you're up by 40 or 50 points, but in a close game, they will kill you.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Yet when Carey and Thomas were on the court together, Carey was bringing the ball up the court on several occasions. Why? Yeah, you can get away with that against a non-athletic team like JWU, but will this continue? Will Cox let it continue? I don't want to see the ball in his hands at all until the ball crosses half court. I've said that he played pretty well last night, but he threw 3 wild passes that resulted in turnovers. No, that doesn't hurt when you're up by 40 or 50 points, but in a close game, they will kill you.
I’m not even worried about turnovers or being the primarily ball handler. Give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s better this year. Seems pretty straight forward how to defend a team with legitimately 1 shooter on the floor
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope this season he realizes his potential. Go Rhody!
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Carey was turnover city last year. If he limits his TOs and is able to use his athleticism around the basket he’ll be a nice addition.
He needs to find a few spots on the floor he is confident to take an open shot. Too many turnovers were after passing up an open shot and driving into heavy traffic in the lane. He is very quick and fights for rebounds and plays good D when he isn't gambling too much.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Most people on here have given up on Carey. However, I see an improved player this year.

I still worry about his turnovers, but Carey could be that additional scoring option this team needs off the bench. If he can continue to make an impact, we may avoid some of these horrible spurts..

I feel like he's one of a few players who could end up being a star if everything clicked. How many guys on our team can pull off that beautiful cross and step back and then come back with a very athletic dunk? Obviously, he would need to make a massive jump to become anything more than a role player, but some of his shots last night got me excited about his potential. Which is rare these days.

Let's get Carey some extra minutes in these next two cupcakes and see what he can do!!

In the three games Carey has played over 10 minutes....

PPG- 7.3
2pt Fg- 88%
Free Throw- 83%
3 pt- 100% (he has only shot one)
TOV- 2

Per 40 minutes stats

PPG- 17 (1st on team)
Rebs- 6
Ast-1.5
Tov- 5 (2nd on team)
FG%- 75% (1st on team)
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Most people on here have given up on Carey. However, I see an improved player this year.

I still worry about his turnovers, but Carey could be that additional scoring option this team needs off the bench. If he can continue to make an impact, we may avoid some of these horrible spurts..

I feel like he's one of a few players who could end up being a star if everything clicked. How many guys on our team can pull off that beautiful cross and step back and then come back with a very athletic dunk? Obviously, he would need to make a massive jump to become anything more than a role player, but some of his shots last night got me excited about his potential. Which is rare these days.

Let's get Carey some extra minutes in these next two cupcakes and see what he can do!!

In the three games Carey has played over 10 minutes....

PPG- 7.3
2pt Fg- 88%
Free Throw- 83%
3 pt- 100% (he has only shot one)
TOV- 2

Per 40 minutes stats

PPG- 17 (1st on team)
Rebs- 6
Ast-1.5
Tov- 5 (2nd on team)
FG%- 75% (1st on team)
I agree, and Coach should let him play a lot of minutes the next few games; even to the point of letting him play thru a few mistakes. He has a ton of talent.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes no doubt much improved over last year and definitely deserves more minutes
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

On Jalens Instagram story he completely destroyed his Dodge Challenger in a car crash. From what he said he seems alright physically but the car is definitely totaled. Hoping for only minor injuries and a quick recovery. Glad he is ok as the results could have been much worse. RIP Terrence Clark. Forever.
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Jalen Carey With recruits

Unread post by BruceW »

So Archie is building a team. I get that. Bringing in some real talent. All I will say is next year. Jalen Carey will have a break out year. He is ready and Archie will develop him well. The backcourt will be Jalen and the transfer from Setan Hall. I think it will be a very good one. Time will tell.
Last edited by BruceW 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jalen Carey

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago So Archie is building a team. I get that. Bringing in some real talent. All I will say is next year. Jalen Carey will have a break out year. He is ready and Archie will develop him well. The backcourt will be Jalen and the transfer from Setan Hall. I think it will be a very good one. Time will tell.
This discussion/thread , needs to move out of Recruitment Corner.
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

The post I wrote was addressing Archie building a team. That goes hand in hand with recruiting.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago The post I wrote was addressing Archie building a team. That goes hand in hand with recruiting.
Jalen Carey is not a recruit, has been here for 2 years.

We have threads for that in NCAA or Bust.

Just making a suggestion to you.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Jalen Carey With recruits

Unread post by jcru »

This is the droid you are looking for:

Official Recruitment Corner Jalen Carey Thread

Hence, we don't have redundant threads for one individual player.
0 x