'20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri ---> Austin Peay ---> Siena)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: '20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri > ???)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

No particular reason other than I do not know Iggy and his ties to Rhody as well as you or others here. No offense to Iggy intended.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy is rarely wrong.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago No particular reason other than I do not know Iggy and his ties to Rhody as well as you or others here. No offense to Iggy intended.
Too late...now you've gone and done it ;)
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Hoping Coach 40 can get us In with Weston.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Iggy is the man!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Iggy is rarely wrong.
Thanks, 74 and 83, I appreciate the correction regarding Iggy’s insight and I’ll do my best to remember. I can’t promise I won’t stumble or forget at times, though, as my brain isn’t as sharp it used to be for various reasons. Shoot,74, I even have trouble distinguishing between you and 72, theblueram and blueman, and the Pete’s, too, at times (no offense intended to any of you).

Anyway, I trust you all will nudge me to keep me on the path when I wander off again.

Carry on.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks, 74 and 83, I appreciate the correction regarding Iggy’s insight and I’ll do my best to remember. I can’t promise I won’t stumble or forget at times, though, as my brain isn’t as sharp it used to be for various reasons. Shoot,74, I even have trouble distinguishing between you and 72, theblueram and blueman, and the Pete’s, too, at times (no offense intended to any of you).

Anyway, I trust you all will nudge me to keep me on the path when I wander off again.

Carry on.
Shame on you!!! JK JK...You're super kind to everyone on here Jdrums. Great poster.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, in fairness, this isn't the first time Iggy has made that exact comment.

So, my question is, if Archie was waiting on Femi to make a decision, and clearly that decision was made, probably yesterday or earlier, whenever Femi and Archie stopped following each other on social media, does that open up a pathway to Sean coming here? Or is Archie no longer interested at all?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Carry on.
Shame on you!!! JK JK...You're super kind to everyone on here Jdrums. Great poster.

+1
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Anyway, getting back to Sean. Sean seems like a legitimate talent. That showing vs Kansas was impressive. 11 pts in just a few minutes. 5-5 FT. We've seen the videos of him knocking down threes, including at the Ryan Center. The athleticism. So, those things are all positives.

So, can anyone pin down the reason why he didn't see more time at Mizzou and/or he might not be a good fit here?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, in fairness, this isn't the first time Iggy has made that exact comment.

So, my question is, if Archie was waiting on Femi to make a decision, and clearly that decision was made, probably yesterday or earlier, whenever Femi and Archie stopped following each other on social media, does that open up a pathway to Sean coming here? Or is Archie no longer interested at all?
Time will tell the answer to that question.
Archie has mentioned a few times now that the roster may not be completed until August. He is going to be patient. He believes some good players will be available when the portal shakes out and that RI will be in a good position to offer a few the playing time they are looking for.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My life’s dream is to introduce 83 to Iggy.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I suddenly have a hankering for doughboys and clam chowder in Oakland Beach
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I suddenly have a hankering for doughboys and clam chowder in Oakland Beach
The good old days of the shuttle bus come to my mind instead.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Even though it seems like both Duru and Rhody have moved on from each other, I still wouldn't mind him being a part of our roster.

I feel he can be an impact player at our level.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago My life’s dream is to introduce 83 to Iggy.
I would like that.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

All I know is that they strongly preferred Femi over Sean. They saw Femi as a difference maker. They could've had Sean weeks ago. I don't know their level of interest right now.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not qualified to pick the brain of Archie Miller. At the same time, I think we can agree that recruiting is not an exact science, even with transfers, and we would have killed to collect a talent like this in years past.

I was wondering, it would seem that Sean is big into self promotion. I didn't know if maybe that was the problem. And if possibly that was the problem at Mizzou. But, you know what they say, it's technically not bragging, if you are really that good and can back it up.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm not qualified to pick the brain of Archie Miller. At the same time, I think we can agree that recruiting is not an exact science, even with transfers, and we would have killed to collect a talent like this in years past.

I was wondering, it would seem that Sean is big into self promotion. I didn't know if maybe that was the problem. And if possibly that was the problem at Mizzou. But, you know what they say, it's technically not bragging, if you are really that good and can back it up.
I think the concern is shooting. And for a college transfer he is unproven.
Archie would prefer a transfer with more college experience.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago All I know is that they strongly preferred Femi over Sean. They saw Femi as a difference maker. They could've had Sean weeks ago. I don't know their level of interest right now.
But the new question now is does he want Sean over Weston or the other way around
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, not to split hairs, but if the concern is shooting, Femi is not a great shooter. From his highlight videos he pretty much bulldozes to the rim in heavy traffic over and over and does have a mid range jumper that he uses to a lesser extent.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago All I know is that they strongly preferred Femi over Sean. They saw Femi as a difference maker. They could've had Sean weeks ago. I don't know their level of interest right now.
But the new question now is does he want Sean over Weston or the other way around
Neither have much college game experience. If I recall Weston shot well in high school. Sean’s advantage is his insane athleticism.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Neither have much college game experience. If I recall Weston shot well in high school. Sean’s advantage is his insane athleticism.
Seems like my inclination was right here with the delays on our side. I'm not sold on him. I would be open to taking him if we needed to fill spots. That was a really bad team and he had a hard time cracking the rotation. He's athletic but remember we are talking about Div 1 basketball here. Being able to do a windmill dunk is not special. I want to see more than that out of a basketball player. Guys that have never suited up before can do dunks like that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great athletes with little BB IQ are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Archie wants smart basketball players.

We have had too many of the other kind here lately.

Getting great athletes who are also high IQ types end up at the blue bloods. As in 5 stars.

Look at Davidson....they might not be the greatest athletes, but they are high IQ and they win.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Who else is recruiting this guy?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not saying you are wrong, 78. Far from it. I have often thought things like this, but kept them too myself, because we aren't supposed to say things like that out loud about the players on a public forum.

That being said, at the same time, I remember when Harrick was here, and this kid would basically be like a Tavoris Bell, if what you are suggesting is true. I don't think that is the entire story here, I think he is more of a shooting guard than T-Bell was. My point is, when Harrick was here, if the kid was this athletic and could actually pass his classes, it was like two scoops of raisins, we were dancing in the streets. Nevermind high basketball IQ.

So this is a departure for sure. Not an unwelcome one. I'm not sure you are going to be able to get high IQ every time however
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The more posts I see from this kid, the less I want him.

He's got a huge ego - which isn't great in a team who's mentality will be team-first defense, and an un-selfish transition attack.

Also, as a basketball player nothing I've read or watched tells me he's got an elite BBIQ or a great shot - which I think are staples of an Archie target.

He's got unrelenting athleticism, can't take that away. But having watched 4 years of "athletes trying to play basketball" I'm all set. Go get me basketball players and shooters please.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The more posts I see from this kid, the less I want him.

He's got a huge ego - which isn't great in a team who's mentality will be team-first defense, and an un-selfish transition attack.

Also, as a basketball player nothing I've read or watched tells me he's got an elite BBIQ or a great shot - which I think are staples of an Archie target.

He's got unrelenting athleticism, can't take that away. But having watched 4 years of "athletes trying to play basketball" I'm all set. Go get me basketball players and shooters please.
Bingo ☝️
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If Archie wanted him he would be here now.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

MTK4L wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The more posts I see from this kid, the less I want him.

Bingo ☝️
Shooters wanted!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I still want him - unrelenting athleticism has a place even amongst a team of skilled players. You can't just throw together a bunch of athletes and expect good basketball, but you can have a few and do more then fine. I think we have mostly cleaned house on low BBIQ guys, jury is still out on Jalen but I think he progressed significantly last year and if he keeps at it will be even better next year.

The only problem with Sean is that he is the only recruit we know about for a wing spot. Add him to the team with another high IQ / excellent shooter and I think it is a signing that makes a lot of sense.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

I still want him - unrelenting athleticism has a place even amongst a team of skilled players. You can't just throw together a bunch of athletes and expect good basketball, but you can have a few and do more then fine. I think we have mostly cleaned house on low BBIQ guys, jury is still out on Jalen but I think he progressed significantly last year and if he keeps at it will be even better next year.

The only problem with Sean is that he is the only recruit we know about for a wing spot. Add him to the team with another high IQ / excellent shooter and I think it is a signing that makes a lot of sense.
That's fair, and you are right. As long as the majority are shooters/ball players, having a freak athlete or two is definitely not a bad thing.

Again, I'll be excited to see him bounce out of the gym if he comes - but I won't cry if he doesn't.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I read an article from the end of Archie's coaching days at Indiana where it said he felt he got too impressed and reliant on pure athletes there when recruiting.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

Still there are many coaching styles out there. 22 years ago, Harrick was all about getting the best athletes and running a basic offense for them and just let their athleticism take over. I'm not expecting Archie to do that, and it sounds like he has no intension of doing that.

I think if you are going to have one player on your team that is going to be athletic, a little selfish, overly confident, you probably want it to be at the shooting guard position. Or a swing man. They have to pass the ball back sometime, yeah, but usually once the ball reaches their hands you are expecting them to get the ball to the hoop one way or the other if they have an open lane or an open look.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He left Missouri way back on January 21.
Now mid May and teams are filling out their rosters

Long time to still be undecided
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

That's fair, and you are right. As long as the majority are shooters/ball players, having a freak athlete or two is definitely not a bad thing.

Again, I'll be excited to see him bounce out of the gym if he comes - but I won't cry if he doesn't.
My hope is we are putting a full-court press on landing Weston. He's a program changer.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is there a thread for the Weston Kid?
0 x
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If he will listen to good coaching I am not worried about his ego. I'm fine with whatever the coaching staff decides as long as they build us a winner.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Is there a thread for the Weston Kid?
Sadly no, all we know is that the day after he put his name is that Archie started following him on Twitter which from previous instances means he’s interested and probably has talked to Weston, but that’s all we know so far
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sadly no, all we know is that the day after he put his name is that Archie started following him on Twitter which from previous instances means he’s interested and probably has talked to Weston, but that’s all we know so far
And now Thorr is following him too.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Shhhh........
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

👀 👀
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

here were go
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Run silent, run deep.

That was also the name of a movie a long time ago. One of my dads favorites. The movie was about about submarines in WWII, I believe (never watched it - will have to one of these days).

This staff is like the US Navy Submarine Corp of college bb recruiting…very stealthy. 8-)
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Don't know what gives with this player's recruitment or if Archie has moved on from him . BTW "Run silent Run Deep" is a classic WW11 movie
starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster and there are future stars such as Jack Warden and Don Rickles in bit parts .
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Since we are talking about movies - my fave song from this movie …. This one goes out to the nonbelievers and Debbie downers on this board

Kiss me once, then kiss me twice
Then kiss me once again
It's been a long, long time
Haven't felt like this, my dear
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Limoncellos are on the house tonight

Ring the bell and LETS GO RANGERS !!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Committed to Austin Peay.

0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Committed Austin Peay
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was just going to post it. You guys are quick.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Feels like he overplayed his hand waiting for a P5 school to emerge.
0 x