The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Portal Kombat....love it.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Did OO join him ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Did OO join him ??
No. He is going to Iowa State.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting....and here I had been thinking all along that Otzelberger was the prototypical flincher. Who knew??
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Staff identifying high level talent in the Transfer Portal. Very impressive addition if we can land Harris. Love this.

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/t ... -jam-crown

A total of seven Top 150 ranked prospects in the country dot the Takeover roster, including two Top 50 members of the Class of 2020 in Paul VI guard Jeremy Roach and 7-footer Hunter Dickinson. Other headline names include five-star Armando Bacot, Villanova recruit Justin Moore, UVA commit Casey Morsell and four-star guard Anthony Harris.

PREP
Played for Paul VI Catholic High School for coach Glenn Farello in Fairfax, Va. • Tore his ACL in December of his senior year in high school • Averaged 12.9 points his junior year • Played for Team Takeover in the EYBL with Tar Heel classmate Armando Bacot • Averaged 8.2 points per game, shooting 43 percent from three-point range • Won of the 2018 EYBL Peach Jam Classic • Won the WCAC regular season championship with Paul VI Catholic his junior year.

https://goheels.com/sports/mens-basketb ... rris/22526
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

That’s not Brandon Weston…
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Staff identifying high level talent in the Transfer Portal. Very impressive addition if we can land Harris. Love this.

A total of seven Top 150 ranked prospects in the country dot the Takeover roster, including two Top 50 members of the Class of 2020 in Paul VI guard Jeremy Roach and 7-footer Hunter Dickinson. Other headline names include five-star Armando Bacot, Villanova recruit Justin Moore, UVA commit Casey Morsell and four-star guard Anthony Harris.

PREP
Played for Paul VI Catholic High School for coach Glenn Farello in Fairfax, Va. • Tore his ACL in December of his senior year in high school • Averaged 12.9 points his junior year • Played for Team Takeover in the EYBL with Tar Heel classmate Armando Bacot • Averaged 8.2 points per game, shooting 43 percent from three-point range • Won of the 2018 EYBL Peach Jam Classic • Won the WCAC regular season championship with Paul VI Catholic his junior year.

Cox identified and landed high level talent in the portal as well.

Harris is injury plagued and has no collegiate production.

To me at least, this kid would be a question mark.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Staff identifying high level talent in the Transfer Portal. Very impressive addition if we can land Harris. Love this.

PREP

Yes, always a question mark especially with his history of injuries.

He was a very highly rated recruit out of HS and he does have the talent.

A change of scenery will probably do him well.
If he commits here and is able to stay healthy, I think he can be a great addition.

I have confidence this staff will bring out the best in these players.

Bray was a very solid portal addition, let's see how Archie fills out the rest of the roster.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rothstein has 3 transfers from the A10 starting for Iowa State in the B12.

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PREP

We aren't going to land kids this talented that don't have question marks. Cox didn't get the best of his guys. Archie will. This would be a huge get.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

PREP

We aren't going to land kids this talented that don't have question marks. Cox didn't get the best of his guys. Archie will. This would be a huge get.
I'd be quite happy to get him or Weston both who had injuries last season. Harris spent last season on the eventual runner up NCAA Championship Team. I'd love him to take that experience to Rhode Island.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wow the Bonnies cew completely bailed on Olean lol

I just think that's kinda messed up ya know?

We kinda had the same happen with Fatts, but with the Bonnies that's like if EC, JT and Hass up and left for their last years or something.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Wow the Bonnies cew completely bailed on Olean lol

We kinda had the same happen with Fatts, but with the Bonnies that's like if EC, JT and Hass up and left for their last years or something.
They were four-year seniors with degrees, presumably. How much of their career are they obligated to spend at St. Bonaventure?
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Prep work for pro careers.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting....and here I had been thinking all along that Otzelberger was the prototypical flincher. Who knew??
You mean I trademarked Osunshine State Osunniyi for nothing?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 1 year ago
You mean I trademarked Osunshine State Osunniyi for nothing?
The guys that don't flinch...the Otzelbergers of the world...make things happen
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Wow the Bonnies cew completely bailed on Olean lol

Nope it’s actually not the same whatsoever.

If we didn’t have a legitimate once a century pandemic, these kids wouldn’t be at St Bonnie’s next year.

You really gonna say it’s messed up the kids left after spending 4 years in college and using a freak rule to try something different??

Fatts stayed thru a coaching change, graduated, and played four full years here.

Would you be pissed and hate EC Hassan and Jared if they delivered us A10 titles and NCAA wins in their 4 years, and then leaving for a year we wouldn’t normally have them anyways?

People still not understanding this blows my mind.
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we didn’t have a legitimate once a century pandemic, these kids wouldn’t be at St Bonnie’s next year.

You really gonna say it’s messed up the kids left after spending 4 years in college and using a freak rule to try something different??

Fatts stayed thru a coaching change, graduated, and played four full years here.

Would you be pissed and hate EC Hassan and Jared if they delivered us A10 titles and NCAA wins in their 4 years, and then leaving for a year we wouldn’t normally have them anyways?

No I very much understand the covid year.

And yes it's understandable but I said it's KINDA messed up.

Bonnie fans loved those dudes and they just had a disappointing NIT season and they bail!

Sorry, but it is like EC, JT and Hass leaving. Those guys are St Bonaventure all time greats! And they LEFT to play somewhere else because St Bonaventure isn't good enough!

That's kinda fucked up!

How much better will they be playing at Iowa State and Florida?

Yeah they get to go experience a different environment, maybe it'll help them, but imagine if we had 3 or 4 all time greats during covid and they all just up and transfer after a disappointing season.

The real question is

How did Mark Schmidt fuck up a team that was a 9 seed into being well outside the tournament?

Maybe they are tired of his ass.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Bonnie fans loved those dudes and they just had a disappointing NIT season and they bail!

Sorry, but it is like EC, JT and Hass leaving. Those guys are St Bonaventure all time greats! And they LEFT to play somewhere else because St Bonaventure isn't good enough!

That's kinda fucked up!

Yeah they get to go experience a different environment, maybe it'll help them, but imagine if we had 3 or 4 all time greats during covid and they all just up and transfer after a disappointing season.

The real question is

How did Mark Schmidt fuck up a team that was a 9 seed into being well outside the tournament?

This is what makes it messed up to me - excellent point that they didn’t actually do well. However, the opposite point is also true, that they had that team and still couldn’t make the tournament.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

That's kinda fucked up!

The real question is

This is what makes it messed up to me - excellent point that they didn’t actually do well. However, the opposite point is also true, that they had that team and still couldn’t make the tournament.
Maybe they just felt after 4 years in Olean and earning their degrees there, it was time for a change of scenery. Also they probably want to test their skills at a P5 school, don’t blame them.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I felt last year was their last go round to see if they can get it done as a group, they underachieved reg season then had a nice run in the NIT

I knew they would break up
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Filling 12 scholarships is becoming the norm.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Filling 12 scholarships is becoming the norm.
I wouldn't say that is the norm.

Most of all the A10 teams last season were at their limit of 13.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Last season most schools had scholarship players that did not count against their limit of 13.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago

Last season most schools had scholarship players that did not count against their limit of 13.
Correct, and because of that many schools exceeded the 13 scholarships.

Just looking at comparisons in prior years, don't think we can make the determination that not filling all the scholarships has become the norm.

Much depends on how the roster is constructed and how the coach views any of the remaining recruits/transfers.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NCAAT still handing out waivers, no problem.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rothstein needs to get with the real world. Seedless watermelon is not as good as the reg'lar. Everyone knows that. Plus, there's something to be said for spitting seeds and telling kids that a watermelon is going to grow in their stomach if they eat the seeds. And lastly, who hasn't tried to see how far they could propel a seed when squeezed between thumb and forefinger...?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Have heard/read Archie, Cooley & Hurley all recently mention wanting to leave a scholarship open. The comments were around having a spot should a strong in-season transfer become available.
Last edited by Rhody83 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Have heard/read Archie, Cooley & Hurley all recently mention wanting to leave a scholarship open. The comments were are having a spot should a strong in-season transfer become available.
I'd like to hear about all the times A10 coaches did that and it actually made a difference. Even a few anecdotes would do... ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dibaji Walker lands at Appalachian State after departing UMASS

https://appstatesports.com/news/2022/5/ ... alker.aspx
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Have heard/read Archie, Cooley & Hurley all recently mention wanting to leave a scholarship open. The comments were are having a spot should a strong in-season transfer become available.
I'd like to hear about all the times A10 coaches did that and it actually made a difference. Even a few anecdotes would do... ;)
Kuran Iverson
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Kuran Iverson
Good one, loved KI.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Brandon Weston - another one off the board. GREAT get Archie.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Portal Kombat
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Brandon Weston - another one off the board. GREAT get Archie.
Heck yeah I love the way he is putting the pieces together can’t wait to watch the team grow and come together
3 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

not sure what the best place to put it but it's interesting

0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RAMFAN wrote: 1 year ago not sure what the best place to put it but it's interesting

Damn, Goodman point blank says the Mitchells have gotten two coaches fired, and he dropped Arkansas down five spots once they announced they were going there. Ouch.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would love to see the Mitchells get their third successive coach fired. It would be great to see Musselman get what he deserves.
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I would love to see the Mitchells get their third successive coach fired. It would be great to see Musselman get what he deserves.
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I would love to see the Mitchells get their third successive coach fired. It would be great to see Musselman get what he deserves.
That may be a near impossible task since Musselman for all his warts is a damn good basketball coach. But still really perplexing that he took both of these guys when he had Arkansas the preseason number 1 ranked team according to Goodman. If he turns these guys into productive, team first guys then he should be in the hall of fame. Empty stats on a bad team will not cut it at Arkansas.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is exactly the kind of veteran big, I would want.
He is a grad transfer and has put up good numbers.
Kenny should be well aware of him, since he played in Brooklyn.

He is from and played in Toronto, Canada.

Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Agree, a big who can start right away. Allows the young bigs a year to develop. If Samb, Foumena and Stewart can all contribute by their sophomore years, we're in good shape there for a while.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago This is exactly the kind of veteran big, I would want.
Kenny should be well aware of him, since he is from Brooklyn.

He also played in Toronto, Ca.

Agreed, Jersey. Sounds like a good option. One year left and helps with the development of the young bigs as a mentor and a challenge to practice against.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

and if he is looking for international exposure, we do have a pretty decent network of international players. Plus with Archie here, we are certainly going to be getting more attention than we have in the past.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Agree, a big who can start right away. Allows the young bigs a year to develop. If Samb, Foumena and Stewart can all contribute by their sophomore years, we're in good shape there for a while.

78, are you mind melding me? (An original Star Trek reference for the non-Star Trekies)

If you aren’t mind melding me then, the professor is gonna think I’m looking over at your answers.

:lol:
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago This is exactly the kind of veteran big, I would want.
Kenny should be well aware of him, since he played in Brooklyn.

He is also from and played in Toronto, Canada.

Agreed, Jersey. Sounds like a good option. One year left and helps with the development of the young bigs as a mentor and a challenge to practice against.
Being from Toronto and played in Brooklyn, should have a connection with both Kenny and Duane.

At this point, I don't expect to get the top P6 caliber bigs, but he isn't a bad fallback plan.
0 x