Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I really like the way Archie is putting together this roster with some intriguing prospects.
Also, building for the future with some nice balance.

It seems Archies's philosophy flies int the face of several posters here, who basically dissed HS/prep recruiting and felt that the portal is the new wave.

However, I still feel he will fill in with some veterans to push and help develop the young guys.
Especially when we are going through this rebuild process.

But his primary focus and emphasis will be on recruiting from the HS/Prep ranks.

Although our success won't be immediate, our program looks to be solid going forward.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I really like the way Archie is putting together this roster with some intriguing prospects.

It seems Archies's philosophy flies int the face of several posters here, who basically dissed HS/prep recruiting and felt that the portal is the new wave.

However, I still feel he will fill in with some veterans to push and help develop the young guys.

But his primary focus and emphasis will be on recruiting form the HS/Prep ranks.

Although our success won't be immediate, our program looks to be solid going forward.
Hopefully Archie knows that he has to keep recruiting his players for all four years.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I really like the way Archie is putting together this roster with some intriguing prospects.

But his primary focus and emphasis will be on recruiting from the HS/Prep ranks.

Hopefully Archie knows that he has to keep recruiting his players for all four years.
Maybe with Archie, our players will be more likely to stay.

But I am sure he is well aware of what he needs to do.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I believe our success will be immediate and primarily the result of transfer work. That there is some HS/prep recruiting, I don't think flies in the face of anything.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Feel like we’re gonna get 2 more commitments out of no where soon (fingers crossed for this weekend), with summer session on the 23rd I believe Archie will go into the summer session with two scholarships for people during next year or to add late (ex. Sebastian Thomas), but I can’t see him going into summer practices starting soon with four open schollies
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

I believe our success will be immediate and primarily the result of transfer work. That there is some HS/prep recruiting, I don't think flies in the face of anything.
It absolutely flies in the face, because Archie has said on several occasions that HS/Prep recruiting will be his primary focus and only use the portal to fill in.

Many posters here felt that the transfer portal will be the future direction of building a roster.

My idea of true success is being in the NCAAT discussion.
I don't believe that will happen 22-23.

But I think Archie will get on us on the right path, it will just take some time.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

It absolutely flies in the face, because Archie has said on several occasions that HS/Prep recruiting will be his primary focus and only use the portal to fill in.

Many posters here felt that the transfer portal will be the future direction of building a roster.

But I think Archie will get on us on the right path, it will just take some time.
This is true. But if you count Samb as a freshman, we now have 4 freshman. A little balance in the classes is a good thing too. Maybe we get one more frosh (or a transfer like Brandon Weston with 4 years of eligibility), but the rest of the roster has to be a little older. As the classes balance out, then I could see 3 or 4 frosh per year coming in.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wrong...this year's NCAAT run will be fueled by transfers. People seem to not be down with that here, but it is what it is. Can he build up the traditional way, too? Sure...but we're dancing with transfers this year. Stop hating it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wrong...this year's NCAAT run will be fueled by transfers. People seem to not be down with that here, but it is what it is. Can he build up the traditional way, too? Sure...but we're dancing with transfers this year. Stop hating it.
Highly doubtful we are dancing this year so you will need to get over it.

But of course in this transition year transfers will play a larger role.

My issue is that many feel that the portal will be the primary source of roster building going forward and I had always argued that we still need to lay the foundation with recruits, which is how Archie feels.

I don't hate using transfers, as a matter a fact I posted many times we need to bring in some experience to help push and develop the young guys.

Although as time moves on, the less impact players will be available in the portal.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My issue is that many feel that the portal will be the primary source of roster building going forward and I had always argued that we still need to lay the foundation with recruits, which is how Archie feels.

I don't hate using transfers, as a matter a fact I posted many times we need to bring in some experience to help push and develop the young guys.

Although as time moves on, the less impact players will be available in the portal
Why as time moves on will there be less impact players available in the portal?
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Although as time moves on, the less impact players will be available in the portal
Why at time moves on will there be less impact players available in the portal?
Because every day more and more players in the portal commit while much less at this time are entering it.

The better transfers are generating the most interest and finding landing spots sooner.

Not to say that talent will still be available but getting more difficult.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Post is too long but, exactly ramster. Portal Kombat is a fixture on the landscape. This isn't going to "settle down", this is the new normal, I think. Why wouldn't it be? I'm in high school, thinking how I can rake $ in college, so why wouldn't I move around to/whenever it worked out?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Post is too long but, exactly ramster. Portal Kombat is a fixture on the landscape. This isn't going to "settle down", this is the new normal, I think. Why wouldn't it be? I'm in high school, thinking how I can rake $ in college, so why wouldn't I move around to/whenever it worked out?
1,665 Transfers in the Portal this year. 1800 Transfers last year, BUT they moved the deadline up from July 1 to May 1 this year thereby reducing the window.

I see Transfers at least staying the same, and most likely increasing. The NIL will have a profound impact on Players changing teams. Playing time will remain a major factor in transferring but the idea of more money will drive more and more transfers.

Recruiting Freshmen will always be part of the game but getting older, stronger players who are already proven and at the college level will continue to be a big attraction for College Coaches.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

This is true. But if you count Samb as a freshman, we now have 4 freshman. A little balance in the classes is a good thing too. Maybe we get one more frosh (or a transfer like Brandon Weston with 4 years of eligibility), but the rest of the roster has to be a little older. As the classes balance out, then I could see 3 or 4 frosh per year coming in.
Sure - but we will also see transfers out and in during that time as well. I agree that we have a solid base of player with 4 years of eligibility on the roster now, I also know the reality that one or more will likely transfer because they have not used up the one-time transfer yet to move (up or down), and I have accepted that. It’s about building from the bottom and filling in a neded.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We are getting quality freshmen because of the opportunity for playing time. I'm not interested in older transfers who will start over our better freshmen. URI is a lousy choice for upper-class transfers looking for a place to star and dance. We need younger players, including transfers, who can contribute immediately and commit for the future. This is exactly whom Archie has brought in to date. We need to build a program not become a revolving door.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago We are getting quality freshmen because of the opportunity for playing time. I'm not interested in older transfers who will start over our better freshmen. URI is a lousy choice for upper-class transfers looking for a place to star and dance. We need younger players, including transfers, who can contribute immediately and commit for the future. This is exactly whom Archie has brought in to date. We need to build a program not become a revolving door.
72 - I agree with you but I think we need at least one experienced big for next year. Relying only on freshmen bigs probably is not going to turn out well. I hope 1 or 2 of the guys to be ready to contribute right away, but that will leave some minutes for a guy who has some experience. Also would help for developing the younger guys to go against someone who has played college basketball.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We have 4 slots left. Guys like Ant Harris and Weston won’t come in and instantly lead us to a bid. They are loaded with upside, but they need time. I’m lost on who you think we are going to land that leads us to a bid next year. Archie has said countless times this is not going to be a quick fix. Who he’s been recruiting fits that narrative.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

We have 4 slots left. Guys like Ant Harris and Weston won’t come in and instantly lead us to a bid. They are loaded with upside, but they need time. I’m lost on who you think we are going to land that leads us to a bid next year. Archie has said countless times this is not going to be a quick fix. Who he’s been recruiting fits that narrative.
Yes Stevey, agree 100%. Makes total sense on how he is building this roster.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That's part of the beauty of this re-tool...no one knows who....not even the KB Insiders. It's awesome to (confidently) know nothing, and have that be as much as anyone else knows :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That's part of the beauty of this re-tool...no one knows who....not even the KB Insiders. It's awesome to (confidently) know nothing, and have that be as much as anyone else knows :lol:
I agree but a lot of the big names have been taken. Plenty of talented players left but most have question marks and will need some time. Like I think an Ant Harris and Weston could be starters on an NCAA tournament team but not right away. I’d love an NCAA tournament berth next year but I think it’s unrealistic
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago We are getting quality freshmen because of the opportunity for playing time. I'm not interested in older transfers who will start over our better freshmen. URI is a lousy choice for upper-class transfers looking for a place to star and dance. We need younger players, including transfers, who can contribute immediately and commit for the future. This is exactly whom Archie has brought in to date. We need to build a program not become a revolving door.
72 - I agree with you but I think we need at least one experienced big for next year. Relying only on freshmen bigs probably is not going to turn out well. I hope 1 or 2 of the guys to be ready to contribute right away, but that will leave some minutes for a guy who has some experience. Also would help for developing the younger guys to go against someone who has played college basketball.
The younger players that Archie has recruited are not going to play 40 minutes. There are minutes for an experienced big reserve. It will be difficult to find an experienced big player with much ability who wants to come here as a reserve. I prefer a freshman big man who is a project. But, I have no problem with an experienced big man who can accept a role as a reserve.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

If we are going to compete at the top of the league next year we will need to get much older. In the A10, age and experience wins. We aren't landing Freshman phenoms like Duke and Kentucky does. Providence won this past season with a bunch of 23 and 24 year olds.

Based on the recruiting so far, I don't believe the goal is to compete at the top of the league next year. It's to establish the foundation and a culture of winning. It will be telling how we fill out the rest of this roster. If we go older, then it means Archie thinks we have a chance to compete at the top of the league. If we bring in more Freshmen/younger transfers, then we will know it's going to be a few years before we are raising banners again.

There are many paths we can take. I think we can all be patient, as long as the end result is sustained success.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have not heard much lately from the crowd who thought that hiring Archie Miller would bring us immediate success. Are they just being silent or has reality set in?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I have not heard much lately from the crowd who thought that hiring Archie Miller would bring us immediate success. Are they just being silent or has reality set in?
Wow, I can't believe I missed all of those games that we lost. Where was I?
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
The younger players that Archie has recruited are not going to play 40 minutes. There are minutes for an experienced big reserve. It will be difficult to find an experienced big player with much ability who wants to come here as a reserve. I prefer a freshman big man who is a project. But, I have no problem with an experienced big man who can accept a role as a reserve.
I agree with your point above, 72, regarding freshman playing 40 minutes a game. Imho, the majority of freshman coming into A10 level college bb do not have the strength, stamina, conditioning to play 30-40 minutes a game at a high level from day one.

With just a few young bigs on the roster currently, there is room for an experienced big to start initially and play significant minutes here for a year or two. It would have to be a big willing to come here with the understanding that playing to win the league and play in the tourney may not happen until the 23-24 season unless circumstances break very favorably in our favor.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I have not heard much lately from the crowd who thought that hiring Archie Miller would bring us immediate success. Are they just being silent or has reality set in?
Didn't Archie say when asked "we will be good when we are good"

His emphasis on building a roster will be with HS/Prep players and only using the portal to fill in.
So, we must be patient, it may take a little time.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

His emphasis on building a roster will be with HS/Prep players and only using the portal to fill in.
Some of us get it!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I agree with your point above, 72, regarding freshman playing 40 minutes a game. Imho, the majority of freshman coming into A10 level college bb do not have the strength, stamina, conditioning to play 30-40 minutes a game at a high level from day one.

With just a few young bigs on the roster currently, there is room for an experienced big to start initially and play significant minutes here for a year or two. It would have to be a big willing to come here with the understanding that playing to win the league and play in the tourney may not happen until the 23-24 season unless circumstances break very favorably in our favor.
Depends, David N’Guessan and Harris and I think we run it next year. Those two guys could immediately contribute with Brayon, Ish, Martin, Carey I think we have an immediately ready roster with pieces to grow long term.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Depends, David N’Guessan and Harris and I think we run it next year. Those two guys could immediately contribute with Brayon, Ish, Martin, Carey I think we have an immediately ready roster with pieces to grow long term.
I think David N’Guessan is visiting UMass this weekend.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In Archie we trust.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In Archie we trust.
I was not in favor of hiring David Cox but I gave him every chance to succeed. I would have replaced him a year before Thorr did. I was in favor of hiring Archie Miller and I will give him every chance to succeed. But, my "trust" for Archie has its limits as it did with David. If it becomes apparent that we will not be dancing in 3-4 years, I will be ready to move on. I am not in favor of paying our head basketball coach $2M+ per year for mediocre results. The clock is ticking.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In Archie we trust.
I was not in favor of hiring David Cox but I gave him every chance to succeed. I would have replaced him a year before Thorr did. I was in favor of hiring Archie Miller and I will give him every chance to succeed. But, my "trust" for Archie has its limits as it did with David. If it becomes apparent that we will not be dancing in 3-4 years, I will be ready to move on. I am not in favor of paying our head basketball coach $2M+ per year for mediocre results. The clock is ticking.
Omg, it’s been almost two months and he has yet to win a game! Fire Arch now!
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

In Archie we trust.
You literally suggested Thor give Cox an extension.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
In Archie we trust.
And a significant pay increase along with the extension.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but I think that was just an attempt to add to the hilarity of it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah, but I think that was just an attempt to add to the hilarity of it
Let’s hope so.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

In Archie we trust.
Post by Rhody72 » 1 year ago

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
10 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

not fair stevey, you are fighting fiction with facts. you know thats not allowed.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In Archie we trust.
Dude are you even trying any more? It's tough to watch you limp out here without your best stuff.

You used to be a big league troll. You created the perfect caricature of a south county fan who hasn't been north of the tower in 2 decades, and doesn't have cable so he can't watch anything that isn't URI sports.

But now you're just straight gaslighting when anyone can just pull a receipt. It's too obvious my man.

Just hang it up. I promise we'll remember you for the brilliant troll you were, and not the has been that you've become. It was fun while it lasted.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
In Archie we trust.
Dude are you even trying any more? It's tough to watch you limp out here without your best stuff.

You used to be a big league troll. You created the perfect caricature of a south county fan who hasn't been north of the tower in 2 decades, and doesn't have cable so he can't watch anything that isn't URI sports.

But now you're just straight gaslighting when anyone can just pull a receipt. It's too obvious my man.

Just hang it up. I promise we'll remember you for the brilliant troll you were, and not the has been that you've become. It was fun while it lasted.
He went from Bulls Jordan to Wizards Jordan - you just hate to see it
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mets Willie Mays?
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Interesting he’s considering them since he’d be riding there bench with Leveque and Cross most likely there starters as well as Dominguez and two other transfers coming in
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Interesting he’s considering them since he’d be riding there bench with Leveque and Cross most likely there starters as well as Dominguez and two other transfers coming in
Yes, in reading the UMass board some say he is another version of BC transfer Gianni Thompson.
Not an immediate need for them.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago We can fill this in as we go!

1. Malik Martin, G, Sr.
2. Sebastian Thomas, G, soph
3. Jalen Carey, G, Jr
4. Abdou Samb, F, Fr.
5. Ishmael Leggett, G, soph
6. Louis Hutchinson. G. Fr
7. Brayon Freeman, G, soph
8. Jeremy Foumena, F, Fr.
9. Rory Stewart, F, Fr.
10. Brandon Weston. SF, soph

STAFF
1. Head Coach Archie Miller
2. Assistant Kenny Johnson
3. Assistant Duane Woodward
4. Assistant Austin Carroll
5. Ben Sanders
6. Ryan McCloskey
With the Weston commit, interested to see how many more slots we fill.

My guess as it stands right now you have Malik, Ish, Carey, Bray, and Weston “guaranteed” minutes, and then everyone else competing to see the floor. Likely Foumena almost guaranteed a spot in the rotation due to lack of other size. Could change if we bring in a ready to play big
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep need a big boy.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
It is getting late. Archie wants players who want to be here. If these players wanted to be here, they would have committed by now. Maybe they will fall to us and learn to love us!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Plenty of talent left.
It is getting late. Archie wants players who want to be here. If these players wanted to be here, they would have committed by now. Maybe they will fall to us and learn to love us!
Nguessan gave his final 8 schools 3 days ago. Do you even do research on these kids or do you just assume to know what they are thinking because you have experience hiring people?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We could get an impact mid-season transfer who would be eligible before the A10 schedule starts. Who knows? Maybe a highly rated frosh who doesn't get a lot of playing time in his school's OOC schedule. Anything is possible these days.
1 x