The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

Pretty much spot on. A previous poster said "They ruined college basketball".... I'm curious to know who "They" are.
And if college basketball is ruined, why are you still posting 45 sets of song lyrics a day on a college basketball board?
it's one thing if a coach leaves - that i get

and look at Bos trying to cancel me !

another thing i hate
Who is "they" that has ruined college basketball?
IMO “they” = the NCAA

Lack of vision causes this situation. Everything now is just opportunism but not the root cause.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

it's one thing if a coach leaves - that i get

and look at Bos trying to cancel me !

another thing i hate
IMO “they” = the NCAA

Lack of vision causes this situation. Everything now is just opportunism but not the root cause.
Agreed. Emmert is an idiot. California's governor and legislation gave NCAA plenty of notice to find a solution before they enacted laws allowing for NIL payment. He tried to call their bluff and got burned badly.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

IMO “they” = the NCAA

Agreed. Emmert is an idiot. California's governor and legislation gave NCAA plenty of notice to find a solution before they enacted laws allowing for NIL payment. He tried to call their bluff and got burned badly.
The NCAA was late to the party but part of their hold-up was how to handle boosters, etc.

Pulled this quote out of the below article:

“ NCAA leaders have spent much of the last year lobbying on Capitol Hill for a federal solution that would supersede the various state laws. California’s law presents nearly a free market scenario for athletes to be paid for appearances in ads, autograph signings and social media influencing, among other avenues to capitalize on their fame while on campus. California, for instance, has no cap on what a school booster could pay an athlete for participating in an ad.

The NCAA’s concerns revolve mostly around the recruiting scene. Universities don’t want boosters or representatives making NIL deals with prospective athletes to induce them to attend a specific school.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ?_amp=true
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Questions for KB…

If this continues for the foreseeable future with no regulation or caps, then why should universities continue to offer scholly’s? Why not just eventually provide NIL agreements in lieu of scholly’s and - if the athlete wants an education - adjust the NIL accordingly for tuition?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is there a thread anywhere about potential transfers to Rhody?
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Is there a thread anywhere about potential transfers to Rhody?
No, but I can direct you to a thread about song lyrics
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

IMO “they” = the NCAA

The NCAA was late to the party but part of their hold-up was how to handle boosters, etc.

“ NCAA leaders have spent much of the last year lobbying on Capitol Hill for a federal solution that would supersede the various state laws. California’s law presents nearly a free market scenario for athletes to be paid for appearances in ads, autograph signings and social media influencing, among other avenues to capitalize on their fame while on campus. California, for instance, has no cap on what a school booster could pay an athlete for participating in an ad.

The NCAA’s concerns revolve mostly around the recruiting scene. Universities don’t want boosters or representatives making NIL deals with prospective athletes to induce them to attend a specific school.”

Why did he waste his time lobbying instead of creating a framework that would create boundaries that would appease the various states? No need to be an Emmert apologist.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mylyjael Poteat, 6’9, 270# freshman from Rice and the Diaz twins are on the UMASS campus for official visits until Saturday
Curt Lewis, Freshman from Eastern Kentucky visits UMASS May 2-4. He is at Murray State this weekend.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Mylyjael Poteat, 6’9, 270# freshman from Rice and the Diaz twins are on the UMASS campus for official visits until Saturday
Curt Lewis, Freshman from Eastern Kentucky visits UMASS May 2-4. He is at Murray State this weekend.
That is a lot of height on their campus, Poteat had a solid 21-22 season.
The 7-foot Diaz twins are very talented recruits without the drama and attitude of the Mitchells.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Why did he waste his time lobbying instead of creating a framework that would create boundaries that would appease the various states? No need to be an Emmert apologist.
Um, the NCAA did create a proposal. It was deemed far too restrictive and then the rest of the state legislation was passed. There were complaints by politicians I found valid, and ones that weren’t, but basically told the NCAA they didn’t have the right to cap earnings. NCAA guardrails were perhaps too slanted against pay-to-play and booster compensation, but that’s something I’ll admit as a traditionalist I supported. Doesn’t make me a Emmett honk. IE - under the NCAA proposal, players couldn’t sell NFTs of themselves as “Kentucky players,” there could be no collectives where fans pay and pass down earnings to players, booster businesses wouldn’t be able to fund players, schools could have zero involvement with NIL, the NCAA was going to set up a committee to monitor deals for reasonability, etc. I support those things. Because if you ask me, players should not be able to receive payment over a certain amount from any person/business who have ever made financial donations to a school, and any business making an NIL deal over a certain size should have to source deposits to make sure there is no unfair pay (a booster giving $100k to a business to then pay the player). If the player wants the money so bad, go to Europe, go to the Gleague, go to rhe NBA. Be a professional. I don’t want financial free agency in basketball. Sorry.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Um, the NCAA did create a proposal. It was deemed far too restrictive and then the rest of the state legislation was passed. There were complaints by politicians I found valid, and ones that weren’t, but basically told the NCAA they didn’t have the right to cap earnings. NCAA guardrails were perhaps too slanted against pay-to-play and booster compensation, but that’s something I’ll admit as a traditionalist I supported. Doesn’t make me a Emmett honk. IE - under the NCAA proposal, players couldn’t sell NFTs of themselves as “Kentucky players,” there could be no collectives where fans pay and pass down earnings to players, booster businesses wouldn’t be able to fund players, schools could have zero involvement with NIL, the NCAA was going to set up a committee to monitor deals for reasonability, etc. I support those things. Because if you ask me, players should not be able to receive payment over a certain amount from any person/business who have ever made financial donations to a school, and any business making an NIL deal over a certain size should have to source deposits to make sure there is no unfair pay (a booster giving $100k to a business to then pay the player). If the player wants the money so bad, go to Europe, go to the Gleague, go to rhe NBA. Be a professional. I don’t want financial free agency in basketball. Sorry.
Time will tell with this new era of college basketball. If watching players develop and teams grow together at schools such as Rhody is no longer part what you get to enjoy, you are settling for a clearly inferior product on the floor compared to watching the NBA. I do not mind the players getting theirs with NIL but fans can also decide what is best for themselves. That is probably why I never jump on "The Big Booster's Need to Step Up Bandwagon". I appreciate when they do donate but Is college basketball supposed to bleed money because some zealous fans love it? Nobody should pay more for tickets or make donations larger than they themselves think is reasonable. If at some point it does not make sense for me as a fan I will walk away. Currently, I'm a season ticket holder.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Mylyjael Poteat, 6’9, 270# freshman from Rice and the Diaz twins are on the UMASS campus for official visits until Saturday
I think UMass fans are very happy with their head coaching hire so far
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Reef,
This is how UMASS Board rated Frank Martin back on April. My guess is a month in those ratings would be even higher
37D92234-1373-4856-85D2-4CAA9B4E6F7E.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Reef,
This is how UMASS Board rated Frank Martin back on April. My guess is a month in those ratings would be even higher

UMass should be ecstatic getting a coach like Martin, especially after having McCall.

Once Martin was in the mix, it was his job if he wanted it.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Reef,

Must have been their board’s version of R72 who voted “absolutely terrible.”
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago
"Brandon Weston becomes Seton Hall’s biggest recruit since Isaiah Whitehead"
By Zach Braziller
August 30, 2020 4:02pm

https://nypost.com/2020/08/30/brandon-w ... six-years/

Mentions that Woodward has a very strong bond with his family.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Reef,

Must have been their board’s version of R72 who voted “absolutely terrible.”
Actually 2 voted “absolutely terrible” - of course it is a message board :roll:
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Weston was a highly ranked recruit, but he’s dealt with a bunch of injuries, starting with an ACL tear in high school.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Weston was a highly ranked recruit, but he’s dealt with a bunch of injuries, starting with an ACL tear in high school.
If he is interested, that shouldn't stop us from pursuing him.
Many P5's including Michigan and Illinois were recruiting him hard.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Archie has followed Weston on twitter
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Weston had indicated that he was staying at Seton Hall after Shaheen was hired and they met together. Seton Hall is down to eight players now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Archie has followed Weston on twitter
Yes, and that is new. He was not following him yesterday, but Duane was. I'd say we're definitely after him.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Weston had indicated that he was staying at Seton Hall after Shaheen was hired and they met together. Seton Hall is down to eight players now.
I think Holloway will be fine kids are going to want to play for him
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You could hear about players entering the portal tomorrow or Tuesday who still met the May 1st 11:59 pm deadline. The deadline is the time the player has to notify their current school in writing. Their current school then has two days to enter the player into the portal.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There we go, sign a 1-year loaner.
Just kidding. LOL
He was a 1-man show against UConn.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago There we go, sign a 1-year loaner.
Just kidding. LOL
He was a 1-man show against UConn.

Oh my he sure was a wrecking crew v Uconn , wonder where he lands ??
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I was stand corrected by 83. This is only for WBB. Not MBB. My apologies.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice pick up for Fordham.

Khalid Moore finishes his 4 year degree at one of the best public Universities in Georgia Tech graduating with a Degree in Business.
Now he will play his 5th year at another string Academic University back home at Fordham.

Moore was a starter last season for Tech, excellent defensive and team player. 6’7” with a large wingspan.

By ADAM ZAGORIA
New Fordham coach Keith Urgo has picked up his first commitment since taking over last week.
Georgia Tech transfer Khalid Moore, a 6-foot-7 senior wing from Briarwood, N.Y. who attended Archbishop Molloy, committed to Fordham following his weekend visit, sources confirmed.
Murray State, South Carolina, Bryant, Oregon, San Diego and St. Bonaventure also reached out.
Moore averaged 5.2 points and 3.4 rebounds last season as a senior.
He initially committed to Georgia Tech in 2017 over Pittsburgh, Oklahoma State, UMass, Miami, Syracuse, Virginia, St. John’s, Rutgers, Rhode Island and VCU.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Um....run it up "what"?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Couisnard from South Carolina picks Oregon. UMASS was in the hunt.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-caroli ... 40153.html
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Couisnard from South Carolina picks Oregon. UMASS was in the hunt.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-caroli ... 40153.html
Currently UMass primary portal targets are PF Mylyjael Poteat (6'9") from Rice and CG Curt Lewis (6'5") from Eastern Kentucky.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This kid's college career has been musical chairs as of late.
He played his first 2 years at Stetson.
Transferred to George Mason for 21-22 and only played 4 games.
Enrolled in Bryant January of 2022.
Now entered the portal without playing any games for Bryant.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Archie started following Virginia tech transfer David N'Guessan on twitter.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago Archie started following Virginia tech transfer David N'Guessan on twitter.
Another kid with 3 years left.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago Archie started following Virginia tech transfer David N'Guessan on twitter.
Archie also recently started following Jimmy Baron....hmmm.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jimmy Baron playing 1 more season with the rams 👀 👀
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jimmy Baron playing 1 more season with the rams 👀 👀
I want him to get that player development position.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for this intel, 22.

I did a quick look up on him. Good height at 6’9”. Played a good amount off the bench at VT. Had a few good ACC games where he scored in double figures (he shot 48% from the floor last season). He had six games where he had multiple blocks and assists.

Intriguing prospect. Sounds like he’d be a good add to our front court.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Drame Brothers transferring to LaSalle from St. Peter’s
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

I did a quick look up on him. Good height at 6’9”. Played a good amount off the bench at VT. Had a few good ACC games where he scored in double figures (he shot 48% from the floor last season). He had six games where he had multiple blocks and assists.

Must've felt he was being recruited over. Played 13 minutes a game for ACC champs.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

Must've felt he was being recruited over. Played 13 minutes a game for ACC champs.
Grant Besile from Wright State recently chose VT.

Besile narrowed to Wisconsin, Iowa State, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech.
Basile is coming off an impressive junior season where he averaged 18.4 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.6 blocks per game en route to being named first-team All-Horizon League.
0 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

UMass didn't get the Rice 7 footer or the twins. The 7 footer went to VT and the twins to Pitt.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x