A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Who are you and what did you do with R72's login? You are making a valid point for once.
The drop outs took away R72's login privileges for challenging conventional wisdom and she is just trolling them to get it back.
She?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Has any member ever left the A10 to play in a less competitive conference?
On average over the last 20 years where does URI rank in the A10? Middle third?
Has the A10 seriously considered dropping members?
Has the A10 ever established more rigid standards for remaining a member?

I ask these questions because I don't believe that MOST member schools want changes. From time to time, a member will find a better opportunity and leave. So. if you are unhappy with the A10, make URI an appealing addition for a better conference.
Who are you and what did you do with R72's login? You are making a valid point for once.

Yes, URI should put themselves in a position for if and when a stronger conference calls....at the same time, the A10 should put themselves and their schools in a stronger position so that no one wants to leave if someone else comes calling.

To answer your first question, I don't think anyone left for a weaker conference. There was talk of LaSalle moving to the Patriot league a few years ago, but nothing came of it.

Here’s a question for the group…What better, stronger conference or conferences are out there to join or would come calling?

Take the P5 conferences off the list because Rhody is not and never will be a P5 football school (in my lifetime, anyway).

The new Big East? I don’t see that happening. Unless, Maybe if we become the Gonzaga of the East, the NBE will give us a sniff? Likely, a no. What is the benefit to the NBE? You all can argue that one because I’ll gone by then.

The WCC? Again, I don’t see it due to extensive travel, lack of rivals, etc.

The AAC? Doesn’t make sense. Too many football schools and too many football schools looking to go P5. Who know’s if the conference even survives.

So to me, it makes more sense to make the A10 better for the near term (3-7 years). If the A10 can’t get stronger, then Rhody and the better A10 bb schools look to form a new conference with some better programs from another conference or other conferences, as a back up plan.

In present day college basketball, I just don’t see any stronger conferences that are options beyond the ones I referenced above. Please let me know if I missed any.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Just be the best mid major basketball conference year in and year out. That’s an achievable goal and is a perfectly fine place to be in the current landscape. We are never getting a P6 invite.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Just be the best mid major basketball conference year in and year out. That’s an achievable goal and is a perfectly fine place to be in the current landscape. We are never getting a P6 invite.
I agree wholeheartedly, 83, on both points. Onward and upward.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago ...
In present day college basketball, I just don’t see any stronger conferences that are options beyond the ones I referenced above. Please let me know if I missed any.
Form one that excludes football. Also, travel cost is an excuse not a reason. Bryant joined the Southern Conference for football as an example. Get together 9 schools who will commit to high standards for athletic excellence. Play a 16 game home/away conference schedule in most sports.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Form one that excludes football. Also, travel cost is an excuse not a reason. Bryant joined the Southern Conference for football as an example. Get together 9 schools who will commit to high standards for athletic excellence. Play a 16 game home/away conference schedule in most sports.
72, you have taken my travel comment out of context.

If you go back and re-read the whole post, it was “extreme travel” that I posted and it was only in relation to the WCC - which is on the other side of the country.

Also, I don’t see where Bryant football is an equal comparison. Bryant football plays eleven(?) games (with at least 5 at home) compared to Rhody basketball where they play 31 (with 13-15 home max). The amount of travel isn’t comparable and certainly not comparable IF (hypothetically) Rhody was to play half its conference games against teams in the WCC on the west coast.

That said, is your counterpoint that it is a valid option for Rhody to join the WCC because Bryant joined the Southern Conference for football?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

That said, is your counterpoint that it is a valid option for Rhody to join the WCC because Bryant joined the Southern Conference for football?
First, travel for a football team involves at least twice the number of players plus much more equipment than say a basketball team.

Second, I said form a new conference not join the WCC. I envisioned a high quality conference that would do well enough financially that travel would not be a major issue.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

First, travel for a football team involves at least twice the number of players plus much more equipment than say a basketball team.

Second, I said form a new conference not join the WCC. I envisioned a high quality conference that would do well enough financially that travel would not be a major issue.
Reread the second to last paragraph in my post. You must have missed it…You will see we agree on the possible option of forming a new conference.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

VCU also get a big commit from London.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
May 6
Loyola Chicago will take a foreign tour to France in August and play three exhibition games, per release.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU currently has a #34 national recruiting/transfer overall ranking, highest in the A10.
All their 13 scholarships filled.
https://www.a10talk.com/meet-the-newcom ... 23-roster/

Probably put them at #3 in the A10 behind SLU and Dayton for 22-23.

Actually GM, Richmond (if Burton returns), and Davidson can all compete for 3-6.
UMass and Loyola/Chicago may not be far behind.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thoughts on Bill Koch’s comment/suggestion?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I think BK is just trying to get the word out to donate. He's anticipating the question from PC fans, "why would I want URI season tickets" and giving them an answer, though I'd prefer that he'd write, "Go to the one game and sell or donate the rest."
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rocco Miller
@RoccoMiller8
· 58m
Saint Bonaventure will play Iona and UMass will play Hofstra as part of a single day event on December 11th in Brooklyn, according to multiple sources.
More matchups TBA, hosted by the Basketball HOF.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Rocco Miller
@RoccoMiller8
· 58m
Saint Bonaventure will play Iona and UMass will play Hofstra as part of a single day event on December 11th in Brooklyn, according to multiple sources.
More matchups TBA, hosted by the Basketball HOF.
St Bonaventure also has another metro NYC one off neutral site game. In addition to playing Iona at Barclays in Brooklyn, they will play Notre Dame at the new UBS Arena in Elmont next to Belmont Downs. UBS is the new home of the hockey Islanders. These games are good for the Bonnies as no decent teams ever agree to come to Olean.

These are the types of games that I believe Archie wants URI to participate in per his early post hire interview comments on scheduling.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another nice recruit for GM.
Elvis Nnaji PF (6'9") was a 3*, heavily recruited by Marquette.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
That's a good look 👍
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hasn’t he heard that we are going to be the best team in the league next year bc a certain poster just keeps saying it over and over.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don't have to be the best team in the league to dance...I wouldn't be surprised if we were tho.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Don't have to be the best team in the league to dance...I wouldn't be surprised if we were tho.
There is zero chance we will be the best team. You are approaching Rhody72 levels
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Don't have to be the best team in the league to dance...I wouldn't be surprised if we were tho.
There is zero chance we will be the best team. You are approaching Rhody72 levels
We won't even be in the NCAAT discussion 22-23.

As a matter of fact, I will be pleasantly surprised if we even finish in the top half of the A10.

Archie has a monumental task in rebuilding this roster and we won't see the results overnight.

IMO
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

As a matter of fact, I will be pleasantly surprised if we even finish in the top half of the A10.

Archie has a monumental task in rebuilding this roster and we won't see the results overnight.

IMO
Lol....I'll wager a sixer on "top half" right now.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

IMO
LOL... actually I will never wager against Rhody.
I hope I am wrong.

At this time, I think it will be very difficult to add an immediate impact or star player to our roster, but who knows.

Still early but looking at how the A10 rosters are shaping up, it is hard for me to see us finishing ahead of:
SLU, Dayton, VCU, GM, Richmond, Davidson, Loyola, and even UMass.

Like I said it seems that Archie is building for the future, which I am cool with.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

IMO
Doubling down on the "we will be in masks forever" bet that you already lost? I don't bet against Rhody but right now on paper we aren't top half of league.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

IMO
Doubling down on the "we will be in masks forever" bet that you already lost? I don't bet against Rhody but right now on paper we aren't top half of league.
I had to wear a mask today to see the doctor. Mandatory.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Yep doctors / medical offices seem to be adopting this policy permanently. Which makes at least some sense given the environment.

I'm also sure that if transmissions get to high levels again some states/places may mandate masks indoors again for periods of time but NYGs point was masks on indefinitely and everywhere and that clearly hasn't been the case.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yep doctors / medical offices seem to be adopting this policy permanently. Which makes at least some sense given the environment.

I'm also sure that if transmissions get to high levels again some states/places may mandate masks indoors again for periods of time but NYGs point was masks on indefinitely and everywhere and that clearly hasn't been the case.
But it was the Dermatologist. I don't think people go there for infectious diseases.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The wily veterans appear to have a different outlook than the young bucks.

Who will reach their next NCAA tournament first: Archie Miller, Frank Martin or Jared Grasso? Vote with your head and not your heart.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The wily veterans appear to have a different outlook than the young bucks.

Who will reach their next NCAA tournament first: Archie Miller, Frank Martin or Jared Grasso? Vote with your head and not your heart.
Grasso

Because he'll have a stacked roster in a weak conference.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The wily veterans appear to have a different outlook than the young bucks.

Dude, you've been caught. You hid that you were a troll well, but you blew it with the I would have gotten rid of Cox a year earlier comment. I'm surprised you forgot that you posted how much you wanted to extend Cox since that was one of your best posts ever.

You know Grasso will make the tournament playing in a much easier conference. You know what Archie is trying to do with this roster and program. You pretending that the clock is ticking on a coach who is just literally hired is stupid and boring.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Post by Rhody72 » 1 year ago
I know talent when I see it. I have experience hiring people.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Dude, you've been caught. You hid that you were a troll well, but you blew it with the I would have gotten rid of Cox a year earlier comment. I'm surprised you forgot that you posted how much you wanted to extend Cox since that was one of your best posts ever.

You know Grasso will make the tournament playing in a much easier conference. You know what Archie is trying to do with this roster and program. You pretending that the clock is ticking on a coach who is just literally hired is stupid and boring.

My bills are all due and the babies need shoes,
But I'm Busted
Cotton's gone down to a quarter a pound
And I'm Busted

(ECR - back to a timeout.. but is was sooo worth it !)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I haven't lost any bets to anyone. I said masks forever at Rhody games. Not sure there have been any hoop games yet where they weren't required since they first were?
Did I miss that? Because until it happens..."forever" is still in play. And as the #s continue to creep up to over 500 per 100k....if you don't think masks are a threat for hoops in the fall/winter, can't help you.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But it was the Dermatologist. I don't think people go there for infectious diseases.
H+ R Block Narragansett.. . Masks required....
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I have previously posted, I would have extended Cox but NOT his buyout. We ended up paying Cox for TWO years and killed recruiting. I think most will agree that the AE is a tougher conference than the NEC for Grasso to be successful. My answer to my question is that it is a pick'em. I think that Archie has a tougher job short-term, but Frank and Jared will have better success short-term, but they are long shots for the tourney.

The clock is ticking on all D1 MBB coaches.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I haven't lost any bets to anyone. I said masks forever at Rhody games. Not sure there have been any hoop games yet where they weren't required since they first were?
Did I miss that? Because until it happens..."forever" is still in play. And as the #s continue to creep up to over 500 per 100k....if you don't think masks are a threat for hoops in the fall/winter, can't help you.
Have to agree with NYGFan_Section208 on this one. He referred to Masks at Rhody Games in the Ryan Center. Masks were required at the Ryan Center all the way up to the very last game, well after the Dunk stopped requiring Masks. I also would not bet against Masks being required at the Ryan Center next November. Still TBD on NYGFan_Section208's prediction.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Have to agree with NYGFan_Section208 on this one. He referred to Masks at Rhody Games in the Ryan Center. Masks were required at the Ryan Center all the way up to the very last game, well after the Dunk stopped requiring Masks. I also would not bet against Masks being required at the Ryan Center next November. Still TBD on NYGFan_Section208's prediction.
He predicted we’d have masks the next THREE seasons.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

He predicted we’d have masks the next THREE seasons.
And he’s not wrong yet.

Said as I’m sitting in Dr office wearing a mask, reading that Covid cases in RI are at their highest since January 2021 (excluding the Omicron spike) and trending up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU not done yet.
Would be a nice veteran big addition, giving them depth upfront.

Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

As I have previously posted, I would have extended Cox but NOT his buyout. We ended up paying Cox for TWO years and killed recruiting. I think most will agree that the AE is a tougher conference than the NEC for Grasso to be successful. My answer to my question is that it is a pick'em. I think that Archie has a tougher job short-term, but Frank and Jared will have better success short-term, but they are long shots for the tourney.

Yup, recent national champion Bill Self is definitely on the hot seat, clock is ticking for him to step up and win something.

No first year national championship as an 8 seed for Hubert Davis? Clock is without question ticking for him too.

You’re such a clown, you provide absolute useless content here.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugh my man, just hang it up. It's not even entertaining. You're either denying things that the receipts exist on this very site for, or just grasping at straws for some type of relevant post.

Your trolling isn't even sensible any more. Look at this first sentence - a blatant lie and then confusing follow up. Another sentence of nonsensical trash. Changing topics to something irrelevant and obvious. An answer to a question no one asked. Then a wild take with an obvious overlay of pointlessness.

I just want to laugh again. I need the old 72 back. The one with absolute hilarity.

But since we steadied the coaching position and staff with pros, you've kinda lost direction on where to go.

I'll continue to remember the good times. The people manager who knew basketball. That's my 72.

Here's hoping you regain form or get put out to pasture.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Bonnies suffer another loss of a key contributor:

4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Ugh my man, just hang it up. It's not even entertaining. You're either denying things that the receipts exist on this very site for, or just grasping at straws for some type of relevant post.

Your trolling isn't even sensible any more. Look at this first sentence - a blatant lie and then confusing follow up. Another sentence of nonsensical trash. Changing topics to something irrelevant and obvious. An answer to a question no one asked. Then a wild take with an obvious overlay of pointlessness.

I just want to laugh again. I need the old 72 back. The one with absolute hilarity.

But since we steadied the coaching position and staff with pros, you've kinda lost direction on where to go.

I'll continue to remember the good times. The people manager who knew basketball. That's my 72.

Remember the days Blue Man when you told all of us not to feed the troll? You keep throwing her fish.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The Bonnies suffer another loss of a key contributor:

Poor Bona. Man, they’re hitting a real rough spot. They should maybe consider leaving the A10 and dropping down.

Can they survive this hit?
:lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The Bonnies suffer another loss of a key contributor:

I love the “I’ll be forgoing my 5th year of college” line.

He gained a lot of recognition during the NIT on the road games prior to NYC Championship games.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Remember the days Blue Man when you told all of us not to feed the troll? You keep throwing her fish.
Wait, is 72 a woman?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don't view it as feeding the troll. When people take him seriously and respond to his posts, I think that's feeding him. So calling him out for his lack of creativity and incredibly boring posts is OK. LIke Blueman, I laughed at how awesome his old posts used to be.

Don't forget he also had a cameo on South Park.
Trolll.png
We all want that person back. Since Archie was hired his posts have been embarrassingly bad.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING