'18 Canada PG - Shamar Givance (Evansville ---> UTEP )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

'18 Canada PG - Shamar Givance (Evansville ---> UTEP )

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Shamar Givance - PG
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
School: First Love Christian High School
Travel/AAU: Unknown

Ht: 5'10"
Wt: 155

RANKINGS
Verbal Commits: 2 stars / unranked in 2018
Evan Miya Transfer Portal: #237 (3/27/22)
Sports Reference Page
All-Missouri Valley Conference in 2020-21

OFFERS - 2018
Evansville
High Point

Hat tip to Rhody74 for initially posting this tweet in the 2022 transfer thread!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 Canada PG - Shamar Givance (Evansville > ???)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

High school tape. He's pretty small, but talented.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago High school tape. He's pretty small, but talented.
Only 2-star out of high school but decent stats at Evansville.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't really care what his star rating was I like what he's done at the D1 level in a solid conference... If you take away his one stinker against Loyola he averaged 15 a game in the final 10 while shooting 38% from 3. He looks like a lighting fast guard that can finish well. We all know Archie likes guards that can run the fast break!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

With Sheppard and El-Amin gone, plenty of room on the roster for both a starting point guard and a combo guard. Depending on how many players ultimately end up transferring, I'd love to see Archie snag four guards in the off-season - two transfers, two freshmen - but I'm not sure how feasible that is, given the small window he's had to recruit.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

He shot under 31% from 3 point on a team that went 6-24. What makes anyone think this guy is better than El-Amin? I know we have a lot of spots to fill, but not overly excited about this guy. I’m just glad Archie is the coach so whatever he decides is fine with me.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago He shot under 31% from 3 point on a team that went 6-24. What makes anyone think this guy is better than El-Amin? I know we have a lot of spots to fill, but not overly excited about this guy. I'm just glad Archie is the coach so whatever he decides is fine with me.
This kid is not off guard like EA he's a point guard. He's at best 5-10. But, he's got a tremendous handle and can attack attack attack.. He led his team in pts, steals, and assists... We have many roster spots to fill and I'm all for landing a 4-year scrappy guard like Givance. I don't think people realized how badly we need pure point guards on this roster. That's why Thomas stood out so much last season. He was literally the only point guard on the team.

Do you want to know why someone like Givance will be better than EA? Because Archie Miller is his head coach. I wish EA had the chance to play under him
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
RamStock wrote: 2 years ago He shot under 31% from 3 point on a team that went 6-24. What makes anyone think this guy is better than El-Amin? I know we have a lot of spots to fill, but not overly excited about this guy. I'm just glad Archie is the coach so whatever he decides is fine with me.
This kid is not off guard like EA he's a point guard. He's at best 5-10. But, he's got a tremendous handle and can attack attack attack.. He led his team in pts, steals, and assists... We have many roster spots to fill and I'm all for landing a 4-year scrappy guard like Givance. I don't think people realized how badly we need pure point guards on this roster. That's why Thomas stood out so much last season. He was literally the only point guard on the team.

Do you want to know why someone like Givance will be better than EA? Because Archie Miller is his head coach. I wish EA had the chance to play under him
All this dude has to do is do SOMETHING and he will be better than El-Amin
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I wholeheartedly agree with your pure point guards comment above. Bassy has potential but we need more.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Ha, ha. We need everything right now, not just point guards, as it is pretty much a new roster which in my mind is a good thing. It certainly can’t hurt to have him with so many roster spits available. I think I have the mindset still from when Cox was here we all hype up a recruit or transfer and they have been below average when they get to URI. Having Archie will help improve everything including players efforts for sure. It will be an interesting couple months. I haven’t been this interested in the off season roster moves in 3-4 years. Without question guards should be the number one thing that we are after. No fans should have to ever endure guard play like we saw last year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Doesn't look like Rhody is still in on Givance, but an update anyway:

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

UTEP it is.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago UTEP it is.

That's fine, we need real players, not cartoon characters with giant heads....
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: '18 Canada PG - Shamar Givance (Evansville ---> UTEP )

We just can't schedule the Monstars now.
1 x