Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by Blue Man »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry if this was posted by someone from here, but I thought it was cool so.....good job.

Very thorough overview. Thank you.
Interesting to see on paper.
More fun to see the guys we’re recruiting being targeted by top tier programs again.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’m watching the Golden State v. Denver game. GS runs the floor and completely spreads the floor on offense. No one inside the 3 point line at times. Rarely a post presence in the paint. Then, they proceed to slice and dice the defense with cutters and ball movement or shoot 3’s.

I don’t see Archie using more than one Mobil big at a time. I think our offense will gravitate more towards a GS type style versus what we played last year, thankfully.

It’s an offense very difficult to defend when you have the shooters (and the 3’s are falling 😁), the slashers and the passers on the floor.

Man, I’m excited to watch how Archie constructs the roster, develops and installs his offense. We will be fun to watch. And, when we get good at it, we will be really fun to watch.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I’m watching the Golden State v. Denver game. GS runs the floor and completely spreads the floor on offense. No one inside the 3 point line at times. Rarely a post presence in the paint. Then, they proceed to slice and dice the defense with cutters and ball movement or shoot 3’s.

I don’t see Archie using more than one Mobil big at a time. I think our offense will gravitate more towards a GS type style versus what we played last year, thankfully.

It’s an offense very difficult to defend when you have the shooters (and the 3’s are falling 😁), the slashers and the passers on the floor.

Man, I’m excited to watch how Archie constructs the roster, develops and installs his offense. We will be fun to watch. And, when we get good at it, we will be really fun to watch.
Is your expectation based on something Archie said about modeling his offense like Golden State? Or do you think he ran a similar offense at Indiana?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Neither. Strictly based on speculation of him utilizing one big versus the two bigs offense Rhody played last year under DC. Imho, using one big will create more spacing/less congestion and therefore an open lane area for cutting, slashing and kick outs for spot up 3’s.

To me, a more open or spread offense or a variation thereof, is more akin to what GS runs versus the congested, inside/out offense Rhody ran under DC last year, comparatively speaking.

Sorry for the confusion. It was a confusing post looking back at it.

That said, you raised a couple of good questions. I will look into Archie’s offensive philosophy. All I know so far is that he likes to play at a faster pace.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW, I think everyone would love to play like modern day Golden State, or the 2000s era Phoenix Suns. It's really, really hard to have the proper personnel to do that, though. The Warriors have (probably) the best pure shooter of all-time, an unselfish big man who can guard any position and pass incredibly well (Green), another all-star wing (Thompson) that isn't selfish, and a bunch of role players that fit their system well (Poole, Peyton III, Wiggins although he's not paid like a role player). Phoenix was powered by a Top 5 passer of all-time, a near Hall of Fame wing (Marion, who was like Scottie Pippen at his peak), and a big man who ran the floor and was perfect for their system (Stoudamire).

I've mentioned this before, but I think URI's "problem" under Cox was that we had a lot of good players, but not enough great players, except for maybe that first year. A hurt Fatts Russell, Walker and the Mitchell twins, the rest of the crew from the past two years... Not much All-A10 potential there. Not many guys who need to be double teamed, or who can kill their guy off the dribble, or that you have to guard out to 30 feet. I don't know if that kind of guy is available to URI on the 2022 transfer market, but I have more faith in Archie to land one in the 2022-23 HS recruiting cycle.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

My wish list (as it stands now):
Duru
Femi
Couple of Bigs
Stretch 4

I do have a few in mind, but probably not on our radar.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago My wish list (as it stands now):
Duru
Femi
Couple of Bigs
Stretch 4

I’m in!
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Neither. Strictly based on speculation of him utilizing one big versus the two bigs offense Rhody played last year under DC. Imho, using one big will create more spacing/less congestion and therefore an open lane area for cutting, slashing and kick outs for spot up 3’s.

To me, a more open or spread offense or a variation thereof, is more akin to what GS runs versus the congested, inside/out offense Rhody ran under DC last year, comparatively speaking.

That said, you raised a couple of good questions. I will look into Archie’s offensive philosophy. All I know so far is that he likes to play at a faster pace.
Well I don't know what his offensive plans are for URI and my guess is he doesn't know it either because he doesn't know what his personnel will be. Don't want to put round pegs in square holes to start off.

With that said, I'll give you a mini-history of what he did at Indiana. Archie DID play two traditional bigs together. In his last season, Race Thompson (6'8", 235 lbs. power forward) started with Trace Jackson-Davis (6'9", 245 lbs. center) Those two started side by side this year too with Coach Mike Woodson. Going back to the Archie 2019-'20 season, Trace Jackson-Davis started up front with 6'11", 245 lbs. Joey Brunk.

Again, I (and 99.9% of us) have no idea what Archie will be doing with URI's offense. But recent history shows that Archie did NOT run the style of offense you are describing. Plus, they didn't shoot a lot of 3's and didn't make a lot of them either. He liked having size. He may not be able to recruit that kind of size to URI, who knows.

In Archie's best year of 2019-'20, IU averaged 71.4 ppg, which put them 8th of 14 Big Ten teams in scoring offense. IU was not a free-flowing offensive juggernaut.

So just keep things in context.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago My wish list (as it stands now):
Duru
Femi
Couple of Bigs
Stretch 4

I’m in!
I really hope we at least get Duro or Femi that would be a decent start then start focusing on bigs
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Neither. Strictly based on speculation of him utilizing one big versus the two bigs offense Rhody played last year under DC. Imho, using one big will create more spacing/less congestion and therefore an open lane area for cutting, slashing and kick outs for spot up 3’s.

Well I don't know what his offensive plans are for URI and my guess is he doesn't know it either because he doesn't know what his personnel will be. Don't want to put round pegs in square holes to start off.

With that said, I'll give you a mini-history of what he did at Indiana. Archie DID play two traditional bigs together. In his last season, Race Thompson (6'8", 235 lbs. power forward) started with Trace Jackson-Davis (6'9", 245 lbs. center) Those two started side by side this year too with Coach Mike Woodson. Going back to the Archie 2019-'20 season, Trace Jackson-Davis started up front with 6'11", 245 lbs. Joey Brunk.

Again, I (and 99.9% of us) have no idea what Archie will be doing with URI's offense. But recent history shows that Archie did NOT run the style of offense you are describing. Plus, they didn't shoot a lot of 3's and didn't make a lot of them either. He liked having size. He may not be able to recruit that kind of size to URI, who knows.

In Archie's best year of 2019-'20, IU averaged 71.4 ppg, which put them 8th of 14 Big Ten teams in scoring offense. IU was not a free-flowing offensive juggernaut.

So just keep things in context.
I read up some this morning on his offensive philosophy and the “Phoenix Fast Break Offense” he likes to play. He likes to play fast. Get the ball up court and shoot before the defense has an opportunity to set to force them into mistakes. The offense (the Phoenix FB) seems pretty flexible in that it can accommodate two bigs (probably mobile type bigs) or one big. The PG is key to pushing the ball on the break and needs to be a good passer and smart. The wings run to the corners to set up beyond the 3 point line. The big(s) trail and one - if playing two bigs - runs to the key elbow then cuts to the low post (same if only playing one big). The PG looks to take the ball to the rim to score , pass to a cutter or kick out for a 3. If no opportunity for the PG to go to the rim then he pulls up near the 3 point line with one big in the low post and the other three players spread around the 3 point line.

What I found interesting is the article mentioned that the offense can accommodate four wings. The offense appears to lend flexibility to roster construction in that it can accommodate no traditional bigs, one big or two bigs. However, the smart, good passing PG is a must have. Boy, I would have loved to see Jeff D at PG in this offense. Whew!

Archie runs it with the goal to score in the first seven seconds of the shot clock, preferably. Dantoni designed it when he was HC at Phoenix and Steve Kerr runs a variation of it.

If anyone is interested, I read this in Archie’s Wiki page and also Googled the Phoenix Fast Break Offense for much more info.

Thanks, PMMM. Real good stuff! Appreciate the perspective and Archie history.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I trust Arch with whatever offense he runs , I’m sure he’ll run circles around the way Cox coached the team
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Thanks for the info jdrums - the offense described in his Wiki page more matches what I remember from his time at Dayton with Pollard and other versatile bigs with a bunch of wings. He also always seemed to have a very efficient PG. The Indiana fans were not happy with the offense when he was there and felt it was stagnant. I wonder if some of that was a product of having access to better bigs in the B10 and wanted to compete with bigger rosters on a more consistent basis, but it seemed to be a departure from prior Dayton teams. Hopefully a return to the A10 brings back the style that was successful here and which is far more fan friendly as well. Braymon fits the mold of a PG in this system, as does Thomas if he can finish better at the rim (which I think he will, he got to the rim a lot and just didn’t look comfortable adjusting shots to real bigs in the paint that he probably didn’t see in HS). This style also benefits Carey and probably Illeri who seems to be very active.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for the info jdrums - the offense described in his Wiki page more matches what I remember from his time at Dayton with Pollard and other versatile bigs with a bunch of wings. He also always seemed to have a very efficient PG. The Indiana fans were not happy with the offense when he was there and felt it was stagnant. I wonder if some of that was a product of having access to better bigs in the B10 and wanted to compete with bigger rosters on a more consistent basis, but it seemed to be a departure from prior Dayton teams. Hopefully a return to the A10 brings back the style that was successful here and which is far more fan friendly as well. Braymon fits the mold of a PG in this system, as does Thomas if he can finish better at the rim (which I think he will, he got to the rim a lot and just didn’t look comfortable adjusting shots to real bigs in the paint that he probably didn’t see in HS). This style also benefits Carey and probably Illeri who seems to be very active.
To your point, you absolutely need size up front to have major, long term success in the Big Ten. And if you have success in the Big Ten, then you get to the NCAA tournament. That's how those coaches keep their jobs. There haven't been a lot of smaller teams to have success in the Big Ten. Generally speaking, you need to have a major post presence to be in the upper half of the Big Ten.

The second thing in the Big Ten...the coaching, scouting, and preparation by opponents is superior to other conferences. Those teams and coaches know the tendencies of everyone else.

About the only thing the Big Ten and Atlantic 10 have in common is that they can't count...both have 14 teams!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for the info jdrums - the offense described in his Wiki page more matches what I remember from his time at Dayton with Pollard and other versatile bigs with a bunch of wings. He also always seemed to have a very efficient PG. The Indiana fans were not happy with the offense when he was there and felt it was stagnant. I wonder if some of that was a product of having access to better bigs in the B10 and wanted to compete with bigger rosters on a more consistent basis, but it seemed to be a departure from prior Dayton teams. Hopefully a return to the A10 brings back the style that was successful here and which is far more fan friendly as well. Braymon fits the mold of a PG in this system, as does Thomas if he can finish better at the rim (which I think he will, he got to the rim a lot and just didn’t look comfortable adjusting shots to real bigs in the paint that he probably didn’t see in HS). This style also benefits Carey and probably Illeri who seems to be very active.
To your point, you absolutely need size up front to have major, long term success in the Big Ten. And if you have success in the Big Ten, then you get to the NCAA tournament. That's how those coaches keep their jobs. There haven't been a lot of smaller teams to have success in the Big Ten. Generally speaking, you need to have a major post presence to be in the upper half of the Big Ten.

The second thing in the Big Ten...the coaching, scouting, and preparation by opponents is superior to other conferences. Those teams and coaches know the tendencies of everyone else.

About the only thing the Big Ten and Atlantic 10 have in common is that they can't count...both have 14 teams!
The A10 flunked both math and geography.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So we still have 6 players on the team?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago So we still have 6 players on the team?
No
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
No
I knew that post would get people feisty :D
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
No
I knew that post would get people feisty :D
Feels great to get a 6’6 wing let’s add another 6’11 guy today initials JF ??
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Archie is the perfect coach for Carey.

May be wishful thinking, but I think two years with them together could actually realize all the potential there.

Mostly comes down to ball handling, shooting, and decision-making. Kid has all the intangibles down and an incredible nose for the ball…

In the right system, decisions are limited to the offense presented and Archie has an offense that lends to his style of play. I think that works itself out. But the key to his upside is, in my opinion, getting him in the gym working on core fundamentals.

Couple thousand jump shots a day, drills to get his dribbling lower and tighter. If he can increase efficiency per touch, he could be one of the best guards in the league.

Seems to me the way to unleash that is to reign in the fundamentals a little. A little more ball control will slow the game down enough for him to really make a serious impact…
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

the_one_mike wrote: 2 years ago Archie is the perfect coach for Carey.

May be wishful thinking, but I think two years with them together could actually realize all the potential there.

Mostly comes down to ball handling, shooting, and decision-making. Kid has all the intangibles down and an incredible nose for the ball…

In the right system, decisions are limited to the offense presented and Archie has an offense that lends to his style of play. I think that works itself out. But the key to his upside is, in my opinion, getting him in the gym working on core fundamentals.

Couple thousand jump shots a day, drills to get his dribbling lower and tighter. If he can increase efficiency per touch, he could be one of the best guards in the league.

Seems to me the way to unleash that is to reign in the fundamentals a little. A little more ball control will slow the game down enough for him to really make a serious impact…
I think this is a very good take.

As much as felt Carey improved last season, we should see a bigger jump for him in 22-23.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

As much as felt Carey improved last season, we should see a bigger jump for him in 22-23.
Archie said last night that the improvement that Jalen has made with his shot in just 6 weeks is the best he's ever seen.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Archie said last night that the improvement that Jalen has made with his shot in just 6 weeks is the best he's ever seen.
Awesome. I was super psyched when he came here, would love to see him at potential (which I still think is high).
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I stumbled across this article in today's golocalprov website. In the past I have found this news site to specialize in sensationalism, disinformation, a lack of any insight and a general negative outlook on the local scene. In this case they take a pot shot at URI with a headline that may have been more accurate weeks ago. They make a point to diminish the Rory Stewart signing by mentioning he was recruited only by mid majors and "low" ones at that. Also none of the signees come close in ratings to that lost with the Mitchell twins departure.

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri- ... ve-program
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I stumbled across this article in today's golocalprov website. In the past I have found this news site to specialize in sensationalism, disinformation, a lack of any insight and a general negative outlook on the local scene. In this case they take a pot shot at URI with a headline that may have been more accurate weeks ago. They make a point to diminish the Rory Stewart signing by mentioning he was recruited only by mid majors and "low" ones at that. Also none of the signees come close in ratings to that lost with the Mitchell twins departure.

Is Mama Mitchell freelancing?
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

GoLocalProv is a gutless rag. Until they start putting writers names next to articles I couldn't care less what nonsense they are spewing.
7 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

This is a version of “tell me you don’t know college basketball without telling me”
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago This is a version of “tell me you don’t know college basketball without telling me”
Ya, give me two selfish self-centered twins over a 6'9 sniper freshman who shoots 90% from the line and plays the game the right way all because they were highly ranked out of high school. I love that they only brought up what programs offered Rory and left out all the high majors after Hutch and Foumena. Idiots.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is Cordischi still working for Golocal?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Losing the Mitchell's was fine by me. We were not going to win anything meaningful with those guys. Losing Walker was a real loss. He had a lot more positives than negatives to his game.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Why did anyone click the link?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Why did anyone click the link?
Stupidity? I wanted to see if I could post a comment letting them know who absurd the article is....not an option. Never again.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I stumbled across this article in today's golocalprov website. In the past I have found this news site to specialize in sensationalism, disinformation, a lack of any insight and a general negative outlook on the local scene. In this case they take a pot shot at URI with a headline that may have been more accurate weeks ago. They make a point to diminish the Rory Stewart signing by mentioning he was recruited only by mid majors and "low" ones at that. Also none of the signees come close in ratings to that lost with the Mitchell twins departure.

Is Mama Mitchell freelancing?
Or Jim Donaldson is freelancing in retirement.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Golocal has always been anti URI, scumbag articles.
1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's a pretty classic troll job right there. What they say is technically true, none of the incoming recruits are ranked as high as the Mitchells were by recruiting services, but as we all know it lacks some pretty important context and background information that's crucial to telling the complete story. They know it'll just rile up URI fans that know better and successfully dupe some casual fans that don't know better.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Don't click!
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A big DUH for this link. ! Isn’t it reasonable at this point to compare Rory to HORCHLER FROM P.C. Big guys that can shoot. Didn’t realize that North Florida (which was where Horchler came from) was a program that was a top ten !!🙁
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Hard to tell exactly when they decided to stop crediting individual reporters and just go by "GoLocalProv Sports Team", but it just always reeks of one guy in a room sniffing his own turds.
giphy_s.gif
8 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

For years they have been a group of bias driven douche bags hiding behind their agenda driven anonymity , SHAMEFUL " journalism " !
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I cant recall ever reading a Uri "article" on golocal that was credited to a specific writer
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So, basically a gossip column/message board?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago So, basically a gossip column/message board?
With worse sources
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

They historically have a PRO pee cee slant and an ANTI URI slant. I actually called out Kate and Josh Fenton for this years ago.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Did this guy die in 2014?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
He still does a show on WEEI on Saturday mornings. I'm not sure if he's still associated with GoLocal, but he was the sports editor at one time.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

forgot about him since the days of the score and when he got into a little trouble with his "girlfriend"
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
He still does a show on WEEI on Saturday mornings. I'm not sure if he's still associated with GoLocal, but he was the sports editor at one time.
But, you didn't answer Pete's question though
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Ok, yes he did. He broadcasts on Saturday mornings from Hell.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So, Providence then?
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

So, Providence then?
Just one 88-acre section between Eaton and Admiral streets.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.