Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Help me out here, my colleague who is a Penn St grad said he’s being hit up to sign up to provide monthly donations to a collective for Penn St NIL. Is that the future? Cut my donation to URI in half and give the other half to the collective?
Yes, it’s the present.
Agree it’s the present. Some like a booster club for athlete payments others more nefarious. And precisely what the NCAA now after the fact is going to try and control. Yeah ok.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Translation: I need all the subway alumni who own businesses to come up with six-figure sponsorship deals so I can get better players.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Translation: I need all the subway alumni who own businesses to come up with six-figure sponsorship deals so I can get better players.
That's certainly one way to deal...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Poor Notre Dame. Where will they get the money to compete with the big boys ? [sarcasm]
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Poor Notre Dame. Where will they get the money to compete with the big boys ? [sarcasm]
Aww...he's just tryin' to rally the troops
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... need-solve

NIL related, but look at overall future.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... need-solve

NIL related, but look at overall future.
Thanks, RIFan. A good and quick read.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My synopsis: Big time football calls all the shots. No more P5. It is P2 now. They are the major leagues. Former P5 are now AAA. All other football schools are AA. Big East and Gonzaga in hoops are AAA. We are AA in basketball with a few other mid major conferences. The rest are A ball or instructional league.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What do we have to offer kids who are transferring from schools like North Carolina, Seton Hall and Missouri? Yes, I know, playing time. But is that enough these days? I'm not so sure.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Our beaches are much better than theirs? Or you mean more than that? :)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago What do we have to offer kids who are transferring from schools like North Carolina, Seton Hall and Missouri? Yes, I know, playing time. But is that enough these days? I'm not so sure.
For many its not sadly.

We would have really been screwed if we didn't hire Archie lol
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Our beaches are much better than theirs? Or you mean more than that? :)
Bar, post high school I played a lot of summer and winter league ball with a local player that was offered a scholly to Hawaii when he was coming out of high school. He didn’t go, however, and stayed local.

I wasn’t good enough coming out of HS but man, if I was and I had an offer from Hawaii…woooohoooo! Hang ten!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Our beaches are much better than theirs? Or you mean more than that? :)
Bar, post high school I played a lot of summer and winter league ball with a local player that was offered a scholly to Hawaii when he was coming out of high school. He didn’t go, however, and stayed local.

I wasn’t good enough coming out of HS but man, if I was and I had an offer from Hawaii…woooohoooo! Hang ten!
I'll never understand why Hawaii isn't a bigger destination for athletes. Yeah, your road game travel is long, but you're in college in Hawaii and you're the biggest show in town by a mile. That should be a big enough draw to be able to put together some really great rosters
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I'll never understand why Hawaii isn't a bigger destination for athletes. Yeah, your road game travel is long, but you're in college in Hawaii and you're the biggest show in town by a mile. That should be a big enough draw to be able to put together some really great rosters
Add a nice NIL deal…oooph! I’m down.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UConn Coaches Q&A tonight at CT bar.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The SEC Shorts YouTube channel is outstanding during normal times, but their take on the Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher NIL dustup is hilarious

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago My synopsis: Big time football calls all the shots. No more P5. It is P2 now. They are the major leagues. Former P5 are now AAA. ...
I assume the P2 is the SEC and Big10. I have a hard time excluding the PAC12.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago My synopsis: Big time football calls all the shots. No more P5. It is P2 now. They are the major leagues. Former P5 are now AAA. ...
I assume the P2 is the SEC and Big10. I have a hard time excluding the PAC12.
It's not going to end up being the same as football, ever, imo. Hoops is always going to be more volatile. Think about it, three players could get together and swing ev-er thing in hoops. Me, my friend, and this other guy... where we wanna win? This is is not that far off. In the meantime, we can make hay while the sun is shining. Great coach that's been there, knows the league...

Think about this...what if the hoops team has the same kind of season as the baseball team?

ETA:. And peeps would say, who coulda known blah blah blah...and I would say, not many...
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points above, NYG. Football is a different animal as to popularity, money, number of scholarships, etc.

Also, I think geography and demographics play a role in football when discussing the dominance and level of interest of college fb and the SEC and Big 10.

My perception is that the South and Midwest appear be more college football driven. Not to say that the other parts of the country are disinterested but I think they are not as hyper-focused on fb. And, the hyper- focus within those geographic areas are a key ingredient in driving a separation between the SEC/Big 10 and other P5 conferences in football. But that’s just my perception from a distance.

That said, I hope college bb does not follow the same path. Imho, college bb’s interest is not as hyper-focused geographically as football. To me, interest appears to be more equally dispersed across the country with some areas of higher interest but not the hyper level we see in football. Hopefully, that spread of interest somewhat holds back the forces driving football.

A lot of good discussion in this thread. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I hope, any changes to college bb that May come wait until I’m not here, at least.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Another point about NIL and college bb that I was thinking about recently. I wonder - with some star players making significant money - if we will see issues cropping up that is sometimes seen in the NBA as to coach-ability of players, players advocating for coaching changes, reduced of motivation to get better or win because they are satisfied?

I am not so sure we will but, human nature being what it is, I wonder. I am interested in what other KB’ers think.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Always been a fan
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I said the same here recently
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Gross
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can we create a job like this? Is it in the budget?

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cunningham turns down $100,000 offered by Overtime Elite to keep future options open. Kevin Ollie’s organization. Could still go to college later (and keep NIL in the picture). 1st player to do this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-1-basketb ... 00378.html
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I thought this article does a nice job of discussing what may be more important today, spending money on facilities or basically on players. Now I am not sure the school themselves can directly pay players, but do you ask your boosters for support for building a practice facility or to fund some NIL collective that can be used to pay the players. Now that we are finally getting the practice facility off the ground, is that the best use of booster money today? Food for thought. Note - it is about John Calipari and Kentucky, yes John Calipari complaining about the facilities at UK.

Here is the article, it was not behind a paywall when I clicked on it so hopefully that is the case.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-col ... 41512.html
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What is URI doing through boosters to compensate players? No one is talking.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago What is URI doing through boosters to compensate players? No one is talking.
Because the NCAA hasn't provide their guidelines yet. They only said they were going to establish guidelines and retroactively punish schools who were not in compliance. URI is best served to not publicize any involvement. If boosters have businesses, they can reach out to players. At the ST event they had a booth with pamphlets on dos and don'ts relating to NIL to make sure nobody gets the school/players into trouble.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago What is URI doing through boosters to compensate players? No one is talking.
Because the NCAA hasn't provide their guidelines yet. They only said they were going to establish guidelines and retroactively punish schools who were not in compliance. URI is best served to not publicize any involvement. If boosters have businesses, they can reach out to players. At the ST event they had a booth with pamphlets on dos and don'ts relating to NIL to make sure nobody gets the school/players into trouble.
Are these pamphlets available on-line? Someone at URI must be identifying recruits of interest to boosters with something to offer. If not, URI is at a serious recruiting disadvantage - and it doesn't seem so. Does it?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Did anyone see the Instagram Sittin’ with Swae “episode” it was brought to us by delta dental. Is that an NIL gig?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Did anyone see the Instagram Sittin’ with Swae “episode” it was brought to us by delta dental. Is that an NIL gig?
It was posted on the MBB official social media accounts so I don't think so. I don't think the school can be involved in NIL deals. It would need to be posted to Carey's IG and Twitter accounts.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Are these pamphlets available on-line? Someone at URI must be identifying recruits of interest to boosters with something to offer. If not, URI is at a serious recruiting disadvantage - and it doesn't seem so. Does it?
Let me Google that for you....

https://gorhody.com/sports/2021/9/28/nil.aspx
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Did anyone see the Instagram Sittin’ with Swae “episode” it was brought to us by delta dental. Is that an NIL gig?
It was posted on the MBB official social media accounts so I don't think so. I don't think the school can be involved in NIL deals. It would need to be posted to Carey's IG and Twitter accounts.
I'm not sure that's the case. For instance, here is Michigan athletics' official website, with plenty of gear signed by students and apparel with their names and numbers.

https://www.mden.com/UM-name-image-likeness.html

First result when I googled Michigan bookstore NIL. I specifically picked them because I seemed to remember news when NIL first broke about how Michigan's bookstore was going to partner with athletes to sell their merchandise. It seems the policy is the University can't manage the NIL deals for the students, those are handled by a separate entity, but the University and the athlete with the NIL deal can partner. That's why you're seeing these third party entities, often run by ex-players like Valiant for Michigan (https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/fo ... ssistance/) and Success with Honor for Penn State (https://successwithhonor.com/about/ hahahaha Penn State and honor together HAHAHAHAHA), popping up around athletic programs almost like new booster clubs.

So yeah, this is another area we're woefully behind in already. We know that our bookstore is already completely overmatched when it comes to properly licensing our brand. Official apparel is rare to never available. We launched a new logo and even now, a little more than four months after unveiling, we barely have any of that on items to purchase. We've gone from one hoodie at launch to two now, the same three men's t-shirts, three items with the old ram logo on fanatics but none with the new logo and so on down the line. Now imagine them trying to do what Michigan has available for shirts. But the thing is, that's damn near free money for everyone involved to do something like that. You're telling me each athlete in every sport couldn't sell at least 20 $40 Adidas t-shirts to friends, family, and fans that had Rhode Island "insert sport" and logo on the front and the athletes name and number on the back? We're already selling them for $29 on the bookstore website, give each athlete $10 for each shirt like that they sell and each athlete gets a free $200 to start and the bookstore is making more money on shirts sold.

Also, this is a perfect space for ex-athletes like Lamar Odom and alums like Andrew Donkin who was Under Armour's Chief Marketing Officer to create a collective for URI athletes using their expertise and connections to maximize what the athletes receive and making sure we stay as competitive as possible
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhowdy, thanks for the post above. I don’t have any background in what you presented. In your opinion, what steps would Rhody have to take to be similar to Michigan?

I am sincerely curious. No need to rush responding.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
I'm not sure that's the case. For instance, here is Michigan athletics' official website, with plenty of gear signed by students and apparel with their names and numbers.

https://www.mden.com/UM-name-image-likeness.html

First result when I googled Michigan bookstore NIL. I specifically picked them because I seemed to remember news when NIL first broke about how Michigan's bookstore was going to partner with athletes to sell their merchandise. It seems the policy is the University can't manage the NIL deals for the students, those are handled by a separate entity, but the University and the athlete with the NIL deal can partner. That's why you're seeing these third party entities, often run by ex-players like Valiant for Michigan (https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/fo ... ssistance/) and Success with Honor for Penn State (https://successwithhonor.com/about/ hahahaha Penn State and honor together HAHAHAHAHA), popping up around athletic programs almost like new booster clubs.

So yeah, this is another area we're woefully behind in already. We know that our bookstore is already completely overmatched when it comes to properly licensing our brand. Official apparel is rare to never available. We launched a new logo and even now, a little more than four months after unveiling, we barely have any of that on items to purchase. We've gone from one hoodie at launch to two now, the same three men's t-shirts, three items with the old ram logo on fanatics but none with the new logo and so on down the line. Now imagine them trying to do what Michigan has available for shirts. But the thing is, that's damn near free money for everyone involved to do something like that. You're telling me each athlete in every sport couldn't sell at least 20 $40 Adidas t-shirts to friends, family, and fans that had Rhode Island "insert sport" and logo on the front and the athletes name and number on the back? We're already selling them for $29 on the bookstore website, give each athlete $10 for each shirt like that they sell and each athlete gets a free $200 to start and the bookstore is making more money on shirts sold.

Also, this is a perfect space for ex-athletes like Lamar Odom and alums like Andrew Donkin who was Under Armour's Chief Marketing Officer to create a collective for URI athletes using their expertise and connections to maximize what the athletes receive and making sure we stay as competitive as possible
I stand corrected
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KEY POINTS
  • Topps' parent company, Fanatics, will launch a line of trading cards featuring college athletes.
  • The company didn't disclose how much some of the athletes will be paid, but says their compensation will vary depending on several factors.
  • The Florida company says the college market is an "untapped category" that can bring in new collectors.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/09/fan ... ards-.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No need for College for some
G-League Ignite - Puma deal

https://www.yahoo.com/news/18-old-g-lea ... 11818.html
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/14/m ... -john-ruiz

NCAA has begun an inquiry into Miami and booster John Ruiz.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A long but highly informative assessment of the NIL landscape.

As I’ve been saying all along the marketing value of college athletes has been massively overestimated and overhyped by media and pundits. “True” NIL deals are on average $1,200 per athlete and on the high end of market (biggest schools and biggest players) a good deal is considered 20k.

The hype has been driven by the Collectives offering pay for play money not actual NIL and the very few big ticket sorta “endorsement” deals (like the U.Miami guy) that are few and far between.

Unless the VCU and Dayton’s of the world get into the “pay for play” business for the most part we will not lose a kid we want due to NIL based on the data thus far. And there isn’t anything that is going to “spike” the popularity/value of college athletes more than we have now so this seems like what the market will be.

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jay Bilas called for reducing the number of Division I programs from 354 to 120.
“There’s no way 354 teams are competitive with one another,” he said. “They’re not competitive in resources. You name it. They’re not competitive in any way.
“And just because Saint Peter’s beat Kentucky doesn’t mean they’re competitive with Kentucky, because they’re two different things.”
Fewer Division I programs would concentrate the talent and make for more competitive basketball, Bilas said before adding, “Now, a number of places aren’t going to like it because it’s going to cut them out of their dream of being the next Gonzaga. But, to me, it’s a no-brainer for the enterprise.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/traditional- ... 00042.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jay Bilas is a fuckwad.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

And so it begins. The P5 starting to lay the ground work using Bilas as their pied piper. I say a big F off to them and their chicken shit ideas.

And as far as Kentucky and St. Pete’s….

Well Jay, that’s why they play the f’in games. That why they play, so don’t get your ass beat Kentucky or go cry a river somewhere else.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Jay Bilas is a fuckwad.
Yeah disagree with Jay here don’t mess with what we got now as far as the number of D1 teams
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jay Bilas called for reducing the number of Division I programs from 354 to 120.
“There’s no way 354 teams are competitive with one another,” he said. “They’re not competitive in resources. You name it. They’re not competitive in any way.
“And just because Saint Peter’s beat Kentucky doesn’t mean they’re competitive with Kentucky, because they’re two different things.”
Fewer Division I programs would concentrate the talent and make for more competitive basketball, Bilas said before adding, “Now, a number of places aren’t going to like it because it’s going to cut them out of their dream of being the next Gonzaga. But, to me, it’s a no-brainer for the enterprise.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/traditional- ... 00042.html
No surprise.

Jay Bilas has always been one of the privileged few. Raised in wealthy Rolling Hills Estates, Calif. Educated at spoiled-rich-kid Duke U. and Duke Law School. Landed a job with a high-powered D.C. law firm. Joined ESPN and assumed Billy Packer's role as the the leading cheerleader for the haves over the have-nots, complaining that Cartel schools should get at-large NCAA berths over more qualified riffraff.

He merely said out loud what lots of Cartel schools are thinking.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So would half the teams make the NCAA tournament? Talk about lame. That would have to be shrunk to like 16 teams to make it meaningful.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Everyone seems against this, but honestly, he's probably right. I don't know what the exact number of teams should be, but 354 Division 1 teams is ridiculous and there is no way for them to meaningfully compete night in and night out. Frankly our conference is ground zero for that point. You have some schools where basketball is invested in at a big boy level, some schools where they're just going through the motions and cashing the checks, and a middle ground. If you split college basketball into Division 1A and 1AA like football, where 1 school from every 1AA conference got to play in March Madness and there were a limit to how many 1AA home games a 1A school could schedule, how would the sport be materially different? March Madness would be the same under the new model. Seems like if anything the regular season would be more compelling with better non-conference regular season games because the top schools couldn't pad their early season schedule with all cupcakes.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To mine and Jay's point. Last year there were 10 multi-bid conferences, and those 10 conferences had 122 member schools. Splitting the top of division off into a 1A is already de facto a thing
0 x