Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Heck yeah !!
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great news!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It'll be nice to showcase the construction updates throughout this year/next season. Sounds like players can get in the facility after next season.
2 x
GO RAMS
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

I may be an outlier here but it would be nice to see upgrades to the other sports facilities as well. The soccer team doesn’t have a press box or restroom facilities, our D1 outdoor track team doesn’t have a track (practices at a high school) and I won’t mention the albatross at Meade Stadium.

A practice facility is the ultimate want vs need and is not a harbinger of success. Kentucky, with all of its resources got beat by a 15 seed who plays in a bubbled, 3k seat multi-purpose arena.

I’ll take a quality coach over facilities all day and it appears we have one in Miller.

Let’s fund our expectations for all sports.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 2 years ago I may be an outlier here but it would be nice to see upgrades to the other sports facilities as well. The soccer team doesn’t have a press box or restroom facilities, our D1 outdoor track team doesn’t have a track (practices at a high school) and I won’t mention the albatross at Meade Stadium.

A practice facility is the ultimate want vs need and is not a harbinger of success. Kentucky, with all of its resources got beat by a 15 seed who plays in a bubbled, 3k seat multi-purpose arena.

I’ll take a quality coach over facilities all day and it appears we have one in Miller.

You do know that the commitment to building the practice facility was one of the requirements for getting Miller, right?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..NCAA $$ raises all boats, no?….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 2 years ago I may be an outlier here but it would be nice to see upgrades to the other sports facilities as well. The soccer team doesn’t have a press box or restroom facilities, our D1 outdoor track team doesn’t have a track (practices at a high school) and I won’t mention the albatross at Meade Stadium.

Soccer, track, softball, etc do not bring money or move the needle for the university.

Football just had turf, light, and weight room upgrades.

URI is a basketball school, the sport brings money and eyeballs to Kingston, and needs to be funded as that.
2 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

And none of those sports make a dime for the University.

Basketball = revenue. Especially when you start racking up NCAA shares at 250k per year per game.

Fact is you don't get or keep a quality coach without basketball program projects like practice facilities and charter flights
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Displayed May 4, 2022 at Season Tkt Event:
Attachments
3B36816F-2D3C-4524-889A-DA64933F7DFB.jpeg
8ECCD64B-AC8B-43C2-8EC9-99EE93CEBABC.jpeg
9731DE8D-68C8-4802-BF65-7E201E3B512B.jpeg
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two more pictures:
9F653A71-042E-49BF-A326-DB13BC4A9067.jpeg
2ED5604E-4B6F-4AE7-81D8-CF23F25CF1AA.jpeg
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

nice !

TY for posting
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Guarantee you would not have got Miller without the practice facility plans. Have to have a practice facility today if you want to have a serious program.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

Guarantee you would not have got Miller without the practice facility plans. Have to have a practice facility today if you want to have a serious program.

These are two pictures from a display at the entrance to Tootell West from early last November, 2021 that I took. There were about 5 displayed back then for several weeks. I didn’t share them then since I didn’t think I should even though they were in the hallway.

Last November in Ft Myers Thorr shared that the design firm was selected (same as for Ryan Center) and work was underway. Same timeline shared then as in place now.

Thorr shared that our President had given the ok to move forward even though still a bit short of the $7.9 million total.

Point is the Practice Facility Project was approved and in motion last year.

Did the excitement help to draw Head Coaching candidates for the David Cox vacancy? Sure. Of course.

But it is not being done because Miller took the job. I’d agree it was likely a strong point in our favor. And credit to our President and Thorr and donors for having the vision and foresight last year to move this project last year during very trying Covid times.

161887A9-55E8-4C59-A4FE-D5B25BEF1F19.jpeg
F9C62BA1-2D3C-483A-8503-B071A3CA0024.jpeg
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Interesting they’re going with that Ram head in the last picture Ramster posted.

That’s isn’t an old logo or the newest logo.

I’ve seen that thrown around random twitter accounts, but never by the university.

Would be odd if they don’t use the newest Ram head they’ve been advertising on merchandise and the court next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Absolutely love these renderings. It's great to see URI becoming a legitimate program in front of our eyes.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting they’re going with that Ram head in the last picture Ramster posted.

I’ve seen that thrown around random twitter accounts, but never by the university.

Would be odd if they don’t use the newest Ram head they’ve been advertising on merchandise and the court next season.

good observation - i actually noticed that also before

would think that it would be the newest logo - but who knows
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think there was a note saying that the wall art is TBD. That was definitely a concept that never made it.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting they’re going with that Ram head in the last picture Ramster posted.

Remember I said these were from last November, this was early on and the new Ram Head had not been announced yet.
I’d go by the pictures from last night STH Event. I only shows from November to illustrate how the practice Facility was in motion. It was approved and being built regardless of when the HC Opening was going to occur.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two things that I think were part of Archie’s negotiations:
1) get full funding - either President or donor stepped up with the final $700,000 as part of Archie’s agreement.
2) firm open date of June 2023. Throrr has thrown many dates out there before- just ask Dan and Cox.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Two things that I think were part of Archie’s negotiations:
1) get full funding - either President or donor stepped up with the final $700,000 as part of Archie’s agreement.
2) firm open date of June 2023. Throrr has thrown many dates out there before- just ask Dan and Cox.
I think it was the president stepping up before the Archie offer.

Remember Thorr talked a lot about going to Archie and saying "this is what we're doing, not this is what we want to do."

They learned their lessons from Dan leaving. Having a "plan" doesn't mean anything in this business. Just like when Darren Rizzi was recruiting kids with the "promise" that they'd be playing in a new horseshoe stadium their senior year.

URI stepped up so that someone like Archie would listen to an offer and want to join with what we ARE doing, not planning to do.

The practice facility was going to be done next year no matter who we got as a head coach.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Remember I said these were from last November, this was early on and the new Ram Head had not been announced yet.
I’d go by the pictures from last night STH Event. I only shows from November to illustrate how the practice Facility was in motion. It was approved and being built regardless of when the HC Opening was going to occur.

The picture last night showed the same Ram head as the picture you took from last November.

Most likely was just a concept logo, and the new Ram head will go in place of what is shown in the picture.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Two things that I think were part of Archie’s negotiations:

Remember Thorr talked a lot about going to Archie and saying "this is what we're doing, not this is what we want to do."

They learned their lessons from Dan leaving. Having a "plan" doesn't mean anything in this business. Just like when Darren Rizzi was recruiting kids with the "promise" that they'd be playing in a new horseshoe stadium their senior year.

URI stepped up so that someone like Archie would listen to an offer and want to join with what we ARE doing, not planning to do.

The practice facility was going to be done next year no matter who we got as a head coach.
Exactly this. Thorr exactly said this during the Miller press conference. (Paraphrasing to Parlange, "It can't be, 'we're planning to do this.' It has to be, "This is what we are doing.'"
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Exactly this. Thorr exactly said this during the Miller press conference. (Paraphrasing to Parlange, "It can't be, 'we're planning to do this.' It has to be, "This is what we are doing.'"
We were $7.3 million way back at Halloween. Then we were only $300k short earlier this year.
The Practice Facility was approved, design well underway and plans for bidding the project out well before Archie came along.

Going back a year or so several here were complaining $8 million was too much to spend on the project.

Thorr and Parlange made sure to get this project in motion.

And consider 2 year contract extension and big raise for Tammi after just 2 years (got A10 COY), then another big extension after her 3rd year but Cox never got a raise and minimal contract extension.

Don’t think Thorr wasn’t well prepared and ready to pull the trigger before this 2021-22 season even started. You could read the tea leaves.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

NIL $ is now more important than a practice facility. Just my opinion
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 2 years ago Let’s fund our expectations for all sports.
Athletic administrations are heads of a family and are incapable of restructuring in a significant way to address the infrastructure problems that URI athletic programs face. We are over extended and in need of major subtractions and additions. The Board needs to impose changes to achieve excellence within current budget constraints.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Athletic administrations are heads of a family and are incapable of restructuring in a significant way to address the infrastructure problems that URI athletic programs face. We are over extended and in need of major subtractions and additions. The Board needs to impose changes to achieve excellence within current budget constraints.
What changes should the Board implement?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago NIL $ is now more important than a practice facility. Just my opinion
Totally agree...a practice facility is attractive, but not like that cash money, homes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago NIL $ is now more important than a practice facility. Just my opinion
Totally agree...a practice facility is attractive, but not like that cash money, homes.
Cars, G-League, Portal
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As a manager of people, what changes should they make that aren’t already underway, oh wise troll?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

As a manager of people, what changes should they make that aren’t already underway, oh wise troll?
He lost me when he said that administrations are like families, but sealed the deal when he said that the kb board could impose changes to impact the budget.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I find it baffling that these practice facility pics were not shared on rhodymbb social media
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago I find it baffling that these practice facility pics were not shared on rhodymbb social media
I’ve been thinking that since I first saw the displays in early November. Why wouldn’t you want to promote what you are doing?
Why not get players, coaches, fans and prospective recruits excited?
We did promote the Football Lights and new Turf. People knew it was coming. But still not media coverage of this Practice Facility. It will be open in a year.
If this was for Football I think you would have already seen lots of info and promotion as Football would have taken charge.
Basketball doesn’t seem do this. Where is Marketing and Promotion?
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

All these things will increase ticket sales, apparel, and perhaps open up licensing opportunities especially if they start retiring numbers and hanging jerseys.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

funny because jsut yesterday i went looking for an announcement - heck even of the court - they could have marketed it as new chapter - new court or some BS like that and amped it up

but no... nothing

thank goodness to the person who posted the pictures on here or else i would have had no idea
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe the wanted to wait until there was more of a guarantee that this was happening before promoting it?
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’s kind of a weird thing to “market” something to the public that is not for them and to which they will not really have any access. Like, the people here on this board understand what it is and why it is significant but to the general public it’s a bit odd to market something to them just to seemingly toot your own horn that you have it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

You are probably correct, Ramulous.

Anyway…My cynical side has always seen these things as the price of admission (no pun intended to our national higher Ed system) to the arms race the P5’s - with the ballessness of the NCAA - are happy to unleash because they know they have the resources and clout to win.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago I find it baffling that these practice facility pics were not shared on rhodymbb social media
I’ve been thinking that since I first saw the displays in early November. Why wouldn’t you want to promote what you are doing?
Why not get players, coaches, fans and prospective recruits excited?
We did promote the Football Lights and new Turf. People knew it was coming. But still not media coverage of this Practice Facility. It will be open in a year.
If this was for Football I think you would have already seen lots of info and promotion as Football would have taken charge.
Basketball doesn’t seem do this. Where is Marketing and Promotion?
The whole University is going stealth mode. Archie’s doing. :D
We will have a new parking garage and never see it coming. 8-)

Seriously though, I think Rhody bb can be so much smarter with marketing. There are very intelligent people in and around the program but, every so often, we see oversights and mis-steps. I am dumbfounded by it.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago It’s kind of a weird thing to “market” something to the public that is not for them and to which they will not really have any access. Like, the people here on this board understand what it is and why it is significant but to the general public it’s a bit odd to market something to them just to seemingly toot your own horn that you have it.
Not only that, but marketing it will lead to those ill-informed people to raging about their tax dollars being wasted even though not a single cent of people's taxes went into it.

Why give ammo to those who won't argue in good faith?
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago It’s kind of a weird thing to “market” something to the public that is not for them and to which they will not really have any access. Like, the people here on this board understand what it is and why it is significant but to the general public it’s a bit odd to market something to them just to seemingly toot your own horn that you have it.
Not only that, but marketing it will lead to those ill-informed people to raging about their tax dollars being wasted even though not a single cent of people's taxes went into it.

Good points above. I think when many say marketing it is meant generically - I do, anyway. Probably better for me to use strategic marketing, for lack of a better term (I wasn’t a marketing major). As in, market the items to the appropriate constituents.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When PC, VCU, UCONN and others got their Practice Facilities approved there was plenty of publicity. In fact, when others built practice facilities the subject then on this board was why not URI?
Evan when it got approved at URI some posters here bitched it was too much money to spend being $8 million - even though all donated.
I’ve even had posters here challenge about the approval and they won’t believe it til the ground-breaking.

Promoting the Practice Facility will generate more interest in URI basketball in media, among fans and among recruits.

All the money is donated. Put that in the headline of the ProJo article if your worried about Tax Payers. I’m not.

Think Big - We Do!!!!
Brag about our Athletic Facilities!

Heck, look at the URI Football Site where they are showing a possible Stadium of the Future that’s not even planned or approved yet - more of a dream to show fans, recruits and their families. Football and WBB are great with social media and selling their programs. MBB has room to grow - especially since Hurley departed.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is somewhat embarrassing that thePractice Facility concept to renovate existing space was committed to Dan 5-6 years ago.

Fyi, the Practice Facility is equally the Mens and Womens Practice Facility. The publicity, promotion & marketing falls completely on Thorr.
Nothing to do with the social media and selling of Mens BB program.
Last edited by Rhody83 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago It is somewhat embarrassing that the Practice Facility concept to renovate existing space was committed to Dan 5-6 years ago.

Fyi, the Practice Facility is equally the Mens and Practice Facility. The publicity, promotion & marketing falls completely on Thorr.
Nothing to do with the social media and selling of Mens BB program.
Each team should have their own practice facility. Sharing practice facilities is small time.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

When PC, VCU, UCONN and others got their Practice Facilities approved there was plenty of publicity. In fact, when others built practice facilities the subject then on this board was why not URI?
Evan when it got approved at URI some posters here bitched it was too much money to spend being $8 million - even though all donated.
I’ve even had posters here challenge about the approval and they won’t believe it til the ground-breaking.

Promoting the Practice Facility will generate more interest in URI basketball in media, among fans and among recruits.

All the money is donated. Put that in the headline of the ProJo article if your worried about Tax Payers. I’m not.

Think Big - We Do!!!!

Heck, look at the URI Football Site where they are showing a possible Stadium of the Future that’s not even planned or approved yet - more of a dream to show fans, recruits and their families. Football and WBB are great with social media and selling their programs. MBB has room to grow - especially since Hurley departed.
Man, did you not see the blow back when it was announced that they hired Archie?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Think Big - We Do!!!!

Man, did you not see the blow back when it was announced that they hired Archie?
Don’t know what you mean. What does blow back mean in this case?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Think Big - We Do!!!!

Don’t know what you mean. What does blow back mean in this case?
I forgot which thread, but someone posted a screenshot or pic from the ProJo of some guy in Cranston complaining about his tax dollars being wasted on a coach (talking about Archie's contract). He was just one example. There are mass amounts of people who never read past the headline and get all outraged over things they have no understanding of.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhode Islanders are notorious for being pessimistic about any investment except filling potholes. Just noise. This facility is going to be awesome.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Islanders are notorious for being pessimistic about any investment except filling potholes. Just noise. This facility is going to be awesome.
We need an awesome practice facility for every program that doesn't have to be scheduled with other programs so that it is always accessible to student athletes. It is only achievable by right-sizing programs offered while staying Title IX compliant. This is how you get to excellence.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Islanders are notorious for being pessimistic about any investment except filling potholes. Just noise. This facility is going to be awesome.
ummm....check out 138 by west k park, or chunks of rt 2.... Looks like there's still some pessimism around potholery....
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

6 x