2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago DFF, how much coffee did you drink this morning? :D

Coffee always gets me wound up. Makes me ask a lot of questions, if you haven’t noticed.

Seriously though. I always appreciate you joining the fray here. Good stuff.
I am just repeating myself at this point.

It's not the coffee, this scheduling situation has bothered me for a long time. I just can't understand why UD sat there for many years and did not copy what Xavier and Butler were doing. This was back when the p5 was still playing 16 and 18 game league schedules, good scheduling opportunities were still very prevalent, and X and BU collected many high profile scalps during those years, raised their profiles, won a bunch of ncaat games, and got to the next level in the form of the BE.

That door is largely shut now with 20 game p5 league schedules, you have to take neutral or one way games now, and the BE may be permanently done expanding, UD missed its window of opportunity.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
So if I understand you, Dayton's scheduling bothers you? It's been a hinderance on the program? Held them back? This is a program that goes to the NCAA, or worst NIT, on a pretty much regular basis? Despite having coaches go in and out of the program? Same Dayton program that would've been a #1 seed a few year ago had it not been for Covid cancellation?

Yeah, I can see why you're so mad. That must be awful to deal with. My deepest sympathies to you. (By the way, didn't Xavier and Butler just fire their coaches? Maybe Anthony Grant knows something that Travis Steele and Lavall Jordan didn't.)

Talk about 1st world problems...geez.
Riiight...Butler went to 2 title games, won a bunch of ncaat games, and made it into the BE.

Xavier won even more ncaat games than Butler did iinm and made it into the BE.

Dayton had 1 good year under Grant with a top 10 NBA draft pick, during the modern era doesn’t have nearly as many ncaat bids or ncaat wins as either X or BU, and excluding Archie's years, since the mid 1980's has largely missed the ncaat much more than they have made it.

X and BU have been on a much higher level over the last 20 years or so unfortunately for Dayton.

Dayton would kill to have the success that X and BU have had.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
So if I understand you, Dayton's scheduling bothers you? It's been a hinderance on the program? Held them back? This is a program that goes to the NCAA, or worst NIT, on a pretty much regular basis? Despite having coaches go in and out of the program? Same Dayton program that would've been a #1 seed a few year ago had it not been for Covid cancellation?

Yeah, I can see why you're so mad. That must be awful to deal with. My deepest sympathies to you. (By the way, didn't Xavier and Butler just fire their coaches? Maybe Anthony Grant knows something that Travis Steele and Lavall Jordan didn't.)

Riiight...Butler went to 2 title games, won a bunch of ncaat games, and made it into the BE.

Dayton had 1 good year under Grant with a top 10 NBA draft pick, during the modern era doesn’t have nearly as many ncaat bids or ncaat wins as either X or BU, and excluding Archie's years, since the mid 1980's has largely missed the ncaat much more than they have made it.

X and BU have been on a much higher level over the last 20 years or so unfortunately for Dayton.

And we would kill to have your fan support (all home games sold
Out before the season), consistently being in the conversation for NCAA, NIT, and on the bubble.

Dayton is one of the top mid major brands in the country.

You guys were in the tournament this year until Dayton went on a miracle A10 run.

The first team out of the tournament seems like a good year to me, especially with the majority of production coming form freshman and sophomores.

Please spare us the “woe is me” when it comes to The University of Dayton’s mens basketball program.

However, you also said PC should fire Ed Cooley, so maybe what you say here should only be taken with a half grain of salt.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is a classic grass is always greener convo

One of the best mid major brands for sure but with that comes added expectations. Dayton hasn’t won an NCAA tourney game in 7 years.

And I will agree that there have been some years in recent memory where UDs schedule was a hindrance to their NCAA aspirations and the majority of their fan base on twitter etc was voicing similar concerns as DFF.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Out before the season), consistently being in the conversation for NCAA, NIT, and on the bubble.

You guys were in the tournament this year until Dayton went on a miracle A10 run.

The first team out of the tournament seems like a good year to me, especially with the majority of production coming form freshman and sophomores.

Please spare us the “woe is me” when it comes to The University of Dayton’s mens basketball program.

However, you also said PC should fire Ed Cooley, so maybe what you say here should only be taken with a half grain of salt.
First team out is a good year? Yeah, not. NCAAT or bust.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago This is a classic grass is always greener convo

One of the best mid major brands for sure but with that comes added expectations. Dayton hasn’t won an NCAA tourney game in 7 years.

And I will agree that there have been some years in recent memory where UDs schedule was a hindrance to their NCAA aspirations and the majority of their fan base on twitter etc was voicing similar concerns as DFF.
Let's not dismiss the fact that in 2020 they were ranked #3 nationally and would have been a #1 seed, had post-season not been cancelled.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

If that’s the case (it’s not) then URI is one of the worst basketball programs in America.

10 NCAA appearances = 10 good seasons

Everything else? Absolute shit, according to you.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If that’s the case (it’s not) then URI is one of the worst basketball programs in America.

Agreed. Everything else is shit. NCAAT or bust.
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I think Archie is the best coach in the A10 right now, I have never had anything but glowing compliments to say about Archie, I will be very surprised if he doesn't do well at RI, although I did think that he was going to kill it at IU, I am not sure what went wrong at IU, I think he is a fantastic coach, I wish he were still at Dayton.

There were some off-the-court player behavior problems under Archie at Dayton, but there was nothing that I thought was extremely serious. And there were some complaints from some fans regarding Archie not being friendly enough with the fans/not ingratiating himself enough with the fans/thinking he was better than UD/Archie not kissing enough ass, so there is that also I suppose.

So, in the words of John Cougar Mellencamp, I suppose one can say: "Everybody's got their problems-ain't no new news here
I'm the same old trouble you've been having for years..."

We've all got stuff to bitch about I guess...UD fans, RI fans, etc.

Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seton Hall has made the NCAAT 14 times. Come back?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Let's not dismiss the fact that in 2020 they were ranked #3 nationally and would have been a #1 seed, had post-season not been cancelled.
Everyone does dismiss it tho because....well... cancelled means it didn't happen...no one cares.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Everyone does dismiss it tho because....well... cancelled means it didn't happen...no one cares.
Man, if that had happened to us, I’d be pretty darn salty. That’s for sure.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sorry, they had a great season with the National POY and that should be acknowledged.

Almost everyone on this board (including you, I believe) seemed to care that Cox struggled at the end of that season and we fell off the bubble. Many were disappointed at how we finished and had doubts about him as HC.
So yes that season did happen, and we cared. Can't have it both ways.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

Man, if that had happened to us, I’d be pretty darn salty. That’s for sure.
You could be wicked salty...still no one would care.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Fair enough, but they played 3 probable nccat teams that year during the regular season...probable 1 seed Kansas on a neutral court, an ot loss...probable 8 or 9 seed Colorado another ot loss at a neutral site...and probable 11 seed Richmond, a road win...also probable next four out RI, a home win and an away win.

Based upon that, it is possible that they don't make it past the round of 32. We will never know. Nobody ever looks at the other side of the coin, everybody always talks about them going to the Elite 8, Final 4, or title game.

The nccat being canceled allows the prospect of greatness for that team to live on unblemished. Had the ncaat been played, and they lost in the round of 32, the view of that team would have been greatly negatively impacted.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sorry, they had a great season with the National POY and that should be acknowledged.

Almost everyone on this board (including you, I believe) seemed to care that Cox struggled at the end of that season and we fell off the bubble. Many were disappointed at how we finished and had doubts about him as HC.
At the end of the season, of course people cared, they didn't know the tourney wasn't going to happen. But once it didn't, the season is like a ne'er happened...no one cares.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

At the end of the season, of course people cared, they didn't know the tourney wasn't going to happen. But once it didn't, the season is like a ne'er happened...no one cares.
Really, I remember so many posts and discussions after that season about how the team choked down the stretch and all the blame that Cox got that we would not have made the NCAAT.

It was even debated over a year later.

Obviously a major portion of our fan base cared.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Fair enough, but they played 3 probable nccat teams that year during the regular season...probable 1 seed Kansas on a neutral court, an ot loss...probable 8 or 9 seed Colorado another ot loss at a neutral site...and probable 12 seed VCU a win.

Based upon that, it is possible that they don't make it past the round of 32. We will never know. Nobody ever looks at the other side of the coin, everybody always talks about them going to the Elite 8, Final 4, or title game.

The nccat being canceled allows the prospect of greatness for that team to live on unblemished. Had the ncaat been played, and they lost in the round of 32, the view of that team would have been greatly negatively impacted.
DFF, I think you should consider entering the fan portal. :D
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Haha, I'm just salty over this past season, I never wanted Grant to be the coach, he's 1 for 5 making the ncaat now at UD, and Archie taking the RI job just pours salt on the wound.

How about we trade coaches? Lol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Haha, I'm just salty over this past season, I never wanted Grant to be the coach, he's 1 for 5 making the ncaat now at UD, and Archie taking the RI job just pours salt on the wound.

How about we trade coaches? Lol
I know the Dayton fans will always have a high regard for Archie.

But I wouldn't exactly call Anthony Grant chopped liver either.

He was AP National COY (2020), and is 62-26 (A10) at Dayton.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fair enough, but they played 3 probable nccat teams that year during the regular season...probable 1 seed Kansas on a neutral court, an ot loss...probable 8 or 9 seed Colorado another ot loss at a neutral site...and probable 11 seed Richmond, a road win...also probable next four out RI, a home win and an away win.

How many 1 seeds have lost in round 2? I don't know the numbers and too busy to look it up, but it's not super uncommon (the most famous in this part of town is 1998 URI over #1 overall seed Kansas. The NCAA tourney is about matchups. Have the wrong match up and a 1 seed can be upset in any round. UNC over Baylor this year (despite ref ball). Dayton gets favorable matchups and they are likely to go far. The wrong ones and they are likely to bow out early. It's the same for all 1 seeds. The difference is Dayton is rarely seeded that high so it would have been much more disappointing. IIRC, San Diego St was also going to be a 2 or 3 seed that year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
How many 1 seeds have lost in round 2? I don't know the numbers and too busy to look it up, but it's not super uncommon (the most famous in this part of town is 1998 URI over #1 overall seed Kansas. The NCAA tourney is about matchups. Have the wrong match up and a 1 seed can be upset in any round. UNC over Baylor this year (despite ref ball). Dayton gets favorable matchups and they are likely to go far. The wrong ones and they are likely to bow out early. It's the same for all 1 seeds. The difference is Dayton is rarely seeded that high so it would have been much more disappointing. IIRC, San Diego St was also going to be a 2 or 3 seed that year.
I have no idea how often a 1 seed loses in the 2nd round.

Several years ago I remember that 1 seed Villanova lost in the round of 32 to Notre Dame I think it was, I was in a hotel room watching the end of that upset, I was traveling watching the ncaat in person that year...in high school at UD Arena I saw in person 1 seed Kansas coached by Roy Williams lose in the round of 32 to some team from Texas I think it was.

Of course Xavier was a 1 seed about 5 years ago, and they lost in the round of 32 to Nevada. Huge upset that was.

Maybe I will look this up.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Apparently 1 seeds losing in the round of 32 happens much more often than I thought: it happens once every other year.

So 1/8 every 2 years...1/8 is 12.5%...so there is a 6.25% chance of this happening every year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Didn’t know where to put this but this would be a very smart idea if it comes to fruition and most certainly would benefit the A10/URI.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -february/
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just came to post that same article. In theory it definitely sounds intriguing and should be a big boost to conferences like ours.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think it would be great. It would force P5 teams to play non con games they never would play.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I think it would be great. It would force P5 teams to play non con games they never would play.
I think I read that the P5 teams and the Big East teams were not going to be involved in these games.
Last edited by reckless jake 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

LOVE this proposal. Doubt it'll ever happen, but ... 🙏
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I think it would be great. It would force P5 teams to play non con games they never would play.
I think I read that the P5 teams and the Big East teams were not going to be involved in these games.
Then it's a feckin joke.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The article states that 22 of the 32 conferences are part of this. It specifically states the P5 and BE won't be involved. This would mean there are four other leagues not participating. It mentions the A-10 along with the AAC, MWC, WWC with an IF regarding participation. These four could very well be the others not on board and would basically mean the top ten leagues are not involved.

I would rather the A-10 do something with just the AAC, MWC, and WWC as they are pretty much the leagues that have the highest odds of at large contenders. The P5 and Big East already have multiple challenges versus one another and do not want to engage other leagues in scheduling arrangements. The next gang of four should work something out that would be mutually beneficial to them.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm totally against it then.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

This is basically a more extensive version of bracket busters. It’s a great idea, not sure why anyone would hate on the idea. I’d also be curious as to how they organize the matchups.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago This is basically a more extensive version of bracket busters. It’s a great idea, not sure why anyone would hate on the idea. I’d also be curious as to how they organize the matchups.
All for it as long as the A10 is not involved.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Football will ultimately throw the big east to the curb.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago This is basically a more extensive version of bracket busters. It’s a great idea, not sure why anyone would hate on the idea. I’d also be curious as to how they organize the matchups.
Wrong attitude to have here blue...we aren't operating from a position of strength. This is basically the entire non Power schools coming together to schedule games with the top schools in each league to combat the difficulty in getting fair resume building games with P5s. We could pick up games against a Belmont, Cincinnati, Murray State, etc. Plenty of strong resume games to be had if it is orchestrated right. I would imagine we would fall into a grouping with similar leveled mid majors like AAC, WCC, MWC, etc. If the goal is NCAA tourney then you should be applauding things like this which help us get better games.
8 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Wrong attitude to have here blue...we aren't operating from a position of strength. This is basically the entire non Power schools coming together to schedule games with the top schools in each league to combat the difficulty in getting fair resume building games with P5s. We could pick up games against a Belmont, Cincinnati, Murray State, etc. Plenty of strong resume games to be had if it is orchestrated right. I would imagine we would fall into a grouping with similar leveled mid majors like AAC, WCC, MWC, etc. If the goal is NCAA tourney then you should be applauding things like this which help us get better games.
Yep, I am on-board, all we have left.
The P6 schools have their own agenda.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me a home and road game against the best AAC MVC MW and WCC teams in February over a home game against GW and a road game against St Joes.

No brainer. No questions asked.

How can anyone here hate this idea?

Oh I know, because people on this board hate everything.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, let’s not act like mid majors got shafted in this years tournament.

They did not whatsoever.

But yes, this proposal will only help mid major resumes.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The non Power 5 schools coming together? Cincinnati? Didn't they go Big 12? I guess we could play a game against Gonzaga.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The non Power 5 schools coming together? Cincinnati? Didn't they go Big 12? I guess we could play a game against Gonzaga.
Fine replace Cincinnati with Wichita State, the point still remains. We aren't operating from a place of leverage or strength. Scheduling will always be difficult. Innovate or die. I guess in your mind we should insist on home and homes with P5s and if they turn us down (which they will) we should do what? Protest the season? MTEs, neutral site games, true road games and ideas like this are how we build a resume. Unfortunately Michigan and Kentucky aren't pounding down the door to come to Kingston.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Fine replace Cincinnati with Wichita State, the point still remains. We aren't operating from a place of leverage or strength. Scheduling will always be difficult. Innovate or die. I guess in your mind we should insist on home and homes with P5s and if they turn us down (which they will) we should do what? Protest the season? MTEs, neutral site games, true road games and ideas like this are how we build a resume. Unfortunately Michigan and Kentucky aren't pounding down the door to come to Kingston.
Act like a big conference or be stepped over.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Act like it how?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

^^^^^ good question. I'm interested in their response
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

While I would prefer a more equitable scheduling opportunity in which the P5 or 6 had an incentive to go on the road, this is the best thing available. I'd love the A10 to have a "challenge" with the ACC or Big 12 or any of the P5 or 6, but that's not reality. Maybe a good challenge with AAC, MW, WCC and a few others is what we need to help our resumes.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Also, let’s not act like mid majors got shafted in this years tournament.

They did not whatsoever.

15, you probably know my feelings about this.

I just don't feel any team that doesn't have a winning record in their conference does not deserve an at-large bid.
If they can't prove themselves in their own conference than tough, the P6 schools get all the hype anyway.
These programs have all the advantages with media coverage and revenue.

I think the only way Indiana deserved a bid was by winning the B10T.

The B10 had 9 schools (3 more than anyone else) once again in the "Dance" and not one advanced past the Sweet 16.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Make NCAA tourney open to all 300ish teams, play games until the USFL starts, open the season in September, although players to transfer portal and play immediately before January 1, any other crazy shit I can add here….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Also, let’s not act like mid majors got shafted in this years tournament.

They did not whatsoever.

15, you probably know my feelings about this.

I just don't feel any team that doesn't have a winning record in their conference does not deserve an at-large bid.
If they can't prove themselves in their own conference than tough, the P6 schools get all the hype anyway.
These programs have all the advantages with media coverage and revenue.

I think the only way Indiana deserved a bid was by winning the B10T.

The B10 had 9 schools (3 more than anyone else) once again in the "Dance" and not one advanced past the Sweet 16.
I 100% agree here - if you can't win half your conference games, why do you deserve a bid over a team that was lights out in a smaller conference that happened to lose in their conf championship game? Or the 3rd team from the A10 for example? You could make a clear argument that Dayton deserved a bid over both Indiana and Rutgers.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Act like a big conference or be stepped over.
That's a cute line and all, but at some point you have to live in reality.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The fact that there are college basketball supporters out there that see how the P5’s continue to slant the system to their own advantage and those supporters are creatively looking for ways to counter the P5’s, is a good thing for college basketball, IMHO.

That is the most important thing I take from this article. Conferences and college basketball supporters are being proactive. This schedule idea may not be perfect or a finsished work yet but it’s a start.

Once they have a finished scheduling product, I would think there would be networks and sponsors interested. That interest could result in more money for the conferences and schools involved, which would be an added benefit.

However, my hesitation with this scheduling idea is, could this somehow play into the hands of the P5’s forming a two tiered system in basketball like what happened in football?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How many teams are realistically out there that will be strong enough to help enhance the NCAA resume of a team with a game versus them? We are talking about potentially 10-20 teams from a pool of some 250+ from a possible 22 leagues. Most all the teams that would actually help are in the P5 and BE and they will not be participating.

If the A-10 were to be a part of this, most of its teams would be playing much lower rated opponents from other conferences with half the games on the road.
0 x