2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The NBE just became weaker from a coaching standpoint. The A10, conversely, has gained significant ground on the NBE in the coaching ranks with recent coaching hires plus Jay Wright retiring. Big coaching loss for the NBE. Can’t parse it any other way, imho. And, it will take an awful lot of work for Neptune to attempt to duplicate what Jay Wright has accomplished at Villanova.

Hopefully, the A10 can make gains in season on the court going forward to close the gap some between the two conferences. I also hope the A10 Commissioner sees the opportunity and rally’s the programs to push and take advantage.

Yes, it’s a sizable gap between the two conferences but I think, with recent developments, the A10 can make gains on the NBE over the next few years.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ok, so who transfers from Nova now?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

And Fordham ? Had a 4 and 3 starfrosh coming in
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow very shocking news about Jay Wright

What you guys think of them going for Neptune ?? Does he really deserve that job ??
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Wow very shocking news about Jay Wright

What you guys think of them going for Neptune ?? Does he really deserve that job ??
Wasn't Neptune Wright's right-hand man at Nova before going to Fordham? (Pun intended)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes for about a decade.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….wonder if he would be looking at TV job…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago The NBE just became weaker from a coaching standpoint. The A10, conversely, has gained significant ground on the NBE in the coaching ranks with recent coaching hires plus Jay Wright retiring. Big coaching loss for the NBE. Can’t parse it any other way, imho. And, it will take an awful lot of work for Neptune to attempt to duplicate what Jay Wright has accomplished at Villanova.

Hopefully, the A10 can make gains in season on the court going forward to close the gap some between the two conferences. I also hope the A10 Commissioner sees the opportunity and rally’s the programs to push and take advantage.

Yes, it’s a sizable gap between the two conferences but I think, with recent developments, the A10 can make gains on the NBE over the next few years.
There are a few conferences the A10 needs to worry about catching up to before they can think about the Big East. Wright is a big loss, but Neptune was crucial to a lot of things they did there. Holloway and Sean Miller are good additions, not sure about Matta.

As for Jay Wright, good for him! He’s accomplished everything, and no job (even the very well compensated ones) should take everything from you before you decide to step away. A lot of people are bringing up the changes in the game and wondering if that led him to retire. Maybe, he liked to build his teams a certain way, and the off-season is becoming non-existent in college hoops. I also wonder how many coaches are done with their colleagues (Self, S. Miller, Penny, etc.) going above and beyond what is considered ok and nothing coming from the investigations. It’s lazy to just say everyone cheats, get over it. Wright will be great on tv, and that schedule will allow for plenty of time to get away to his Jersey shore house and find some balance in his schedule. I’m jealous!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Happy for Coach Wright! He will enjoy his family knowing he's done it all in his profession at the highest level, and in the most honorable way.

Also glad to see one less potential septuagenarian in a position of power (in basketball and overall). Walking away at 60! What a concept!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Let’s see how he does about as tough a shoes to fill this Villanova job
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Have to think Carmen Maciariello and Jared Grasso will probably be finalists for the Fordham HC job.
It will be interesting to see if Grasso returns to Fordham, after just getting 7 transfers to commit to Bryant.

I also wouldn't rule out Kimani Young getting a look.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Have to think Carmen Maciariello and Jared Grasso will probably be finalists for the Fordham HC job.
It will be interesting to see if Grasso returns to Fordham, after just getting 7 transfers to commit to Bryant.

I can’t see why Grasso would go to Fordham. Neptune went to Fordham from an Assistant Coach position and use Fordham as a stepping stone.
Grasso can play this coming season into much better opportunities next spring than Fordham.
Fordham would be a small stepping stone for already Head Coach Grasso, and I’m thinking it might even be a step down from where he is.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Have to think Carmen Maciariello and Jared Grasso will probably be finalists for the Fordham HC job.

Fordham is going with Keith Urgo their Associate Head Coach to replace Neptune. Many media members around college bball was mentioning he was a serious candidate to take over. Several players are calling for Keith to be the replacement publicly. One of the players posted on twitter about it in Chuba Ohams.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I can’t see why Grasso would go to Girdham. Neptune went to Fordham from an Assistant Coach position.
Grasso can play this coming season into much better opportunities next spring than Fordham.
True Ramster, but he was a finalist when Neptune got hired.
Also he is familiar there and will be back in NYC.
Maybe he has the ego to think he can make a difference.

Don't know just throwing it out there.
But yeah I can see him waiting it out for a better opportunity.

I think it could also be a landing spot for Carmen (Siena).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Young wasn't interested in UMass. He's not going to Fordham.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

Fordham is going with Keith Urgo their Associate Head Coach to replace Neptune. Many media members around college bball was mentioning he was a serious candidate to take over. Several players are calling for Keith to be the replacement publicly. One of the players posted on twitter about it in Chuba Ohams.
Probably but let's see.

"With the news of Neptune’s departure, Fordham announced its coaching search will begin immediately with associate head coach Keith Urgo taking over on an interim basis."

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/kyle-nept ... villanova/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I can’t see why Grasso would go to Girdham. Neptune went to Fordham from an Assistant Coach position.

Grasso just sighed a new contract with Bryant that he said he was very happy with, Bryant announced building a new Basketball Arena, Bryant just had success in winning their conference and Grasso just had big success in this year’s transfer market with Bryant ranking #3 Nationally as per evanmiya.com.
A lot of forward momentum since Neptune got the Fordham job. If Grasso parlays this years Transfer Market moves into a successful season he could be looking at much bigger fish to fry than Fordham.
E3A16F41-5F92-4699-8383-BF2675805B16.jpeg
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Young wasn't interested in UMass. He's not going to Fordham.
I thought the UMass job fell through because of Young's prior felony conviction.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Young wasn't interested in UMass. He's not going to Fordham.
I thought the UMass job fell through because of Young's prior felony conviction.
No, that’s what the Twitter guy who initially said that it was a done deal claimed because he looked like a fool and was trying to save face. That guy was consistently wrong but highly confident, a dangerous combination,
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
No, that’s what the Twitter guy who initially said that it was a done deal claimed because he looked like a fool and was trying to save face. That guy was consistently wrong but highly confident, a dangerous combination,
Okay thanks

Kimani Young is deserving of a decent HC position in the very near future.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely can see Kimani getting a head job in the next coaching cycle
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Isn’t Grasso getting paid a little under $400k and Neptune getting about 1M. Who knows how Grasso interprets this.

Years ago, I remember Grasso actively campaigning for the head coaches job when he was an assistant. If I remember correctly, he was writing letters to the editor campaigning for Grasso to be the new head coach. (under fake names).
alumni remember this Grasso type move.

Many Fordham alumni remember this.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Isn’t Grasso getting paid a little under $400k and Neptune getting about 1M. Who knows how Grasso interprets this.

Years ago, I remember Grasso actively campaigning for the head coaches job when he was an assistant. If I remember correctly, he was writing letters to the editor campaigning for Grasso to be the new head coach. (under fake names).
alumni remember this Grasso type move.

Many Fordham alumni remember this.
That might be the most Grasso move I have ever read.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
What an absolute kick in the nuts it would be to all those great transfers Bryant now has.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if Grasso leaves, can Walker transfer back here???
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, if Grasso leaves, can Walker transfer back here???
I was just thinking that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

College basketball is insane.
2 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Grasso just sighed a new contract with Bryant that he said he was very happy with, Bryant announced building a new Basketball Arena, Bryant just had success in winning their conference and Grasso just had big success in this year’s transfer market with Bryant ranking #3 Nationally as per evanmiya.com.
A lot of forward momentum since Neptune got the Fordham job. If Grasso parlays this years Transfer Market moves into a successful season he could be looking at much bigger fish to fry than Fordham.

See Ramster, if Grasso had no interest he wouldn't be interviewing for the job.

Never underestimate the power of $, especially when it comes to Grasso.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hmm Grasso 5 years as a Fordham assistant so would think he has a great shot this time around , he definitely can recruit
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can’t see it, Grasso wanting more money I agree for his ego, but his path to more money is to wait til the end of next year.

Then again, maybe he takes his New Bryant transfers with him to Fordham. That would be a hoot.

Grasso is from Syosset NY so maybe he desires that geographical area. Pitino, Grasso and Kellogg all coaching in the same vicinity - quite the trio.

Grasso is king of the transfer market this year so maybe he parlays that now and hits the transfer market heavy now??

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Can’t see it, Grasso wanting more money I agree for his ego, but his path to more money is to wait til the end of next year.

Then again, maybe he takes his New Bryant transfers with him to Fordham. That would be a hoot.

Grasso is from Syosset NY so maybe he desires that geographical area. Pitino, Grasso and Kellogg all coaching in the same vicinity - quite the trio.

Grasso is king of the transfer market this year so maybe he parlays that now and hits the transfer market heavy now??

If he does end up with the Fordham gig, it will be interesting to see what happens to all the transfers,
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I bet a bunch follow him To Fordham. Hope he gets the Fordham job just to see the roster movement.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
What an absolute kick in the nuts it would be to all those great transfers Bryant now has.
Kids that have decided to hitch their wagon to a guy like Grasso in the transfer market:
Attachments
39E435D5-446F-40CA-930C-E07575E363BB.jpeg
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Think this is wise he already has a top 5 transfer class coming in so if they do well as expected he may get a better job than Fordham
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So he didn’t get offered the job then?
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

He is killing it. Why ruin it by going to Fordham.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Roz wrote: 2 years ago He is killing it. Why ruin it by going to Fordham.
Exactly. Why would he take a job at a garbage basketball program where everyone will be transferring out when he has another tourney team on his hands that he could parlay into a big job and fat paycheck
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Exactly. Why would he take a job at a garbage basketball program where everyone will be transferring out when he has another tourney team on his hands that he could parlay into a big job and fat paycheck
Plus....would just like to see Bryant do well this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Lots of solid reasons given yet…………Grasso still interviewed for it. Maybe just practicing his interviewing skills?

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wild ... am-hc-job/
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think it's very smart to interview. He can remind Bryant that other programs want him when he discusses his future with their program. As I said last year this guy can flat-out recruit. I knew he was good but I didn't know he was this good. I can't believe who he's landing at Bryant.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Lots of solid reasons given yet…………Grasso still interviewed for it. Maybe just practicing his interviewing skills?

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wild ... am-hc-job/
Or he is leveraging this for even a larger pay day from Bryant.
You want to keep me, this is what it will cost.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On April 5th Grasso signed a new contract through 2026-2027. Less than a month ago and he’s interviewing for the Fordham job.

What does that say to his AD, his school President, his players? What does it say to all the guys who just transferred to Bryant?

Seems odd to me but then this seems to be where college basketball is headed. No loyalty whatsoever.

“I’d like to thank our Director of Athletics Bill Smith, President Ross Gittell and Chairman of the Board of Trustees David Beirne for their confidence in me and the future of our program,” Grasso said. “I have been blessed to work with some amazing student-athletes and unbelievably committed staff. Without them and their tireless work I would not be in this position. With the challenging move to the America East Conference, and a new state-of-the-art arena on the horizon, it is an exciting time for Bryant University and the Bulldog men’s basketball program. My family and I could not be more excited for the future in Smithfield.

“Unless a job like Duke, UCLA, Kansas or Fordham opens up”

https://www.abc6.com/bryant-announces-c ... 2026-2027/
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Grasso served as the interim HC at Fordham before moving on an assistant spot at Iona. I remember them struggling, but they were fairly young. He was a big part of recruiting a pretty high level guard who ended up transferring to USC named Jio Fontan among other NYC and Jersey high schoolers.
Last edited by Bos8 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I believe you make a good point. I would imagine that his thought process is that he is from the NYC metro area. He would most certainly feel comfortable recruiting that area as he brought in talented St. Anthony's guys like Jio Fontan and Chris Gaston when he was there. Although the landscape is different with many of NYC's talented high schoolers leaving the city to play, I would assume he still knows the area and could put together a strong staff. Fordham does have some rare upward momentum with the success they had last year. It also would have been possible that a few of those transfers would have followed him to Fordham.

With that said, many of the negatives at Fordham appear to outweigh the positives. Playing in a HS gym, with limited administrative support, competing against all NYC has to offer to bring in a crowd. Only twice has Fordham finished above 500 in A-10 conference play (And they happened back to back in 05-06 and 06-07). The A-10 seems to have more schools committing to supporting their programs and great coaches joining the conference.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Seems odd to me but then this seems to be where college basketball is headed. No loyalty whatsoever.
Where its headed? Coaches leaving for more money is like the one constant of college basketball.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wait Fordham fired another coach? Lol

EDIT

Ohhhh he's going to Villanova 😳
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Seems odd to me but then this seems to be where college basketball is headed. No loyalty whatsoever.
Where its headed? Coaches leaving for more money is like the one constant of college basketball.
So Greenwell, you don’t think it’s odd for a guy to sign an extension On April 5th, AFTER the season is over, and interviews for another job? Really? You think that’s normal?
How does the Bryant AD feel? How does the Bryant president feel? how do the Bryant alumni feel? Bryant Students?

Less than a month after signing an extension, raving about how he loves Bryant, it’s AD, it’s new conference, it’s new arena announcement, his new transfers into his program.

For interviewing Fordham?

57 D1 Head Coach positions changed hands this year, and counting out of 350. Huge number based on the past.

https://www.cbssports.com/college
basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-changes-2022-tracker-carousel-jay-wright-retirement-adds-to-huge-year-of-change/amp/

Now not just Coaches going for the money but players, no sit-out year required anymore, players transferring in droves almost up to 1500 this year in D1 Only portal, players comparing NIL opportunities among schools.

You now have NIL$$$ associated with transfers in listings. Players, coaches, families, friends can see the NIL and compare, want more.

Here it is almost May when recruiting was wrapped up in the past and many teams have 4,5,6,7 and even more openings to transfers.

Great that players can get paid and Coaches can make fortunes.

But fan attendance at NCAA College Basketball games will continue its downward trend and level of interest.

2219FCCF-DFDF-4568-9EA5-9757A25D92EF.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x