The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago It can get frustrating but URI was not interested in the players that went to Bryant, and UMass is grabbing who they can. Archie is being patient so he ends up with the best team possible. Let's see how it works out.
Archie did mention he wasn’t taking any shortcuts. That’s why I was doubtful he would take on Tre Mitchell and his baggage
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago It can get frustrating but URI was not interested in the players that went to Bryant, and UMass is grabbing who they can. Archie is being patient so he ends up with the best team possible. Let's see how it works out.
Any new insight or hints for who’s they’ve been talking with
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This staff, particularly Kenny Johnson, does stealth recruiting with very few leaks. Look at the one player signed so far: it happened so quick there wasn't even a thread on this board. Trust me, the coaches are working hard. Next 2 weeks should be interesting.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago This staff, particularly Kenny Johnson, does stealth recruiting with very few leaks. Look at the one player signed so far: it happened so quick there wasn't even a thread on this board. Trust me, the coaches are working hard. Next 2 weeks should be interesting.
Loved that there was no thread, no rumors, just one day announced. And he is likely a starter on next years team.

Miller said "we would be good when we are good". He said he would be adding to the roster through September.

Love the stealth recruiting methodology, especially in the now prominent Transfer Market. Recruiting is going on even before the names are entered into the Portal.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago This staff, particularly Kenny Johnson, does stealth recruiting with very few leaks. Look at the one player signed so far: it happened so quick there wasn't even a thread on this board. Trust me, the coaches are working hard. Next 2 weeks should be interesting.
Maybe Arch will announce the new players like he did his staff, en masse. 😀
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A lot of the recruiting talk is generated by the players. They let media guys know, and they tweet it out. Coaches can have preferences for how they go about things, but they can’t control it all, unless they only recruit quiet guys, I guess. When it comes to recruiting events the same media guys tweet out which coaches they see and make the links to specific players. No offense to Cox and company, but tweeting about them the last four years wasn’t going to get a lot of attention. That will change with Archie and company. People here see other guys committing and are anxious for news, for something to talk about. That’s a good thing.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Maybe Arch will announce the new players like he did his staff, en masse. 😀
Exactly. Dam break coming
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

DAM BREAK COMETH !
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In Archie we trust.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago A lot of the recruiting talk is generated by the players. They let media guys know, and they tweet it out. Coaches can have preferences for how they go about things, but they can’t control it all, unless they only recruit quiet guys, I guess. When it comes to recruiting events the same media guys tweet out which coaches they see and make the links to specific players. No offense to Cox and company, but tweeting about them the last four years wasn’t going to get a lot of attention. That will change with Archie and company. People here see other guys committing and are anxious for news, for something to talk about. That’s a good thing.
yes,

and then you have the extremes who do this........ :roll: :roll:

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
· Apr 19
WSU transfer Efe Abogidi tells me that he's considering following programs:

Texas
Texas A&M
Zona
UF
UCF
UW
OU
Gonzaga
Miss St
Creighton
UK
VT
UH
GT
Marq
Wake
S Carolina
MD
Memphis
Oregon
Oregon St
PSU
Ole Miss
SF
K St
Nevada
Iowa
ISU
Missouri
Bama St
Xavier
WVU
LSU
LMU
LT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The author losses some credibility when he has Reeves in PC’s returning backcourt. Reeves announced he was going pro and signed with an agent two weeks ago.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If he pulls out three more like he did Freeman, they ought to print new T-shirts:

Archie Miller

Stealthy A.F.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I trust in Archie and believe he can build a TEAM at URI that can win the A10 championship. I think Iggy has it about right. The Yahoos who expect immediate success are clueless and are hurting the program by setting unrealistic expectations. We need players who are 100% team first.

We don't need a repeat of doing what caused Cox to fail who should have built from day one the program around Dowtin, Walker, TMartin and Toppin, and not Harris and Russell - two selfish losers. As with the twins leaving, you need to sacrifice the won-lost record for the next season to build a team for the future. URI may take on some short-term ballast to field a team next year while developing the core of the team for the future.

We need to enjoy the ride to building a great team,
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Arch did not come here to not make the tourney.

-Unrealistic expectation-setting clueless Yahoo
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I trust in Archie and believe he can build a TEAM at URI that can win the A10 championship. I think Iggy has it about right. The Yahoos who expect immediate success are clueless and are hurting the program by setting unrealistic expectations. We need players who are 100% team first.

We don't need a repeat of doing what caused Cox to fail who should have built from day one the program around Dowtin, Walker, TMartin and Toppin, and not Harris and Russell - two selfish losers. As with the twins leaving, you need to sacrifice the won-lost record for the next season to build a team for the future. URI may take on some short-term ballast to field a team next year while developing the core of the team for the future.

The Yahoos who expect immediate success are clueless and are hurting the program by setting unrealistic expectations.

How are they hurting the program? Can you give examples of how they are hurting the program? If they know how their actions hurt it they might temper their expectations but they need to understand how this works.

By the same token, using your logic, those who don’t expect immediate expectations are not YAHOOS so they are helping the program. How so? Specifically how does this work?
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Waldorf 72, calling Harris and Russel selfish losers is really lame. Especially in the case of Harris, who took more abuse from this part of our fan base than the coyote took from the cuckoo. Don't pile bad coaching and poor results on the kids. It's one thing to be a curmudgeon, it's quite another to be a jerk. Don't be a jerk. Okay?
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago Waldorf 72, calling Harris and Russel selfish losers is really lame. Especially in the case of Harris, who took more abuse from this part of our fan base than the coyote took from the cuckoo. Don't pile bad coaching and poor results on the kids. It's one thing to be a curmudgeon, it's quite another to be a jerk. Don't be a jerk. Okay?
Cox knew Harris as a 9th grader. He recruited Harris for 4 years. He also recruited Fatts hard to stay after Dan announced he was leaving. One of the reasons it was easy to give Cox the HC job was the retention of Fatts and the recruiting class of Harris,Martin, Toppin & Tate. Harris was the highest ranked out of that class. 72’s comment about Fatts and Harris makes absolutely no sense. Add it to the list with most of his other posts.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago Waldorf 72, calling Harris and Russel selfish losers is really lame. Especially in the case of Harris, who took more abuse from this part of our fan base than the coyote took from the cuckoo. Don't pile bad coaching and poor results on the kids. It's one thing to be a curmudgeon, it's quite another to be a jerk. Don't be a jerk. Okay?
Cox knew Harris as a 9th grader. He recruited Harris for 4 years. He also recruited Fatts hard to stay after Dan announced he was leaving. One of the reasons it was easy to give Cox the HC job was the retention of Fatts and the recruiting class of Harris,Martin, Toppin & Tate. Harris was the highest ranked out of that class. 72’s comment about Fatts and Harris makes absolutely no sense. Add it to the list with most of his other posts.
Toppin wasn't part of that class (later), but yeah understand your point about the recruits.

More important keeping Jeff, Cyril, and an emerging Fatts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I trust in Archie and believe he can build a TEAM at URI that can win the A10 championship. I think Iggy has it about right. The Yahoos who expect immediate success are clueless and are hurting the program by setting unrealistic expectations. We need players who are 100% team first.

The Yahoos who expect immediate success are clueless and are hurting the program by setting unrealistic expectations.

How are they hurting the program? Can you give examples of how they are hurting the program? If they know how their actions hurt it they might temper their expectations but they need to understand how this works.

By the same token, using your logic, those who don’t expect immediate expectations are not YAHOOS so they are helping the program. How do? Specifically how does this work?
Ramster, this made me laugh out loud. Not sure if it was supposed to or not, but it did. Thanks for that. My expectation is not a 'demand' expectation, it's more 'inevitability'. Certain things, you just know are going to happen...gets warmer in the summer, Kyrie will make a shot tonight that makes you mutter under breath how you really feel about the guy, Devers rakes, Archie goes to the tournament. Get your tix before the dam break...
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Hitching your future to Fatts or Harris or the twins would be suicidal for any coach. Archie saw it; Cox didn't. If I was a young player with talent, I wouldn't want to play for a team where the coach treated any of these players or allowed them to anoint themselves as the team leaders. Cox needed to rebuild after Dan left just as Archie has to rebuild today.

Next year we need to develop young players to play team basketball even if it means not playing upper classmen who could get us a few more wins for a mediocre season. The immediate goal is to recruit talented young players, develop them and mold them into a team. You don't get that with high expectations of immediate success.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Hitching your future to Fatts or Harris or the twins would be suicidal for any coach. Archie saw it; Cox didn't. If I was a young player with talent, I wouldn't want to play for a team where the coach treated any of these players or allowed them to anoint themselves as the team leaders. Cox needed to rebuild after Dan left just as Archie has to rebuild today.

Next year we need to develop young players to play team basketball even if it means not playing upper classmen who could get us a few more wins for a mediocre season. The immediate goal is to recruit talented young players, develop them and mold them into a team. You don't get that with high expectations of immediate success.
Yeah, Cox didn’t have the correct vision …and to think there was someone that actually wanted to extend him.
😁😁
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Hitching your future to Fatts or Harris or the twins would be suicidal for any coach. Archie saw it; Cox didn't. If I was a young player with talent, I wouldn't want to play for a team where the coach treated any of these players or allowed them to anoint themselves as the team leaders. Cox needed to rebuild after Dan left just as Archie has to rebuild today.

You say so many stupid things. “Cox needed to rebuild after Dan left just as Archie has to rebuild today.” That is high on your list.
The team Cox took over had just played in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.
They won the A10 Regular Season Championship. They were 26-8 (15-3 in A10).
They had three key players returning from that Tournament team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts.
They had the highest rated recruiting class coming in (if not of all time definitely of recent history).
Would Dan had to rebuild if he stayed?

Archie takes over from a team that went 15-16 (5-12 in A10) and 3-12 in their last 15 games.
He has one starter returning and no incoming Fr class.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

"Incoming freshman classes" are like apple carts. No one uses them anymore.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

You say so many stupid things. “Cox needed to rebuild after Dan left just as Archie has to rebuild today.” That is high on your list.
The team Cox took over had just played in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.
They won the A10 Regular Season Championship. They were 26-8 (15-3 in A10).
They had three key players returning from that Tournament team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts.
They had the highest rated recruiting class coming in (if not of all time definitely of recent history).
Would Dan had to rebuild if he stayed?

Archie takes over from a team that went 15-16 (5-12 in A10) and 3-12 in their last 15 games.
He has one starter returning and no incoming Fr class.
72 is more right on the rebuild for Cox though - he had 3 starting pieces to the rebuild (which is a head start for sure) but that team nothing after those 3 players. It was a rebuild.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

er, I hate to be the David Cox apologist here, but the team had just lost three starters who carried that NCAA team and were as good as any players we have ever had here. It wasn't like the cupboard was bare, but the cupboard was minus more than half the ingredients it had before.

It had Jeff and Cyril. Fatts was pretty much a 6th man on that NCAA team. And with Tyrese coming in to play the wing, they had a chance to be good, but not like the team the year before. When people moved to hire David Cox, it wasn't because he was going to keep a Championship level team intact, it was because the fear was you would lose Tyrese and a couple of other recruits, lose Fatts, and only have Jeff and Cyril and a complete rebuild. Whether that was sound logic, hindsight being 20/20, is open for debate, but that was the argument.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago "Incoming freshman classes" are like apple carts. No one uses them anymore.
Tell that to VCU, they have a couple of 4* recruits for 2022.

Also Dayton who had their top recruiting class ever in 2021 and two of them are impact starters.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

jcru wrote: 2 years ago er, I hate to be the David Cox apologist here, but the team had just lost three starters who carried that NCAA team and were as good as any players we have ever had here. It wasn't like the cupboard was bare, but the cupboard was minus more than half the ingredients it had before.

It had Jeff and Cyril. Fatts was pretty much a 6th man on that NCAA team. And with Tyrese coming in to play the wing, they had a chance to be good, but not like the team the year before. When people moved to hire David Cox, it wasn't because he was going to keep a Championship level team intact, it was because the fear was you would lose Tyrese and a couple of other recruits, lose Fatts, and only have Jeff and Cyril and a complete rebuild. Whether that was sound logic, hindsight being 20/20, is open for debate, but that was the argument.
I have to say, you are a smart man.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thanks. Likewise, Sir.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Define a rebuild. It isn’t a rebuild every time a mid major makes the Tournament and then doesn’t make it the next year.
It’s also not a rebuild each year a team loses 3 of its top 6 players.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The point of my response to 72 was to compare what Cox was left to what Archie was left is asinine.
Would anyone be unhappy if Archie had Jeff, Cyril & Fatts for next year to add to incoming transfers.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Corey Floyd Jr. committed to Providence per his twitter.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago The point of my response to 72 was to compare what Cox was left to what Archie was left is asinine.
Would anyone be unhappy if Archie had Jeff, Cyril & Fatts for next year to add to incoming transfers.
Not at all in terms of having those three players. All three are far and away better than anything Archie has to work with from last years team. Getting Freeman makes him the best player on the team right away. I think if we are being fair it will take Archie a couple years to get the players he wants for his system. The talent that we have on this team right now isn’t even close to an NCAA team right now. Archie will get it turned around and the commitment is here from the school, but to me it would be a miracle to make the tourney with this group. Of course that could all change if he lands some of these players and the returning players become bench players or players that can contribute.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reckless jake wrote: 2 years ago Corey Floyd Jr. committed to Providence per his twitter.
Yes
Cooley really doing well in the portal.

0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago The point of my response to 72 was to compare what Cox was left to what Archie was left is asinine.
No question that Archie has more of a rebuild if we are comparing.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yuri Collins back to St Louis.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Martin gets another one in the portal.

0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
No question that Archie has more of a rebuild if we are comparing.
Luckily Archie is up to the job.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I wonder what happened with Yuri Collins. From all the talk, it seemed like Tennessee had already set up his locker and assigned him a number.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Funny thing is Yuri let SLU know he was going to Tennessee by text. Joke on SLU message board is did he also text his return?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Cooley absolutely crushing the portal. I didn’t think he could equal last year’s success. It looks like he may have surpassed it.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Cooley absolutely crushing the portal. I didn’t think he could equal last year’s success. It looks like he may have surpassed it.
Hopkins might turn out to be a great addition for pc, but why is it that every time anyone is signed off the portal the coach is deemed to be crushing it?
I know he was highly rated as a prep and we know how rankings can sometimes work, but here is a guy that couldn't get on the floor for Kentucky and played significantly less than Jacob Toppin at the same position. Perhaps he was over recruited which is standard for programs like Kentucky.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Hopkins might turn out to be a great addition for pc, but why is it that every time anyone is signed off the portal the coach is deemed to be crushing it?
I know he was highly rated as a prep and we know how rankings can sometimes work, but here is a guy that couldn't get on the floor for Kentucky and played significantly less than Jacob Toppin at the same position. Perhaps he was over recruited which is standard for programs like Kentucky.

Cooley has brought in 5 transfers who either were highly productive in college, highly ranked coming out of high school, or both.

That is why people are saying he’s crushing the portal.

Pretty easy to figure out.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes he seems to be doing quite well definitely piggybacking off their Sweet 16 and coach of the year , kids seem to want to play for him
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Because he has signed five guys that were top 100 recruits coming out of high school. That is the definition of crushing it.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

I would put more weight on the transfers that have done something in college (Carter is an example) than what someone was ranked coming out of high school. The school that gets Davis from SMU is crushing it.

This is a very good transfer class for Cooley. How they perform as a team next year will be the judge if he “crushed it”.

Because he has signed five guys that were top 100 recruits coming out of high school. That is the definition of crushing it.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

I would put more weight on the transfers that have done something in college (Carter is an example) than what someone was ranked coming out of high school. The school that gets Davis from SMU is crushing it.

This is a very good transfer class for Cooley. How they perform as a team next year will be the judge if he “crushed it”.

Locke, Moore and Carter all played very well at their last stops and I will take my chances with Floyd and Hopkins. Go on the Kentucky message board and the fans are very upset about losing Hopkins. They say he should have had more of a shot.
1 x