The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Timberlake can't shoot. He'll get by on his athleticism at that level but there is a reason he's now at Bryant. His high school rankings mean jack shit at this point.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Wow Grasso is a monster. This is why I would have been fine with him as our coach. He’s an incredible recruiter… I can’t imagine who he would have gotten at our program.

I’m staying positive but PC UMass and Bryant continuing to land great recruits sucks…
Stevey, I'm hopeful but staying neutral until I see who Archie recruits. I would like to see us get players from P5 programs, not players left from a picked over portal. Archie is in a very difficult situation. URI may get worse before we get better which is much better than perpetual mediocrity. Thor mishandled the program after DH departed.
*climbs up mountain
*stretches
*puts hands around mouth

FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Yup, only a matter of time before we see a donor create a fake company so they can drop a bag off to a player. "He's our official brand ambassador!"

I'm ALL for paying players, too. But you'd be pretty naive to think there wouldn't be some bad actors doing some scummy things as part of it.
Don't want to harp on this or detail the thread, but last point on NLI because I think it's spot on.

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Wow Grasso is a monster. This is why I would have been fine with him as our coach. He’s an incredible recruiter… I can’t imagine who he would have gotten at our program.

I’m staying positive but PC UMass and Bryant continuing to land great recruits sucks…
Stevey, I'm hopeful but staying neutral until I see who Archie recruits. I would like to see us get players from P5 programs, not players left from a picked over portal. Archie is in a very difficult situation. URI may get worse before we get better which is much better than perpetual mediocrity. Thor mishandled the program after DH departed.
*climbs up mountain
*stretches
*puts hands around mouth

FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
And also spell his name right you bum.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Timberlake can't shoot. He'll get by on his athleticism at that level but there is a reason he's now at Bryant. His high school rankings mean jack shit at this point.
This is where media and others tends to hold on original HS Rankings forever - even long after they are not the same in todays world
Timberlake was #37 in 2020.
I saw Timberlake play for Team Durant because I was watching Ishmael Leggett who URI was recruiting. Leggett and Timberlake both played for Team Durant that summer. Timberlake hit 2-11 3FGs for Miami and Memphis the last 2 years for 18%. About what I’d expect. For Team Durant Timberlake took a lot of 3 FGs and didn’t hit many the games I saw. My impression was surprised that he was rated so high. PC was heavily chasing Timberlake at the time.

I just found and read this scouting report on Timberlake and very much agree with it. Pretty much what I observed live.
He is a 62% FT shooter past two years at Miami/Memphis. He’s not a good shooter, but as the scouting report says he still takes a lot of shots.

Writers should drop the references to 4-star, 5-star HS performance after players have played 2,3 and even 4 years of college. It’s irrelevant in some cases so why not go with the college stats that are more relevant and recent.

Timberlake tried Miami and Memphis, now will try at Bryant and try to rebuild his brand. Good move on his part.

https://www.h2hhoops.com/earl-timberlake
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was from EYBL 2019 Team Durant:

Team Durant (9-4) Wins: Oakland Soldiers, All Ohio Red, Team Takeover, Howard Pulley, Brad Beal Elite, Seattle Rotary, NY Lighting, Expressions Elite, Georgia Stars.
Losses: Alabama Fuison by 5, Team Why Not by 12, AOT Runnin Rebels by 25, Boo Williams by 18, then 6 wins in a row.

Team Durant is on fire, winning their last 6 games. TD isled by 6-6 G/F Earl Timberlake (18ppg at 49%, 9rpg, 3apg, 1 steal and 1 block) from DeMatha. 6-3 G Ishmael Leggett from St; Johns (16ppg at 49%, 4rpg and 3apg), 6-5G Daruis Maddox (15ppg at 48%, 3rpg and 2apg) who transferred to Oak Hill from St. Johns, 6-6 junior William Jeffers (10ppg, 3rpg) from Erie, PA, 6-8 F Caleb Dorsey (9ppg, 5rg) from the Hill School, 6-0 PG Adrian Baldwin (6ppg, 2rpg, 3 apg) from St. Frances. 6-1 PG Colin Smalls (6ppg, from St. Anfrews who has committed to American Univeristy commit Colin Smalls, 6-9 F DeMatha F Paul Smith (5ppg, 2rpg), 6-1 Crey Barnes from Archbishop Carroll who has committed to Towson State, 6-10 Tegra Izay from Archbishop Carroll and 6-5 sharpshooter Eric Sonberg from South River HS (Anne Arundel County) who has committed to Lafayette.

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 133550422/
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Timberlake had a college ready body when he was in high school, similar to Jared Terrell, like a linebacker, which allowed him to dominate. His skills haven't translated to the college game like Jared's did though. But he should do very well at Bryant.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Terrell could shoot. Timberlake not near the shooter Terrell was.
Timberlake is a scorer. Not a an efficient shooter. Just as the scouting report I attached said, his shooting mechanics are not pretty.

Terrell is more talented than Timberlake. But Terrell is more of a strong, smooth, efficient shooting guard while Timberlake is a strong, inefficient shooting small forward who wants to play away from the hoop more than he should. But we will see at Bryant vs 150-350 NET competition.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Barely played at Providence. Probably knows Corey Floyd Jr is committing soon.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago
Floyd Jr is a PG so don't think those are connected. Goodine is more of a 2 or 3.
Moreso them signing Devin Carter and Noah Locke for the 2 and 3 spots that made it obvious he wasn't going to get much burn.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Floyd Jr is a PG so don't think those are connected. Goodine is more of a 2 or 3.
Moreso them signing Devin Carter and Noah Locke for the 2 and 3 spots that made it obvious he wasn't going to get much burn.
I think this is true. Floyd was on campus yesterday but I am not led to believe that a commitment is forthcoming. Unrelated but Hopkins should be committing today or tomorrow.

Goodine has a nice stroke but is completely lost on defense which made him unplayable. He will do well going down a level.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC has truly become Transfer U. Breed is probably the only player recruited out of high school that will be in PC’s 7-8 man rotation next year. Why would you go to PC as a Fr?
“We will be good when we are good.”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I don’t think that is accurate. It’s the way of the world everywhere. Of your 10 man rotation last year, 8 of those were transfers. It feels like a large percentage but I don’t think it’s that much of an outlier.

Also, PC will have Castro at PF who redshirted last year, and the jewel of this year’s class is Jayden Pierre. Both will be in the rotation and at least Pierre will be getting major minutes.
Last edited by PCFriars 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A sweet 16 appearance is going to attract good players, especially transfers. We'll see how long it lasts.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Transfer Portal Status April 19 >>>> Deadline May 1

1388 Total
  • 322 Completed Transfer
  • 1066 Still Available
Transfer Rankings:
URI
IN:
268-Bryon Freeman - from George Washington

OUT:
29-Makhel Mitchell - Arkansas
68-Antwan Walker - Bryant
90-Makhi Mitchell - Arkansas
319-Allen Betrand
522-Tres Berry
945-Ileri Aya-Faleye

UMASS
IN:
190-Wildens Levesque - from South Carolina
287-Rahsool Diggens - from UCONN
324-Ta'Quan Woodley - from South Carolina

OUT:
197-Javohn Garcia

Bryant
IN:
60-Earl Timberlake - Memphis
68-Antwan Walker - URI
187-Chauncey Hawkins - St Francis
209-Kvonn Cramer - Hofstra
295-Doug Edert - St Peters
641-Sharif Kenney - LaSalle
1208-Joe Kabimba - George Mason

OUT:
217-Luis Hurtado
576-Kai Kostmayer
798-Chris Childs
1003-Max Zakheim
1029-Mike Uzzolino

PC
IN:
63-Noah Locke - from Louisville
120-Devin Carter - from South Carolina
286-Clifton Moore - from LaSalle

OUT:
651-Matteus Case

https://evanmiya.com
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good find Ramster where are Duru and Femi ranked ??
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Timberlake can't shoot. He'll get by on his athleticism at that level but there is a reason he's now at Bryant. His high school rankings mean jack shit at this point.
This is where media and others tends to hold on original HS Rankings forever - even long after they are not the same in todays world
Timberlake was #37 in 2020.
I saw Timberlake play for Team Durant because I was watching Ishmael Leggett who URI was recruiting. Leggett and Timberlake both played for Team Durant that summer. Timberlake hit 2-11 3FGs for Miami and Memphis the last 2 years for 18%. About what I’d expect. For Team Durant Timberlake took a lot of 3 FGs and didn’t hit many the games I saw. My impression was surprised that he was rated so high. PC was heavily chasing Timberlake at the time.

I just found and read this scouting report on Timberlake and very much agree with it. Pretty much what I observed live.
He is a 62% FT shooter past two years at Miami/Memphis. He’s not a good shooter, but as the scouting report says he still takes a lot of shots.

Writers should drop the references to 4-star, 5-star HS performance after players have played 2,3 and even 4 years of college. It’s irrelevant in some cases so why not go with the college stats that are more relevant and recent.

Timberlake tried Miami and Memphis, now will try at Bryant and try to rebuild his brand. Good move on his part.

https://www.h2hhoops.com/earl-timberlake
Kind of sounds like Jalen Carey. Much higher than he should have been rated.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... rs-portal/

Top 20 Transfers Ranked:

16. Makhel Mitchell
Old school: Rhode Island | New school: Arkansas

Makhel Mitchell is an excellent shot-blocker at 6-10, and if the skill translates to the SEC, he could wind up being the best rim protector of Musselman's time so far at Arkansas. Mitchell can also get buckets in the paint as a roll guy and rim runner. While he lacks a track record with 3-point shooting, he is versatile enough to put the ball on the floor offensively if operating out of the high post. Defensively, he is athletic enough to handle a switch in the pick and roll.

17. Makhi Mitchell

Makhi Mitchell is a 6-9 forward who began his career at Maryland alongside brother Makhel Mitchell. Both are transferring to Arkansas and should flourish in coach Eric Musselman's system, which has a proven track record of getting the best out of transfers. Makhi is the more versatile player of the two and averaged 9.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in just 24.1 minutes per game last season while shooting 52.2% from the floor. Makhi began to shoot 3-pointers last season, converting on 7 of 23 attempts. If he can add a consistent outside shot to his versatile, defense-first identity, then he can be impact player on an SEC title contender.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... rs-portal/

Top 20 Transfers Ranked:

16. Makhel Mitchell

Makhel Mitchell is an excellent shot-blocker at 6-10, and if the skill translates to the SEC, he could wind up being the best rim protector of Musselman's time so far at Arkansas. Mitchell can also get buckets in the paint as a roll guy and rim runner. While he lacks a track record with 3-point shooting, he is versatile enough to put the ball on the floor offensively if operating out of the high post. Defensively, he is athletic enough to handle a switch in the pick and roll.

17. Makhi Mitchell

Makhi Mitchell is a 6-9 forward who began his career at Maryland alongside brother Makhel Mitchell. Both are transferring to Arkansas and should flourish in coach Eric Musselman's system, which has a proven track record of getting the best out of transfers. Makhi is the more versatile player of the two and averaged 9.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in just 24.1 minutes per game last season while shooting 52.2% from the floor. Makhi began to shoot 3-pointers last season, converting on 7 of 23 attempts. If he can add a consistent outside shot to his versatile, defense-first identity, then he can be impact player on an SEC title contender.
Whoever wrote this needs to dig a little deeper on these two.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Good find Ramster where are Duru and Femi ranked ??
Good question Reef, I thought about adding some of the players under discussion:

Names being thrown out:

URI:
168-Femi Odukale - Pittsburgh
402-Sean Durugordon - Missouri

PC
109-Corey Floyd Jr - UCONN
116-Bryce Hopkins - Kentucky

UMASS
88-Matt Cross - Louisville - Cross is on UMASS Campus today on visit

Yuri Collins just showed up at #5 out of 1300+ and is headed to Tennessee - that was fast :roll: :roll:
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Good find Ramster where are Duru and Femi ranked ??
Good question Reef, I thought about adding some of the players under discussion:

Names being thrown out:

URI:
168-Femi Odukale - Pittsburgh
402-Sean Durugordon - Missouri

PC
109-Corey Floyd Jr - UCONN
116-Bryce Hopkins - Kentucky

UMASS
88-Matt Cross - Louisville - Cross is on UMASS Campus today on visit

Yuri Collins just showed up at #5 out of 1300+ and is headed to Tennessee - that was fast :roll: :roll:
Hasn’t officially committed to Tennessee, but that’s where he’s rumored to be going.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess the "experts" at URI know better than this expert rater?
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I guess the "experts" at URI know better than this expert rater?

This is the only site that I can find that rates all of the Transfers in the Portal. My guess is that in the future there will be more Bec cause Transfers have quickly become the primary recruiting source. Transfers are also can be stronger, more experienced, more mature, battle tested and proven over time against consistent competition levels. High School prospects are more of a crapshoot.

Another relatively new factor is NIL. Future will look more and more like a bidding war for players. Maybe E-Bay will create a separate division.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I feel like all of a sudden all I'm reading about today is NIL stuff. Maybe it warrants its own separate thread because I'm thinking it's something URI is going to need to tackle in the near future to keep recruiting at a high level.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But mostly they aren't really NIL in the true sense...mostly schools are forming these "collectives" and getting a bunch of donors to put money into the collectives to retain/recruit talent and then offering that talent to local non profits for appearances or social posts. I mean I guess it's NIL but really it's just legal payoffs.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is the first and only media member I have heard actually describe what’s going on with NIL accurately. Any player getting money is now called NIL and that’s simply not the case. The sports media is further perpetuating the myth vs calling it what it is. Either bc they are complicit or simply don’t understand.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Transfer Portal Status April 19 >>>> Deadline May 1

1388 Total
  • 322 Completed Transfer
  • 1066 Still Available
Transfer Rankings:
URI
IN:

OUT:
319-Allen Betrand
522-Tres Berry
945-Ileri Aya-Faleye

UMASS
IN:

OUT:
197-Javohn Garcia

Bryant
IN:
68-Antwan Walker - URI

OUT:
217-Luis Hurtado
576-Kai Kostmayer
798-Chris Childs
1003-Max Zakheim
1029-Mike Uzzolino

PC
IN:

OUT:
651-Matteus Case

These rating seem off. Walker at #68 (way too high). Freeman at #268 (did they know he was all rookie team)?
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

The Evan Miya site is entirely analytics. It's for sure a helpful tool but the top 75 or whatever rankings put out by actual humans are more accurate. Walker is so high because of what he was able to do in shorter minutes and his shooting percentages were so high.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago The Evan Miya site is entirely analytics. It's for sure a helpful tool but the top 75 or whatever rankings put out by actual humans are more accurate. Walker is so high because of what he was able to do in shorter minutes and his shooting percentages were so high.
Trouble is they only rank the top 75

I have not found any other sites that rank all of the Transfers. My guess is more will exist as this transfer route continues to grow as the primary source of players.

over 1800 last year
almost 1400 this year with a ways to go til May 1 cut off

all 4 years of college players got the extra Covid year so that means there are still 2 additional years of players with the bonus Covid year to use as their wish. This Covid year impacts 4 years of transfers and impacts the recruiting of incoming freshmen because of the logjam created by 5 year players. Only so many seats at the table.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I know we are supposed to keep posts to players we have a connection to, but Gianni Thompson just entered the portal.
Local kid with upside.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Transfer Portal Status April 19 >>>> Deadline May 1

1388 Total
  • 322 Completed Transfer
  • 1066 Still Available
Transfer Rankings:
URI
IN:

OUT:
319-Allen Betrand
522-Tres Berry
945-Ileri Aya-Faleye

UMASS
IN:

OUT:
197-Javohn Garcia

Bryant
IN:
68-Antwan Walker - URI

OUT:
217-Luis Hurtado
576-Kai Kostmayer
798-Chris Childs
1003-Max Zakheim
1029-Mike Uzzolino

PC
IN:

OUT:
651-Matteus Case

These rating seem off. Walker at #68 (way too high). Freeman at #268 (did they know he was all rookie team)?
Agree and 3 top 100s for our guys seems very inaccurate also
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago The Evan Miya site is entirely analytics. It's for sure a helpful tool but the top 75 or whatever rankings put out by actual humans are more accurate. Walker is so high because of what he was able to do in shorter minutes and his shooting percentages were so high.
How do they tell the difference between 75 and 76?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess we should be watching the transfer portal for both Fordham and Villanova. The Neptune and Wright departures could shake things up at each school.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I guess we should be watching the transfer portal for both Fordham and Villanova. The Neptune and Wright departures could shake things up at each school.
I doubt Nova loses any players.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I guess we should be watching the transfer portal for both Fordham and Villanova. The Neptune and Wright departures could shake things up at each school.
I doubt Nova loses any players.
Yeah - I kind of assume Fordham is at-risk of losing anyone decent, but Neptune was with Villanova pretty recently, and even their 2021-22 freshmen, he probably helped to recruit.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And Fordham has a couple of good players. Wouldn't they follow Neptune to Nova?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago And Fordham has a couple of good players. Wouldn't they follow Neptune to Nova?
I bet at least one does for sure
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago PC has truly become Transfer U. Breed is probably the only player recruited out of high school that will be in PC’s 7-8 man rotation next year. Why would you go to PC as a Fr?
There are over a thousand players that will pass thru the portal b4 all said and done. PC is simply taking advantage of their sweet sixteen appearance and Cooley coach of the year and striking while the iron is hot. This is the new way of upgrading talent right now if you don't keep up you get left behind.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
From what I have heard Floyd is more of a 2 guard and not sure he's committing anyway. Goodine probably was not going to get time unless he started playing better defense. It would seem PC has upgraded the talent level.
Last edited by woodennickel1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago PC has truly become Transfer U. Breed is probably the only player recruited out of high school that will be in PC’s 7-8 man rotation next year. Why would you go to PC as a Fr?
There are over a thousand players that will pass thru the portal b4 all said and done. PC is simply taking advantage of their sweet sixteen appearance and Cooley coach of the year and striking while the iron is hot. This is the new way of upgrading talent right now if you don't keep up you get left behind.
I agree. PC’s 7 man rotation this year had 5 transfers. So this isn’t new from the Sweet 16 success. You could add Breed and call it an 8 man rotation.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ahmad Harrison, G, Fordham played for Kenny Johnson
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Ahmad Harrison, G, Fordham played for Kenny Johnson
His freshmen stats are pretty minimal.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

I know there are over 1000 players in the portal and this is a “process” but when Bryant is landing good transfers and we have only one so far I’m left scratching my head. I have complete faith in Archie , this is not a complaint by any means , but other nearby teams are landing good talent and in no way shape or form should URI be potentially out recruited by Bryant. Again , I trust the process and Archie but I would have thought we would have filled a few more spots by now with all the holes we have.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It can get frustrating but URI was not interested in the players that went to Bryant, and UMass is grabbing who they can. Archie is being patient so he ends up with the best team possible. Let's see how it works out.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."