It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the context of a billboard...

1.) The worst that would happen if there was infringement was a cease and desist notice months later from Miller Coors if they even caught wind of it

2.) Not sure of the specifics of their copyright but we aren't using it to sell beer which would be blatant infringement. They may have protections beyond the beer category and probably do though not sure how far that extends.

3.) If you aren't selling something the protections are much less stringent, in this case it would be arguable if it was a just a branding / promo message if it said "Buy Tickets" then that would change things.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm no lawyer so I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the "Its Miller Time" trademark only applies to the beer category.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'm no lawyer so I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the "Its Miller Time" trademark only applies to the beer category.
Andddddd there ya go. It's also literally the guys last name as well as what could be considered a non commercial use which makes the rules less stringent. Net net whether you try to engage Miller Coors or just wing it there is very little risk involved. That said I doubt a University would blatantly flout IP laws but there has to be enough gray area here where we could do it legally.
Last edited by bigappleram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean not for nothing Miller has been a sponsor before. Wouldn’t be that hard to do a joint billboard that says “it’s Miller time” as a Miller/Rhody ad.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can only imagine the fun police, dry campus types not going for that as an official ad campaign. But it is a new regime and they may be more open to it.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'm no lawyer so I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the "Its Miller Time" trademark only applies to the beer category.
Andddddd there ya go. It's also literally the guys first name as well as what could be considered a non commercial use which makes the rules less stringent. Net net whether you try to engage Miller Coors or just wing it there is very little risk involved. That said I doubt a University would blatantly flout IP laws but there has to be enough gray area here where we could do it legally.
Would just dropping the “It’s” be enough of a change?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's lame to copy something Dayton did
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago This doesn’t take a masters in advertising. Some art direction and “It’s Miller Time” as the headline, great photo of Archie overlooking the RC and we done. Throw the new logo on there call it a day.
I mean, if it weren't for those pesky copyright laws that would work
I brought up this t-shirt that Archie's wife Morgan used to wear. Couldn't we do something like that with 'Rhody High Life' or 'It's Rhody Time'?

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-ba ... irt/224335
Big difference between knock off shirts and merch/advertising done in an official capacity by the university. Anything done officially, such as your suggestion, would need approval from Miller Brewing, and a very fat check going to them at a minimum.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If you start using their marks, logos, etc yes then a licensing deal is necessary. Usually involves an upfront check which can vary in size and a 7-10% piece of net sales against that guarantee. However using "Miller Time" without their fonts or logos or what not is a diff story. That's where its more gray and you get the same effect without needing to replicate their logo treatment etc.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

If you've got the time, we've got the ball.
3 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Or... Our team has hops. Miller time.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Or... Plays great, less losing.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

U Can't Touch This---- Rammer Time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years agoPls no
:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Or... Plays great, less losing.
The champagne of basketball?
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
I can almost somewhat live with that.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
I can almost guarantee you that the folks at Horizon Beverage, the company that distributes Miller Beer would be very pleased with the publicity. They pulled back their sponsorship this year so it's a great incentive to get them back in the fold. I'm sure the great people at Learfield are already on it. The backlash might come from another beer company that has ponied up and not happy with the extra attention to the Miller Brand.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago

I can almost guarantee you that the folks at Horizon Beverage, the company that distributes Miller Beer would be very pleased with the publicity. They pulled back their sponsorship this year so it's a great incentive to get them back in the fold. I'm sure the great people at Learfield are already on it. The backlash might come from another beer company that has ponied up and not happy with the extra attention to the Miller Brand.
Who else ponied up? Shaidzon? Whalers? Two Roads?
0 x
IwasInStLouis
Jim Eitner

Unread post by IwasInStLouis »

I know it’s similar to PC’s Us We…but it was said by Archie at his press conference. I think we should run with it too.
Think this would cause issues with infringement?
I think the tshirt should read:

Hard. Smart. Fast. Together….It’s MillerTime at Rhody!! with maybe the new Ram and a basketball embossed over the whole wording.

Again charge maybe $50 as some added money to the team?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

IwasInStLouis wrote: 2 years ago I know it’s similar to PC’s Us We…but it was said by Archie at his press conference. I think we should run with it too.
Think this would cause issues with infringement?
I think the tshirt should read:

Hard. Smart. Fast. Together….It’s MillerTime at Rhody!! with maybe the new Ram and a basketball embossed over the whole wording.

Again charge maybe $50 as some added money to the team?
You’ll get maybe 3 people to buy a $50 plus shipping/tax for a cotton T shirt.
2 x
Go Rhody
IwasInStLouis
Jim Eitner

Unread post by IwasInStLouis »

I think you miss the point.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

IwasInStLouis wrote: 2 years ago I think you miss the point.
I think if you only sell three...there is no point.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago Has anyone else caught this in today's Projo Letters to Editor? I figured these people would inevitably be coming out of the woodwork...
Those mouthbreathers always exist. They also don't understand anything - like the fact that the athletics budget is typically funded by student fees, 3/4 of his comp is paid for by gate receipts, and I'm not sure about payroll for his base salary - but at best, the state funded 19% of the last budget I saw in FY21 - so figure the most that the state would actually be on the hook for is like $80k.

I wonder if he complained about all the tax dollars used to pay for the Dunkin Donuts center rehab?

Or that his state tax dollars pay the City of Providence a couple million a year through the PILOT program to account for the fact that PC sits on tax exempt property?

No? Maybe that guy should go fuck himself then.

I have a blob nosy neighbor who makes $120k a year working for the state and I believe most of what she does is shop online all day and eat. Where’s the outrage for state employees who sit and do nothing?
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago Has anyone else caught this in today's Projo Letters to Editor? I figured these people would inevitably be coming out of the woodwork...
Those mouthbreathers always exist. They also don't understand anything - like the fact that the athletics budget is typically funded by student fees, 3/4 of his comp is paid for by gate receipts, and I'm not sure about payroll for his base salary - but at best, the state funded 19% of the last budget I saw in FY21 - so figure the most that the state would actually be on the hook for is like $80k.

I wonder if he complained about all the tax dollars used to pay for the Dunkin Donuts center rehab?

Or that his state tax dollars pay the City of Providence a couple million a year through the PILOT program to account for the fact that PC sits on tax exempt property?

I have a blob nosy neighbor who makes $120k a year working for the state and I believe most of what she does is shop online all day and eat. Where’s the outrage for state employees who sit and do nothing?
You're welcome.
-State Employee Union
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I mean not for nothing Miller has been a sponsor before. Wouldn’t be that hard to do a joint billboard that says “it’s Miller time” as a Miller/Rhody ad.

I love it- I hope someone at Rhody is contacting Miler!
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Good job, if you can get it!!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

Good job, if you can get it!!
Yeah, she even told me that she…. “positioned” herself for said job
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Can you summarize
0 x
Common sense is not common.
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for posting great article. I saw that clip where Archie thought Miami would beat Auburn because of their great guard play, and Sean thought he was nuts. It was pretty funny and Archie was correct, it is a guards game with the one or two bigs you need to protect the rim.

Interesting this quote that Archie had about Indiana, it looks like it was not a good marriage all the way around.

In March 2021, he was fired.

“I knew right away that, one, I was leaving where I lived in 50 seconds and I would never go back and, two, I was going to take some time to figure the next step out,” Archie said. “At that point in time, I really didn’t need to rush into anything. I haven’t thought one second about my time there. It came and it’s gone.”
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for posting great article. I saw that clip where Archie thought Miami would beat Auburn because of their great guard play, and Sean thought he was nuts. It was pretty funny and Archie was correct, it is a guards game with the one or two bigs you need to protect the rim.

Interesting this quote that Archie had about Indiana, it looks like it was not a good marriage all the way around.

“I knew right away that, one, I was leaving where I lived in 50 seconds and I would never go back and, two, I was going to take some time to figure the next step out,” Archie said. “At that point in time, I really didn’t need to rush into anything. I haven’t thought one second about my time there. It came and it’s gone.”
Really great article . We definitely made a home run hire with Arch and we are going places just give us some time
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This kind of highlights the uniqueness of our situation with Arch. Penders, Skinner and Hurley all came thru here on the ascent - this was the biggest job they had had to that point in their careers. Harrick came here from a bigger job that ended poorly, but he won a national championship at UCLA so his experience wasn’t totally awful. It’ll be interesting if Archie does what we expect and builds this program back up and they make a tournament run in a couple of years and he becomes a hot commodity for high major jobs again how he’ll view that. Part of me thinks money talks no matter what, but it’s a little bit of a different decision than the one the guys I mentioned above had to make. Unlike Penders, Skinner and Hurley he’s gone down that road already, and unlike Harrick he really didn’t get much out of the deal (from a coaching standpoint - obviously his bank account made out fine). Hope we get to that point but if we do I’ll be curious how it plays out.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think this time it’s different I’m expecting Archie to win us some games in the big dance and I think he coaches here at least 8-10 years hopefully more
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not sure about 8-10 years, but TP hits on Archie's situation is different.

I think he'll stay at least 5-6 years.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
This kind of highlights the uniqueness of our situation with Arch. Penders, Skinner and Hurley all came thru here on the ascent - this was the biggest job they had had to that point in their careers. Harrick came here from a bigger job that ended poorly, but he won a national championship at UCLA so his experience wasn’t totally awful. It’ll be interesting if Archie does what we expect and builds this program back up and they make a tournament run in a couple of years and he becomes a hot commodity for high major jobs again how he’ll view that. Part of me thinks money talks no matter what, but it’s a little bit of a different decision than the one the guys I mentioned above had to make. Unlike Penders, Skinner and Hurley he’s gone down that road already, and unlike Harrick he really didn’t get much out of the deal (from a coaching standpoint - obviously his bank account made out fine). Hope we get to that point but if we do I’ll be curious how it plays out.
Agreed. The “money talks” thing doesn’t really apply anymore. Arch will be in that elite $2.5M+ range - meaning we’re competing with those top jobs now. Way different than Dan making $1M.

Also, we’re investing in the program. Archie won’t have the coaching turnover Dan did. Archie will be able to recruit with a practice facility and charter flights - like other big schools.

And for the chicken littles waiting for him to leave - maybe he wants to stay in one place and win? He tried the “big time” thing. Based on what I’ve seen and heard from him - it doesn’t seem like something he enjoyed or wants to deal with again.

If he gets a full Ryan Center and a chance to make deep NCAA runs, why would he want to invite the kind of headaches that come with big time expectations again.

It can’t be fun. Maybe he’ll just be thrilled to be in a place with lower expectations that’s just happy to win and be good.

Start to enjoy this ride instead of preplanning the end of it. Gotta be a miserable way to live.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yup Archie's bracket was close to perfect. I just took all of his suggestions from the podcast and ended up winning a lot of $$
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Who are the two taller players? Look at least 6’10

1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Samb and Ileri
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago I think Samb and Ileri
Aka "the core"? :lol:
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

That is Ileri and Abdou !!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

My expectations Samb and Ileri for next year: play solid defense, rebound, clean up garbage around the rim / finish at rim with contact, beat your man down court on offense for potential easy baskets, limit turnovers.

I they do that at a competent, competitive A10 level, then I’ll be happy.

Is that too big of a lift for both?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago My expectations Samb and Ileri for next year: play solid defense, rebound, clean up garbage around the rim / finish at rim with contact, beat your man down court on offense for potential easy baskets, limit turnovers.

I they do that at a competent, competitive A10 level, then I’ll be happy.

Is that too big of a lift for both?
Who knows? We haven’t seen them play. But those are reasonable expectations.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watching the hype videos with an established regime with past success jump into the running rams grave and try to resurrect the past 7 years is so weird. I remember the development guy we got from the chicago bulls and the workout area was updated and there was so much optimism. Now it's like is this other development guy better than that chicago guy? Does miller like our athlete gym area? is the practice facility coming, what does he think about the plan?

Just so many unknowns from are these guys going to deliver? Do they like what they have found here? How do they compare to the past?

All in all I like what he is saying in that latest hype video but our URI Mens basketball team has some new main characters and they were some of the prime antagonists of past tales.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Great video, everything being done now is 1st class watch out for the Runnin Rams
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We really missed stuff like this during the Cox era. Just these little snippets create buzz. Recruits see it. Fans see it. It just raises the profile on it's own.

Archie get it.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We really missed stuff like this during the Cox era. Just these little snippets create buzz. Recruits see it. Fans see it. It just raises the profile on it's own.

Archie get it.
The ending of the video gets me so fired up
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We really missed stuff like this during the Cox era. Just these little snippets create buzz. Recruits see it. Fans see it. It just raises the profile on it's own.

Archie get it.
Had great videos when Hurley was here too.

Anthony Garro was tremendous with social media videos and whatnot.
3 x
Go Rhody