Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you wanted to bet on a former player with the best possible chance to be a HC some day down the line it would be Jimmy. By a lot. He def already has a network for recruiting that could be expanded. Coaching pedigree. Decade of pro ball and a jumper as pure as can be.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Went back and found this from 4 months ago….on the Fire Cox thread as you said, theblueram…….Page 1 of the 57 page Fire Cox thread..

E31A9DA8-190B-48CB-B163-2D7B9FA69561.jpeg
Bravo to blueman for the memory and ramster for digging up the posts - and of course to STC for first saying Archie and leading us down this path from pipe dream to reality!
Eyyy thanks guys for the shout out. I'm used to being called out for my freezing cold takes so this is a nice change of pace. If there was ever a take I wanted to be right about, this was the one.
Just thought you deserved some props.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago

Bravo to blueman for the memory and ramster for digging up the posts - and of course to STC for first saying Archie and leading us down this path from pipe dream to reality!
Eyyy thanks guys for the shout out. I'm used to being called out for my freezing cold takes so this is a nice change of pace. If there was ever a take I wanted to be right about, this was the one.
Just thought you deserved some props.
Ditto
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I am a fan of Kenny Green for that last coach. He could work with the big kids and get his foot in the door coaching. Next would be Silk because he has been out of coaching for a bit and wouldn’t be insulted by being offered this job. Tyson would probably consider it a downward move. My last choice would be Preston Murphy because it may be loophole around his 2 year show cause. He wouldn’t be recruiting in this position
Why would Wheeler think it a downward move? He was last at UMass. UMass to uri isn’t downward- unless the open position here is lower than what he had at UMass?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

From an assistant to a personnel staffer. Downgrade
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I am a fan of Kenny Green for that last coach. He could work with the big kids and get his foot in the door coaching. Next would be Silk because he has been out of coaching for a bit and wouldn’t be insulted by being offered this job. Tyson would probably consider it a downward move. My last choice would be Preston Murphy because it may be loophole around his 2 year show cause. He wouldn’t be recruiting in this position
Why would Wheeler think it a downward move? He was last at UMass. UMass to uri isn’t downward- unless the open position here is lower than what he had at UMass?
I doubt many coaches that have been actual assistants are going to want to fill this player development role, which I think is more at the DBO level of the organizational structure. It’s important to find someone good for it, probably a former player that wants to break into coaching makes sense. But it’s a sub-coach position.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If you wanted to bet on a former player with the best possible chance to be a HC some day down the line it would be Jimmy. By a lot. He def already has a network for recruiting that could be expanded. Coaching pedigree. Decade of pro ball and a jumper as pure as can be.
Now that would be a homerun for that last position
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago From an assistant to a personnel staffer. Downgrade
That's fair. I had no idea what Tyson's specific job at UMass was. Asst down to a lower job is a downgrade. From UMass to URI in a similar position is not.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
I doubt many coaches that have been actual assistants are going to want to fill this player development role, which I think is more at the DBO level of the organizational structure. It’s important to find someone good for it, probably a former player that wants to break into coaching makes sense. But it’s a sub-coach position.
Yeah, I wasn't exactly certain what Tyson's actual position was at UMass - just that he was on staff in some level. I agree going from an assistant at UMass to a non assistant position here is a step down. Going from asst at UMass to asst here is not.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nice testimonial here.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Nice testimonial here.

Sure is a ringing endorsement, I absolutely love our staff !!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Really good staff Arch assembled for us

Who were some of the players Arch , Sean , Cooley and Austin coached on that U 19 team in 2015 ??
Jaydon Tatum and Jalen Brunson were on that team
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dawan Robinson is lobbying for the open position on Twitter:

2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've got a name for that last position who is a former Rhody player. Cordell Llewellyn. I thought of him when I saw that we just offered a kid from Canada. I believe he coached at some level in Canada (AAU?) and has a lot of connections up there. And oh, his son is one of the top players in the portal right now from Princeton.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, Dawan!!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Sign me up for Dawan. Good spot to break a guy into the coaching world and he's been doing player development programs as a business.

Plus, getting some of his toughness and attitude into the room is a good thing.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Robinson and Brian Woodward overlapped for two years here, maybe Brian can put in a good word with his brother
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I vote for Dawan, even though my vote means nothing.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'd be all for Dawan!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m for whomever Arch wants
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I’m for whomever Arch wants
I agree but if who he wants is Dawan that would be great. I mean, I said what I said before about this not being a make-work program for former players and that’s true but if there is a former player who is qualified and is a fit, I’d love to bring guys back home. Dawan seems like he’d be a viable candidate if he’s serious.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Man, I’m glad I’m not making the decision on the last open staff position. Whew! Numerous quality potentials mentioned above and likely more not thought of yet. Go Archie…go Rhody.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree but if who he wants is Dawan that would be great. I mean, I said what I said before about this not being a make-work program for former players and that’s true but if there is a former player who is qualified and is a fit, I’d love to bring guys back home. Dawan seems like he’d be a viable candidate if he’s serious.
I’d be ok with Dawan for sure
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Dawan would be good…but Preston would be better! Ease him back into college coaching ranks!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Dawan would be good…but Preston would be better! Ease him back into college coaching ranks!
As much as I like Preston, I don't think he will get hired by URI in any capacity until his show-cause penalty expires.

There is too much of a risk at this time and would put our entire program under a microscope by the NCAA.

However, at a later time, I would love to see him return.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I recall that Preston's "mortal sin" was accepting cash for getting players to sign with an agent. Is that all the NCAA has on him? I can get over that real fast!
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If you wanted to bet on a former player with the best possible chance to be a HC some day down the line it would be Jimmy. By a lot. He def already has a network for recruiting that could be expanded. Coaching pedigree. Decade of pro ball and a jumper as pure as can be.
I did not read the entire thread but definitely agree with this post by BAR. I wouldn't mind DR either
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Kenny Green. Silk Owens. Dawan Robinson. Preston Murphy in a non-recruiting role to avoid the show cause
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The next assistant coach is anyone who can bring along one or two quality players immediately. They are easily replaceable. Start getting quality players or Tammi will be outdrawing Archie next year! Consider JH hiring JD or McCall hiring TB. It is not utopia, it is the real world,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The next assistant coach is anyone who can bring along one or two quality players immediately. They are easily replaceable. Start getting quality players or Tammi will be outdrawing Archie next year! Consider JH hiring JD or McCall hiring TB. It is not utopia, it is the real world,
Everyone: Cox sucks!
R72: Extend him! CFL!

Everyone: Holy shit, URI got Archie and the school has actually committed to the program! Things are finally looking up!
R72: Pffft, Archie didn't even fill all available scholarships in his first month! Thorr screwed this up!

The most successful trolls are the ones who aren't this obvious. You used to be fun, like a jester, but now you're just a sad clown. Might be time to hang up the cleats and call it a career.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The next assistant coach is anyone who can bring along one or two quality players immediately. They are easily replaceable. Start getting quality players or Tammi will be outdrawing Archie next year! Consider JH hiring JD or McCall hiring TB. It is not utopia, it is the real world,
Everyone: Cox sucks!
R72: Extend him! CFL!

Everyone: Holy shit, URI got Archie and the school has actually committed to the program! Things are finally looking up!
R72: Pffft, Archie didn't even fill all available scholarships in his first month! Thorr screwed this up!

The most successful trolls are the ones who aren't this obvious. You used to be fun, like a jester, but now you're just a sad clown. Might be time to hang up the cleats and call it a career.
He still seems to get plenty of bites.. ;)
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
Ok, deleting posts to clean up this thread.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.
That was a great feature on Austin C, I love the whole staff we have here now
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Had the opportunity to spend some time with Austin recently, and frankly I was very impressed. He is so much more than just his father's son. He has a very positive attitude about URI and our roster this year. I can't wait for November!!!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Is anyone else worried about the Louisville ruling tomorrow? I hope KJ doesn’t get in trouble
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Is anyone else worried about the Louisville ruling tomorrow? I hope KJ doesn’t get in trouble
Don't think anything else will happen to him.
He was already terminated from Louisville for the 2017 violation and then again from La Salle for that allegation.

Because it was a repeat system failure by the school, maybe there will be further punishment against Louisville.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He was certainly around a lot of questionable stuff at Louisville, so played at least a minor role in it, but URI thinks they did their due diligence with all that and don’t expect it to be a problem. I can’t see it going in a bad way for him at this point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

11 am today

Honestly I'm worried if for no other reason than I can see him being the NCAA fall guy for Pitino
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Crap
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Injuries, academic issues, Redshirting, now this?
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What does that even mean? He can’t go watch recruiting events? He can’t reach out to players? If there’s a recruit on campus, he can’t talk to him? Isn’t that kind of his thing as an assistant? It was a risk to hire him, but they thought this was over. That’s a tough misjudgment, but I’ll wait to hear what the actual restrictions are.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Injuries, academic issues, Redshirting, now this?
Injuries always suck and are unfair. The other stuff is kind of calculated risk-taking. Harris and Johnson (and even Foumena if he ends up being a partial qualifier kind of redshirt) came with some red flags, they were just hoping they were more pink-ish and easily resolved.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I mean I assumed this was coming, but still entirely bullshit. How the hell do the assistants get punished but Pitino YET AGAIN goes unpunished? He must be the most unlucky head coach ever to constantly have assistants pull shit yet never have knowledge of the conduct taking place in his program. Pitino makes Colonel Klink look like the most vigilant person ever
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well that’s certainly not ideal! Definitely curious to hear more details on what it means.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In the locked thread someone mentioned this comes down on Archie and Thorr to an extent. I would love to know what changed or what they didn't know that made them think Johnson was in the clear while now he's getting dinged with a show cause
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Injuries, academic issues, Redshirting, now this?
Life as a Rhody fan summed up in one sentence…
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

man this is horrendous news
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... iarp-case/

"It was Johnson who was alleged to have helped influence former five-star prospect Brian Bowen's recruitment to Louisville in 2017. Bowen's father testified in federal court that Johnson arranged for a $1,300 payment. According to the IARP's findings, Johnson misled investigators during their probe, dating back to 2019. It was an aggravating factor in their decision to hand down the show-cause order."
1 x