Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I highly doubt there will be one for us to watch. My guess is we'll be getting a lot of quotes and tweets from the usual suspects with a small snippet on tonight's evening news
Why not broadcast? No link?
Seriously, how often is media availability like this broadcast? I wouldn't hate it, but it's just not done
I honestly don’t know. But I also expected that there was going to be a live broadcast based on all the early announcements being at 10am today.
If it’s only media invited then it could have been made clearer. When I read Bill Koch and Morey H talking about 10am several days in advance I’m thinking it’s going to be Facebook live or something. I want the only one thinking it would be live. Oh well.
Doesn’t matter since it all leaked out anyway.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Is it that hard to log into twitter and follow it that way?
Just follow Morey or Koch. They have all the quotes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Is it that hard to log into twitter and follow it that way?
Just follow Morey or Koch. They have all the quotes.
Not hard at all. Communication wasn’t clear to me as I thought it would be live at 10am.

But honestly, if you want to pull in fans and publicity and excitement it would have been nice to broadcast live.

Quotes on Twitter are just quotes on Twitter. Not the same as hearing straight and live from the Head Coach. Especially since most all the Twitter quotes were already leaked the past couple of days so little new news.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Koch is doing a good job providing quotes. Recommend following along.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Koch is doing a good job providing quotes. Recommend following along.
Crazy from a volume and frequency perspective how badly Koch is lapping KMac. Generational difference probably, but he’s also just a good tweeter even age adjusted - Will needs to work on his speed this offseason!
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

For shame... URI should know by now that KB should be getting all info first, or at least at the same time as the media. I don't understand why Arch isn't wearing a mic 24/7 with a cameraman following him around and livestreaming. C'mon Rhody! Know your customers! Sheesh....these April announcements need to be evaluated ASAP by this board...we can't be waiting a couple hours for this kind of info...
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It all leaked out anyway. Leaked is the right word as insiders are peeing themselves to be first to report. Or peed on me with the Twins to Arkansas. :oops: :oops:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago For shame... URI should know by now that KB should be getting all info first, or at least at the same time as the media. I don't understand why Arch isn't wearing a mic 24/7 with a cameraman following him around and livestreaming. C'mon Rhody! Know your customers! Sheesh....these April announcements need to be evaluated ASAP by this board...we can't be waiting a couple hours for this kind of info...
I don’t mean to infer KB. Just do it live for anyone to follow live. Simple.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Koch is doing a good job providing quotes. Recommend following along.
Crazy from a volume and frequency perspective how badly Koch is lapping KMac. Generational difference probably, but he’s also just a good tweeter even age adjusted - Will needs to work on his speed this offseason!
What does the winner get?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My respect and adoration
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Chicken dinner, obviously.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maybe just wishful thinking, but maybe this person isn't announced yet because he's giving TJ a chance to find another assistant position and if he doesn't get one he can take this position on staff?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe just wishful thinking, but maybe this person isn't announced yet because he's giving TJ a chance to find another assistant position and if he doesn't get one he can take this position on staff?
Good follow up question for the media in attendance.

Others questions:
When do you expect to fill this position by?
Would TJ Buchanan be a possible fit for a position like this?
Would the position be more for guards? Big men?
Would Jimmy Baron, Silk Owens, Kenny Green be possibilities for this position?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller
Kenny Johnson
Duane Woodward
Austin Carroll

Thoughts on our top staff ??
Going to wait until Archie makes the official announcement
Reef, now that it is official, I am extremely pleased.

Have heard nothing but excellent things about Woodward.
Aside from his skill in player development, his ability to recruit the Metro area is huge.
Also being the brother of a former Rhody stand-out, is a bonus.

Getting Johnson is a homerun.
He has been recognized as one of the top recruiters in the nation, especially strong ties to the DMV.

Archie is familiar with Austin and feels he is an up and comer.
Also a bridge between some of the holdovers and new players.
Austin is young and will be able to relate to the kids, also can recruit New England.

Bringing in Ben Sanders makes sense because of his relationship to the Millers.
Someone Archie can really trust.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

That second video above. It sounds like Austin Carroll might have had something to do with Archie deciding to come to Rhody as well. Nice job Austin, appreciate the kind words you said about Rhody to Miller. He could have easily torpedoed anything else that Archie may have heard, glad to hear he had positive things to say.

Excited about this staff. Will take time I think, but man, this program is in great hands. An impressive group of coaches!
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

According to the press release the school put out, his case will be heard in June. I wonder how long after that a decision will be made by the NCAA
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Excellent hire by Archie. Looking forward to the press conference tomorrow and recruiting news in the coming weeks. Let’s gooooooo! Get the season started, already!
Bud...calm down, we need the summer to last as long as possible.
My wife and daughters threatened to banish the dog and me from
the house for a few hours for being too giddy. :D

Thanks for bringing me to my senses, NYG.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago It all leaked out anyway. Leaked is the right word as insiders are peeing themselves to be first to report. Or peed on me with the Twins to Arkansas. :oops: :oops:
Twins are going to Ark? that would be a surprise to me. They look more Quinnipiac by my eye.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe just wishful thinking, but maybe this person isn't announced yet because he's giving TJ a chance to find another assistant position and if he doesn't get one he can take this position on staff?

Others questions:
Now a role like that - that's something that someone like a Jimmy Baron could fit into. Young enough. Played recently enough - and overseas. Great work ethic. Doesn't necessarily need the "coaching" pedigree as it doesn't sound like he'd be needing to recruit or gameplan - just work on what he knows. Being a player and preparing.

That said he's got a pretty sweet gig at IMG in Florida - not sure if he'd want to move his family back up here.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good staff Arch assembled for us

Who were some of the players Arch , Sean , Cooley and Austin coached on that U 19 team in 2015 ??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Others questions:
Now a role like that - that's something that someone like a Jimmy Baron could fit into. Young enough. Played recently enough - and overseas. Great work ethic. Doesn't necessarily need the "coaching" pedigree as it doesn't sound like he'd be needing to recruit or gameplan - just work on what he knows. Being a player and preparing.

That said he's got a pretty sweet gig at IMG in Florida - not sure if he'd want to move his family back up here.
Is Delroy still playing overseas? He's the one recent alumni who seems to love/miss the school the most. Always is posting about his Rhody days, and I recall he said something about coming back to work at Rhody "in any capacity" or something along those lines in his Rhody Vault interview.

This position seems like it would be a perfect entry level spot for him.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This is such a dramatic change from the previous staff. Archie is empowered to bring in proven coaches as well as retain legitimate up and comers like Austin. It's like going from a CYO staff to a Power 5 staff.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Others questions:

Is Delroy still playing overseas? He's the one recent alumni who seems to love/miss the school the most. Always is posting about his Rhody days, and I recall he said something about coming back to work at Rhody "in any capacity" or something along those lines in his Rhody Vault interview.

This position seems like it would be a perfect entry level spot for him.
Delroy was at the last home game this year.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

First of all, I was so busy with various life/work stuff this morning that I had no time to follow along and am catching up now. Thanks to all that posted various bits of info. I'm thrilled with these hires and the quotes Archie had. They are incredible and I agree with doing this with the long view in mind, using Transfers to "Stay old" - to supplement an existing recruiting base. This is awesome.

Second, to chime in on "who called Archie first" debate. I can play devil's advocate a bit in that, Goodman, Thamel, Rothstein, etc, all within a 30 min span tweeted rumors of Miller being the guy, but it was Thamel's tweet that seemed the most sure. All that said, they all could have gotten the same info from similar sources and posted at various times, so they could all have "called it first" in their minds if they didn't see the other tweets. But I'm also not media so there are "rules" to this in that you can't say you called it first if there's a tweet out there that proves otherwise. You can say you were "one of the first" which is true, otherwise, fair or not, you look like a liar or at least claiming something that isn't true.

In addition, no disrespect to ECR who has been confident that Miller was coming here early on, I believe it was Blue Man who first posted the "whispers" tweet from Jeff Borzello

that led to the Archie Miller fan club/conspiracy theory thread.

That tweet was on Feb 24th and Blue Man was right in thinking, you don't just randomly mention "whispers" out of the blue like that without at least some meat behind it. Now, I'm not going to go back through the history here and say one was first to mention Miller - ECR or BM, as I'm sure the two of them, plus several others had Archie on our wish list well before that and both were right up front with "willing it to happen."

All this is to say, Blue Man was the first one to post anything (that I can tell) that had at least a bit more than "wishful thinking" or pipe dream about it.

Again, no disrespect intended towards ECR who was sure Miller was coming - it's just that I also want to credit BM too.

Moving on, I am so excited - this Koch response in his Tweet thread really gives me goosebumps:

Finally,

This is the point of the year were now that the National Championship game is over, it becomes a ghost town here. I typically checkout historically at this point too, but am plugged in. I think that this offseason will continue to prove a more active KB - and that's a great thing!
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As far as Miller being mentioned on this site, I think STC might have been first in the Fire Cox thread.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As far as Miller being mentioned on this site, I think STC might have been first in the Fire Cox thread.

Went back and found this from 4 months ago….on the Fire Cox thread as you said, theblueram…….Page 1 of the 57 page Fire Cox thread..

STC wrote: 2 years ago Okay, so we're all ready to fire Cox, who we hiring?

I know just the man for the job...

Archie.jpeg
E31A9DA8-190B-48CB-B163-2D7B9FA69561.jpeg
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Then in the FIRE COX thread on Page 2 of 57, 4 months ago see below…..pretty impressive STC

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’m probably talking myself into Archie with this post but, not only do I think Miller would come here, I think it could be a long term match for both URI and Miller. Archie secured a $10.3M buyout from IU at the time of his firing so he doesn’t need to chase a P5 pay day. Additionally, both Archie and his brother were unceremoniously fired at P5 schools, so I’m not sure the P5 gig holds the allure to Archie that it may to another coach, especially since he has already secured the bag.

I would liken this scenario to what we saw with Travis Ford going UMass>Ok State>St Louis. Seemingly up and coming coach parlays A10 success into a P5 gig, underwhelms at P5, returns to A10 and has success.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Who is the Strength & Conditioning coach that is going to lead the S&C effort over the next 3-4 weeks?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Who is the Strength & Conditioning coach that is going to lead the S&C effort over the next 3-4 weeks?
Good question. I’d assume it’s Dan Apodaca but could change

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/inf ... index.aspx
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Good question. I’d assume it’s Dan Apodaca but could change

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/inf ... index.aspx
Dan Apodaca = Archie's clone
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As far as Miller being mentioned on this site, I think STC might have been first in the Fire Cox thread.

Went back and found this from 4 months ago….on the Fire Cox thread as you said, theblueram…….Page 1 of the 57 page Fire Cox thread..

Archie.jpeg
Bravo to blueman for the memory and ramster for digging up the posts - and of course to STC for first saying Archie and leading us down this path from pipe dream to reality!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why wasn’t Dan Apodaca mentioned today?

He is on the floor participating in the practice being run by Archie a few days ago. He is the guy who looks a little like Archie.

Is he officially part of the Athletic Department staff and not MBB?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Why wasn’t Dan Apodaca mentioned today?

He is on the floor participating in the practice being run by Archie a few days ago. He is the guy who looks a little like Archie.

He's a strength and conditioning guy, no?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is the way it looks. It was this way for David Cox

I’ve seen the players working out in the weight room along with other teams together.

Maybe changes in the future
045A7614-B73F-4F66-8211-1EE1662C779F.png
8A2D6D3F-B3E5-43AF-B1C9-E0263FDBEBC6.png
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I believe Strength and Conditioning is a separate department, yeah. Apodaca presumably works with both men's and women's programs, as does Sam Greenfield. I think Archie still gets to hire a coach who's focused more on skills development. (i.e. A guy to work on post moves with players, vs. teaching them how to eat and to plan a proper diet.)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I believe Strength and Conditioning is a separate department, yeah. Apodaca presumably works with both men's and women's programs, as does Sam Greenfield. I think Archie still gets to hire a coach who's focused more on skills development. (i.e. A guy to work on post moves with players, vs. teaching them how to eat and to plan a proper diet.)
But it hasn’t been that way as Daniel Anthony was the guy up until this 2021-2022 season.

83 raises a good question as to what changed and could more changes take place down the line. Also question as to where the salary fits in now.

Daniel Anthony left for Pittsburgh. His position wasn’t filled for 2021-2022 on the URI Basketball Coaching Staff

Below is URI staff for 2020-2021, and Pittsburgh Staff for this year.
594E425D-BB5A-4547-9E9F-A6178D440124.png
47153876-2F61-4EBB-8D14-7D58E97C5D9F.png
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Did I hear someone mention Delroy.

He played in Argentina this year.

1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Archie.jpeg
Bravo to blueman for the memory and ramster for digging up the posts - and of course to STC for first saying Archie and leading us down this path from pipe dream to reality!
Eyyy thanks guys for the shout out. I'm used to being called out for my freezing cold takes so this is a nice change of pace. If there was ever a take I wanted to be right about, this was the one.
9 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am a fan of Kenny Green for that last coach. He could work with the big kids and get his foot in the door coaching. Next would be Silk because he has been out of coaching for a bit and wouldn’t be insulted by being offered this job. Tyson would probably consider it a downward move. My last choice would be Preston Murphy because it may be loophole around his 2 year show cause. He wouldn’t be recruiting in this position
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Really liked what I heard from Archie during his press conference. The staff seems very solid. Aside from the Dan Hurley era, I haven’t been this excited for URI basketball since ‘98.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is Lamar still looking for a job? J/K!
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Found this little interesting tidbit about Kenny Johnson being responsible for recruiting Stanford Robinson to Indiana. Yes quite a few years ago but found it interesting with the Rhody connection now.

http://vigilantsports.com/stanford-robi ... o-indiana/
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Someone saying that the recruiters Archie has here are better than the ones he had at IU, better than Ostrom.
3 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Talking to Silk everyday and he would kill for this. Kenny too. Let’s make some noise. How good would it be for Silk to build ish and Bassy’s games.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Others questions:

He does development at IMG - usually the ties to a big place like that would mean recruiting cache. Recruiting with his development experience look like a strong coaching resume. Throw in that he developed one of the best shots on his own and battled overseas. He will probably go as far as he wants in coaching.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry