The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Durugordon
Durugordon is a wing and listed between 6'5"-6'7".

I think Archie is probably in contact with some bigs, but just not leaked out yet.
Probably?
Okay, yes he is.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All these guards/point guards talk makes me almost believe the twins will be back.
0 x
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago All these guards/point guards talk makes me almost believe the twins will be back.
I think not...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago All these guards/point guards talk makes me almost believe the twins will be back.
Oh no, oh no…..not that
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

People shouldn't forget Archie went to the Elite 8 playing 6 guys with not 1 of them over 6'7".
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago People shouldn't forget Archie went to the Elite 8 playing 6 guys with not 1 of them over 6'7".
That’s the exception not the norm though I’d think.

Look at the final four teams and the title teams, all have very talented big guys.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago People shouldn't forget Archie went to the Elite 8 playing 6 guys with not 1 of them over 6'7".

Look at the final four teams and the title teams, all have very talented big guys.
Of course...but it's also a telling aspect of how he views roster construction and what he values. I am sure he will find some bigs but he likely puts more emphasis and value in bucket getters and ball handlers.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BAR not entirely true.

Dayton had 9 players averaging double-digit minutes, also in the Sweet 16 game.
Matt Kavanaugh was a starter that season and he is 6'10".
Also Devon Scott at 6'9" averaged over 12 minutes.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea we need size. The game is reverting back to a balanced attack again.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

BAR not entirely true.

You are right, it was his sweet sixteen team the year after that beat PC that had no bench and no size.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Yea we need size. The game is reverting back to a balanced attack again.
What do ya mean?

Nova is basically the gold standard of the modern game and they have played with maybe 1 good big who gets minutes for their entire decade long run. You can win with a lot of good guards and wings with 1 rim protector/rebounder.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

BAR not entirely true.

You are right, it was his sweet sixteen team the year after that beat PC that had no bench and no size.
Dayton lost to Oklahoma 72-66 after beating Pc had to look them up as I didn’t think they made the S16 wish they had though
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Yea we need size. The game is reverting back to a balanced attack again.
What do ya mean?

Nova is basically the gold standard of the modern game and they have played with maybe 1 good big who gets minutes for their entire decade long run. You can win with a lot of good guards and wings with 1 rim protector/rebounder.
Yea they seem to be an anomaly these days though. Most good teams have an established big man game. I’ve noticed more back to the basket the last 2-3 years. IMO
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I mean each of the teams in this game have 1 serviceable big.
I don’t think the modern game is making a back to basket big the focal point of the offense. That’s more an anomaly. Look at Pc, it wasn’t Watson that made them better this year it was Durham, Bynum, Minaya and Horchler. Guards and wings. Stretch 4s are hugely valuable. A Rim protector and rebounder surrounded by dynamic guards and wings would be my wish.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think the bigs were more than serviceable tonight lol. Great game.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

BAR not entirely true.

The elite 8 team had 4 players 6'9 and up

It was the next year where they had to expel their two bigs Robinson and Scott, won the play in game and the first round against PeePee.

Ol Kendall Pollard, Dyshawn Pierre and that walk on Bobby Wehrli at 6'6 being their biggest guys.

That was the team that cemented Archie as a great one.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea what killed Rhody in 18' vs duke? Size.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Yea what killed Rhody in 18' vs duke? Size.
If my memory serves correct, two other 2 seeds lost in the second round that tournament. Had we been matched up with any other 2 seed, we would've had a great chance to advance.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I think the bigs were more than serviceable tonight lol. Great game.
I mean Bacot went down and they had to put Manek a stretch 4 on McCormack and Self went right at that matchup for the win. If UNC and Kansas don’t have more than 1 playable big I’m not sure why ppl would expect an A10 program to.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Yea what killed Rhody in 18' vs duke? Size.
That Duke team was an anomaly in how big they were and there isn’t a Rhody team in our history that could have matched up with that. Not sure that’s a realistic team to be building an A10 roster to match up with it’s just not gonna happen. There are very few good bigs in general, and the really good ones go P5. Couple that with the transfer epidemic and to expect us to have multiple bigs that can play is a pipe dream IMO. We need 1 that I agree with but backups will be gravy.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Some of the best guard play in the NCAAT.
Do any follow Holloway to SH?

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I think the bigs were more than serviceable tonight lol. Great game.
I mean Bacot went down and they had to put Manek a stretch 4 on McCormack and Self went right at that matchup for the win. If UNC and Kansas don’t have more than 1 playable big I’m not sure why ppl would expect an A10 program to.
I agree with your premise, but not to be lost is that of the 7 guys that North Carolina played last night, 5 of the 7 are 6'8 or taller. It obviously depends on the style of play, but length and versatility are important for most systems.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
I agree with your premise, but not to be lost is that of the 7 guys that North Carolina played last night, 5 of the 7 are 6'8 or taller. It obviously depends on the style of play, but length and versatility are important for most systems.
Agree Bos on length. Thinking of the Delroy, Ulmer, Cothran team…not necessarily filled with “bigs” but those three had length and athleticism that enabled us to play with someone like Jason Francis at C or big Will. I’m only countering the notion that Archie needs to get multiple “bigs” aka traditional 5 men. Not gonna happen. 1 playable one, 1 break glass in emergency guy, and if coupled with good length at 1-4 positions that can easily work. And has worked. Lest we forget Hassan Martin was the C on a very good team in 16-17. But we had Kuran and big guards EC and JT around him.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The past two years, we've also had three average to above-average frontcourt players, and it didn't matter because our guards were awful. We can worry about big men once we have more talent in the backcourt and at the wings. At the college level, I'd always rather have great guards vs. great big men, if I have to pick between the two. (And with Miller, I don't really think he has to pick - I imagine he'll be recruiting both aggressively.)
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Agree Bos on length. Thinking of the Delroy, Ulmer, Cothran team…not necessarily filled with “bigs” but those three had length and athleticism that enabled us to play with someone like Jason Francis at C or big Will. I’m only countering the notion that Archie needs to get multiple “bigs” aka traditional 5 men. Not gonna happen. 1 playable one, 1 break glass in emergency guy, and if coupled with good length at 1-4 positions that can easily work. And has worked. Lest we forget Hassan Martin was the C on a very good team in 16-17. But we had Kuran and big guards EC and JT around him.
Length and size are great - but who's coaching them is far more important.

Cox's team 2 years ago was all size. Last year's team had 3 guys 6'7 or more. How were they used?

Square pegs in round holes. Mitchell isn't a 4 but he was forced there. Both of them were on the floor at the same time - it clogged everything up offensively. Walker wasn't used properly.

Baron had long teams. Again - everyone was playing iso ball. No clear outs. Screens were run with no movement underneath so it didn't give a shooter the option to drive.

You could have all the best bigs but if you don't know how to play them in certain spots/situations and move them around the floor - it doesn't matter.

Coaching is the most important piece in college basketball. It's why they get paid so much.

A great coach with 1 big vs a bad coach with 3 bigs - give me the great coach every time.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Length and size are great - but who's coaching them is far more important.

Cox's team 2 years ago was all size. Last year's team had 3 guys 6'7 or more. How were they used?

Square pegs in round holes. Mitchell isn't a 4 but he was forced there. Both of them were on the floor at the same time - it clogged everything up offensively. Walker wasn't used properly.

Baron had long teams. Again - everyone was playing iso ball. No clear outs. Screens were run with no movement underneath so it didn't give a shooter the option to drive.

You could have all the best bigs but if you don't know how to play them in certain spots/situations and move them around the floor - it doesn't matter.

Coaching is the most important piece in college basketball. It's why they get paid so much.

A great coach with 1 big vs a bad coach with 3 bigs - give me the great coach every time.
Agree 1,000,000% and don’t think Archie is looking for bigs as much as looking for dudes. He knows you gotta be able to rebound, block shots and score inside to win. I mean we are weeks removed from starting 2 guys legit 6’10 and beefy…by all regards they are “bigs” and we stunk.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago The past two years, we've also had three average to above-average frontcourt players, and it didn't matter because our guards were awful. We can worry about big men once we have more talent in the backcourt and at the wings. At the college level, I'd always rather have great guards vs. great big men, if I have to pick between the two. (And with Miller, I don't really think he has to pick - I imagine he'll be recruiting both aggressively.)
100% on the guards and wings. That is how you win in college basketball. Once you shooters and distributors you can get big guys to fall around them.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Throwing the ball into the post is a simple concept on paper. But making a "simple" entry pass is much more difficult when being pressed up on by a long, athletic defender like Delroy, Cothran or Stan.
Last edited by Bos8 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I guess in my opinion, the way to beat more talented teams is to be more balanced. Rarely will our guards (or forwards) be as talented as a top 10 team, so having a inside-outside attack can help.

That 18' team had a backcourt that could absolutely compete with dukes. The frontcourt got annihilated. Dan even went with Berry and Langevine at the same time to try to help.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think some people might be letting one game overwhelm their senses here. Duke didn't win the championship that year - they weren't some unstoppable juggernaut with Carter and Bagley. Those guys beat the crap out of us because they both played incredibly well, but throughout the year they were inconsistent. The next game, they beat Syracuse by four, and then lost in OT to a Kansas squad that had one seven footer, but otherwise played a line-up of rangy wings.
Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed it from a direct response to another poster, to a more general one, because I realized it wasn't an argument he was directly making.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I think some people might be letting one game overwhelm their senses here. Duke didn't win the championship that year - they weren't some unstoppable juggernaut with Carter and Bagley. Those guys beat the crap out of us because they both played incredibly well, but throughout the year they were inconsistent. The next game, they beat Syracuse by four, and then lost in OT to a Kansas squad that had one seven footer, but otherwise played a line-up of rangy wings.
EC was the only dude who brought it on the entire team while Cyril and Berry were completely overmatched.

Just the worst match up.

We'll need better than a sophomore Cyril and immobile Berry in the future if we wanna beat anybody like that.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

There are definitely more than one or two ways to win. If you want to get two or three NBA guards with an awesome NBA wing (Bridges), then sure Villanova can get away with Ochefu (by the way, also played in the NBA). Or Spellman/Paschall a few years later. As for UNC, they weren't in the tournament 40 days ago and Bacot was maybe the best player in the ACC. And they still needed some pretty good matchups without any great bigs to get to the final game. You can absolutely play that four or five out game but I think it's harder and harder since A. everyone wants the same guys and B. they keep moving back the line. 21-22 was the worst three point % in D1 in a long time. I'd rather have a great lead guard, three switchable guard/wings, then a few bigs that can score or at least rebound/block shots. I don't know how many time McCormack touched it last night but it seemed like it was every single possession at least once. Basketball is coming to a hybrid of the Curry era and traditional game. Would rather be ahead of the curve than behind it. It's like the 2018 Patriots. Everyone is getting these nickel and dime guys out there and LBs that are smaller. They ran 50x against the Chiefs in the AFC title game.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I feel like we are going to extremes. Are we comparing ourselves to Kansas and North Carolina? Coach Self has always been a coach who relies on size with his high low offense. And at Kansas... he can really recruit to whatever system he wants and still bring in top talent.

But what about the other end of the spectrum- What about St. Peter's? I watched them go to the Elite 8 this year... How many tradition "bigs" did they start? How many guys above 6'7 did they have on their roster? Purdue was HUGE, and is known for having a 7'2+ big each and every year. In addition to Edey they had a stud "bruiser" in 6'10 265lbs Trevion Williams.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago I feel like we are going to extremes. Are we comparing ourselves to Kansas and North Carolina? Coach Self has always been a coach who relies on size with his high low offense. And at Kansas... he can really recruit to whatever system he wants and still bring in top talent.

But what about the other end of the spectrum- What about St. Peter's? I watched them go to the Elite 8 this year... How many tradition "bigs" did they start? How many guys above 6'7 did they have on their roster? Purdue was HUGE, and is known for having a 7'2+ big each and every year. In addition to Edey they had a stud "bruiser" in 6'10 265lbs Trevion Williams.
You can probably play the tournament out 100 times with all the teams who were, say, between #100-200 in the country (that didn't make the tournament) and some will make the Elite 8. The danger is saying "Hey, that's the way we can do it!". If Saint Peter's season started from February again, they make the E8 maybe one out of 250 times. The question what is the most likely path for URI. One very good guard (all league or better) and one very good big (all league or better) has been on almost every good URI team. Surround them and get lucky with complementary players. Now, getting them is easier said than done. If Archie falls into 4 very good guards and no front court help, well, hit the portal.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is a guard to keep an eye on.
Started at Clemson and averaged 11.3 pts/ 40% 3PT.
He is from Newark, NJ and was a 4* top 100 recruit.
Will have 2 years eligibility.
Was heavily recruited by Seton Hall, Rutgers, PC.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Any particular reason to keep an eye on them? I'm not seeing an obvious connection with us
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Any particular reason to keep an eye on them? I'm not seeing an obvious connection with us
Duane Woodward connection at Seton Hall when they were recruiting him hard.
He was a local kid from Newark, Duane recruiting the Metro area.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good point about Duane, still getting used to our new staff
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Any particular reason to keep an eye on them? I'm not seeing an obvious connection with us
We actually recruited him here. I just bumped up his thread in the Recruiting section.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
We actually recruited him here. I just bumped up his thread in the Recruiting section.
My thinking is SH or UConn.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The awesome Rhody Vault twitter handle has breaking transfer news apparently coming soon …
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let’s go !
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is going to be a great offseason!!!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago This is going to be a great offseason!!!!
It already is
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

How is he still not on here would fit in perfectly
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I can also confirm with 100% certainty that we will be getting a transfer. See now I broke the news! :lol:
7 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I have inside scoop, that is verified by a good source. We are getting MORE THAN ONE transfer. :)
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago I have inside scoop, that is verified by a good source. We are getting MORE THAN ONE transfer. :)
Tomorrow????
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago I have inside scoop, that is verified by a good source. We are getting MORE THAN ONE transfer. :)
Actually... "several"...which is even more than MORE THAN ONE 👍
1 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The awesome Rhody Vault twitter handle has breaking transfer news apparently coming soon …
Saw that...didn't know if he that meant the Vault knows something already or just telling us that it is the spot for future news.

Hope there is news to be broken soon!!! Getting anxious for Archie's first move
0 x