Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Yes, people don’t trust Archie and are generally down on the hire. That’s definitely the sense that I get from reading the board.

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn’t it just the one person being typically negative?
Umm I’m not making it up. People we’re questioning why we kept Austin. Ask Ramster… I’m sure he’ll agree with me
It was that one person being negative and like two others asking legitimate questions.
Ok? So I can’t say to trust Archie to the people questioning it? I’m confused on what your issue is here?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Umm I’m not making it up. People we’re questioning why we kept Austin. Ask Ramster… I’m sure he’ll agree with me
It was that one person being negative and like two others asking legitimate questions.
Ok? So I can’t say to trust Archie to the people questioning it? I’m confused on what your issue is here?
You can say whatever you want. Or you can just PM him. Everybody here trusts Archie. A lot. A WHOLE lot. He’s earned that. If every answer is going to be trust Archie, though, what the heck is everyone going to talk about?
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You can say whatever you want. Or you can just PM him. Everybody here trusts Archie. A lot. A WHOLE lot. He’s earned that. If every answer is going to be trust Archie, though, what the heck is everyone going to talk about?
Exactly. I’ll say what I want. Thanks for the tip about the PM!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When Jim Harrick asked Jerry D why should I hire you he responded "because I will have your back". Would T J have Archie's back? Would Austin? I'm sure Sean told Archie that he could trust Austin.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Ace it sounds like you are a little suspect of this hire. I know I spoke out against Lasalle hiring him before and if I recall correctly, you were fully supportive of that hire so a little surprised four years later you are sounding a different tune.

I have watched quite a few videos of Kenny Johnson, and I have to say I am quite impressed with the way he comes across. This is a long video, but I found it very interesting to watch. This was done in November of 2020 and talks about him becoming the new coach of National Christian Academy, and about his background and coaching philosophy.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Ace it sounds like you are a little suspect of this hire. I know I spoke out against Lasalle hiring him before and if I recall correctly, you were fully supportive of that hire so a little surprised four years later you are sounding a different tune.

I have watched quite a few videos of Kenny Johnson, and I have to say I am quite impressed with the way he comes across. This is a long video, but I found it very interesting to watch. This was done in November of 2020 and talks about him becoming the new coach of National Christian Academy, and about his background and coaching philosophy.

Suspect? No, I don’t think so. I also don’t remember having an opinion on him going to La Salle, but there’s definitely a chance I did and there’s been more information since his hiring. I think there’s so much grey area that I don’t have an especially strong opinion either way, especially for Rhody. If I had a specific ride or die team that made this hire, I think I’d fall somewhere around, was this really necessary? Just like a nagging feeling that I would probably get over eventually.
1 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

In Nola for Final Four, all the coaches are presents for their Convention but new coaches such as Miller don’t make the trip because they would be harassed for jobs. T
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Yes, people don’t trust Archie and are generally down on the hire. That’s definitely the sense that I get from reading the board.

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn’t it just the one person being typically negative?
You should know by now that this board gets its energy from hate and conflict. The 24 hours of peace after Archie’s hiring was an aberration.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago When Jim Harrick asked Jerry D why should I hire you he responded "because I will have your back". Would T J have Archie's back? Would Austin? I'm sure Sean told Archie that he could trust Austin.
He also told him he could deliver Lamar Odom and the Long Island Panthers. He delivered. Seems so long ago.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn't it just the one person being typically negative?
You should know by now that this board gets its energy from hate and conflict. The 24 hours of peace after Archie's hiring was an aberration.
I beg to differ. I think the board is the best it's been in years. When things are down like the last two seasons, a place like this can get hostile. When you have a poster like DC Rams, things can get personal. We now have great discussions about recruits, transfers, coaching staff, upgrades to the program, the women's team, the NCAA tournament, our schedule, Thorr, Parlange, former players, A10 teams, and our savior Archie Miller. We have fantastic podcasts like Rhody Baseline and content like Scott Brand and Rhody Vault.

I see a positive message board that is very excited for things to come... Obviously nothing is perfect, but I'm proud to be a part of the Keaneyblue message board!!!
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn't it just the one person being typically negative?
You should know by now that this board gets its energy from hate and conflict. The 24 hours of peace after Archie's hiring was an aberration.
I beg to differ. I think the board is the best it's been in years. When things are down like the last two seasons, a place like this can get hostile. When you have a poster like DC Rams, things can get personal. We now have great discussions about recruits, transfers, coaching staff, upgrades to the program, the women's team, the NCAA tournament, our schedule, Thorr, Parlange, former players, A10 teams, and our savior Archie Miller. We have fantastic podcasts like Rhody Baseline and content like Scott Brand and Rhody Vault.

I see a positive message board that is very excited for things to come... Obviously nothing is perfect, but I'm proud to be a part of the Keaneyblue message board!!!
100% Stevey. I remember when we were deciding on the name of this board. We decided the best name for sure.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t insult Ramster!

He’ll call you a PC fan and that you can’t comprehend what he’s posting!

Rhody15,

From Page 3 of this thread copied below for you is my response to steveystuds06 regarding the Austin Carroll hire where I endorsed his opinion of Austin.
I’ve been impressed with Austin since I first met him at his 1st Season Ticket Holder Event. Also very impressed with his dad.

I don’t think stevey was “insulting” me as a poster who complained about Austin in the past since I don’t recall ever complaining about him. Been just the opposite since Austin arrived in Kingston.

Am I missing something Stevey?

steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.

I was not trying to insult you Ramster. My bad if it came off that way…Ramster and I were one of the few that liked keeping Austin on and some people overreacted and were complaining that he couldn’t recruit. I was just reminding those people to trust Archie.

Stevey,
Didn't think you were at all. We were in complete agreement on Austin just a couple pages earlier in this same thread. I've liked Austin and his Dad since they arrived in Kingston. We agree, and even when we don't we shouldn't expect everyone to agree on this board anyway - what fun would that be? Thanks
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Ace it sounds like you are a little suspect of this hire. I know I spoke out against Lasalle hiring him before and if I recall correctly, you were fully supportive of that hire so a little surprised four years later you are sounding a different tune.

Wow Skerry gave him his start in college coaching at Towson maybe he had some good things to say about URI
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Don’t insult Ramster!

He’ll call you a PC fan and that you can’t comprehend what he’s posting!

Rhody15,

From Page 3 of this thread copied below for you is my response to steveystuds06 regarding the Austin Carroll hire where I endorsed his opinion of Austin.
I’ve been impressed with Austin since I first met him at his 1st Season Ticket Holder Event. Also very impressed with his dad.

I don’t think stevey was “insulting” me as a poster who complained about Austin in the past since I don’t recall ever complaining about him. Been just the opposite since Austin arrived in Kingston.

steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.

I was not trying to insult you Ramster. My bad if it came off that way…Ramster and I were one of the few that liked keeping Austin on and some people overreacted and were complaining that he couldn’t recruit. I was just reminding those people to trust Archie.
Stevey I asked if he could recruit. So far, not really. I didn't say he shouldn't be hired. Just questioned how he will help. No one answered that question. It's all good. Don't get worked up about it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Rhody15,

[/color][/i]
Stevey I asked if he could recruit. So far, not really. I didn't say he shouldn't be hired. Just questioned how he will help. No one answered that question. It's all good. Don't get worked up about it.
I agree. It’s all good… I don’t know why me saying trust Archie bothered someone but I don’t know a lot of things. I understand your question about Austin because he hasn’t proven to be a recruiter yet. I just really liked him when we met. Anyways, I’m moving on.

Go Rhody!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Archie Miller
Kenny Johnson
Duane Woodward
Austin Carroll

Thoughts on our top staff ??
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller
Kenny Johnson
Duane Woodward
Austin Carroll

Thoughts on our top staff ??
Going to wait until Archie makes the official announcement
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

"Transfers"? Cause that's what it's all about at this point...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Still only that one twitter post on K. Johnson. We'll see.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago So beyond the tweet and the picture, do we know for sure that Kenny is coming? As far as I know he is still at the high school. I'll ask around today...
Bos, did you hear anything?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Still only that one twitter post on K. Johnson. We'll see.
Thorr said Archie wants to announce all the assistants together in a week or two... Maybe they are still trying to find a 3rd assistant and Austin will be in an admin role? Who knows...I'm completely guessing. I don't see why Johnson would be at our practice if he weren't on the staff.. That was him in that picture. It'll likely be announced this week.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Still only that one twitter post on K. Johnson. We'll see.
Thorr said Archie wants to announce all the assistants together in a week or two... Maybe they are still trying to find a 3rd assistant and Austin will be in an admin role? Who knows...I'm completely guessing. I don't see why Johnson would be at our practice if he weren't on the staff.. That was him in that picture. It'll likely be announced this week.
True Stevey, that is why I didn't want to comment on the group as a whole until everything is finalized and made official.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago So beyond the tweet and the picture, do we know for sure that Kenny is coming? As far as I know he is still at the high school. I'll ask around today...
Bos, did you hear anything?
Wasn't able to get confirmation. Didn't have much to say either way. Seems like things are pointing in that direction, but you never know.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Assistants aren't on the payroll til June 1. For some it doesn't make financial sense to leave their current jobs.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This is the weird time of year when assistants may or may not be living at the South Kingstown Hampton Inn and working in an unofficial capacity until the new fiscal year.

Luke Murray famously(?) was one fairly recent assistant to do so.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago This is the weird time of year when assistants may or may not be living at the South Kingstown Hampton Inn and working in an unofficial capacity until the new fiscal year.

So what you're saying is that one of us needs to go undercover at the Hampton Inn, or, we need to recruit a staff member from there as a mole? ;) Oddly enough, I used to know two people who worked there, but only as friends-of-friends.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago This is the weird time of year when assistants may or may not be living at the South Kingstown Hampton Inn and working in an unofficial capacity until the new fiscal year.

There was a more recent assistant who had a rental home in Ri while being on his old schools payroll until the fiscal year kicked in and the hire was official...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS just announced 2 Assistants joint Martin from his staff at South Carolina

How is announcing not a problem for UMASS? Seems odd to keep it a secret til June.

https://umassathletics.com/news/2022/4/ ... staff.aspx
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago UMASS just announced 2 Assistants joint Martin from his staff at South Carolina

How is announcing not a problem for UMASS? Seems odd to keep it a secret til June.

Can’t say I know the answer, and also not sure how much it really matters. But (a) if Martin’s guys were on his staff at SCAR then my guess is they were also terminated so they aren’t getting paid anywhere else that would prevent them from officially starting there (taking Iggy’s comment above under advisement here), and (b) it’s been reported that Archie wants to announce the entire staff at once, and if that’s true then even one guy being held up as far as an official announcement would prevent any staff-related announcement for now.

Are we worried that we won’t end up having a staff? Or is this just run of the mill impatience? Because impatience I understand, but I also don’t think fans’ impatience alone is a good reason to do something other than what they want to do as far staff announcements.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Archie has said that he planned to take about a month to a month and a half to get his full staff. That would put it somewhere between mid-April and the first week of May. I know Thorr last week said a week or two, but I'm trusting Archie's time line on this one.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Archie has said that he planned to take about a month to a month and a half to get his full staff. That would put it somewhere between mid-April and the first week of May. I know Thorr last week said a week or two, but I'm trusting Archie's time line on this one.
I have a feeling we will hear something soon.
I also think they are probably already working behind the scenes and recruiting.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This would be so much easier if they'd just build the on-campus hotel already...
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago UMASS just announced 2 Assistants joint Martin from his staff at South Carolina

Can’t say I know the answer, and also not sure how much it really matters. But (a) if Martin’s guys were on his staff at SCAR then my guess is they were also terminated so they aren’t getting paid anywhere else that would prevent them from officially starting there (taking Iggy’s comment above under advisement here), and (b) it’s been reported that Archie wants to announce the entire staff at once, and if that’s true then even one guy being held up as far as an official announcement would prevent any staff-related announcement for now.

Are we worried that we won’t end up having a staff? Or is this just run of the mill impatience? Because impatience I understand, but I also don’t think fans’ impatience alone is a good reason to do something other than what they want to do as far staff announcements.
Doesn’t matter to me. I’m just for letting the HC hire who he wants
Just seems odd to me talk about hiding potential Assistants at the Hampton Inn.
Didn’t know this secrecy was happening now or in the past. Odd.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Archie has said that he planned to take about a month to a month and a half to get his full staff. That would put it somewhere between mid-April and the first week of May. I know Thorr last week said a week or two, but I'm trusting Archie's time line on this one.
I have a feeling we will hear something soon.
I also think they are probably already working behind the scenes and recruiting.
That’s what I am hoping is happening too and just waiting for it to become official
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Sweet!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Well, that's that, ha. It's like they can read the minds of the fan base right now, and just give us what we want.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Well, that's that, ha. It's like they can read the minds of the fan base right now, and just give us what we want.
Heck yeah great news !! Hopefully the live presser will be in you tube ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is it the three we think? Or will there be a surprise?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
They lurk here!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Is it the three we think? Or will there be a surprise?
The only question mark is Kenny Johnson I think. Woodward already changed his Twitter header.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I expect transfers news will increase now that the season is officially over. Exciting stuff.
3 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Is it the three we think? Or will there be a surprise?
The only question mark is Kenny Johnson I think. Woodward already changed his Twitter header.
Yes, Woodward is confirmed, and I guess Austin is confirmed? The question is Johnson. I'm pretty sure he's the 3rd. Also curious to see who DBO, strength coach, etc. are.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As expected

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

As expected

Don’t really wanna take the time to look, so I could be completely 100% wrong, but I highly doubt Rhody Vault tweeted the Archie news before Pete Thamel.

Also, there was that one tweet a week ago that originally said Johnson would be coming aboard here before any other person/account tweeted it.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

As expected

Don’t really wanna take the time to look, so I could be completely 100% wrong, but I highly doubt Rhody Vault tweeted the Archie news before Pete Thamel.

Also, there was that one tweet a week ago that originally said Johnson would be coming aboard here before any other person/account tweeted it.
Yeah, this person seems to be trying to manufacture credibility to help build a social media following
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

As expected

Yeah, this person seems to be trying to manufacture credibility to help build a social media following
Is Rhody Vault ECR?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Honestly, that account/person has done more on twitter to promote rhody's history than our own athletic department...he's doing Gods work so I could care less what claims he wants to make. If you haven't seen his stuff he's interviewed all the greats - Kenny, Silk, Tommy, Tyson, Delroy, Penders and more.
Last edited by bigappleram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Honestly, that account/person has done more on twitter to promote rhody's history than our own athletic department...he's doing Gods work so I could care less what claims he wants to make. If you haven't seen his stuff he's interviewed all the great - Kenny, Silk, Tommy, Tyson, Delroy, Penders and more.
Absolutely. Loved his stuff.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He is doing a great job for sure, but this new move of trying to pretend he should get credit for breaking news thats been out there already is a bad look in my opinion. Just loses credibility rather than what he is going for. It doesn't take away from all of the other great content he is churning out either though.
6 x