The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago My god some of you are insufferable. Debate is 1 thing but just shitposting is another. Blue you ever heard of Yuri Collins? First team all A10 PG. Can’t shoot a lick career 32% from 3. But he does a myriad of other things really well. A team is a sum of the parts. Archie knows how to cast a good team. If he wants Toussaint or Lander there is a reason. This is a transition year and these are transfers. Here’s a newsflash we aren’t going to sign a P5 kid who averaged 20 on a 50/40/90 slash line.
You are missing the point . The point was IF we signed BOTH of the players in question as some suggested, we'd have 4 short guards none of which could shoot well - 3 of which are under Yuri's 32%. Read clearly before you spin up. You are better than that.
Nope the point is Archie Miller knows more about roster construction than you do. That’s the point. If he wants em both so be it; if he’s pursuing both to land 1 that works too.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago My god some of you are insufferable. Debate is 1 thing but just shitposting is another. Blue you ever heard of Yuri Collins? First team all A10 PG. Can’t shoot a lick career 32% from 3. But he does a myriad of other things really well. A team is a sum of the parts. Archie knows how to cast a good team. If he wants Toussaint or Lander there is a reason. This is a transition year and these are transfers. Here’s a newsflash we aren’t going to sign a P5 kid who averaged 20 on a 50/40/90 slash line.
You are missing the point . The point was IF we signed BOTH of the players in question as some suggested, we'd have 4 short guards none of which could shoot well - 3 of which are under Yuri's 32%. Read clearly before you spin up. You are better than that.
I think if we sign both, Thomas is playing mop-up minutes and somewhat irrelevant. Plenty of minutes for Lander and Toussaint to split at the 1, and since plenty of A-10 teams play three and sometimes four guards, that's why I'm more bullish on the ability to play both. Shooting from range would be an issue, but I think they have the athletic pedigree to get to the rim. It's one of those "sign both and figure it out later" problems, given how in flux the rest of the roster is.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I think if we sign both, Thomas is playing mop-up minutes and somewhat irrelevant. Plenty of minutes for Lander and Toussaint to split at the 1, and since plenty of A-10 teams play three and sometimes four guards, that's why I'm more bullish on the ability to play both. Shooting from range would be an issue, but I think they have the athletic pedigree to get to the rim. It's one of those "sign both and figure it out later" problems, given how in flux the rest of the roster is.
This is correct. That's why I think Archie brings in two lead guards. It might not be these two but he should bring in two. Thomas is the third point guard. Thomas can't be one injury away from running the show. Onward and Upward.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just have a feeling the first one who commits then the other one may not cuz they may want to be the man somewhere else
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We need shooters too...... Today's game stresses the 3 point shot.. we were one of the worst at it in the country. Only one way but up in that area. Plenty of open spots to try to address it.. ft shooters too...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What cracks me up is that we had two good shooters in our starting lineup last year in Shep and EA. But, they couldn't do anything because they were locked up most of the time. All anyone cares about on here is if a guard can shoot. We need guards that can create. We need guards that can break down the defense and get guys around him open shots. We need guards that lock players up. We need guards that are leaders... I keep repeating it, but there is a reason a below-average point guard like Thomas stood out so much last year.

Schooie Smith shot 27% from 3 on the season when they went to the elite 8... Archie Miller knows you need to hit the 3 in college basketball. He'll figure it out.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago I just have a feeling the first one who commits then the other one may not cuz they may want to be the man somewhere else
Totally agree. I don't care who but I really hope we can grab one.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago What cracks me up is that we had two good shooters in our starting lineup last year in Shep and EA. But, they couldn't do anything because they were locked up most of the time. All anyone cares about on here is if a guard can shoot. We need guards that can create. We need guards that can break down the defense and get guys around him open shots. We need guards that lock players up. We need guards that are leaders... I keep repeating it, but there is a reason a below-average point guard like Thomas stood out so much last year.

Schooie Smith shot 27% from 3 on the season when they went to the elite 8... Archie Miller knows you need to hit the 3 in college basketball. He'll figure it out.
I'm with you. Like all things, it's a balancing act. Ideally, you want 4 or 5 guards, who can all pass, shoot and drive. You seldom get that, so, you need to mix-and-match. It was an issue last year because we didn't really have anyone who could get to the rim (and the year before, it wasn't much better with an oft-injured Fatts). In the early Hurley years, IIRC, we had people who could get to the rim, but nobody who could shoot consistently from the outside to kill a zone.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago What cracks me up is that we had two good shooters in our starting lineup last year in Shep and EA. But, they couldn't do anything because they were locked up most of the time. All anyone cares about on here is if a guard can shoot. We need guards that can create. We need guards that can break down the defense and get guys around him open shots. We need guards that lock players up. We need guards that are leaders... I keep repeating it, but there is a reason a below-average point guard like Thomas stood out so much last year.

Stevey, read the thread again. No one is saying we ONLY need guards that can shoot. We just can't have a situation where NONE of our guards can shoot. As Greeny correctly said, we need a balance. Watch a few other college teams play. You cannot win without a few great shooters. I have confidence in Archie. My comments concerned a few of the other posters desire to seemingly create an imbalanced roster.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yikes.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Yikes.

I think some of McMahon’s players followed him from Murray State, so he has a little something to work with.

I’m interested in seeing where Philly’s Justice Williams ends up.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Should be a decent size rebuild @ LSU especially in a decent conference
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I just heard this on ESPN, Smarty! Is that nuts, or what?

Has it ever happened before? I can’t think of a time off of the top of my head short of a tragedy?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yeah, but I'm sure several of the portaletters said they'd maybe come back? Right?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Weird.. great programs are after him! Do they know he’s basically Thomas or Biggie Minnie though? 🙄
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, you don't have to be a professional recruiting scout to see that Toussaint is an absolute terror on both ends of the floor. Lockdown defender. I have no problem if Archie manages to get this kid.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Everything starts with the point guard. Hurley understood that; Cox did not. Thinking Arch does. There are plenty of highly effective PG's out there who are not good shooters. I'd love to see us get one or two who could step in right away and help. Think we're on the right track with the kids we are chasing.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

This would be a great guy to have.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I posted in the recruiting thread too. I like the potential of this kid alot.

Originally from queens and out of high school had all power 5 teams on him.

Kid has a 45 inch vertical which is crazy.

Even though he had limited minutes look at his production. Idk why he never got more of an opportunity.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Our first reported visit.

0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago I posted in the recruiting thread too. I like the potential of this kid alot.

Even though he had limited minutes look at his production. Idk why he never got more of an opportunity.

Kid put up 11 points and 3 rebounds in 6 minutes vs. Kansas. Not too shabby…
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody09 wrote: 2 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago I posted in the recruiting thread too. I like the potential of this kid alot.

Kid put up 11 points and 3 rebounds in 6 minutes vs. Kansas. Not too shabby…
With Jalen Wilson guarding him on several of the buckets.

The same jalen wilson who is going to play in the final four tonight.

We will see how it works out but like the potential and our interest in him.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It’s fun being involved with good players again.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No disrespect to Sean, but he came into that Kansas game with five minutes left and the score 88-47. It doesn’t mean he’s good or bad, but those are the specifics of that particular game. He’s another guy who enrolled early and didn’t have the freshman year he wanted. I think there’s an advantage for guys getting there a year early, but I wonder if there’s a benefit to taking it as a true redshirt year instead of getting spot minutes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago No disrespect to Sean, but he came into that Kansas game with five minutes left and the score 88-47. It doesn’t mean he’s good or bad, but those are the specifics of that particular game. He’s another guy who enrolled early and didn’t have the freshman year he wanted. I think there’s an advantage for guys getting there a year early, but I wonder if there’s a benefit to taking it as a true redshirt year instead of getting spot minutes.
Looks like Bobby was recruiting him?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago No disrespect to Sean, but he came into that Kansas game with five minutes left and the score 88-47. It doesn’t mean he’s good or bad, but those are the specifics of that particular game. He’s another guy who enrolled early and didn’t have the freshman year he wanted. I think there’s an advantage for guys getting there a year early, but I wonder if there’s a benefit to taking it as a true redshirt year instead of getting spot minutes.
Looks like Bobby was recruiting him?
This was his original final 8

1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago This would be a great guy to have.
Profile created here: viewtopic.php?t=9231
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Okay yeah I get your point and agree. But it is not just as simple as that.

Yes it was garbage time in that game. Guys that were guarding him were jalen wilson and KJ adams. And bench guys on KU are much better than a normal team. Kansas was also still playing hard diving on lose balls and such

Sean also played against Kentucky 11 mins 6 points.
3 of those 11 mins was in the middle of the 1st half against their starters and was able to get a bucket.

I am not saying he is absolutely amazing and best recruit ever. I just think there is potential there that archie can really work with. Think he hasnt reached his potential yet and like to see how Archie and his staff would develop him if we were so lucky to land his commitment.

But I do get your overall point which I do agree with.
2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Georgetown hired the associate head coach of LSU, Keven Nickelberry, as an assistant who has deep ties to the DMV area. I would be surprised if a couple of those LSU transfers do not follow him to Georgetown including Brandon Murray. This is pretty typical (not to this extreme) when a coach leaves, which is why I was surprised that Umass did not have one player enter the portal when they canned their coach.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Does anyone know how these transfer visits work? Are they paid for by the schools like a high school visit? Or is this entirely on the dime of the person transferring? I do not know and was curious about that.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone know how these transfer visits work? Are they paid for by the schools like a high school visit? Or is this entirely on the dime of the person transferring? I do not know and was curious about that.
Under the table by unidentified donors.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone know how these transfer visits work? Are they paid for by the schools like a high school visit? Or is this entirely on the dime of the person transferring? I do not know and was curious about that.
Also do the kids work out at all for the coaches or are they just looking at the campus and talking with the coaches ??
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Hi folks! Just for clarity and readability standpoint, going forward... Please post about transfers only in this thread! For high school and prep players, please go here:

viewtopic.php?p=516166
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Also do the kids work out at all for the coaches or are they just looking at the campus and talking with the coaches ??
Great questions.... interested in the answers....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago
Okay yeah I get your point and agree. But it is not just as simple as that.

Yes it was garbage time in that game. Guys that were guarding him were jalen wilson and KJ adams. And bench guys on KU are much better than a normal team. Kansas was also still playing hard diving on lose balls and such

Sean also played against Kentucky 11 mins 6 points.
3 of those 11 mins was in the middle of the 1st half against their starters and was able to get a bucket.

I am not saying he is absolutely amazing and best recruit ever. I just think there is potential there that archie can really work with. Think he hasnt reached his potential yet and like to see how Archie and his staff would develop him if we were so lucky to land his commitment.

But I do get your overall point which I do agree with.
I agree that he has potential, and with so many openings, he is exactly the kind of guy you might want. My take on his potential, though, doesn’t have much to do with his game time play. He’s probably a guy who would have been better served redshirting if he was set on reclassifying. It’s kind of how coaches know more about players from practice than garbage time minutes, even though everyone wants those bench players thrown into the game to see what they have.

Also, Zagoria’s tweet really shows how informal the info these tweets are based on is. Anybody could really be saying anything if they want to. It’s likely not going to serve them well, but it’s done. It’s always funny when coaches learn they are recruiting a guy from the guy himself.

Everyone’s talking about LSU, but how many guys does Pitt still have around?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pitt has 8 scholarships open
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Sool! This would make me very happy. Get him, Archie! I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up somewhere closer to home.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not surprising, I posted him on page 5 of this thread,
I think he can be a good fit, was the best player in Philly and a top 50 recruit.

IGGY even replied to me that he can be the player to be named later in the Martin swap.
2 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Maybe I have missed it, but have we been linked to any bigs in the portal? I've only seen PGs in talks with us, and I think it'd be a problem to have Samb come into the next season as a starter, let alone the only big man on the roster
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 years ago Maybe I have missed it, but have we been linked to any bigs in the portal? I've only seen PGs in talks with us, and I think it'd be a problem to have Samb come into the next season as a starter, let alone the only big man on the roster
Durugordon
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Sool! This would make me very happy. Get him, Archie! I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up somewhere closer to home.
Maybe Dan could point him towards Kingston? :)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 years ago Maybe I have missed it, but have we been linked to any bigs in the portal? I've only seen PGs in talks with us, and I think it'd be a problem to have Samb come into the next season as a starter, let alone the only big man on the roster
Durugordon
Durugordon is a wing and listed between 6'5"-6'7".

I think Archie is probably in contact with some bigs, but just not leaked out yet.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Durugordon
Durugordon is a wing and listed between 6'5"-6'7".

I think Archie is probably in contact with some bigs, but just not leaked out yet.
Probably?
1 x