Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That would get us back into the DMV market.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Yes some baggage but.....
Wow he has connections and has recruited a national footprint. He will land us players! In Archie we trust!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years agoNice !!!!
Agree. Excellent choice.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Someone help me out with who this is
Kenny Johnson apparently. So that’s the staff. Arch, Duane, Kenny and Austin. Not bad.
If that is the case, I assume Duane would be in the 1st chair.

The baggage part is a concern.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

He doesn’t have a show cause or anything? Surprising.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodyram99 wrote: 2 years ago Hmm… he has some past baggage but I trust Archie
*Little* bit of baggage. Like, by association. He was on a staff that was dirty at Louisville but from what I’ve understood about the situation he wasn’t implicated in any of the extremely shady stuff that ended up getting them in real trouble. Stud recruiter.

If Austin can produce recruiting NE, with Woodward in NY and Kenny in the DMV, we have pretty good coverage of the eastern seaboard which should give us plenty of options.

Now that we basically know the whole staff I will say that I’m pretty pumped about it. Think we’re off to a good start. Austin is clearly the “prospect” or up-and-comer of the staff and he has a lot of potential. The other two assistants are legit grown up college basketball coaches. That’s a nice makeup to me.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What a difference from last year's staff!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago He doesn’t have a show cause or anything? Surprising.
He had been on Ashley Howard’s staff at La Salle since 2018 so obviously not.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He was fired at LaSalle in 2020 due to the previous violations at Louisville.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He got fired in 2020 because of stuff at Louisville.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Number of times “holier than thou” will be used to trash anyone who is Iike, maybe not my first choice but ok… more or less than 15?

It all involves the recruitment of Brian Bowen. Maybe he paid his dad, maybe he didn’t. He was fired from La Salle because of the allegations. I imagine this will all be talked about a lot as Louisville goes through their process.

I like Woodward, especially as Shaheen was not going to keep him at Seton Hall.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Rhodyram99 wrote: 2 years ago Hmm… he has some past baggage but I trust Archie
*Little* bit of baggage. Like, by association. He was on a staff that was dirty at Louisville but from what I’ve understood about the situation he wasn’t implicated in any of the extremely shady stuff that ended up getting them in real trouble. Stud recruiter.

If Austin can produce recruiting NE, with Woodward in NY and Kenny in the DMV, we have pretty good coverage of the eastern seaboard which should give us plenty of options.

Now that we basically know the whole staff I will say that I’m pretty pumped about it. Think we’re off to a good start. Austin is clearly the “prospect” or up-and-comer of the staff and he has a lot of potential. The other two assistants are legit grown up college basketball coaches. That’s a nice makeup to me.
Yeah I agree. Recruiting will be well covered. Now let’s get some talent !!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
But fired at La Salle isn’t the same thing as show cause, right? Like, La Salle hired him without an issue after the Louisville stuff?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But fired at La Salle isn’t the same thing as show cause, right? Like, La Salle hired him without an issue after the Louisville stuff?
No show cause right now. La Salle fired him after he was officially named in the notice of allegations. It’s the closest URI will get to having Pitino!
5 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

No show cause right now. La Salle fired him after he was officially named in the notice of allegations. It’s the closest URI will get to having Pitino!
10/10 ace lol
Last edited by rhodysurf 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is this hiring a little risky?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Supposedly Johnson was being considered by Georgetown too. URI a more stable situation.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ok, so to reset the timeline here:

- he was on the Louisville staff that was caught up in the FBI investigation of adidas related to Louisville’s recruitment of Bowen

- he was fired, along with Pitino and Fair, when the investigation went public

- he was immediately hired by Ashley Howard at La Salle

- in 2020, he was named in the NOA by NCAA against Louisville and La Salle fired him in response

- in 2021, documents from the FBI’s case revealed that the thing he was accused of doing which led to him being fired at La Salle (giving Bowen’s dad $1300) appears to have not actually happened.

Idk, unless something else has come out in the last year re-implicating him I wouldn’t expect a show-cause to be forthcoming. I mean, look if it was a coach at UMass or PC I’d probably be saying something a little different but to me even if the $1300 thing were true it isn’t the kind of moral turpitude I’d say deserves a lifetime ban. It’s not good, shouldn’t do that, etc. But they don’t put you in jail for going 80 on the highway.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Love this addition. Like Archie, a bit of a redemption story here. Johnson was once the highest paid assistant in the ACC while at Louisville, pulling down $550K per year and was responsible for Louisville landing Donovan Mitchell.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... /95466384/
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Welcome to the big time. LOL.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Ok, so to reset the timeline here:

- he was on the Louisville staff that was caught up in the FBI investigation of adidas related to Louisville’s recruitment of Bowen

- he was fired, along with Pitino and Fair, when the investigation went public

- he was immediately hired by Ashley Howard at La Salle

- in 2020, he was named in the NOA by NCAA against Louisville and La Salle fired him in response

- in 2021, documents from the FBI’s case revealed that the thing he was accused of doing which led to him being fired at La Salle (giving Bowen’s dad $1300) appears to have not actually happened.

Idk, unless something else has come out in the last year re-implicating him I wouldn’t expect a show-cause to be forthcoming. I mean, look if it was a coach at UMass or PC I’d probably be saying something a little different but to me even if the $1300 thing were true it isn’t the kind of moral turpitude I’d say deserves a lifetime ban. It’s not good, shouldn’t do that, etc. But they don’t put you in jail for going 80 on the highway.
At least you’re honest!

Louisville was a dumpster fire. People either care about the association or they don’t, and nothing anyone says will likely change anyone else’s mind.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If this is indeed our staff, we should be getting some big time talent here very soon.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I presume Archie and Thorr have done their due diligence regarding Kenny.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago :oops:
ace wrote: 2 years ago

10/10 ace lol

Sounds good to me

NCAA 2023
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I presume Archie and Thorr have done their due diligence regarding Kenny.
They did their homework and are good with him, we all should be.
He is a major league recruiter.

His Bio on Louisville Website

https://gocards.com/sports/mens-basketball

"Kenny Johnson, assistant men's basketball coach and recruiting coordinator at Indiana University for two years prior to joining the Cardinals, is in his second season on the University of Louisville men's basketball staff as an assistant coach under head coach Rick Pitino.

While at Indiana, Johnson helped the Hoosiers assemble top 20 recruiting classes each of the past two seasons, including a top five class in 2013. On the court, Indiana produced a combined 46-22 record in his two seasons there, winning the Big Ten Championship, earning a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and reaching the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2013.

ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, after surveying more than 200 collegiate coaches, named Johnson as the nation's 11th most respected/feared assistant coach in a July 2013 listing after just two seasons as a collegiate assistant."

Also
https://goexplorers.com/news/2018/5/9/m ... %20listing.

"Johnson is known as a top recruiter on a national level. After surveying more than 60 collegiate coaches, ESPN Insider named Johnson as the nation's 10th best recruiting assistant coach in a 2016 listing. "
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Currently the coach at National Christian Academy (private school in DC). Was COY in their league this year. His top player is Isaiah Coleman 6’5” SG ranked in the top 100 for Class of ‘23.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think your question is answered. Turns out to have been an excellent observation from the video and a great question.

https://goexplorers.com/sports/mens-bas ... hnson/1377

F903F6B9-FC07-4143-8C49-95D92CA8BF15.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s a great staff. Better than I had hoped for. Good situation for Austin to learn in and help with the transition.

Next couple of weeks will be fascinating and exciting.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Kenny Johnson apparently. So that’s the staff. Arch, Duane, Kenny and Austin. Not bad.
Duane isn’t going to be the top assistant when you have Kenny Johnson on staff. The man is a legend.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’m really looking forward to checking in on the Recruitment Corner in the coming weeks. Whew! Things are heating up!

I wonder if he has any relationships with players in the portal?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from 2013 at the time Kenny Johnson was going to take the AC job at Indiana

Great staff addition by Archie Miller

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/2556929
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote: 2 years ago
Duane isn’t going to be the top assistant when you have Kenny Johnson on staff. The man is a legend.
Tend to agree but I also don’t care all that much about who is in the first chair or the second chair. Collectively, the staff is even better than I hoped and I was hoping for a really good staff.

Early in this thread there was a lot of talk about Ostrom and questioning retaining Austin. To me, I wouldn’t have been mad if Ostrom was on the staff but it didn’t excite me. I’d rather have this staff. And I think what had become clear is that Austin gives the staff some balance - his freight is definitely lighter than what it would have cost to grab an experienced #3 on the market, which allowed them to hit homeruns with the last two spots. Also brings some youth and familiarity with the institution and, because of his prior relationship with Sean, some level of comfort for Archie - I don’t know how well he knows Kenny and Duane, but it’s not as well as he knows Ostrom. He also covers a different part of the country recruiting-wise. I wouldn’t be shocked if Duane and Kenny sort of run the NY metro and DMV on their own and Austin and Archie work NE as sort of a tandem - Austin does the leg work but Archie takes a larger role toward the end of the process. All in all, however it ends up playing out, I’ll live with this and it has my total support.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I’m really looking forward to checking in on the Recruitment Corner in the coming weeks. Whew! Things are heating up!

I wonder if he has any relationships with players in the portal?
Absolutely he knows guys in the portal. Team Takeover in EYBL is among the top organizations.

Recruiting is heavy on the Portal today. You can see the players in action in D1, better able to assess players and their potential. Recruiters dealing more directly with the players now across the country
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
I think your question is answered. Turns out to have been an excellent observation from the video and a great question.

I was watching the video specifically thinking about the staff. I couldn’t make it out well enough to run it down on my own but felt like it was somebody we should (or eventually would) know. Kind of got that vibe from the 1.5 seconds he was in the frame lol.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was watching the video specifically thinking about the staff. I couldn’t make it out well enough to run it down on my own but felt like it was somebody we should (or eventually would) know. Kind of got that vibe from the 1.5 seconds he was in the frame lol.
It was a great observation by you TP and a great question - all in 1.5 seconds of video :D

I was reading this article about Kenny from 2013 and interestingly enough they said he had been on the IU campus for a few days and then he was hired as AC. Reminded me of now when you spotted Kenny (turns out it was him) and then we hear he is hired. Like he was assessing the potential Job and Archie and team were getting to know Kenny. It’s also nice to know Archie is handling this without the story leaking out. Love the confidentiality part.

“We will be good when we are good” said Archie!!!

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow seems like a great hire and I think we are going to be scary good in a couple of years
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Pretty legit staff if you ask me!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you are not recruiting on the edge, then you are not trying. Kenny will not be the bagman but will know who is.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

So beyond the tweet and the picture, do we know for sure that Kenny is coming? As far as I know he is still at the high school. I'll ask around today...
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

It was a great observation by you TP and a great question - all in 1.5 seconds of video :D

I was reading this article about Kenny from 2013 and interestingly enough they said he had been on the IU campus for a few days and then he was hired as AC. Reminded me of now when you spotted Kenny (turns out it was him) and then we hear he is hired. Like he was assessing the potential Job and Archie and team were getting to know Kenny. It’s also nice to know Archie is handling this without the story leaking out. Love the confidentiality part.

“We will be good when we are good” said Archie!!!

This stuff happens all the time- that's why we never hear of it. We recently had an assist. coach who before he was officially working here was in state working for the team/school.He was making more $ at the school that he had previosly coached and was still on their payroll.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago It’s a great staff. Better than I had hoped for. Good situation for Austin to learn in and help with the transition.

Remember when people were complaining about keeping Austin?? This is why you all need to trust Archie. He’ll create a great staff and he’ll build a great roster.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago It’s a great staff. Better than I had hoped for. Good situation for Austin to learn in and help with the transition.

Remember when people were complaining about keeping Austin?? This is why you all need to trust Archie. He’ll create a great staff and he’ll build a great roster.
Don’t insult Ramster!

He’ll call you a PC fan and that you can’t comprehend what he’s posting!
1 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So, no place for TJ on staff?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t insult Ramster!

Rhody15,

From Page 3 of this thread copied below for you is my response to steveystuds06 regarding the Austin Carroll hire where I endorsed his opinion of Austin.
I’ve been impressed with Austin since I first met him at his 1st Season Ticket Holder Event. Also very impressed with his dad.

I don’t think stevey was “insulting” me as a poster who complained about Austin in the past since I don’t recall ever complaining about him. Been just the opposite since Austin arrived in Kingston.

Am I missing something Stevey?

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.

0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago So, no place for TJ on staff?
My guess is he will try to land an assistant job at a low D1 staff to continue his growth. Coach Cox and Dan have plenty of connections to find him a landing spot. If those opportunities are not a fit he will land at a bigger program in a Basketball Support Staff position- Director of Operations, Director of Player Development etc.

I would be surprised if he came back here in a lesser role than the one he had on Cox's staff. Wishing him all the best!!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago So, no place for TJ on staff?
My guess is he will try to land an assistant job at a low D1 staff to continue his growth. Coach Cox and Dan have plenty of connections to find him a landing spot. If those opportunities are not a fit he will land at a bigger program in a Basketball Support Staff position- Director of Operations, Director of Player Development etc.

I would be surprised if he came back here in a lesser role than the one he had on Cox's staff. Wishing him all the best!!!
If you look at the resumes of top assistants most have had multiple stops along the way. TJ will become a better recruiter and coach by working at different schools.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t insult Ramster!

Rhody15,

From Page 3 of this thread copied below for you is my response to steveystuds06 regarding the Austin Carroll hire where I endorsed his opinion of Austin.
I’ve been impressed with Austin since I first met him at his 1st Season Ticket Holder Event. Also very impressed with his dad.

I don’t think stevey was “insulting” me as a poster who complained about Austin in the past since I don’t recall ever complaining about him. Been just the opposite since Austin arrived in Kingston.

Am I missing something Stevey?

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.

I was not trying to insult you Ramster. My bad if it came off that way…Ramster and I were one of the few that liked keeping Austin on and some people overreacted and were complaining that he couldn’t recruit. I was just reminding those people to trust Archie.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yes, people don’t trust Archie and are generally down on the hire. That’s definitely the sense that I get from reading the board.

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn’t it just the one person being typically negative?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago Yes, people don’t trust Archie and are generally down on the hire. That’s definitely the sense that I get from reading the board.

Are things so good that people must imagine hate? Isn’t it just the one person being typically negative?
Umm I’m not making it up. People we’re questioning why we kept Austin. Ask Ramster… I’m sure he’ll agree with me
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Yes, people don’t trust Archie and are generally down on the hire. That’s definitely the sense that I get from reading the board.

Umm I’m not making it up. People we’re questioning why we kept Austin. Ask Ramster… I’m sure he’ll agree with me
It was that one person being negative and like two others asking legitimate questions. Consensus seemed to be, decent third option.
0 x