Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
jcru wrote: 2 years ago Mitchells are in the portal.
True, but we know they're not coming back. We don't know about the other three yet.
Honestly, then maybe make it 5.
Ok, I worded it wrong then. There's only 3 left in the portal that still have the possibility of coming back to URI.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I can’t envision a scenario in which Berry and Ayo-Faleye are back next year. They got no run when Cox was here and are going to get recruited over by Archie.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is there any chance of Betrand coming back?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Welcome back Ish! Can't wait to see you take the next steps!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I can’t envision a scenario in which Berry and Ayo-Faleye are back next year. They got no run when Cox was here and are going to get recruited over by Archie.
That's why I'm wondering why Abdou Samb is still around
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I can’t envision a scenario in which Berry and Ayo-Faleye are back next year. They got no run when Cox was here and are going to get recruited over by Archie.
Let’s hope not. I’m fine with some of the guys coming back to help with the transition and if they buy in, but no part of me wants close to the same team we had last year. We need shooters and these guys couldn’t come close to breaking the lineup on a below average team. Archie is a much better coach than Cox, but he needs to get his guys in especially shooters and retooling the front court. I feel confident in Archie bringing in these players even if next year is a work in progress.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Updated first post and topic title.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good for Ish. He seems to have a good attitude and seems to be a hard worker, from what I’ve seen. Having 3 years of eligibility left is key for me. He should improve under better coaching. Hopefully, he works extra hard during this offseason.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ish is the one person from those in the portal that I wanted back the most. He is a better offensive player than he showed this year. He has always showed the effort.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AWESOME !

That’s how it’s done !

BUCKLE UP !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago AWESOME !

That’s how it’s done !

BUCKLE UP !
Leggett entered the portal though before a new coach was named.

Don't you want him gone then because he's a wimp and didn't wait to see who was hired?
2 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
First of all, it's not unheard of to actually like the school you committed to. I know most commit to a coach or a staff but some fall in love with the school. That's an option. #2 option is he is still has four years left and he had decent offers/rankings. Maybe he just needed a year to improve his game/get stronger. If it doesn't work out, he'll still have three years to play somewhere.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
First of all, it's not unheard of to actually like the school you committed to. I know most commit to a coach or a staff but some fall in love with the school. That's an option. #2 option is he is still has four years left and he had decent offers/rankings. Maybe he just needed a year to improve his game/get stronger. If it doesn't work out, he'll still have three years to play somewhere.
I think 4 years GBG. He redshirted last year plus he gets the extra Covid year - I think.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago R15 you ok ?
...says the person who posts random song lyrics every other day.

Just asking a simple question because you were so strong in your opinion that Walker was a wimp when he entered the portal before Archie was hired.
4 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I think 4 years GBG. He redshirted last year plus he gets the extra Covid year - I think.
Yes he has all 4 years left.
I am glad he is still currently staying.

I think he has plenty of upside, with athleticism in the paint and can hit the outside shot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I think he has plenty of upside, with athleticism in the paint and can hit the outside shot.
Ileri looks very long and athletic too. I haven't seen him play enough to know how good he is or how good he can become, but just watching him in pregames, he moves well, jumps well, handles pretty well for a big and shoots it well. Whether or not this translates to in game action, I don't know. Apparently Cox didn't think so, but.....
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ileri looks very long and athletic too. I haven't seen him play enough to know how good he is or how good he can become, but just watching him in pregames, he moves well, jumps well, handles pretty well for a big and shoots it well. Whether or not this translates to in game action, I don't know. Apparently Cox didn't think so, but.....
I think Cox felt that with the Mitchells, Walker, Ileri, and even Martin, that they were set upfront.
Not worth wasting a year of eligibility to sit on the end of the bench.

Besides when I talked to Samb in Daytona at the hotel he said he was good with RS this year because of missing most of his final prep season with injuries and using this past season to practice and get up to speed.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Just asking a simple question because you were so strong in your opinion that Walker was a wimp when he entered the portal before Archie was hired.

I still think it is wrong to enter a portal before a coach is named

We will agree to disagree

And I also was strong in my opinion of Archie getting hired when no one else was so there’s that
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In regards to option #2: "In the span of May-July, the 6-foot-8 forward picked up 10 of his 12 current offers. East Carolina, East Tennessee State, Elon, George Mason, Hampton, Kent State, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Southeastern Lousiana and Towson were among the 10 schools with Mount St. Mary’s and Stony Brook rounding out the full 12". I wouldn't call those decent offers. DCRams would/did say that us simple board members, and apparently a bunch of college coaches, don't get it and Cox knew the perfect time to swoop in and grab players before they blew up, but I'm very skeptical of Cox' ability to recruit as the head coach and if those are the schools we're competing with we're in serious trouble.

I hope everything works out with Samb, but he is securely in the diamond in the rough/project territory
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Cox felt that with the Mitchells, Walker, Ileri, and even Martin, that they were set upfront.

Besides when I talked to Samb in Daytona at the hotel he said he was good with RS this year because of missing most of his final prep season with injuries and using this past season to practice and get up to speed.
[/quote

I agree about Samb, but I was talking about Ileri. I wonder if Archie would want him back. Like I said, he looks very athletic, moves well, jumps well, etc. But that's all Archie has to go on. There isn't much game tape of him. Might this kid develop into a player? And like I said, Cox didn't think so this enough this year to give any minutes, but....should we trust Cox's judgement on a player?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Agree with ECR I thought players entering portal before a new coach was named was a issue too and very difficult to walk back.

Kudos to Archie for disagreeing with me and re recruiting the 2 best glue guys who had gone in the transfer portal.

For a elite coach this is a perfect scenario to build a quality roster with the skill set you want to play in your system.

I expect big things and a quality team right out of the blocks.

The Wild West of the new transfer rules and additional Covid-19 eligibility is playing out perfect for us.

Time to win.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I still think it is wrong to enter a portal before a coach is named

We will agree to disagree

And I also was strong in my opinion of Archie getting hired when no one else was so there’s that
Blueman called Archie and everyone on here wanted him. That's fine if you think it's wrong but laughing at a Rhody player and calling him a wimp is crossing the line in my opinion. Malik said it best. We have no idea why kids transfer or make these decisions. It's their life and their choice.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

check the receipts

i was on Archie early on - very very early on

everyone might have wanted him but i was out there saying he will be our coach

again... we will agree to disagree
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You repeated it the most. I'll give you that. People on here were talking about Archie being an excellent replacement for Cox when he was on the hot seat at Indiana. Anyone that follows Rhody's hoops knew Archie would be a target. No one truly knew if he would come, but we all knew he would be one of the top targets. Blueman broke down how it was possible, so props to him.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, do you think Samb is ready to play meaningful minutes next year?

I’m sincerely curious as I really don’t know much about him other than his recruiting thread (which I haven’t looked at in over a year at least). I’ll have to go back to review it.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Probably because he was an agreed-upon redshirt with potential with bigs in front of him, while Tres and Ileri just twisted in the wind for two years with no plan.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

Jersey, do you think Samb is ready to play meaningful minutes next year?

I’m sincerely curious as I really don’t know much about him other than his recruiting thread (which I haven’t looked at in over a year at least). I’ll have to go back to review it.
Depending on what other bigs Archie brings in. I think this kid may have a shot.
He still may be a little raw and hasn't really had game experience in almost 2 years.

But his upside is high and he does have very good skills.
We will see.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Probably because he was an agreed-upon redshirt with potential with bigs in front of him, while Tres and Ileri just twisted in the wind for two years with no plan.
He certainly looks the part
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That Samb is still here, speaks well of his potential and attitude, at least. Put the work in…Let’s go Samb!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I will add a 3rd scenario…not a better option out there. He has no game tape and little for anyone to go in terms of him transferring/being recruited. I doubt Archie is gonna brizz anyone so staying put might be his best (and only) option.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago You repeated it the most. I'll give you that. People on here were talking about Archie being an excellent replacement for Cox when he was on the hot seat at Indiana. Anyone that follows Rhody's hoops knew Archie would be a target. No one truly knew if he would come, but we all knew he would be one of the top targets. Blueman broke down how it was possible, so props to him.

yeah i was right - so there's that

was right about the sniffles too
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Samb looks like he's moving well here. Obviously, it's easy to look good with no defense but I remember Jersey was high on him when we got him before he got injured. He may be a piece for us.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

stevey - thanks for posting

we can agree on this !

looks awesome !

NCAA 2023 !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Samb looks like he's moving well here. Obviously, it's easy to look good with no defense but I remember Jersey was high on him when we got him before he got injured. He may be a piece for us.
"Keep stacking good days on good days"

The most character the Rhody MBB has shown in four years.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice that’s a Belichickian quote also stacking good days together , love Arch already

Samb looks like he has a big physical body glad he is staying and Arch will get the best out of this kid

Also nice form on Bassy jumper hopefully that’s much improved going forward
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Nice that’s a Belichickian quote also stacking good days together , love Arch already

Samb looks like he has a big physical body glad he is staying and Arch will get the best out of this kid

Also nice form on Bassy jumper hopefully that’s much improved going forward
Bassy needs to be in the gym 24/7 shooting free throws and jumpers if he wants a chance. The kid has speed and ball handling skills, but he needs to work on his offense.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

D574922E-6D2E-46E3-A53F-1C1BDA1AFBA2.jpeg
Who’s that with the headband?? It looks like Ileri right?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago D574922E-6D2E-46E3-A53F-1C1BDA1AFBA2.jpeg

I can't tell, But is that Woodward in the gray t-shirt?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I can't tell, But is that Woodward in the gray t-shirt?
Don't think so, doesn't look like him (Woodward).
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Samb could be that beast we are looking for
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Is there any chance of Betrand coming back?
Would like to see Betrand back. He didn’t get to show his potential in the .5 year he played.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Abdou is my favorite player on the team from a personality point of view. Great kid and was always at the women’s games being a vocal supporter. I hope his game matches his personality!
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s a sin that no one tried to fix Bassy’s form years ago. It’s no bueno.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m hoping Bassy follows the trajectory of Tommy Garrick. Was not great his first year here. He improved greatly and became an NBA player.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I’m hoping Bassy follows the trajectory of Tommy Garrick. Was not great his first year here. He improved greatly and became an NBA player.
Ooph. I don’t know, Ramulous.

I’m trying to think back. TG was an exceptional, explosive athlete, IIRC. I’m not sure Bassy has that kind of athleticism. He does have solid skills to build on, however.

I hope you are right. I really like him as a player.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

TG averaged 6 points his first two years. And 18 his last two.
Penders changed his life. Similar to Harrick and Cuttino.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Maybe coach Miller and Bassy catch lightening in a bottle to make it 3 examples? That would sure be a great story! You never know…
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hes listed at 6'8 but he looks bigger. Need that size.
0 x
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I’m hoping Bassy follows the trajectory of Tommy Garrick. Was not great his first year here. He improved greatly and became an NBA player.
Ooph. I don’t know, Ramulous.

I’m trying to think back. TG was an exceptional, explosive athlete, IIRC. I’m not sure Bassy has that kind of athleticism. He does have solid skills to build on, however.

I hope you are right. I really like him as a player.
I've never seen another player improve over his four years as much as Tommy Garrick. He was a great RI schoolboy player as a forward and his athleticism was apparent. His transition to the college game involved a change of position to shooting guard. As a freshman, on a bad Rhody team, he was often used as an undersized forward. I recall early on help defenders being a problem for him in the paint. His shot was getting blocked fairly often. He started showing occasional flashes of being a good offensive player his sophomore season but had already become an above average defender. Then Coach Penders came his junior year and they became the Running Rams and the rest is history.

I suspect that Thomas will put in the work to improve and really like his competitiveness but not seeing elite athleticism.
0 x