Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Walker is a very skilled forward. Has nice moves in the post, a good touch, can shoot facing up, a willing passer, athletic, can defend, seemed to be a good teammate with a positive attitude. There's a reason he was a Georgetown recruit. I liked his game...I thought Cox and now Archie could show him to be an All-Conference type player.

Oh well...
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but It's always so odd to me when the same people that take shots at every guy who transfers out are then also so accepting of guys that transfer in. I mean I guess it's just the way fans are sometimes, but I struggle to get how the guys leaving are "wimps", "quitters", "need to learn a lesson" etc. etc. but the guys transferring in are great!
This x1000... He's a wimp... But Archie needs to get some transfers in so we can dance next year. How does that make sense????
2 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Next year is an audition for him to get a job overseas, can't fault him for wanting to go to a school where he will be a major part of the rotation after the way he was misused here so that both twins could start.
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I thought Walker & Martin specifically would see a significant increase in their contributions with the correct leadership and coaching. Both players are glue guys and needed on successful teams. I think both would have been solid players to help guide Archie through the transition period of getting his guys here. Walker especially would have been able to showcase his talents for future pro opportunities with the twins leaving, and in a much better conference than what he'll get at Bryant. Best of luck to Antwan, guy certainly plays hard and seemed like a great teammate.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but It's always so odd to me when the same people that take shots at every guy who transfers out are then also so accepting of guys that transfer in. I mean I guess it's just the way fans are sometimes, but I struggle to get how the guys leaving are "wimps", "quitters", "need to learn a lesson" etc. etc. but the guys transferring in are great!
Double edged sword for sure.
But ironically usually for the fans who take potshots at other fanbases for doing the same thing.

Twan was one of a handful of players I like watching from this team. Would’ve been happy to bring him back if Archie wanted him. I think he’ll do well at Bryant and I’ll root for him any game but against URI.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Hold on a second - maybe I am wrong - but didn’t Antwan enter the portal BEFORE archie was named coach ?

That is what I am pissed off about in my criticism

If I got that wrong then my bad

If I got that right then I stand by my sentiment
Walker did enter the portal prior to the hiring of Archie.
But even after that and probably having discussions with Archie he decided to remain in the portal and pursue other opportunities

Regardless of all that, still not sure why you feel that way, although yeah you are entitled to your opinion of him.

Twan was a loyal Cox guy, both from the same area and recruited by him.
Not uncommon for players to have that bonding relationship with their coach.
Also it is very common when there is a coaching change, especially in this case, for players to leave.

Something obviously clicked with him and Grasso and saw himself as a good fit for Bryant.

If that is what he wants good for him, I wish him well.

I moved on from these players and am anxious to see how our new staff and roster comes together.
If Arch wanted him here, I have no doubt he'd be here.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I had someone in my mentions say all the players on the roster next year (pre-transfers) suck. Now he's losing his mind that those same players are leaving. Consistency is not everyone's favorite thing.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I hear ya....can't have a PortalPalooza without it going both ways. Gotta be just as free with the "see ya"s as the "welcome"s

The only way I'd be bummed about a player leaving is if I heard Arch wanted him to stay. (Which I don't really expect to hear)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

As frustrating and immature the twins were, they finished 1st and 2nd on the team in points per game, rebounds per game, and blocks per game.

The talent is so obvious, and there were some games where both of them were absolutely dominant.

It'll be tough to replace their production, but I think it's best for both parties to separate.
2 x
Go Rhody
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago As frustrating and immature the twins were, they finished 1st and 2nd on the team in points per game, rebounds per game, and blocks per game.

The talent is so obvious, and there were some games where both of them were absolutely dominant.

It'll be tough to replace their production, but I think it's best for both parties to separate.
This is not to carve up players who leave the program, but I never fully got the "talent" of the twins. What talent was obvious? Neither were good shooters, especially at the FT line, neither were particularly good at handling the ball, neither seemed to be good passers, neither ran the floor well, neither has any basketball IQ, neither had good footwork around the basket, neither seemed coachable or team first players etc... I get the height factor and they both were good defenders and rebounders, but to me that's the only "talent" they consistently showed. Finishing 1st or 2nd in any stat on a team as flawed as we were last year is nothing to brag about. Did they show flashes of potential, absolutely, and the fact they had such little help at the guard position surely hurt them, but I just never saw the talent that everyone else seemed to see.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Exactly.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago This is not to carve up players who leave the program, but I never fully got the "talent" of the twins. What talent was obvious? Neither were good shooters, especially at the FT line, neither were particularly good at handling the ball, neither seemed to be good passers, neither ran the floor well, neither has any basketball IQ, neither had good footwork around the basket, neither seemed coachable or team first players etc... I get the height factor and they both were good defenders and rebounders, but to me that's the only "talent" they consistently showed. Finishing 1st or 2nd in any stat on a team as flawed as we were last year is nothing to brag about. Did they show flashes of potential, absolutely, and the fact they had such little help at the guard position surely hurt them, but I just never saw the talent that everyone else seemed to see.
I agree with all points except for what I bolded. I think both of them (but Makhel especially) had some really gifted post moves. I'd also disagree that they were good defenders... they were good shot blockers. Their defense was very inconsistent.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago As frustrating and immature the twins were, they finished 1st and 2nd on the team in points per game, rebounds per game, and blocks per game.

This is not to carve up players who leave the program, but I never fully got the "talent" of the twins. What talent was obvious? Neither were good shooters, especially at the FT line, neither were particularly good at handling the ball, neither seemed to be good passers, neither ran the floor well, neither has any basketball IQ, neither had good footwork around the basket, neither seemed coachable or team first players etc... I get the height factor and they both were good defenders and rebounders, but to me that's the only "talent" they consistently showed. Finishing 1st or 2nd in any stat on a team as flawed as we were last year is nothing to brag about. Did they show flashes of potential, absolutely, and the fact they had such little help at the guard position surely hurt them, but I just never saw the talent that everyone else seemed to see.
Most people who are 6'10" struggle to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I realize the Mitchells - and Walker - aren't ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Hassan Martin and Cyril, but they were also way better than guys like Jon Clark and J.R. Moore. Even overlooking the issue of, "Would a better coach have gotten more out of them?", at their production level last year they were both net positives to URI.

Unless Samb is way better than we expect, or Archie is able to land a big man who can play 30+ MPG the second he gets on campus, we're probably going to be worse in the frontcourt this coming year. We've went from having 3 average to above-average options at the position to zero. That's not a reason that we should have retained Cox, to be clear, but the fact that they're gone means the sole position of strength (or at least competence) is now gone.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Smarty and 15. While they had lots of faults 95% of their issues were not physical or talent related. They are entirely attitude and effort related. For bigs they have good ball skills, good footwork and good hands. Those things aren't gimmes with 6'10" guys especially not the ones that end up in the A10. They should have prob dominated more than they did but to dismiss their production is revisionist history.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Agree with Smarty and 15. While they had lots of faults 95% of their issues were not physical or talent related. They are entirely attitude and effort related. For bigs they have good ball skills, good footwork and good hands. Those things aren't gimmes with 6'10" guys especially not the ones that end up in the A10. They should have prob dominated more than they did but to dismiss their production is revisionist history.
Agreed. I thought when I first saw them they were fundamentally very good.

Their issues were between the ears and maybe in the coaches chair. But they were consistently put in positions where they couldn't succeed.

They can't play together. That's number 1. Because neither of them are capable of defending a stretch 4 in today's game. Not quick enough laterally. They took most fouls away from the hoop guarding a faster, more athletic guy.

They shouldn't be handling the ball.

They shouldn't be shooting from outside the paint.

One Mitchell playing under the rim was a good thing. 2 of them was a problem.

But all of their good was negated by the attitude - the techs and the "me first" flexing for big plays when we were getting our asses kicked. Hated that. Hated that it wasn't disciplined. Made me hate last year's team.

They could've been great with the right coach and an open attitude to being coachable. But that was enough to overpower any good they brought unfortunately.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

4 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

i like it!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Let's get that guy!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Good to have some continuity.

Let’s hope he takes a big jump next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Good news! I like seeing Martin and leggett return. No let’s bring in some portal transfers!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm glad Ish is back. I like the kid and I think Archie can make him into a player. Archie wants attitude. Ish has it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah glad to see Leggett coming back. We still have plenty of holes to fill to bring in some new talent, but I'd like to see what Leggett can do under Archie.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This is someone I'm excited to see come back. I think he'll buy into Archie's defense and fit right in.

We saw the offensive flashes. I'm sure it's in there. I'm sure Archie can give some shooting tips. When you have one season where you shoot FIFTY SEVEN percent from 3 - (42/73)...you probably know what you're doing.

But Ish has a high ceiling. Sophomore slump for sure but I can't wait to see him grow.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And Ish still has 3 years of eligibility left, so plenty of time to grow too.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I could definitely see a more fast paced style of play working to his advantage.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Leggett, Berry, AF, and Betrand remaining. I'm starting to get the feeling that if they haven't pulled out of the portal by now, they're not going to.
Reverse jinx works like a charm. Let's try another one.

URI has zero shot of winning the national championship next year. Simply won't happen.
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I like it. Kid plays tough. Just needs to be coached. Which he will be. Hope he becomes a gym rat and works on his offense.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This is someone I'm excited to see come back. I think he'll buy into Archie's defense and fit right in.

We saw the offensive flashes. I'm sure it's in there. I'm sure Archie can give some shooting tips. When you have one season where you shoot FIFTY SEVEN percent from 3 - (42/73)...you probably know what you're doing.

But Ish has a high ceiling. Sophomore slump for sure but I can't wait to see him grow.
Don't discount how much having two Mitchell twins clogging up the paint limited his ability to get downhill, too. I'm certain Archie will remedy that.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great news Rhody nation welcome back Ish L !!
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
If Arch wanted him here, I have no doubt he'd be here.
No way of knowing that. I don't think it's crazy to think Archie came here and just wasn't going to promise Walker (or anyone) minutes. My guess is Grasso could. If you wanted to autopsy Cox's downfall, how he handled Walker would be at the top of the list. After the way Walker was handled by Cox, it's not surprising that he just wants to be at a place where he can showcase his skills. The guy defended, rebounded, and had a true shooting of over 60% at URI. Imagine coaching for your job, having one of the worst offenses in D-1, looking down the bench and seeing an efficient scorer who can also defend. And then saying let's give him 21mpg. You can make a case with the way Walker played all three years he was underused. Imagine watching Jermaine Harris fire up bricks and getting more minutes. Or starting four games this year. The one game this year he got over 30 minutes. 17/11/2blocks/1 steal. Only 8 shots by the way.
I guess Archie could have promised him the minutes but that doesn't seem like the right way to build something. I also think Archie doesn't have a history of playing with pace. Grasso does and I think that will suit Walker. I actually thought he might transfer up to a high major with a chance to dance. Sort of like the guys that went to Wake or Iowa State. But, I can't kill him for going to Bryant. Plus, America East is generally better comp than the NEC so he'll get some good games.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago And Ish still has 3 years of eligibility left, so plenty of time to grow too.
To me, that is only upside, time on his side to grow…..was not high on Ish
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Agree with Smarty and 15. While they had lots of faults 95% of their issues were not physical or talent related. They are entirely attitude and effort related. For bigs they have good ball skills, good footwork and good hands. Those things aren't gimmes with 6'10" guys especially not the ones that end up in the A10. They should have prob dominated more than they did but to dismiss their production is revisionist history.
The Mitchells’ “production” came at the expense of other players’ development and strengths. When you have to feed two big men constantly for low-post touches in the modern game and they average 1.3 and 1.5 assists a game, that should tell you all you need to know. We also lost more games than we won. But hey, they put up good stats I guess.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Like keeping leggett and martin as long as they understand their roles, which I am sure they do and will. Both are hard nosed character guys who give it there all especially on the defensive end ( as referenced before think TJ when Hurley was hired). Plus we sit across from ish's mom and she's fun to watch cheer her boy on. Now let's infuse the rest of the roster with more talent.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Welcome back Ish!

Love it! Rebuild got a little bit easier today
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obviously Archie was impressed when speaking with Malik and Ish. Yes, they also have to be able to play too, but having high character, hard working leader types is important in a rebuild to help establish that culture that he wants. I'm guessing he wasn't as impressed when speaking to the twins.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ish, Malik and Walker were the 3 character/program guys that have the most value in this transition period. He retained 2 of 3. I’ll take it.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Leggett made an excellent decision here. Leggett and Martin will make excellent transition players into the new era.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Ish, Malik and Walker were the 3 character/program guys that have the most value in this transition period. He retained 2 of 3. I’ll take it.
Would’ve loved to see what Walker could do with 30 minutes a game here though.

Guess we’ll just have to see that in Smithfield.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Ish, Malik and Walker were the 3 character/program guys that have the most value in this transition period. He retained 2 of 3. I’ll take it.
Would’ve loved to see what Walker could do with 30 minutes a game here though.

Guess we’ll just have to see that in Smithfield.
Yep don’t have to tell me. I clamored for him to get 25-30 mpg for 2 years. Should have started alongside Makhel. Should have been a more focal point of offense. In preseason scrimmage he dominated Makhi head to head. Cox saw it differently I guess.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

As much as I liked her, I'm going to guess momma Mitchell and Archie clashed a bit. If Archie just gave into everyone's demands to keep players, he wouldn't be Archie, he would be David. Sorry to see them go, but not at the expense of Archie not having free reign to do whatever he needs to do.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remove Leggett's name from the post?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 2 years ago Remove Leggett's name from the post?
Actually, there's only 3 left.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Care to name the two who signed?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Care to name the two who signed?
Tres, Ileri and Betrand are still in the portal. That's what I'm saying.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Mitchells are in the portal.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm critical of Ish, but I know he's a solid piece to this team moving forward. Glad he's staying.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 2 years ago Mitchells are in the portal.
True, but we know they're not coming back. We don't know about the other three yet.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 2 years ago Mitchells are in the portal.
True, but we know they're not coming back. We don't know about the other three yet.
Honestly, then maybe make it 5.
0 x