Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would also add on to Ramster's comments - We don't know that this was Archie's first hire, either. Austin Carroll is already "in the building," so to speak, which means he's on our radar already. If Archie's associate head coach is some technical mastermind from Ohio, we're probably not going to know two craps about him until the hire is actually announced.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Also- I wouldn't discount Archie's relationship with Thorr. A positive reference from both Sean and Thorr, which would most certainly lead to Archie being willing to trust him with a spot on the staff.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin Carroll hired by David Cox- typical cost saving measure, was only here originally because of the tricky situation with his dad

Austin Carroll retained by Archie Miller- just a solid basketball move, thrilled by his skill set and potential

I’m not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C’MON! :)
And yes, I know, you trust Archie. It’s still funny.
It seems like ages ago that Bozeman was going to be our tactical wizard to shore up end-of-game decisions.
Every message board fan everywhere is convinced their teams’s problems could be easily solved by simply getting a “knockdown shooter” and a “veteran assistant coach” to teach the head coach offense.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

This board changes direction more often than the wind lol.

I'm completely in the camp of trust Archie, and could care less if that means retaining Austin or someone else.

But I don't think we should be bragging about his recruiting chops because he got us the Providence kid with no offers and the MAC transfer who's production dropped by 60% in the A10.
You are contradicting yourself.

1st you completely trust Archie, then you question the bragging that took place. Obvious you don't care for the hire. Which is fine.

It's really the Head Coach that steers the recruiting ship. Success or failure in recruiting freshmen and the all important Portal is with the HC at the end of the day.
No, I don't mind the hire at all. But my point is Austin isn't some proven recruiter. Im taking a shot in the dark that Archie didn't hire him for that reason
Ya, I think you're missing the point here. Ramster and I didn't say he was a proven recruiter. He's not. We noted from our encounters with him he seemed like a hard-working, high-energy assistant who connected with the team. Blueram said that he has no recruiting ability, so Ramster brought up that he has recruited players. Yes, these aren't home runs, but it still proves that Carroll can close the deal with some kids.

My issue is people find something wrong with everything on here. Thinking that we would land 3 home run assistants was never going to happen. Austin can now learn from another Miller and continue to improve as a coach.

I trust Archie!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think people are a bit salty on Austin for a few reasons....
1. I think they saw him as a one for one, when his Dad got ill and URI didn't want to fire him for humanitarian reasons, so we took his son in.
2. We have had such a bad few years and with no great recruits and unable to retain our better players, it is easy to blame the entire coaching staff.

I am willing to see what Austin can bring to a new program, with a new coach, new energy and a new mandate. If Sean Miller saw something in him, and Archie is willing to test him with a position, I think I'll wait and see what Austin can bring to the table.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin Carroll hired by David Cox- typical cost saving measure, was only here originally because of the tricky situation with his dad

Austin Carroll retained by Archie Miller- just a solid basketball move, thrilled by his skill set and potential

I’m not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C’MON! :)
It seems like ages ago that Bozeman was going to be our tactical wizard to shore up end-of-game decisions.
Every message board fan everywhere is convinced their teams’s problems could be easily solved by simply getting a “knockdown shooter” and a “veteran assistant coach” to teach the head coach offense.
So what are these head coaches waiting for then?!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago I think people are a bit salty on Austin for a few reasons....
1. I think they saw him as a one for one, when his Dad got ill and URI didn't want to fire him for humanitarian reasons, so we took his son in.
2. We have had such a bad few years and with no great recruits and unable to retain our better players, it is easy to blame the entire coaching staff.

I am willing to see what Austin can bring to a new program, with a new coach, new energy and a new mandate. If Sean Miller saw something in him, and Archie is willing to test him with a position, I think I'll wait and see what Austin can bring to the table.
You could possibly add a third reason:

3. If we were going to retain one of the green assistants, why not TJ? We have no real connection to Austin, we do with TJ. Of course the connection with Archie is more vital and that's where Austin gets the nod
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I admit I didn’t know too much about Austin but Stevie and Ramster turned me on to him think it’s a very nice 3rd assistant if that’s his role
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago I think people are a bit salty on Austin for a few reasons....

The Assistant Coaches are all on 1 year contracts anyway.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I can't understand your viewpoints because I cannot listen to reasonable opinions. Everything is great or everything is shit. No room at KBB for level headed discussion.

With Coach Cox, everything was shit. Players, shit. Coaches, shit. Warmups, shit. Uniforms, shit. Timeouts, shit (ok this one is true).

With Coach Miller, everything is great. Press conference, great. Jacket, great. Interviews, great. Program improvements, great.

Now we have something (Austin) that was shit and now it is great. Breaks the KBB mind.
6 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

So what are these head coaches waiting for then?!
They’re just dumb, I guess :)
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago

I can't understand your viewpoints because I cannot listen to reasonable opinions. Everything is great or everything is shit. No room at KBB for level headed discussion.

With Coach Cox, everything was shit. Players, shit. Coaches, shit. Warmups, shit. Uniforms, shit. Timeouts, shit (ok this one is true).

With Coach Miller, everything is great. Press conference, great. Jacket, great. Interviews, great. Program improvements, great.

Now we have something (Austin) that was shit and now it is great. Breaks the KBB mind.
I think this is a huge exaggeration.

Most people thought Bozeman would be a fantastic hire and we thought Cox made the right move. Most people also said Cox deserved this season to turn things around. But, unfortunately, Bozeman didn't work out, and Cox didn't turn things around. That's why things got so negative on here. Results matter.

Austin was never shit or great. He's a 3rd assistant. Nice kid and great energy. I'm happy he's staying.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

One of the best posts of the year. 👍
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have spoken favorably about Austin when he was hired, again after I talked to him at his 1st Season Ticket holder Event at the Ryan Center, again after talking to him last summer……… I did NOT change my stance about Austin after the hiring of Miller. I also have commented in the past favorably about Austin’s dad who is imho very knowledgeable and was a good asset to David Cox. I only spoke up because some were criticizing his selection by Miller.

Surprised, to to be honest, that Miller’s very 1st hire would get questioned. Short honeymoon.

I would agree Cox couldn’t do a single thing right per KB but of course that’s not possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ah yes, The X’s and O’s Guy
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I trust Arch on this one nice hire
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Dan “needs a veteran Coach” bit was always one of my favorites. He literally has had a veteran coach in his ear since birth.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Only time will tell if Austin is a good hire. And Miller.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Another possibility, even though they weren't together at Indiana, is Dana Fife. Good resume with 10 years with Tom Izzo.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Another possibility, even though they weren't together at Indiana, is Dana Fife. Good resume with 10 years with Tom Izzo.
Yeah maybe, supposedly there was much friction between him and Woodson.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Another possibility, even though they weren't together at Indiana, is Dana Fife. Good resume with 10 years with Tom Izzo.
Agree. Only hangup in my mind is that Fife's recruiting connections appear to be exclusively in the midwest. That said, if he can open a pipeline there...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

The Dan “needs a veteran Coach” bit was always one of my favorites. He literally has had a veteran coach in his ear since birth.
I think one of my favorite resent posts by people was Bozeman was going to be a cure all for Cox and the team.

Guy looked absolutely lifeless on the bench 95% of the time.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I think one of my favorite resent posts by people was Bozeman was going to be a cure all for Cox and the team.

I thought he was asleep one time. I didn’t see him move for about 10 minutes.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I thought he was asleep one time. I didn’t see him move for about 10 minutes.
He blended in well then with the 1200 fans in their seats
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox isolated himself. Can't blame anyone else.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not finding it negative, I just thought it was funny because most of the players are in the portal. My position's pretty clear, whoever Arch hires, including this guy, is perfect. Your description makes him seem like a good dude, nothing negative...

Speaking of the portal...when you say "left the option to come back", they can't just say nevermind portal, I'm back to Rhody, the coach has to offer a scholarship all over again, right?
I believe that's correct. Every URI player in the portal would have to be recruited here by Archie Miller. Good luck.

. That is correct. Once they enter the portal all scholarship commitments from the original school are no longer in effect.

This was why I never understood why players enter the portal unless they “know” where they would likely wind up. For example, AB enters the portal coming off a knee rebuild and no real Rhody track record, hardly - a slam dunk to upgrade your situation.

I feel very confident Archie has given them all a deadline if they want to come back- he is going to be active in the portal immediately and will not be held hostage by players who are not sure they want to play for:him.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I might have said veteran coach but it was in the context of offensive coordinator type. DH raises the floor of a program. And, in retrospect, I don't think I valued that as much as I probably should have. I would like to think that I can keep an honest perspective on it. I am not sure he is a ceiling type coach, though. That 2018 team had way more offensive talent than it might have felt like in the moment. Not having a top 50 offense with those pieces probably limited the ceiling. Cox and Moore not known for offense. I guess you had to have Ty Boswell for, well, that's another thread And ARD, Cox, Murray the year before. Just would have had one of those guys be a spot, since the recruiting was humming, be a guy who could build out an elite offense. I always loved Al so and he built about a dozen great offenses at URI and BC but the hire could have been 35 years old for all I care. a 35 year old just won the Super Bowl with an innovative offense. Anyway, back to this thread. If Sean and Archie like what Austin has to offer, that is good enough for me. You clearly aren't keeping him for roster continuity. The fact that he is staying is a big positive for me.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not finding it negative, I just thought it was funny because most of the players are in the portal. My position's pretty clear, whoever Arch hires, including this guy, is perfect. Your description makes him seem like a good dude, nothing negative...

Speaking of the portal...when you say "left the option to come back", they can't just say nevermind portal, I'm back to Rhody, the coach has to offer a scholarship all over again, right?
I believe that's correct. Every URI player in the portal would have to be recruited here by Archie Miller. Good luck.

. That is correct. Once they enter the portal all scholarship commitments from the original school are no longer in effect.

This was why I never understood why players enter the portal unless they “know” where they would likely wind up. For example, AB enters the portal coming off a knee rebuild and no real Rhody track record, hardly - a slam dunk to upgrade your situation.
I suspect that AB and others who have their names in the portal have at least one school lined up before doing so. The usual suspects are either programs that recruited them in the past (using our own experience, see Jared Terrell) or the AAU and coaching networks associated with their hometowns (or, why we ended up with a lot of Maryland and D.C. transfers while Cox was here).
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Thorr just said that Archie wants to announce the staff when all of the coaching positions are filled. Should be finalized within the next week or two.
5 x
Common sense is not common.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Here were my notes from Thorr on WPRO:

-Archie top of their list but had mutual interest was right away
-offered him top 3 investments in a10 across travel, salaries, player nutrition/equipment, etc
-Archie wants to announce staff all at once. Should be in 1-2 weeks
-lots of interest in staff positions
-he’s been recruiting hard already
-holding player practices as well

Anybody who listened, please feel free to add any details or corrections.
Last edited by CamsRams 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thanks CamsRams. Appreciate the summary.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I feel like you covered it well. A lot of it was stuff we already knew from following closely
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Good to hear about the assistants. I’m really curious on who they’ll be.

Are the players who are practicing just those who aren’t in the portal?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Good to hear about the assistants. I’m really curious on who they’ll be.
Probably won't happen but would love to have Ashley Howard as one of the assistants.
He was a top recruiter under Jay Wright.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would guess Archie is holding individual player workouts....not enough players left to play 5 on 5, not even close.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I would guess Archie is holding individual player workouts....not enough players left to play 5 on 5, not even close.
Bone, there are 4 players left and none should be a starter. I'm guessing Archie is recruiting.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Good to hear about the assistants. I’m really curious on who they’ll be.
Probably won't happen but would love to have Ashley Howard as one of the assistants.
He would be huge!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
He would be huge!!!
I agree, also. Howard would be an excellent hire. Are you guy’s hearing any rumors linking us to Howard or are we just pissing in the wind? I’m hoping for the former; will have to change my shoes with the later. Lol!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not sure if Arch knows Howard at all but a phone call to him to gauge his interest would be nice
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

25 years ago Jim Harrick identified the 3 things that he needed assistant coaches to do. It is as true today as it was back then. Clue: they are easy to remember.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Not sure if Arch knows Howard at all but a phone call to him to gauge his interest would be nice
Talking to someone who had worked for Coach Howard regarding what he may do next year, they mentioned a few assistant jobs at P5 schools, including 1 that just hired a new coach. I didn't ask but URI wasn't mentioned.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago 25 years ago Jim Harrick identified the 3 things that he needed assistant coaches to do. It is as true today as it was back then. Clue: they are easy to remember.
I'll take a shot 72, Recruit, Recruit, Recruit
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago 25 years ago Jim Harrick identified the 3 things that he needed assistant coaches to do. It is as true today as it was back then. Clue: they are easy to remember.
I'll take a shot 72, Recruit, Recruit, Recruit
I'll take a cheap shot...recruit, lie, and cover-up. (C'mon, it's OK to laugh.)
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A real coach! Good NYC/Jersey connections.

Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago A real coach!

Name sounds familiar where did he play ??
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Is he Brian Woodword’s brother or am I making that up?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, would Woodward be the top assistant? Or #2 assistant?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago Is he Brian Woodword’s brother or am I making that up?
That would be awesome
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL