Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

It was a "momentum swinging play" because he made the shot? URI had already just taken the lead before that play. So you could say that it added to the momentum, instead. That doesn't make it a good shot, even in the moment. And I think Stan and EC were streaking to the basket for a pass...they were WIDE, WIDE open if a certain individual looked around. The shot didn't surprise me because Fatts never saw the other 9 guys, was a poor decision-maker, and a poor passer. We saw that over 4 years. Fatts was concerned about Fatts' game only.

(By your reasoning, any made shot is a good shot. If I'm misconstruing what you're saying, please provide me an example of a made shot that's a bad shot.)

We're all glad he made the shot because if he didn't, we'd all be saying what we said for 4 years...pass the damn ball, especially to guys who are wide open!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago It was a "momentum swinging play" because he made the shot? URI had already just taken the lead before that play. So you could say that it added to the momentum, instead. That doesn't make it a good shot, even in the moment. And I think Stan and EC were streaking to the basket for a pass...they were WIDE, WIDE open if a certain individual looked around. The shot didn't surprise me because Fatts never saw the other 9 guys, was a poor decision-maker, and a poor passer. We saw that over 4 years. Fatts was concerned about Fatts' game only.

(By your reasoning, any made shot is a good shot. If I'm misconstruing what you're saying, please provide me an example of a made shot that's a bad shot.)

We're all glad he made the shot because if he didn't, we'd all be saying what we said for 4 years...pass the damn ball, especially to guys who are wide open!!
Nope.. I wouldn't be. It's a case-by-case situation...Because I understand what taking that shot meant. Our team was finally turning a corner in the game, and Fatts stole the ball from the best player in the country. If he missed the shot, I would have said to myself, damn, that would have been one of the best moments in the history of our program... You take a risk with that shot because if you hit it, the entire arena, announcers, and the bench lose their minds which is exactly what happened. Momentum in sports is significant. I can't believe anyone that watches this game doesn't understand what a shot like that can do for a team at that moment.

Fatts took plenty of dumb shots that he missed and hit. That was not one of them.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I respectfully disagree, 72. I place Fatts above those two - plus he provided some fantastic, standout memories for me. One being against Oklahoma in the tourney.

For me, Fatts was dynamic yet frustrating at times.
Fatts made a steal and took a terrible 3-point shot that went in. (In this case, most people have the ends justifying the means.) Unfortunately, he took many more bad shots that never went in.

Pappy was 10x the player Fatts was.
I’m a big Pappy Owen’s fan, PMMM. He’s a contemporary of mine at Rhody so I was fortunate to see him play in person a lot. Loved his game. I favor him over Fatts.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will never, ever understand the level of insanity that Fatts provokes from some URI fans. Maybe it is explained by the same generational and, uh, socioeconomic differences that led to most NBA fans of a certain age hating AI in the late 90s. Hopefully for Fatts’ sake, the opinion on him among URI fans will normalize over time similar to how AI has become basically universally adored and respected. URI has not had so many first team all-conference players that its fans should disregard one. He also played an important (if not big) part in one of the better seasons the program has had, putting aside old man takes about shot selection. It’s true that his last year here was not great, but I would submit that this past year did a lot to exonerate him. And that’s putting aside the fact that he played a lot of the year hurt. I predict that over time people will come around on Fatts and a generation from now his reputation will be better with our fans than it is today.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Many good points both ways regarding Fatts. I’ll add from experience from my organized playing days, that sometimes you are feeling it, your confidence builds during a game you sense momentum shifting, your adrenalin is flowing so you take that critical big shot. Some go in, some don’t. Fatts was feeling it in that moment, I think. Thank God that memorable shot against the Sooners went in!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I enjoyed watching Fatts play, but I agree, he is nowhere near the player that Pappy Owens was.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago It was a "momentum swinging play" because he made the shot? URI had already just taken the lead before that play. So you could say that it added to the momentum, instead. That doesn't make it a good shot, even in the moment. And I think Stan and EC were streaking to the basket for a pass...they were WIDE, WIDE open if a certain individual looked around. The shot didn't surprise me because Fatts never saw the other 9 guys, was a poor decision-maker, and a poor passer. We saw that over 4 years. Fatts was concerned about Fatts' game only.

Nope.. I wouldn't be. It's a case-by-case situation...Because I understand what taking that shot meant. Our team was finally turning a corner in the game, and Fatts stole the ball from the best player in the country. If he missed the shot, I would have said to myself, damn, that would have been one of the best moments in the history of our program... You take a risk with that shot because if you hit it, the entire arena, announcers, and the bench lose their minds which is exactly what happened. Momentum in sports is significant. I can't believe anyone that watches this game doesn't understand what a shot like that can do for a team at that moment.

Fatts took plenty of dumb shots that he missed and hit. That was not one of them.
Nope not any made shot is a good shot. Fatts took plenty of bad shots that went in...off the dribble tightly guarded, step backs, etc. For example the shot he hit to beat Harvard off the dribble from deep wasn't a good shot in the context of the game and it went in and we won. But the shot against OU wasn't a bad shot. Wide open, 10 toes to the hoop, 2 guys to grab an offensive rebound off a miss. All of those factors made it not a bad shot.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I enjoyed watching Fatts play, but I agree, he is nowhere near the player that Pappy Owens was.
Not one person in this thread or anywhere else said that Fatts Russell was a better player than Pappy Owens. I think someone said he was better than Zach Marbury, which isn’t saying a ton. Nobody said he was better than Pappy Owens.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And fwiw Fatts should never be considered to have his name in the rafters. And Pappy was a better player but neither should he. I loved Pappy but putting him in the rafters would open it up to so many people that should be honored but not at that level. I've revised the first 4 that should go up to include Chubin...

Calverly
Silk Owens
Sly
Chubin
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

^I agree with this also. I’m not saying retire his jersey, just that he takes a lot of over-the-top criticism. I’d prefer we honor some players in the rafters but I’d rather not be the Celtics and retire everyone’s number. Whether it’s 4 guys or 6 or 8, I think you do have to draw a line somewhere as far as limiting it or you quickly arrive at all these edge cases where you go from 6 or 8 clearly deserving guys to 25 guys who could legitimately make a case for being a top 12 or 15 guy.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly TP. At most you want 6-8 jerseys up there eventually. Do it in stages. But if you put Pappy up there you are putting ARD, Kenny Green and others with storied careers but shouldn’t be among the chosen few. Those are the folks you honor in practice facility and other parts of RC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I enjoyed watching Fatts play, but I agree, he is nowhere near the player that Pappy Owens was.
Not one person in this thread or anywhere else said that Fatts Russell was a better player than Pappy Owens. I think someone said he was better than Zach Marbury, which isn’t saying a ton. Nobody said he was better than Pappy Owens.
Someone said Pappy was 10X the player Fatts was. I was agreeing with him, although not necessarily the 10X part....maybe 3X :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago And fwiw Fatts should never be considered to have his name in the rafters. And Pappy was a better player but neither should he. I loved Pappy but putting him in the rafters would open it up to so many people that should be honored but not at that level. I've revised the first 4 that should go up to include Chubin...

Calverly
Silk Owens
Sly
Chubin
Excellent top 4. One could argue that Stephenson should be there before Chubin. They were teammates and I thought Art was slightly the better player. Chubin was a great scorer but Art was a great scorer and the best rebounder in URI history. I'd be happy with either. Somebody should ask Don Kaull. He played with both of them.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Someone said Pappy was 10X the player Fatts was. I was agreeing with him, although not necessarily the 10X part....maybe 3X :lol:
Someone did say that and I have no idea what that someone was doing other than strawmanning so he could post something in his typical disagreeable tone.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago And fwiw Fatts should never be considered to have his name in the rafters. And Pappy was a better player but neither should he. I loved Pappy but putting him in the rafters would open it up to so many people that should be honored but not at that level. I've revised the first 4 that should go up to include Chubin...

Calverly
Silk Owens
Sly
Chubin
Excellent top 4. One could argue that Stephenson should be there before Chubin. They were teammates and I thought Art was slightly the better player. Chubin was a great scorer but Art was a great scorer and the best rebounder in URI history. I'd be happy with either. Somebody should ask Don Kaull. He played with both of them.
I also think this is a good start, and fine with adding Art Stephenson.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Someone did say that and I have no idea what that someone was doing other than strawmanning so he could post something in his typical disagreeable tone.
You only have to look a few posts back……………….
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I respectfully disagree, 72. I place Fatts above those two - plus he provided some fantastic, standout memories for me. One being against Oklahoma in the tourney.

Fatts made a steal and took a terrible 3-point shot that went in. (In this case, most people have the ends justifying the means.) Unfortunately, he took many more bad shots that never went in.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here are Art Stephenson's 3 seasons. He ended up 20th in scoring, although 6th in scoring for those who played 3 years, 1st in rebounds, 2nd in FG% and 6th in scoring average. He AVERAGED 20.4 points and 13.1 rebounds for his career.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1966.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1967.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1968.html
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

By the way, speaking of Don Kaull, I think he should be consulted about this list. He has seen every player play pretty much every game for close to 60 years (except for this year). And he'll be honest. I remember when Jermaine Harris first got here. I was talking to Don about him. He saw him in pre-season practice before any of us had seen him play. He said he wasn't sure what all the hype was about. He said Jermaine couldn't jump and had no explosion. Of course, he never said stuff like that on the air. But he was honest with me. I think he knows more about URI basketball history than anybody alive right now.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was curious and looked up what UCONN has done in this regard fwiw. UCONN has only retired Ray Allen for MBB and Rebecca Lobo for WBB. From Wikipedia.

On December 7, 2018, UConn announced that the #34 worn by Ray Allen would be permanently retired, effective with ceremonies to be held during the Huskies' final 2018–19 home game on March 3, 2019. In its announcement, UConn stated that going forward, number retirement would be reserved for former Huskies players inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, as Allen was earlier that year. At the same time, the Huskies announced that the #50 worn by Rebecca Lobo, a 2017 Naismith Hall inductee, would be retired by UConn women's basketball, with ceremonies held during the season's final women's home game on March 2, 2019. UConn's announcement did not make it clear whether both numbers would be retired across both men's and women's programs, but a university spokesperson clarified that the retirements applied only to the teams that Allen and Lobo competed for, meaning that #50 will remain available in men's basketball and #34 in women's.

Connecticut Huskies MBB retired numbers
No. Player Years played
34 Ray Allen 1993–1996
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

What did you think I was talking about, exactly?

One of the most confusing posts I’ve ever seen on here
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI can hang a banner for Bob Carothers then can certainly hang a banner for Don Kaull for a lifetime of support for URI in general as well as URI basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Bob Carothers? For what, inflicting Jim Baron on everyone? If he goes up there, it's under the name Muskrat Bramble and nothing else.

Kaull is a good idea.

Tyson and Cat should make their way up there.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Carothers might have been a choice once upon a time, but if you use the military mentality of "it only takes one screw up to erase a thousand attaboys" then he shouldn't go up there. That screw up was a doozy, set us back over a decade alone.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I believe Carothers already has a jersey hanging in the rafters. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago I believe Carothers already has a jersey hanging in the rafters. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.
You are correct.

There are 3 in rafters:
Caruthers
Washington
Calverley
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Like there are actually 3 jerseys hanging from the roof of the RC? How have I never seen that...I have heard people here talk about Carothers but I dont I have ever seen it in the building.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes all 3 are up there and hanging together.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought they were in Keaney.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Where are they tho? I have a pic on my phone of the RC rafters with all our NCAA banners and I don't see them amongst those banners. I've been in that building hundreds of times and have never seen them. I must be looking in the wrong place.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Where are they tho? I have a pic on my phone of the RC rafters with all our NCAA banners and I don't see them amongst those banners. I've been in that building hundreds of times and have never seen them. I must be looking in the wrong place.
On the touchline above press row, facing the benches.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Where are they tho? I have a pic on my phone of the RC rafters with all our NCAA banners and I don't see them amongst those banners. I've been in that building hundreds of times and have never seen them. I must be looking in the wrong place.
right above center court on the sideline, the "show" to the sidelines

upper left corner of this picture:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/83679 ... 3/seat-14/
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Washington is #10
Calverley is #3
Carothers is #18

In rafters above where the Media resides.
8091B064-DB74-4239-AB74-5BF657111B1D.jpeg
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ok this makes sense my seats are in 211 and I rarely go to the other side of the arena
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wait a minute. Is the Caruthers up there an actual player from the Keaney years? And not former President Bob Carothers :oops: lol

ah nevermind, looked up the name in the hall of fame, it's not there, so they mean old Muskrat.
Last edited by jcru 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I admit I haven't followed this thread closely, so are talking strictly who SHOULD BE UP THERE or who will be up there?

Thorr said they would start from players already in the URI Hall of Fame, so that limits the candidate pool.

"This should be the epitome -- this is the top of the top. It should be -- we've got the hall of fame. That's really important, and nobody that's not in the Hall of Fame is going to get their jersey retired." -- Thorr Bjorn

Rhody Baseline, Episode 9 - 24:30

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0555229024
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, Cuttino was the whole package. Turned into a phenom his final year under Harrick. A-10 MVP. Elite Eight appearance. Parlayed that into a 2nd round draft pick in the NBA and turned himself into a starter for Houston. He was in the league a decade? He was the ultimate example of "they never saw me coming". His level of both team success and individual success, in the modern era, is as good as it gets.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago I admit I haven't followed this thread closely, so are talking strictly who SHOULD BE UP THERE or who will be up there?

Thorr said they would start from players already in the URI Hall of Fame, so that limits the candidate pool.

"This should be the epitome -- this is the top of the top. It should be -- we've got the hall of fame. That's really important, and nobody that's not in the Hall of Fame is going to get their jersey retired." -- Thorr Bjorn

That brings up another issue. Sly is not in the URI Hall of Fame because he didn't graduate. I guess it was his fault that he was so good that he became an NBA first round draft pick after his junior year?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago I admit I haven't followed this thread closely, so are talking strictly who SHOULD BE UP THERE or who will be up there?

That brings up another issue. Sly is not in the URI Hall of Fame because he didn't graduate. I guess it was his fault that he was so good that he became an NBA first round draft pick after his junior year?
Kinda like Steph Curry
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Yes, I posted Pappy was 10X the player Fatts was. Like a lot of things people post on this board, there's no way to disprove that statement/opinion. 3x better, 5x better...take your pick. Fatts is not even in Pappy's class...whether at URI or in the history of Philly high school hoops.

Fatts' history at URI is characterized by what? And now at Maryland in his single year there? He made nobody better around him. Did talented guys transfer out of the program because of Fatts' ball domination, reckless shooting, and lack of his leadership ability to make URI a true team? We'll never know.

From my perspective, I'd love to play with certain players as my teammates. I don't think guys would say they loved playing with Fatts. (or Eric Leslie, or Herb Dixon, the Celtics Antoine Walker)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafter?

If you don’t retire Sly’s # then no one should get retired. I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. He’s the best player to ever wear Keaney Blue.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If you don’t retire Sly’s # then no one should get retired. I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. He’s the best player to ever wear Keaney Blue.
His number shouldn't be retired because of his kidnapping stint
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If you don’t retire Sly’s # then no one should get retired. I don’t care if he didn’t graduate. He’s the best player to ever wear Keaney Blue.
I agree with the Davidson philosophy that retiring a number, you need a URI degree. And the best player to ever wear a URI jersey is Lamar Odom.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Once we get the ball rolling with Archie and get the student seating section(s) settled, AND have a consistent turnout of students……those section #/s go up…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes, I posted Pappy was 10X the player Fatts was. Like a lot of things people post on this board, there's no way to disprove that statement/opinion. 3x better, 5x better...take your pick. Fatts is not even in Pappy's class...whether at URI or in the history of Philly high school hoops.

Fatts' history at URI is characterized by what? And now at Maryland in his single year there? He made nobody better around him. Did talented guys transfer out of the program because of Fatts' ball domination, reckless shooting, and lack of his leadership ability to make URI a true team? We'll never know.

From my perspective, I'd love to play with certain players as my teammates. I don't think guys would say they loved playing with Fatts. (or Eric Leslie, or Herb Dixon, the Celtics Antoine Walker)
Nobody said that Pappy wasnt 10x the player Fatts was - like you said, that’s subjective and probably hyperbolic but the point that he was clearly a better player isn’t in dispute.

The thing I took exception to is that the only person that brought up Fatts Russell in comparison to Pappy Owens was you. Nobody was talking about that. It was a complete non sequitor seemingly motivated by the fact that you are constitutionally incapable of not being argumentative, even if you have to completely make up a counterargument to respond to.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nobody said that Pappy wasnt 10x the player Fatts was - like you said, that’s subjective and probably hyperbolic but the point that he was clearly a better player isn’t in dispute.

The thing I took exception to is that the only person that brought up Fatts Russell in comparison to Pappy Owens was you. Nobody was talking about that. It was a complete non sequitor seemingly motivated by the fact that you are constitutionally incapable of not being argumentative, even if you have to completely make up a counterargument to respond to.
Plus he didn't have Mens Rea.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lol
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Lamar was not a better college player than Sly.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Lamar was not a better college player than Sly.
So, let's set this right. What is the criteria for a banner? College career? Lifetime career? NCAAT career? What is most important?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
So, let's set this right. What is the criteria for a banner? College career? Lifetime career? NCAAT career? What is most important?
What they did at URI. At least, that's what I think.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
What they did at URI. At least, that's what I think.
If that's the case, Cat has to be up on the list. HIgh.
1 x