Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I love it that there isn't one person that is questioning the coaching change even though only 2/3rds of the roster is in the portal.
It’d be pretty tough for even the biggest trolls here to question firing David Cox and hiring Archie Miller.
I admit being in the “give Cox another season” camp last fall, but I was proven wrong. The hiring of a coach of Archie’s caliber was beyond my dreams.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, Mama Mitchell must be at home right now trying to figure out how to have the twins end up on the same NBA team. LMAO!
She's literally Lavar Ball.
except Mitchell x3 can't carry the Ball's gym bag,
0 x
:lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A winning attitude and the Mitchells are mutually exclusive terms.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
I turned to my wife during the AIC game and said, “there isn’t a single player on either team here that will ever sniff the NBA.”
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I love it that there isn't one person that is questioning the coaching change even though only 2/3rds of the roster is in the portal.
If the team was good last year and was filled with players who we loved and who knew how to win, and the coach we replaced had left on his own volition to pursue another job, then yeah people would be melting down. But this situation is the polar opposite of that so people are riding.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
It’d be pretty tough for even the biggest trolls here to question firing David Cox and hiring Archie Miller.
I admit being in the “give Cox another season” camp last fall, but I was proven wrong. The hiring of a coach of Archie’s caliber was beyond my dreams.
You weren't alone.
I agreed with Thorr in giving Cox last season, because of the prior Covid situation, injury issues, and mixing in the new transfers that may have led to our record in 20-21.

But he didn't deserve a pass this season and in the long run, things worked out for the best with having Archie as our HC going forward.

To Thorr's credit the timing was right and he seized the moment.
Not sure that would have been the case a year ago.
Even Archie admitted he needed this past season for family time and to reflect.
He said as a result he grew as a coach and a person.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He deserved another year.

Because covid, transfers and his first two years were so much better.

We were one or two wins from being an at-large team in 2020.

I dont think after seeing that team play well for most of the year that we'd fall off so drastically.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wanted him gone after last year. We were the least affected team by Covid, so we should have been getting better as the year went on, instead we were getting worse, Cox was showing no growth as the head coach from his first games, and then he didn't know Tre Mitchell was going to miss a game and admitted it to the press. It was obvious that he was way over his skis.

That said, if I had known all along that we'd end up with Archie I would have been happier than a pig in shit to suffer what we did this season. This truly was the equivalent of a team tanking and getting the first overall draft pick, we just got a coach instead of a quarterback
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Wrong. We will not stink next year. Need you to lock that next to you preseason prediction ;)
By stink. I mean a losing record in the A10. We can dumb down our OOC schedule. I believe Archie can coach and rebuild the program but he is not the pied piper as was Hurley and Harrick, and URI doesn't have the cachet of Dayton or Indiana. Plucking a few high quality players from the portal and the freshman class that will lead to immediate success will be a miracle. Let's pray. This is a 3+ year rebuild.
If you are betting, the odds of URI being any good next year are pretty low. But, it's a crazy world out there that I don't think people have rewired their brains fully to. It's just hard when you have been a fan of the sport for 5 or 50 years to consider how it is different. TJ Otzelberger went from winning a lot of games at a school that is probably the best positioned in their conference to win to sort of flaming out at a school with a pretty good pedigree. Sounds sort of familiar. The next year he took over a school that was literally winless in conference. His first year there they went to the sweet 16. One single guy who was in the top 7 in minutes played was on the Iowa State campus 12 months ago. Is that an outlier? Of course. I just don't think you can take anything off the table nowadays. Maybe Archie wants five 2022s and six 2023s and build from the bottom up. Who knows? Not impossible to be a decent team next year. Otzelberger has been recruiting midwest kids for a long time so it's probably plan B for URI. Not sure how many kids Archie recruited want the A10 and I sort of prefer finding kids and watching them grow.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wrong. We will not stink next year. Need you to lock that next to you preseason prediction ;)
By stink. I mean a losing record in the A10. We can dumb down our OOC schedule. I believe Archie can coach and rebuild the program but he is not the pied piper as was Hurley and Harrick, and URI doesn't have the cachet of Dayton or Indiana. Plucking a few high quality players from the portal and the freshman class that will lead to immediate success will be a miracle. Let's pray. This is a 3+ year rebuild.
Wrong. Miracle happening, buckle up.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, Mama Mitchell must be at home right now trying to figure out how to have the twins end up on the same NBA team. LMAO!
She's literally Lavar Ball.
No, Lavar is/was right...big difference.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BUCKLE UP !

down to the debbie downers !
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago

If you are betting, the odds of URI being any good next year are pretty low. But, it's a crazy world out there that I don't think people have rewired their brains fully to. It's just hard when you have been a fan of the sport for 5 or 50 years to consider how it is different. TJ Otzelberger went from winning a lot of games at a school that is probably the best positioned in their conference to win to sort of flaming out at a school with a pretty good pedigree. Sounds sort of familiar. The next year he took over a school that was literally winless in conference. His first year there they went to the sweet 16. One single guy who was in the top 7 in minutes played was on the Iowa State campus 12 months ago. Is that an outlier? Of course. I just don't think you can take anything off the table nowadays. Maybe Archie wants five 2022s and six 2023s and build from the bottom up. Who knows? Not impossible to be a decent team next year. Otzelberger has been recruiting midwest kids for a long time so it's probably plan B for URI. Not sure how many kids Archie recruited want the A10 and I sort of prefer finding kids and watching them grow.
I’m the first to admit I have no idea what route Archie wants to go, and I’m sure to some degree the route he ends up going will be determined by who he can get to come here - if he can get 2 or 3 guys in the portal that he thinks he can build a competitive team around, maybe he decides to go for it. But something he said a lot when he first got the job was that he wanted to build something sustainable the right way. He said that or something similar to it in several settings. To my ear, that doesn’t sound like plan 1A is to try desperately to concoct a juggernaut out of spare parts. If it lines up for him I’m sure he won’t turn down being good next season, but I don’t think he will risk the medium-term project by trying to build it on a shaky foundation. If they end up needing a year to reset the roster and get after it recruiting four year players, that’s fine by me.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BUCKLE UP !

NCAA next year

NO DOUBT
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would love to see him land 2 high rated freshman recruits. Like 4*. That will make a splash and will have the eyes looking forward to the year after this year, with lessened pressure for this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
I’m the first to admit I have no idea what route Archie wants to go, and I’m sure to some degree the route he ends up going will be determined by who he can get to come here - if he can get 2 or 3 guys in the portal that he thinks he can build a competitive team around, maybe he decides to go for it. But something he said a lot when he first got the job was that he wanted to build something sustainable the right way. He said that or something similar to it in several settings. To my ear, that doesn’t sound like plan 1A is to try desperately to concoct a juggernaut out of spare parts. If it lines up for him I’m sure he won’t turn down being good next season, but I don’t think he will risk the medium-term project by trying to build it on a shaky foundation. If they end up needing a year to reset the roster and get after it recruiting four year players, that’s fine by me.
"We're not going to skip any steps"
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago BUCKLE UP !

NCAA next year

NO DOUBT
Got to give me more than that...... Come on ECR!
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago

NCAA next year

NO DOUBT
what more do you want in 11 months??

While I doubt (sorry) we'll be in the tourney next year, if we do make it, that's a complete 180 from where we sit right now. be grateful for that.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Can't wait for those expecting to make the NCAA's next year to be calling for Archie's head when we "underachieve" by finishing somewhere in the middle of the conference(which will be LOADED next year).
7 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sean told Archie: trust Austin Carroll. Carroll's assessment of individuals is playing a big role. It's the only inside Intel he has other than film.
10 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see him land 2 high rated freshman recruits. Like 4*. That will make a splash and will have the eyes looking forward to the year after this year, with lessened pressure for this year.
I haven't looked, but I don't think there are many, if any, unsigned 4* recruits for the '22 class.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago Can't wait for those expecting to make the NCAA's next year to be calling for Archie's head when we "underachieve" by finishing somewhere in the middle of the conference(which will be LOADED next year).
I do not see that which you described as happening here, “not skipping any steps……” is an important part of the foundation, it will take time…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

NCAA next year

NO DOUBT

While I doubt (sorry) we'll be in the tourney next year, if we do make it, that's a complete 180 from where we sit right now. be grateful for that.
I think you read my comment wrong. I want to know why ECR is so convinced we will be dancing. Unless there is something we don't know. Shit, I would be blown away if we dance but I'm not expecting it..
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

I think you read my comment wrong. I want to know why ECR is so convinced we will be dancing. Unless there is something we don't know. Shit, I would be blown away if we dance but I'm not expecting it..
reading is hard.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago Can't wait for those expecting to make the NCAA's next year to be calling for Archie's head when we "underachieve" by finishing somewhere in the middle of the conference(which will be LOADED next year).
I do not see that which you described as happening here, “not skipping any steps……” is an important part of the foundation, it will take time…….
It is definitely happening. I think most fans understand the situation and are being pretty reasonable but a couple of our, um…loudest and most colorful…posters are doing their thing about expecting miracles and “no doubt” we will be in the tournament. It’s cool to have optimism and I don’t totally hate it, as long as it doesn’t turn the other way if, as Big Rhody said, we “underachieve” by not making it in Year 1.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see him land 2 high rated freshman recruits. Like 4*. That will make a splash and will have the eyes looking forward to the year after this year, with lessened pressure for this year.
Blue no reasonable fan would put any pressure on next season. Or the one after that. Regardless of how many 4* he signed.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Blue no reasonable fan would put any pressure on next season. Or the one after that. Regardless of how many 4* he signed.
Waiting for ECR to respond.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Arch is the 2nd best coach we could've possibly got and I won't be calling for his head anytime soon.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Then let's outsource those steps and focus on getting ready to go dancing
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wrong. There is pressure on this guy to win more than he loses. Maybe not NCAA s or Bust pressure, but there's some pressure to "be much better."
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wrong. There is pressure on this guy to win more than he loses. Maybe not NCAA s or Bust pressure, but there's some pressure to "be much better."
Me, you, and two others here could coach and “be much better” than the last two seasons.

It’s not gonna take much.
2 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Waiting for ECR to respond.
He said reasonable
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Arch is the 2nd best coach we could've possibly got and I won't be calling for his head anytime soon.
Who is the best that we could have reasonably have gotten?

The available ones with past success are

Crean
Mack
Howland
Martin

I’d could consider Howland above Miller but not the rest.

Am I forgetting someone?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This is what fanatics said after Hurley was hired.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Who is the best that we could have reasonably have gotten?

The available ones with past success are

Crean
Mack
Howland
Martin

I’d could consider Howland above Miller but not the rest.

Am I forgetting someone?
He wasn’t talking about any of those guys. He was talking about Pitino (who wasn’t available). I’d take Archie over any of those guys. I have zero expectation that Howland will ever coach a good team again. Never know, but it just seems like a decade too late to be excited about him. As far as Pitino, the two fans that have made it clear that next year is the only year that matters to them clearly would have preferred Pitino over Archie. I wouldn’t. I think Archie is perfect for where I want this program to go. He’s at the exact right stage of his career - enough experience that we know he can do it, and enough ahead of him still that he’s still in his prime and highly motivated.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Sean told Archie: trust Austin Carroll. Carroll's assessment of individuals is playing a big role. It's the only inside Intel he has other than film.
Make sense since Austin worked with Sean as video coordinator when Sean won the U-19 USA team that won gold at the 2015 FIBA World Championship.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Sean told Archie: trust Austin Carroll. Carroll's assessment of individuals is playing a big role. It's the only inside Intel he has other than film.
That works great for existing players. How about prospects?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m sure he’d been recruiting for Cox, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Aiming high…
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m sure he’d been recruiting for Cox, too.
That's the problem.
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

NCAA next year

NO DOUBT
Wishful thinking.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m a grasso fan and a Bryant fan. Very happy to see Twan go there. He’ll have a chance at a bid
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gtown to Rhody to Bryant. Thought the kid had more in him than that.
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

I’m surprised he chose Bryant over returning to URI.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He'll get his playing time anyway.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Good Luck Twan. He should flourish in that open system. He will fit right in defensively.
0 x
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

I’ll miss Antwan. Wish him well
0 x
Boo.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Leggett, Berry, AF, and Betrand remaining. I'm starting to get the feeling that if they haven't pulled out of the portal by now, they're not going to.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In that offense he will average 15+ per game and defense, well, they don’t really play defense. I’m betting he puts up big numbers there.
1 x