Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by rhodylaw »

MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. I did really like the length and talent they had and truly believed they could of improved more under the right coach. I have to be honest though the NBA thing is comical. Delroy never made it and he would destroy them.
We better not go further backwards from last year!
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. I did really like the length and talent they had and truly believed they could of improved more under the right coach. I have to be honest though the NBA thing is comical. Delroy never made it and he would destroy them.
Probably a solid shot that the beginning of next year will be a struggle. Also, a good shot that unlike the Cox years this team will improve as the year goes on, if Archie is as good as we think he is as long as they stay relatively healthy.
Last edited by ram1980 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Things we will never know - but I would love to know why that conversation was with the Mitchells. Last week their mom is excited for change and is all on board, this week TRANSFER. Did Archie flat out not want them? Did he say I want you guys but no guarantee you are starting, or getting minutes, or playing together? Did he say, I watched the tape, Makhel is more coachable and can stay? Who knows, but I would love to be a fly on that wall.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Probably a solid shot that the beginning of next year will be a struggle. Also, a good shot that unlike the Cox years this team will improve if Archie is as good as we think he is as long as they stay relatively healthy.
We were 11th in the A10.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Getting an entirely new roster to learn how to play together will be a challenge no doubt, but I'm confident we have the right coach to make it happen.

Might mean some growing pains next season of course, but going in a positive direction is something we haven't seen around here since Dan left.

I would think we will also see a hire or two for the staff soon.

Thorr and Archie might be going to the FF to do some scouting.....many AD's and their coaches do.....and the spring signing period is coming up fast.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would love to see an early sign or two in the fall of some high rated freshmen. Do that and next year is just the waiting.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe we should just do away with senior night.
Maybe you should just be a Celtics season ticket holder.
Speaking of the Celtics they are playing at a totally different level lately. It's amazing how good their defense has become when they do not have to cover for a below average on the defensive end point guard. Timelord might be the best team friendly contract in the league beyond rookie deals.
Take the very shorthanded C's tonite plus the points (8.5?) You're welcome.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree 100% with your statement - if only you applied this to yourself wish your unending bashing of Jermaine Harris.
People defended Harris’ play when he was terrible, I was just posting about his true on court performance, and what everyone else should’ve seen. He was awful, putrid, just plain bad for 3 seasons.

Walker was very good this season and last, and deserved more playing time like everyone said. People are basically saying “eh whatever, his loss, god speed, see you later, he was bad for half the season anyways and we don’t need him.”

Two completely different situations.
I’d have to reread some of those Harris posts, and my memory fades as I get older, but Dude, I feel you were way too personal with Harris. I seem to recall constant attacking and it went way beyond his play. It was almost like he wronged you in some way.
That said, I find a lot of your content this past year to be well informed. You do your homework.
No one said there was gonna be homework. :roll:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s unfortunate. Most size we have had in decades, but it is what it is. Archie has massive roster building to do this off-season.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I love it that there isn't one person that is questioning the coaching change even though only 2/3rds of the roster is in the portal.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I love it that there isn't one person that is questioning the coaching change even though only 2/3rds of the roster is in the portal.
It’d be pretty tough for even the biggest trolls here to question firing David Cox and hiring Archie Miller.
4 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is good news let Arch build from scratch
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I had to laugh at “a program more conducive to my style of play.”
11 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I love it that there isn't one person that is questioning the coaching change even though only 2/3rds of the roster is in the portal.
Well losing most of the players on a bad team with a couple cancers isn’t usually a bad thing.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I had to laugh at “a program more conducive to my style of play.”
I think I laughed out loud for 5 minutes when I read that.

Basically means “we need to find a program that will let us do whatever we want, whenever we want, and still play 30 minutes a game.”
5 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago https://www.on3.com/news/makhi-makhel-m ... ggB99L2mSU

"'Additionally, I have made a decision to enter my name into the transfer portal based on the conversation I had with the incoming coach and we both came to the conclusion that it’s best for me to further my collegiate career with a program more conducive to my style of play. I feel that it is important to consider all my options in order to make a decision that is best for my future,” Makhi and Makhel Mitchell both said in a statement."

WOW! I know players get forced, or recommended, out all the time, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it announced this clearly before. And got to love that they won't even use Archie's name, he's just "incoming coach"
That to me is the biggest tip-off on whose decision this was. Not saying Miller explicitly asked them to leave, but I bet he set expectations. And I bet they didn't like those expectations.
Still catching up, but I'm going with "asked them to leave.". Maybe some of both..."we're going to zig, you only know how to zag...see ya..."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago The Mitchells did not play a style that was conducive to winning basketball games. Selfish offense, bad fouls, empty stats.
But, other than that...
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

In my opinion, we haven't lost a Fatts Tyrese Martin or even a Toppin. We were a team full of mediocre players. No stars. No young freshman that could become studs in a year or two. The twins were the only two that, if everything clicked, could become monsters in the A10, but we all know how many issues they caused. Them declaring for the NBA draft is your answer on if they were ready to grow up and do whatever it takes to become better and wiser basketball players under Archie.

I want guys like Walker, Malik, and Ish to stick around because they worked their asses off for the program, but the reality is they are nothing more than bench pieces on an excellent A10 team. Let's clear this roster and see if Archie can land some transfers and some freshmen that can start giving our program hope again.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm more concerned about players who will be here in 3 years. How many PGs went elsewhere because Billy Baron said he wanted to stay at URI and then left? This clears the deck for the right players to come to URI and start right away. We are going to stink next year but we will have the right culture on which to build.
Wrong. We will not stink next year. Need you to lock that next to you preseason prediction ;)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago You are so much better off without those two. I think the talent was overrated on top of them being uncoachable slugs.
And we all know what happens with uncoachable slugs ... They end up starting their own team, so they can slug harder :lol: :lol:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago The twins was all hype no work and expected things given to them. Good luck elsewhere

As far as Archie, what coach wouldn’t want a blank roster to rebuild. There is a reason they brought him in and if they kids wanna go, bye.
College isn't for everyone. Pretend you are good enough for the draft than go get paid to play in a million leagues overseas. They can play but I think they need to take some real grown up ass kickings on the court and humblings off of it. If they can get through that, they can both make some decent dough. Portal hopping is only going to cause them to lose 1, 2, or 3 years of earnings potential. Maybe get away from the mom but she seems like she would follow them to the Azerbaijani junior league.

At this point, Archie is better of starting with a clean slate. I am sure he has 100 guys he can call that he recruited the last five years that said no to him but are disillusioned in their current spot.
Splitting up...might be a good idea..,
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It’d be pretty tough for even the biggest trolls here to question firing David Cox and hiring Archie Miller.
But...but....but....the recruits! New coach and the players will leave! See??? Told ya! (In shrill voice)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I had to laugh at “a program more conducive to my style of play.”
I have to laugh at "will not consider a return to URI"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also wonder if the twins will split up also ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
In my opinion, we haven't lost a Fatts Tyrese Martin or even a Toppin. We were a team full of mediocre players. No stars. No young freshman that could become studs in a year or two. The twins were the only two that, if everything clicked, could become monsters in the A10, but we all know how many issues they caused. Them declaring for the NBA draft is your answer on if they were ready to grow up and do whatever it takes to become better and wiser basketball players under Archie.

I want guys like Walker, Malik, and Ish to stick around because they worked their asses off for the program, but the reality is they are nothing more than bench pieces on an excellent A10 team. Let's clear this roster and see if Archie can land some transfers and some freshmen that can start giving our program hope again.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Exactly. Completely different situation compared to the last time. The most valuable players would be the Twins, but they come with baggage and are very difficult to root for. It should be fun to see this team built from scratch. It will take a little time, but it will be a success in the near future
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Spot on takes. I have nothing to add about the Mitchell’s beyond what you all posted earlier today.

I expect the coming weeks will be busy here with news of coaching and player additions and I’m really looking forward to it.

As someone posted earlier…onward and upward!
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Wrong. We will not stink next year. Need you to lock that next to you preseason prediction ;)
By stink. I mean a losing record in the A10. We can dumb down our OOC schedule. I believe Archie can coach and rebuild the program but he is not the pied piper as was Hurley and Harrick, and URI doesn't have the cachet of Dayton or Indiana. Plucking a few high quality players from the portal and the freshman class that will lead to immediate success will be a miracle. Let's pray. This is a 3+ year rebuild.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Three year rebuild, OK I have no problem with that, getting good players recruited to the system takes time…..good players want to be coached “hard”……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lets remember that Hurley finished 14th and 10th in his first 2 years. Very similar circumstances except that transfers can play immediately.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Thank God. The twins were a disgrace to the URI uniform. When I watched them all I felt was disgust.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We were lousy with all these guys. We can be lousy without them, but at least we have hope for the future.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I also wonder if the twins will split up also ??
Seems like there's no chance of that based on their statement. Which is a shame because if they did, I think that's where they would find the most success.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago I also wonder if the twins will split up also ??
Seems like there's no chance of that based on their statement. Which is a shame because if they did, I think that's where they would find the most success.
At this point do we really care?

That is for them and their mother to worry about, I moved on.
3 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Something is different about this. I have never felt more calm with 4 players on the roster. Folks need to bring expectations back to reality though. Is there a chance we land some good transfers and dance next season certainly... However I think we are more likely to have a 15-17 win season. Trust the process, it will be worth the wait.
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Lets remember that Hurley finished 14th and 10th in his first 2 years. Very similar circumstances except that transfers can play immediately.
The goals for this coming year in my mind are a team that shows consistent, high level effort and a team that gets better as the year goes on. We've finished 10th and 11th the last two years in a down version of the A10. Yes, in game coaching was an issue but there are a bunch of reasons we were so bad the last two plus years and it's going to take a while just to get things back on track. I'm not going to set unrealistic expectations for this year just to set myself up to be disappointed in Archie because I started with an unfair floor of where we should be
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, Mama Mitchell must be at home right now trying to figure out how to have the twins end up on the same NBA team. LMAO!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of 50 A10 transfers URI players rank in 4 of the top 5.

Of 848 total:
10-Makhi
30-Walker
39-Makhel
57-Leggett

Will be interesting to see how quickly these guys get picked up and where they land

https://evanmiya.com
62225390-A790-4601-923D-6FE652B9DC37.jpeg
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Of 50 A10 transfers URI players rank in 4 of the top 5.

Of 848 total:
10-Makhi
30-Walker
39-Makhel
57-Leggett

Will be interesting to see how quickly these guys get picked up

62225390-A790-4601-923D-6FE652B9DC37.jpeg
Makhi is overrated as it seems he always has been. If I were to choose to have one of them on my team, I'd rather have Makhel.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I am absolutely devastated. Who can we count on now for turnovers and technical fouls?
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, Mama Mitchell must be at home right now trying to figure out how to have the twins end up on the same NBA team. LMAO!
She's literally Lavar Ball.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Faith in Arch.

Yes I'm sure the positives of the Mitchells are still there - size, mainly. It might have been fun to see if Archie could've turned them around.

But I just don't see how those 2 could continue to play on the court at the same time in Miller's (or really anyone's) system.

Maybe this means Walker comes back. Maybe Archie doesn't see a place for any of them.

Tough having a momager and demanding some type of package deal.

Kids should go to a lower level program to go and dominate if they have to play together.

Their attitudes were abhorrent, as was their maturity. It didn't help that they weren't disciplined throughout any of their transgressions - but maybe they didn't want to be.

They were a big reason this team was tough to watch this year. Beyond the bonehead plays, turnovers, missed layups, missed assignments, and obviously the stupid STUPID technicals that they both had a knack for getting - but the flexing for a dunk or block when down 15 points was embarrassing.

Arguing with refs. With coaches. Just sad to watch. Wouldn't have minded if they stayed and Archie got them to fall in, definitely don't mind them leaving. See ya!

My everlasting memory will be of one of them (not sure which) lying on the foul line and begging the ref for a call while the play continued and the RC crowd yelling at him to get his @$$ up.
I was genuinely concerned that the guy behind me was going to get an aneurysm.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, Mama Mitchell must be at home right now trying to figure out how to have the twins end up on the same NBA team. LMAO!
She's literally Lavar Ball.
Except LaMelo and Lonzo are both high IQ players
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

2 words: Rhody 72.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The Mitchell's are gone for sure. IAF and Betrand entered the portal after the coach was hired so it does not seem likely (to me as an outsider) they'd return. Walker would probably have a large role awaiting him if he decides to return. Leggett might benefit from a different training routine IMHO he looked more athletic as a first year player but only saw him on television that year so possibly that skewed my perception. At the very least Leggett played hard consistently. We barely saw Berry play so hard to speculate what he might become as a player. It will be interesting to see if any of them return to the program.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Faith in Arch.

Yes I'm sure the positives of the Mitchells are still there - size, mainly. It might have been fun to see if Archie could've turned them around.

But I just don't see how those 2 could continue to play on the court at the same time in Miller's (or really anyone's) system.

Maybe this means Walker comes back. Maybe Archie doesn't see a place for any of them.

Tough having a momager and demanding some type of package deal.

Kids should go to a lower level program to go and dominate if they have to play together.

Their attitudes were abhorrent, as was their maturity. It didn't help that they weren't disciplined throughout any of their transgressions - but maybe they didn't want to be.

They were a big reason this team was tough to watch this year. Beyond the bonehead plays, turnovers, missed layups, missed assignments, and obviously the stupid STUPID technicals that they both had a knack for getting - but the flexing for a dunk or block when down 15 points was embarrassing.

Arguing with refs. With coaches. Just sad to watch. Wouldn't have minded if they stayed and Archie got them to fall in, definitely don't mind them leaving. See ya!

My everlasting memory will be of one of them (not sure which) lying on the foul line and begging the ref for a call while the play continued and the RC crowd yelling at him to get his @$$ up.
I was genuinely concerned that the guy behind me was going to get an aneurysm.
Are you in 205?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Judging from Antwan's IG it would seem he is good as gone. Reposted the twins message that they are gone and added a heart emoji to Cox's post from Maryland. Reading the tea leaves a bit but I imagine that ship has sailed.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Surprised that no one one has predicted the Mitchell twins will follow David Cox to Maryland so they can reunite with former coach and former school all in a single move! ;)
Would that be allowed??? I have a feeling Cox is happy to be rid of them too.
Cox took a job at the school they'd least likely be at. :lol:
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

No disrespect intended, but does it really matter if none of these guys came back?? They were part of a team that went 15-16 (5-12 in conference) and collectively had a terrible basketball IQ. We can do better, and with Miller at the helm I have no doubt that we will. On to bigger and better things!
1 x