Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And of course, there is zero chance that one will leave and the other will stay.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Faith in Arch.

Yes I'm sure the positives of the Mitchells are still there - size, mainly. It might have been fun to see if Archie could've turned them around.

But I just don't see how those 2 could continue to play on the court at the same time in Miller's (or really anyone's) system.

Maybe this means Walker comes back. Maybe Archie doesn't see a place for any of them.

Tough having a momager and demanding some type of package deal.

Kids should go to a lower level program to go and dominate if they have to play together.

Their attitudes were abhorrent, as was their maturity. It didn't help that they weren't disciplined throughout any of their transgressions - but maybe they didn't want to be.

They were a big reason this team was tough to watch this year. Beyond the bonehead plays, turnovers, missed layups, missed assignments, and obviously the stupid STUPID technicals that they both had a knack for getting - but the flexing for a dunk or block when down 15 points was embarrassing.

Arguing with refs. With coaches. Just sad to watch. Wouldn't have minded if they stayed and Archie got them to fall in, definitely don't mind them leaving. See ya!
16 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man, well said.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mitchells and Walker all heading to Bryant maybe?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Damn, really was hoping they'd stick around, but hopefully it works out for the best for everyone. What are we down to 4 players now?
Yeah 4 players= Malik Martin....Bassy...Abdou Samb.....Jalen Carey
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, well said.
Yes, well said. It’s not like the team flourished with them in the lineup. Gotta get the attitude straightened out. Players need to follow the coaches vision.
I can’t believe how many technicals they got. Almost unheard of at the college level. And yes, the flexing and glaring after a dunk or block when down double digits did get under my skin.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

HARD
We are difficult
We play for keeps

SMART
We are teachable
We know what to do

FAST
We apply pressure
We attack it all

TOGETHER
We are loyal
We don't break

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!!!
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

https://www.on3.com/news/makhi-makhel-m ... ggB99L2mSU

"'Additionally, I have made a decision to enter my name into the transfer portal based on the conversation I had with the incoming coach and we both came to the conclusion that it’s best for me to further my collegiate career with a program more conducive to my style of play. I feel that it is important to consider all my options in order to make a decision that is best for my future,” Makhi and Makhel Mitchell both said in a statement."

WOW! I know players get forced, or recommended, out all the time, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it announced this clearly before. And got to love that they won't even use Archie's name, he's just "incoming coach"
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Re Mitchells: remember my post from early this AM!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Two Headed Monster with more negatives than positives.

Wish them well elsewhere.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago How certain are we that that the twins will stay at URI? Where will it leave URI if they leave?? While they haven't entered the portal, has anyone heard that they are committed to staying? Does Mama Mitchell's tweet mean much??
Just 10 hours ago 72, good call, did you have additional info? Or was it all intuition / hunch?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago https://www.on3.com/news/makhi-makhel-m ... ggB99L2mSU

"'Additionally, I have made a decision to enter my name into the transfer portal based on the conversation I had with the incoming coach and we both came to the conclusion that it’s best for me to further my collegiate career with a program more conducive to my style of play. I feel that it is important to consider all my options in order to make a decision that is best for my future,” Makhi and Makhel Mitchell both said in a statement."

WOW! I know players get forced, or recommended, out all the time, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it announced this clearly before. And got to love that they won't even use Archie's name, he's just "incoming coach"
That to me is the biggest tip-off on whose decision this was. Not saying Miller explicitly asked them to leave, but I bet he set expectations. And I bet they didn't like those expectations.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago https://www.on3.com/news/makhi-makhel-m ... ggB99L2mSU

yup, that's what having a coach as good as Miller does. He's got the stones and the cache to tell admittedly talented players, "thanks but we dont want you here, bye". Whereas a coach like Cox is more under the thumb of good recruits/talents
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’ll take Malik, Cary and Thomas and student body walk on’s with Archie Miller vs what we saw last couple years.

All day.

Won’t come to that tho portalpalooza!
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

The Mitchells did not play a style that was conducive to winning basketball games. Selfish offense, bad fouls, empty stats.
6 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Onward and upward!
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm more concerned about players who will be here in 3 years. How many PGs went elsewhere because Billy Baron said he wanted to stay at URI and then left? This clears the deck for the right players to come to URI and start right away. We are going to stink next year but we will have the right culture on which to build.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. I did really like the length and talent they had and truly believed they could of improved more under the right coach. I have to be honest though the NBA thing is comical. Delroy never made it and he would destroy them.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not surprising that the Mitchells are testing the free agency waters for better situations for themselves. It is very common practice for professionals in sports these days.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good luck boys. Sorry no fooling around with this coach.. refreshing to have a no nonsense guy in charge. Now he just needs to find the right players. Can't wait to see pre game warmups before game one. Maybe there will be some cohesion and rhyme or reason instead of disinterested Helter skelter. Will Carey stay. Would think his skill set fits Archie's style but does his desire fit?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Does this mean less technical fouls and turnovers with a higher team ft shooting percentage next season?
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lots of roster filling to do!
I don't think it will be easy for the twins to stay together as URI is Exhibit A on how that didn't work. Unless, they go down a level.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I'm sorry to see them go. I thought with the right direction, discipline and positive mentoring, they could be very productive. Obviously, Coach Miller doesn't believe their talents are worth the trouble. I wish them luck in whatever direction they take, as well as all of our other players who are in the portal.
This is the direction the game has taken, so I'm not going to be bitter towards any of them.

(Unless they are negative towards us in any way, and then all bets are off.)
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Does this mean less technical fouls and turnovers with a higher team ft shooting percentage next season?
As far as I'm concerned bad vibes have left the building. I guess the only one's I'll be screaming at next season in a negative way will be the refs. I was really tired of Makhi Mitchell trying to play like Magic Johnson without the handle, court vision, pinpoint passing , or ability to finish contested in the paint.
Last edited by DeanDome88 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I thought they might get a chance to play low post under Arch. But I bet when he said you will not bring the ball up and you won't shoot 3pters they probably hesitated. When he said you are sitting with a stupid tech they said bye bye.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that one.

My guess is Archie saw what we all saw, in that they can’t be on the floor together in the modern day game. Put aside all their antics, there’s 40mpg for a true center. They likely weren’t willing to split that down the middle, and my guess is they continue to be a package deal
2 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

You are so much better off without those two. I think the talent was overrated on top of them being uncoachable slugs.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I thought they might get a chance to play low post under Arch. But I bet when he said you will not bring the ball up and you won't shoot 3pters they probably hesitated. When he said you are sitting with a stupid tech they said bye bye.
Or he might have said you won't be on the floor together; or one of you can stay but not both.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I thought they might get a chance to play low post under Arch. But I bet when he said you will not bring the ball up and you won't shoot 3pters they probably hesitated. When he said you are sitting with a stupid tech they said bye bye.
Or he might have said you won't be on the floor together; or one of you can stay but not both.
Probably all of it Iggy.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If they aren't willing to change their ways, then we don't need them here.

Archie is the boss, not the players.

He's not going to make a "deal" like Cox did.

Bravo!

This is going to end up being a virtually complete rebuild, but I'm on board with it.

Archie will get his players, with HIS kind of attitude...as in TEAM first, not ME first.

Fortunately, with the transfer rules, it won't take nearly as long to turn things around.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sorry to see them go. I thought with the right direction, discipline and positive mentoring, they could be very productive. Obviously, Coach Miller doesn't believe their talents are worth the trouble. I wish them luck in whatever direction they take, as well as all of our other players who are in the portal.
This is the direction the game has taken, so I'm not going to be bitter towards any of them.

(Unless they are negative towards us in any way, and then all bets are off.)
I agree with this take somewhat. In my opinion tho in order to maximize the twins you really would need to build the offense around them and run your whole attack through them. Miller probably doesn’t want to deviate from his plans to accommodate the twins. There might not be any animosity either way, Miller might not want two virtually identical players requiring equal playing time.

I haven’t studied Miller’s offensive philosophy but I don’t think he wants to run anything resembling a UCLA / Wooden offense. Maybe our DaytonFlyerFan friend can chime in. Been looking to study Flyer and IU tape a bit but just haven’t had the time.

In summary it’s hard to find a system to fit 2 identical players (bigs)requiring equal playing time in a starting D1 lineup. I would not have a clue how to run a system around that. Maybe look at old Jacksonville twin towers tape ):

In retrospect the twins experiment just might have been what cost Cox his job.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie's offensive system revolves around constant movement and sharing the ball.

Doesn't fit the twins at all, even without their attitudes.

His offense will not resemble anything we've seen around here since Penders and Harrick.

A real motion offense! What's that you say?
3 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

The twins was all hype no work and expected things given to them. Good luck elsewhere

As far as Archie, what coach wouldn’t want a blank roster to rebuild. There is a reason they brought him in and if they kids wanna go, bye.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago How certain are we that that the twins will stay at URI? Where will it leave URI if they leave?? While they haven't entered the portal, has anyone heard that they are committed to staying? Does Mama Mitchell's tweet mean much??
Just 10 hours ago 72, good call, did you have additional info? Or was it all intuition / hunch?
Feelers are put out before final decisions are made.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago In retrospect the twins experiment just might have been what cost Cox his job.
The win/loss record may back you up:

David Cox Record before the Mitchells: 39-24 (.619)
David Cox Record with the Mitchells: 25-31 (.446)
6 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago The twins was all hype no work and expected things given to them. Good luck elsewhere

As far as Archie, what coach wouldn’t want a blank roster to rebuild. There is a reason they brought him in and if they kids wanna go, bye.
College isn't for everyone. Pretend you are good enough for the draft than go get paid to play in a million leagues overseas. They can play but I think they need to take some real grown up ass kickings on the court and humblings off of it. If they can get through that, they can both make some decent dough. Portal hopping is only going to cause them to lose 1, 2, or 3 years of earnings potential. Maybe get away from the mom but she seems like she would follow them to the Azerbaijani junior league.

At this point, Archie is better of starting with a clean slate. I am sure he has 100 guys he can call that he recruited the last five years that said no to him but are disillusioned in their current spot.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Does this mean less technical fouls and turnovers with a higher team ft shooting percentage next season?
……addition by subtraction…..
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe we should just do away with senior night.
Maybe you should just be a Celtics season ticket holder.
Speaking of the Celtics they are playing at a totally different level lately. It's amazing how good their defense has become when they do not have to cover for a below average on the defensive end point guard. Timelord might be the best team friendly contract in the league beyond rookie deals.

ugh! unfortunately this didn't age well. Williams out several weeks with a torn meniscus.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If they aren't willing to change their ways, then we don't need them here.

Archie is the boss, not the players.

He's not going to make a "deal" like Cox did.

Bravo!

This is going to end up being a virtually complete rebuild, but I'm on board with it.

Archie will get his players, with HIS kind of attitude...as in TEAM first, not ME first.

Fortunately, with the transfer rules, it won't take nearly as long to turn things around.
I keep saying we aren't going to have immediate success; it will take a little time for Archie to turn things around and build his culture with his roster.

I have full confidence that he will reload the roster with the right players to move this program in a positive direction.

Right now, I am actually more curious to see how he will fill out his staff.
That will give us a much better opportunity in searching the portal and recruitment.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Raise your hand if you would like to be a fly on the wall, for the convo between Coach Miller and the Mitchels……..
….only the fly knows for sure……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not too surprised. Wouldn't have had a problem with them staying either.

We sure got some spots to fill though...

We got a empty ass roster...

Can't wait when the portal starts blowing up for us. Gonna be fun!
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NBA Draft? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GTFOH.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bye Felicia
3 x
:lol:
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Faith in Arch.

Yes I'm sure the positives of the Mitchells are still there - size, mainly. It might have been fun to see if Archie could've turned them around.

But I just don't see how those 2 could continue to play on the court at the same time in Miller's (or really anyone's) system.

Maybe this means Walker comes back. Maybe Archie doesn't see a place for any of them.

Tough having a momager and demanding some type of package deal.

Kids should go to a lower level program to go and dominate if they have to play together.

Their attitudes were abhorrent, as was their maturity. It didn't help that they weren't disciplined throughout any of their transgressions - but maybe they didn't want to be.

They were a big reason this team was tough to watch this year. Beyond the bonehead plays, turnovers, missed layups, missed assignments, and obviously the stupid STUPID technicals that they both had a knack for getting - but the flexing for a dunk or block when down 15 points was embarrassing.

Arguing with refs. With coaches. Just sad to watch. Wouldn't have minded if they stayed and Archie got them to fall in, definitely don't mind them leaving. See ya!

My everlasting memory will be of one of them (not sure which) lying on the foul line and begging the ref for a call while the play continued and the RC crowd yelling at him to get his @$$ up.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would have loved to have them back and actually be coached, but ever since high school, this has been the norm.

Jump from school to school when things don’t go their way, and try to get on a team where it all revolves around them.

Definitely very talented, but the headaches and immaturity will not be missed.
4 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Bryant University roster2022-2023
Charles Pride
Peter Kiss (if he stays)
Sherif Kenney transfer mid season from Lasalle Atlantic 10 Sixth Man of the Year 2020-2021 season
If they add Antwan Walker.
I would say that is a very very very good team!!!!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Surprised that no one one has predicted the Mitchell twins will follow David Cox to Maryland so they can reunite with former coach and former school all in a single move! ;)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Surprised that no one one has predicted the Mitchell twins will follow David Cox to Maryland so they can reunite with former coach and former school all in a single move! ;)
Would that be allowed??? I have a feeling Cox is happy to be rid of them too.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Love this

Archie can build with his guys now !
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Phew!! Two less big things to worry about.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund