Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Twan would dominate in that league. Grasso prob still a year away from getting a major upgrade offer. If URI and Umass didn’t even really consider him that would indicate he’s not on A10 radar yet.
I think dominate is a little bit of a strong word for Walker. I agree that it would be a good fit for both him and Bryant, but don’t think Walker is dominating. He just has never showed himself to be do that and is not a great shooter. He could probably put up 12 to 13 points a game and 6 rebounds which would be a very nice compliment to Kiss, but if Kiss returns he is by far the star player putting up 20 a game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I’m still not over this. 2 year players usually get their degrees from URI. How many of your friends and classmates transferred in from CCRI or another school to finish their degree in Kingston? Are they not alums either?

The donor who’s name will be on our practice facility spent a year at URI.

This is college sports. The biggest tie most of us on here have to the school is our degree.

Yeah obviously their college experience is a bit different with NIL and transfers - but that just allows them to be like every other kid.

If a music major was making CD’s on the side and selling them, that’s not against the rules - but a kid selling his autograph somehow is? What’s the difference?

Playing basketball at a school like URI is a full time job and then some. The amount of money and exposure they can bring to the school is an insane ROI for the University against the scholarship afforded.

1 year, 1 month, 1 game - if those kids sign up to put their bodies on the line in a Keaney Blue jersey, the right way, and wind up with the same degree I proudly hang in my office? The least we can do for them is an extra standing ovation on their way out the door.
Can confirm
So URI allows athletes to graduate with less than 60 credits at URI?
60 credits is the threshold
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago What the hell?? I hope this is an academic decision.
Certainly doesn't make much sense from a basketball perspective, unless he's just looking to put up numbers while staying in Rhode Island for some reason. Against Bryant in 2021, Walker went 4-for-4 with eight boards and two blocks, and the Mitchells combined for 30 points and 25 rebounds, so I imagine he could do serious damage against that competition.
Putting up numbers is fun. I started a 4th intramural team at our frat, just so I could be the best player. THAT was a blast...
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Can confirm
So a 1 year basketball player can't get a degree. Correct?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Twan would dominate in that league. Grasso prob still a year away from getting a major upgrade offer. If URI and Umass didn’t even really consider him that would indicate he’s not on A10 radar yet.
I think dominate is a little bit of a strong word for Walker. I agree that it would be a good fit for both him and Bryant, but don’t think Walker is dominating. He just has never showed himself to be do that and is not a great shooter. He could probably put up 12 to 13 points a game and 6 rebounds which would be a very nice compliment to Kiss, but if Kiss returns he is by far the star player putting up 20 a game.
Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t that a downgrade for Walker?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes he did. Kiss declared for the NBA Draft
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Yes he did. Kiss declared for the NBA Draft
Will he get picked?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Will he get picked?
No
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Will he get picked?
No
I can’t believe he would have hired an agent. He’ll go through the evaluation process, be told he will not be drafted and return to Bryant for his SEVENTH year of college.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Will he get picked?
No
I can’t believe he would have hired an agent. He’ll go through the evaluation process, be told he will not be drafted and return to Bryant for his SEVENTH year of college.
He started College in September 2016
0D8BD26E-1D13-4A9F-8F67-13DB5FF477F3.png
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Twan to Bryant makes me crack up

Way to challenge yourself my goodness
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he wants to go to Bryant, good bye and good riddance, sorry.

We need players who want to be here.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The question with Bryant being....will Grasso be there next year?
Hey, what do I know? Nothing, but maybe the re-recruiting of Walker did not go so good, and Grasso is staying and going for the NEC fences…..no?
I thought I read that Bryant was moving to America East for next season?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Didn't Peter Kiss declare for the NBA draft forgoing his last year of eligibility?
Only if he also signed with an agent
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Didn't Peter Kiss declare for the NBA draft forgoing his last year of eligibility?
[/quote don't know if he did, you can pull out of the draft by a certain date as long as you don't hire an agent. Fatts filed for the draft last year
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I respect wherever Twan wants to go. I'd love him back but I think we got the best player to return...Martin was the better player late in the year..In the final 7 games, Martin averaged 10 pts and 6 rebs. Including dropping 20 against Richmond.

I don't think Walker will have a different role next season, and he likely wants to go to a program where he is the focal point like Bryant. I hope we can find more of a stretch 4 to play with one of the twins in the starting 5.

I trust whatever Archie wants to do!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I respect wherever Twan wants to go. I'd love him back but I think we got the best player to return...Martin was the better player late in the year..In the final 7 games, Martin averaged 10 pts and 6 rebs. Including dropping 20 against Richmond.

I don't think Walker will have a different role next season, and he likely wants to go to a program where he is the focal point like Bryant. I hope we can find more of a stretch 4 to play with one of the twins in the starting 5.

I trust whatever Archie wants to do!!
Yeah someone a little bigger than Twan maybe.

Gonna need another hig regardless. Can't have just two of them

I guess Abdou Samb is staying? Who knows what he can do though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No
He started College in September 2016

0D8BD26E-1D13-4A9F-8F67-13DB5FF477F3.png

From the article by Zagoria…..

He also has the option of returning to campus for another season depending on the feedback he receives from NBA personnel.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2022/03/brya ... utType=amp
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My first reaction for Twan to Bryant was why go there but after thinking about it why not it’s his last year and he probably wants to be the man and put up maybe 20 and 10 in that league if Kiss is gone , he may not want to transfer up and risk a small role

I highly doubt Kiss returns
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

For Walker it is everything a 5th year senior would want. A key role on a team that has a good chance to repeat as conference champions and give him a shot at competing on the biggest stage in the NCAA tournament. A big 3 of Kiss, Pride and Walker would be fun to watch.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

How certain are we that that the twins will stay at URI? Where will it leave URI if they leave?? While they haven't entered the portal, has anyone heard that they are committed to staying? Does Mama Mitchell's tweet mean much??
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago How certain are we that that the twins will stay at URI? Where will it leave URI if they leave?? While they haven't entered the portal, has anyone heard that they are committed to staying? Does Mama Mitchell's tweet mean much??
Are you Max Kellerman?
4 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Why wouldn't their credits from their previous institution transfer over?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What would the benefit be for Kiss to return for his 7th year? Lets say he has a masters degree... what would a 7th year do? He could average 35ppg, but he'd still essentially be the same player from a professional perspective. May as well sign with an agent, and start grinding out a professional career either in the minors with a goal of making the NBA, or overseas.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I love how we praised Walker all season, said he was our best player, needed to play more, etc etc.

Now we're trashing him on his (potential) way out, yet all of us have said this season "can't rely on others teams/ message boards to judge a player, they just have sour grapes...."

....yet some here are doing that same exact thing!
5 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would hate to see walker go, I thought he was our best player most of the year.

But I trust Archie. He’s got a lot more coaching success than anyone on this board.

He knows what a rebuild takes. I’ll trust he has an idea for what he wants to do and how to be successful.

If it means Twan goes elsewhere, I’ll tip my cap to him and thank him for what he did here.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

So Kuran and Stan didn’t deserve our admiration for what they did? Fuck outta here with that take.

What about Xavier Munford? Got a guy to buy in to a rebuild. Same with Gil Biruta.

This is probably the worst take I’ve read on a board full of them this time of year.

If you want to wear this jersey and play for this school the right way - I’ll love you. That’s what being a fan is about.
Maybe we should just do away with senior night.
Maybe you should just be a Celtics season ticket holder.
Speaking of the Celtics they are playing at a totally different level lately. It's amazing how good their defense has become when they do not have to cover for a below average on the defensive end point guard. Timelord might be the best team friendly contract in the league beyond rookie deals.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I would like to see Walker stay. I think he would thrive in an up tempo offense. Very athletic. Can run the floor. High energy player. That being said it has to be a mutual all in agreement between him and Miller. Also, as much as the Mitchells drive me crazy, I think they are athletic enough to thrive in an up tempo offense.. can't wait to see how Archie shakes this all out.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago I would like to see Walker stay. I think he would thrive in an up tempo offense. Very athletic. Can run the floor. High energy player. That being said it has to be a mutual all in agreement between him and Miller. Also, as much as the Mitchells drive me crazy, I think they are athletic enough to thrive in an up tempo offense.. can't wait to see how Archie shakes this all out.
Walker has been a decent player for us and probably the best passer among our bigger guys.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I love how we praised Walker all season, said he was our best player, needed to play more, etc etc.

Now we're trashing him on his (potential) way out, yet all of us have said this season "can't rely on others teams/ message boards to judge a player, they just have sour grapes...."

Who's trashing him? Walker was perfect during the first half of the season. He was awesome... I thought he regressed as the season went on and Martin got better. That's not bashing a player. That's simply how I see it.

Trashing a player is what you did to Jermaine Harris. We are all discussing what we think Twan's role will be here or at other programs, and I see nothing wrong with that. I want him back because I think he'll still make a good impact, but I get if he wants to be a full-time starter somewhere else.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I would hate to see walker go, I thought he was our best player most of the year.

But I trust Archie. He’s got a lot more coaching success than anyone on this board.

He knows what a rebuild takes. I’ll trust he has an idea for what he wants to do and how to be successful.

If it means Twan goes elsewhere, I’ll tip my cap to him and thank him for what he did here.
...and honor him at the Bryant's Senior Night!

Totally just kidding and shit stirring lolol.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I would hate to see walker go, I thought he was our best player most of the year.

Blue Man, you are forgetting the great Rhody72, who is the best coach ever - remember how he taught Jimmy Baron free throw shooting technique.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I love how we praised Walker all season, said he was our best player, needed to play more, etc etc.

I agree 100% with your statement - if only you applied this to yourself wish your unending bashing of Jermaine Harris.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree 100% with your statement - if only you applied this to yourself wish your unending bashing of Jermaine Harris.
YUP....to THIS!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

About time. He's in his 28th year of college.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

People defended Harris’ play when he was terrible, I was just posting about his true on court performance, and what everyone else should’ve seen. He was awful, putrid, just plain bad for 3 seasons.

Walker was very good this season and last, and deserved more playing time like everyone said. People are basically saying “eh whatever, his loss, god speed, see you later, he was bad for half the season anyways and we don’t need him.”

Two completely different situations.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

Why wouldn't their credits from their previous institution transfer over?
For the most part you can only transfer in 60 credits. The more likely scenario would be to transfer URI credits back to the previous school for a degree.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

People defended Harris’ play when he was terrible, I was just posting about his true on court performance, and what everyone else should’ve seen. He was awful, putrid, just plain bad for 3 seasons.

Walker was very good this season and last, and deserved more playing time like everyone said. People are basically saying “eh whatever, his loss, god speed, see you later, he was bad for half the season anyways and we don’t need him.”

I’d have to reread some of those Harris posts, and my memory fades as I get older, but Dude, I feel you were way too personal with Harris. I seem to recall constant attacking and it went way beyond his play. It was almost like he wronged you in some way.
That said, I find a lot of your content this past year to be well informed. You do your homework.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Walkers Final 7 games
5.3 ppg
4.4 rebs
25% 3PT
50% FT

Martins Final 7 games
10.3 ppg
6.3 rebs
31% 3PT
46% FT

Walker was our best player early on when Cox refused to start him. Martin was a better player late. I tend to want the player that was better later in the season. That doesn't mean I'm bashing Walker. I liked Martin back over him. In a perfect world, both return. I don't see how people have attacked Walker on here. If anything, most have said they want him back..

I hope Archie convinces him to stay!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I’d have to reread some of those Harris posts, and my memory fades as I get older, but Dude, I feel you were way too personal with Harris. I seem to recall constant attacking and it went way beyond his play. It was almost like he wronged you in some way.
That said, I find a lot of your content this past year to be well informed. You do your homework.

Yea, maybe I did go a little overboard at times. Was absolutely nothing personal at all (never spoken to him), I just know bad basketball when I see it, and was just amazed some here thought he was providing valuable minutes.

And yes, I don’t like the ole hot take/blasphemous posting, always feel like I should back up what I write.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Walkers Final 7 games
5.3 ppg
4.4 rebs
25% 3PT
50% FT

Martins Final 7 games
10.3 ppg
6.3 rebs
31% 3PT
46% FT

Walker was our best player early on when Cox refused to start him. Martin was a better player late. I tend to want the player that was better later in the season. That doesn't mean I'm bashing Walker. I liked Martin back over him. In a perfect world, both return. I don't see how people have attacked Walker on here. If anything, most have said they want him back..

Honest question, why are you using 7 for the cutoff? Seems really arbitrary
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Walkers Final 7 games
5.3 ppg
4.4 rebs
25% 3PT
50% FT

Martins Final 7 games
10.3 ppg
6.3 rebs
31% 3PT
46% FT

Honest question, why are you using 7 for the cutoff? Seems really arbitrary
I think that's when Cox made the switch in the lineup but maybe I'm wrong. My point is I felt Martin took advantage of starting more than Walker did. If I'm wrong on when Cox made the switch to the starting lineup fine. I didn't dig deep enough I just guessed and remember it being pretty late in the year...I still think Martin was a better player later in the year regardless if its the final 7 or final 10 games.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This tells you about the conversation they had with Archie.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago This tells you about the conversation they had with Archie.
Yeah, I guess they didn’t like what they heard.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago This tells you about the conversation they had with Archie.
Yeah, I guess they didn’t like what they heard.
yeah, pretty sure it was when Archie said "accountability"
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Momma Mitchell also scrubbed her twitter completely clean of anything since December 4th 2021. She also changed her twitter name to no name. And the @luckymeimdone. I wonder if she is not happy with their decision or what. She seemed fully on board with the hire and them staying. So yeah it would seem that meeting did not go well.

They have extreme talent I just do not think they will get out of their own way to reach their full potential. A lot of emotional maturity needs to occur. I do not think Archie wanted that in his program.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Topic title and first post updated.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn, really was hoping they'd stick around, but hopefully it works out for the best for everyone. What are we down to 4 players now?
0 x