Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by RAM67 »

My wife asked me why I was watching St. Peters instead of PC as I always talked of being a homer. I told her that PC was not on my list, but I would not disparage their success this year. But the outcome of the two games was exactly what I was hoping for.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Well yeah not betting the house on it.
And yes, it is early yet, but at this time all we can do is speculate.

I am riding the Archie train like everyone else here.
But let's be real here, last season we finished 11th and there a bunch of really good/solid teams we would have to leapfrog to even be in the discussion.

Not saying that isn't impossible, but not probable.
I would be thrilled if we were in the NIT 22-23.

Not saying that Archie won't take us to the promised land, just probably not next season.
NIT next year would be a disappointment.
Don’t make me quote Winston Wolf if you get the reference.
I do not...
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

NIT next year would be a disappointment.
Don’t make me quote Winston Wolf if you get the reference.
I do not...
Have you seen the movie pulp fiction?

(Not safe for work)

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

You do this all the time Ace. Who cares. Malik is back.
People that actually care about the players. Those people care.
This game has changed. It's not 4 year players anymore. I'm not a parent of a bb player. I'm a season ticket holder. I won't honor a "senior" who played 1 or 2 years here. Welcome to the new world.
So Kuran and Stan didn’t deserve our admiration for what they did? Fuck outta here with that take.

What about Xavier Munford? Got a guy to buy in to a rebuild. Same with Gil Biruta.

This is probably the worst take I’ve read on a board full of them this time of year.

If you want to wear this jersey and play for this school the right way - I’ll love you. That’s what being a fan is about.
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oregon St went from the elite 8 to 3-28
Iowa St went from 2-22 to the Sweet 16

So I guess anything is possible let’s see what the roster looks like
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m just saying if you are convinced we are tournament bound next season, while you could be right, you could easily be setting yourself up for disappointment. I’m more concerned with the long view of setting up a turn key program that will make for long term success. If that means a less than stellar first year under Archie to build the foundation, so be it.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I know for sure, we'll be better this next season than we've been the past few by in game coaching decisions alone.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 porta

Unread post by ace »

It’s NCAA or Bust and all that, but it’s possible for Rhody to have a really good season next year and still not make the tournament. Conference and other factors make that a tough bar, especially in year 1. But, there will be optimism and obvious growth and that helps you get through a lot as a fan.
9 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 porta

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago It’s NCAA or Bust and all that, but it’s possible for Rhody to have a really good season next year and still not make the tournament. Conference and other factors make that a tough bar, especially in year 1. But, there will be optimism and obvious growth and that helps you get through a lot as a fan.
I mean just getting above .500 does the trick. That would mean 16 wins. 1 more win than this year. 4 more and we are at 20. I need to ask Arch his TO philosophy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

This game has changed. It's not 4 year players anymore. I'm not a parent of a bb player. I'm a season ticket holder. I won't honor a "senior" who played 1 or 2 years here. Welcome to the new world.
So Kuran and Stan didn’t deserve our admiration for what they did? Fuck outta here with that take.

What about Xavier Munford? Got a guy to buy in to a rebuild. Same with Gil Biruta.

This is probably the worst take I’ve read on a board full of them this time of year.

If you want to wear this jersey and play for this school the right way - I’ll love you. That’s what being a fan is about.
Maybe we should just do away with senior night.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have no problem with doing away with senior night. It was about being with a program for 4 years. I just do not believe those days will ever come back. This is the new NCAA
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Get off my lawn.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Let's give a round of applause for a senior who played one year here. Sponsored by Gansett Wraps, Flood Ford and the Ocean Mist.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

How about a player having 2 Senior nights
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Any rumors on the players still in the portal?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe we should just do away with senior night.
Maybe you should just be a Celtics season ticket holder.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm pleased that Malik is staying one more year for all the reasons given above. But, I would rather have Ish or Twan returning. Ish had a terrible year offensively but this problem is correctable and he has three more years of eligibility. Ish may just want to leave because of his loyalty to Cox. I've heard the younger Martin brother argument, but that didn't stop Malik from going elsewhere. Twan was recruited over by Cox, why wouldn't he want to stay?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm pleased that Malik is staying one more year for all the reasons given above. But, I would rather have Ish or Twan returning. Ish had a terrible year offensively but this problem is correctable and he has three more years of eligibility. Ish may just want to leave because of his loyalty to Cox. I've heard the younger Martin brother argument, but that didn't stop Malik from going elsewhere. Twan was recruited over by Cox, why wouldn't he want to stay?
I thought to recruit over someone meant to bring in a better player for the same role? If that happened with Twan, I missed it.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm pleased that Malik is staying one more year for all the reasons given above. But, I would rather have Ish or Twan returning. Ish had a terrible year offensively but this problem is correctable and he has three more years of eligibility. Ish may just want to leave because of his loyalty to Cox. I've heard the younger Martin brother argument, but that didn't stop Malik from going elsewhere. Twan was recruited over by Cox, why wouldn't he want to stay?
Ish was not a starting level guard in the A10 this year and probably is not a starter if he stays. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player, but he would need to accept a lesser role. I would love Twan to come back, but I don’t see a significantly expanded role for him next year. He would have to be happy with a similar role on the team next year which really only makes sense for him if we are on track to be an NCAA team. He can play the same role on a lot of good teams and I would understand if he wants to chase the NCAA tournament berth.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought to recruit over someone meant to bring in a better player for the same role? If that happened with Twan, I missed it.
I think what 72 is insinuating is Cox brought in Makhi and Makhel. By starting both of them that moved Walker from a starting spot to coming in off the bench.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Walker comes back, I think he'd start with one of the twins, unless we get a really good transfer big. I'm confident Archie would use our bigs much better than Dave did.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I’m still not over this. 2 year players usually get their degrees from URI. How many of your friends and classmates transferred in from CCRI or another school to finish their degree in Kingston? Are they not alums either?

The donor who’s name will be on our practice facility spent a year at URI.

This is college sports. The biggest tie most of us on here have to the school is our degree.

Yeah obviously their college experience is a bit different with NIL and transfers - but that just allows them to be like every other kid.

If a music major was making CD’s on the side and selling them, that’s not against the rules - but a kid selling his autograph somehow is? What’s the difference?

Playing basketball at a school like URI is a full time job and then some. The amount of money and exposure they can bring to the school is an insane ROI for the University against the scholarship afforded.

1 year, 1 month, 1 game - if those kids sign up to put their bodies on the line in a Keaney Blue jersey, the right way, and wind up with the same degree I proudly hang in my office? The least we can do for them is an extra standing ovation on their way out the door.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m still not over this. 2 year players usually get their degrees from URI. How many of your friends and classmates transferred in from CCRI or another school to finish their degree in Kingston? Are they not alums either?

This is college sports. The biggest tie most of us on here have to the school is our degree.

Yeah obviously their college experience is a bit different with NIL and transfers - but that just allows them to be like every other kid.

If a music major was making CD’s on the side and selling them, that’s not against the rules - but a kid selling his autograph somehow is? What’s the difference?

Playing basketball at a school like URI is a full time job and then some. The amount of money and exposure they can bring to the school is an insane ROI for the University against the scholarship afforded.

1 year, 1 month, 1 game - if those kids sign up to put their bodies on the line in a Keaney Blue jersey, the right way, and wind up with the same degree I proudly hang in my office? The least we can do for them is an extra standing ovation on their way out the door.
Retire #35

Degree not required
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking of the '98 team. Luther Clay and Josh King were key members of that team. Did blueram boycott their senior nights?
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He must have boycotted the game we honored Four McGlynn aka a 1 year rental prescriptively recruited to compliment the EC, Hass and Terrell core. He was literally a free agent signing to join an established core that if not for ECs injury likely would have been a tourney team. Tsk tsk dam college game is going down the drain bc of Four!
5 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Check it out about Four
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I know for sure, we'll be better this next season than we've been the past few by in game coaching decisions alone.
I'm gonna miss the Cox Timeout™.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I know for sure, we'll be better this next season than we've been the past few by in game coaching decisions alone.
Me too, Pete. I couldn’t stop laughing when I first read it in the game thread. Comedy gold!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I'm thinking of the '98 team. Luther Clay and Josh King were key members of that team. Did blueram boycott their senior nights?
Different time Billyboy. They had to sit a year to play. So a 2 year transfer was here for 3 years. So I had a wild hair up my ass and said what I did. A 1 year player I don't believe is eligible for a degree as you need at least 60 credits to get a degree from URI. Maybe I'm frustrated at the transfer rules. Seems like it's the wild west in college ball.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It was the difference between us winning probably 5 more games at least.

Could have easily been a 20 win team this year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
I think what 72 is insinuating is Cox brought in Makhi and Makhel. By starting both of them that moved Walker from a starting spot to coming in off the bench.
I can see that, I guess. Although they don't play the same position.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I can see that, I guess. Although they don't play the same position.
Makhi was injured. Once back this year he took the starting spot of Walker.
Walker was the starter the year before along with Makhel. This year Cox replaced Walker with Makhi as Walker came off the bench Until the last few games of the season when Cox replaced Makhi and Makhel with Martin and Walker.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s a good thing it’s the Wild West tho, locking students to schools is absurd in any other context, and still insane when applied to athletics
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not sure if this was posted yet:

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Can confirm
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Liar!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can confirm
So URI allows athletes to graduate with less than 60 credits at URI?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Not sure if this was posted yet:

Seems to make a lot of sense for Bryant. Walker could do serious damage in that league. Maybe Bryant get’s the conference auto bid again next season.

Could be a good spot for Antwan.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Not sure if this was posted yet:

Seems to make a lot of sense for Bryant. Walker could do serious damage in that league. Maybe Bryant get’s the conference auto bid again next season.

Could be a good spot for Antwan.
Big East to A10 to NEC. Why not?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The question with Bryant being....will Grasso be there next year?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Bryant starting Kiss and Antwan will go undefeated in conference play and will be back in the NCAA Tournament!!!!!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'll be at games wearing a catchers face mask. If you are an independent thinker do the same.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'll be at games wearing a catchers face mask. If you are an independent thinker do the same.
What does this mean 72? I have an idea what you mean.

Also, I doubt they would let you take a catchers mask through the metal detectors. And would you wear a Covid Mask inside the Catchers Mask? or on the outside?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The question with Bryant being....will Grasso be there next year?
Hey, what do I know? Nothing, but maybe the re-recruiting of Walker did not go so good, and Grasso is staying and going for the NEC fences…..no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Twan would dominate in that league. Grasso prob still a year away from getting a major upgrade offer. If URI and Umass didn’t even really consider him that would indicate he’s not on A10 radar yet.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What the hell?? I hope this is an academic decision.
1 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago What the hell?? I hope this is an academic decision.
Certainly doesn't make much sense from a basketball perspective, unless he's just looking to put up numbers while staying in Rhode Island for some reason. Against Bryant in 2021, Walker went 4-for-4 with eight boards and two blocks, and the Mitchells combined for 30 points and 25 rebounds, so I imagine he could do serious damage against that competition.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe he wants a finance degree? My high school buddy went there and is CFO of Amica Insurance.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Twan is an offensive beast, while his defense is lacking at times. Which pretty much describes Bryant's entire team and Grasso's philosophy.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Didn't Peter Kiss declare for the NBA draft forgoing his last year of eligibility?
0 x