Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Unread post by ace »

You should go read Indiana basketball message boards starting about three years ago if you’re going to act like that’s a worthy pursuit to gain valuable and realistic information.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those are the same gripes some PC fans had with Cooley. He runs the flex, doesn’t recruit shooters, bad Xs and Os. How’d that turn out? Those are the same gripes you will find with almost every internet fan base. Chk what some Dayton fans say about Grant.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago You should go read Indiana basketball message boards starting about three years ago if you're going to act like that's a worthy pursuit to gain valuable and realistic information.
Archie got fired for not getting results right, so were they wrong?

Dan is not on the hot seat. I think he will start to win tournament games because he's great at his job. But if he does lose in the first round again next year or simply doesn't make it for whatever reason, I could see his seat getting warm and I agree with that. This isn't Rhode Island. You need to go deep in the tournament at UConn.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They did not mess around when there is money to be made

https://www.homefieldapparel.com/collec ... cks-shirts

How do you get them to make Rhody gear? Homefield’s stuff is consistently great.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Those are the same gripes some PC fans had with Cooley. He runs the flex, doesn’t recruit shooters, bad Xs and Os. How’d that turn out? Those are the same gripes you will find with almost every internet fan base. Chk what some Dayton fans say about Grant.
As late as early this season a few Providence fans thought Cooley had to go because they didn’t beat Fairfield and New Hampshire by enough.

There are endless scenarios where Archie doesn’t get fired at Indiana, the main one being that they would have been in the 2020 tournament. People get fired all the time without deserving it, but someone has to be the fall guy. Head coaches know it’s part of the deal.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has one job -- keep the Cartel from leaving.
Remember when you said the “cartel” rigs everything for the P6?

25% of the Elite 8 comes from outside the P6 conferences.

But keep pushing your agenda!
36 at large bids and a grand total of 6 were from outside a P6 conference

Memphis - lost second round
Davidson - lost first round
St Mary’s - lost second round
San Francisco - lost first round
Colorado St - lost first round
Wyoming - lost first four
San Diego St - lost first round

7 teams.

Also, not making it to the sweet 16 isn’t helping mid major matters in regards to at large bids.
0 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ace wrote: 2 years ago You should go read Indiana basketball message boards starting about three years ago if you’re going to act like that’s a worthy pursuit to gain valuable and realistic information.
To be fair, at blue blood programs the message boards and fans are worth paying attention to with regards to the coach, even if their not entirely rational.

At blue bloods the fans' displeasure gets guys canned, like you said even if they've had some success. Angry fans stop donating and stop showing up, that's a death sentence at that level.

Hell, UConn fans helped get a former player ran out of town a mere 3 years after he won them a national championship
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago You should go read Indiana basketball message boards starting about three years ago if you’re going to act like that’s a worthy pursuit to gain valuable and realistic information.
To be fair, at blue blood programs the message boards and fans are worth paying attention to with regards to the coach, even if their not entirely rational.

At blue bloods the fans' displeasure gets guys canned, like you said even if they've had some success. Angry fans stop donating and stop showing up, that's a death sentence at that level.

Hell, UConn fans helped get a former player ran out of town a mere 3 years after he won them a national championship
I don’t think blue blood message boards are any better or worse barometer than non blue blood message boards. Not even sure what that means. Every message board is filled with fan discontent. From what I can see on Twitter UConn’s fanbase still seems very much behind DH. I also think it’s fair to say that next season he will have some pressure to advance in March but the line between great and underachieving is a thin one.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago The big east teams will never agree to a challenge series with the A10. Too much to lose.
The BE will never agree to a challenge with the A10 because there would be absolutely no buzz for it to happen outside of fans of A10 schools. As much as some A10 teams improved, we were a 1 bid league if Richmond doesn't get the auto bid. The A10 as a whole would need to get much better before this would even be considered. A10 vs Mountain West is a better series.
False, we were a two bid league. Richmond winning the autobid knocked Dayton out of the tournament
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t think blue blood message boards are any better or worse barometer than non blue blood message boards. Not even sure what that means. Every message board is filled with fan discontent. From what I can see on Twitter UConn’s fanbase still seems very much behind DH. I also think it’s fair to say that next season he will have some pressure to advance in March but the line between great and underachieving is a thin one.
I could see DH being let go next year if he doesn't advance.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago They did not mess around when there is money to be made

How do you get them to make Rhody gear? Homefield’s stuff is consistently great.
Just further proof of how bad our licensing/apparel situation is. Radford is on that site but we can't get anything
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Just further proof of how bad our licensing/apparel situation is. Radford is on that site but we can't get anything
I'd rather have elite status with Adidas then be on a knock off site. Bet you Radford and St Peters would too
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago The big east teams will never agree to a challenge series with the A10. Too much to lose.
The BE will never agree to a challenge with the A10 because there would be absolutely no buzz for it to happen outside of fans of A10 schools. As much as some A10 teams improved, we were a 1 bid league if Richmond doesn't get the auto bid. The A10 as a whole would need to get much better before this would even be considered. A10 vs Mountain West is a better series.
False, we were a two bid league. Richmond winning the autobid knocked Dayton out of the tournament
Three bid if Dayton didn't have 4 inexplicable losses to quad 4 teams
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Yes those very early home losses cost them, but between their freshmen and transfers it took them a little while to get in the groove.
They were a much different team as the season went on.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I’d be surprised if that happens maybe if no NCAAT in 2 years but I still think they are trending up
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago

I’d be surprised if that happens maybe if no NCAAT in 2 years but I still think they are trending up
UConn should be right in the mix again next season, but lots of competition.
The BE will be strong again:
Villanova always good.
PC coming off their best season in years.
Creighton with all their youth will keep getting better.
Shaka has Marquette on the right track.
Let's see what Sean does with the talent at Xavier.
Another run for Holloway at SH?
St. John's has good players but this season was a disappointment.
Ewing needs to turn things around at Georgetown.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well up is an NCAAT Championship. They had one in 2014. They are no where close right now.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Saturday Games - Elite 8:
5-seed Houston (-2.5) vs 2-seed Villanova 6:09pm TBS
4-seed Arkansas vs 2-seed Duke (-4) 8:49pm TBS

Sunday Games - Elite 8:
10-seed Miami vs 1-seed Kansas (-6) 2:20 PM CBS
15-seed Saint Peter's vs 8-seed North Carolina (-8) 5:05 PM CBS

NET Going into the NCAA Tournament:
3-Houston
6-Kansas
8-Villanova
12-Duke
20-Arkansas
31-North Carolina
62-Miami
124-St Peters
All good games. Fun time of year!

St Pete’s NET and Rhody’s very similar. Makes my head spin!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be something if we ever get good enough where we would be unhappy with repeated 1st round losses in the NCAA tournament, like UConn fans are currently.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Well up is an NCAAT Championship. They had one in 2014. They are no where close right now.
They were probably 1 more wing scorer away from being a final four contender this year. Nowhere close isn’t accurate. They were ranked in the top 20 basically all season.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes those very early home losses cost them, but between their freshmen and transfers it took them a little while to get in the groove.
They figured it out quick

One week they are losing to Lipscomb, UMass Lowell, and Austin Peay

The next they beat Kansas, Miami and Belmont and win a non conference tournament.

Then a late loss to LA Salle cost them
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

They figured it out quick

One week they are losing to Lipscomb, UMass Lowell, and Austin Peay

The next they beat Kansas, Miami and Belmont and win a non conference tournament.

Then a late loss to LA Salle cost them
I believe according to the seed list Dayton was the first team out also.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Dayton couldn’t overcome those 4 horrific losses definitely cost them a bid
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I neeeeeeedreeed rhody homefield gear.. might buy some of the new St. Peter’s stuff
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I blame myself for Houston's loss, because I actually made sure to go and watch it at a local bar, instead of just following along on the computer. Also, yesterday playing pick-up hoops at UH, I made one god damn shot in about three hours. Clearly, they were secretly watching and taking the wrong lessons from my performance.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“Up” for them right now is winning games in the tournament, which Hurley hasn’t done thetr yet.

You have ridiculous expect for every team in college basketball, lol.

I’m sure UConn fans would love a second weekend trip next season and be ok with it.

Can’t win/compete for national titles every season.

The top two brands in college basketball last season didn’t make the tourney. One of those teams lost first round this season to a 15 seed.

It’s hard to be a legit contender every season.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I blame myself for Houston's loss, because I actually made sure to go and watch it at a local bar, instead of just following along on the computer. Also, yesterday playing pick-up hoops at UH, I made one god damn shot in about three hours. Clearly, they were secretly watching and taking the wrong lessons from my performance.
Tell Kelvin you’re sorry. But seriously, they had an amazing and improbable run and provided the blueprint for every team not in a major conference. Be elite and the rest will take care of itself.

Brutal ending for Justin Moore, though.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I blame myself for Houston's loss, because I actually made sure to go and watch it at a local bar, instead of just following along on the computer. Also, yesterday playing pick-up hoops at UH, I made one god damn shot in about three hours. Clearly, they were secretly watching and taking the wrong lessons from my performance.
Houston shot it so poorly 1-20 not going to win any games shooting like that and Nova is so well coached and mentally tough
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just a couple of legends talking shop before the Purdue upset.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Coach K trying to pull a Johnny Wooden in 75
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Today's Games:

Duke and Villanova advanced to the Final 4 on Saturday.

Sunday Games - Elite 8:
10-seed Miami vs 1-seed Kansas (-6) 2:20 PM CBS
15-seed Saint Peter's vs 8-seed North Carolina (-8.5) 5:05 PM CBS

NET Going into the NCAA Tournament of the Elite 8 Teams:
Bold/Blue are playing today

3-Houston
6-Kansas
8-Villanova
12-Duke
20-Arkansas
31-North Carolina
62-Miami
124-St Peters
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Coach K trying to pull a Johnny Wooden in 75
Is that going out in last game as NCAA champ? If so, didn’t Al Mcquire also do that at Marquette?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Coach K trying to pull a Johnny Wooden in 75
Is that going out in last game as NCAA champ? If so, didn’t Al Mcquire also do that at Marquette?
Yes, Mcquire retired after winning the National Championship at 48.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/spor ... guire.html
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That Marquette, Al McGuire team was fun to watch. Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, Whitehead - real good players. I enjoyed McGuire as a commentator too. He’d come out with some great stuff to describe a play or a players style of play like, french pastry. That was some funny shit!
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago That Marquette, Al McGuire team was fun to watch. Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, Whitehead - real good players. I enjoyed McGuire as a commentator too. He’d come out with some great stuff to describe a play or a players style of play like, french pastry. That was some funny shit!
Yes, indeed, he put his stamp on basketball terminology. Whitehead was the “Aircraft Carrier”.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Al McGuire did our regionals broadcasting in 98 with Timmy Brando
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kansas with an impressive 2h should be a nice National Semi v Nova
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Kansas with an impressive 2h should be a nice National Semi v Nova
Tough break for Nova with the injury to Justin Moore their 2nd leading scorer.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago Kansas with an impressive 2h should be a nice National Semi v Nova
Tough break for Nova with the injury to Justin Moore their 2nd leading scorer.
Agree, Jersey. I feel for him. I can’t imagine missing out on playing in a Final Four. Man, that’s rough.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

And of course Saint Peter's goes ICE cold and we get zero entertainment from the entire elite 8. Chalk blowouts. Yay...😑
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Wow, Kansas sure looked good in that second half.

UNC looking real good, too! Come on St Peter’s get back in this game!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Wow, Kansas sure looked good in that second half.

Saint Peter's is being cursed by the fact that they're playing a blueblood.

Duke, UNC, etc. Just seem to make teams go cold by their sheer presence.

Like the last two times we played Duke.

UNC is playing well, but as soon as Saint Peter's missed those first three shots it was over. Makes no sense how they can all of the sudden go completely ice cold.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UNC is playing well, but as soon as Saint Peter's missed those first three shots it was over. Makes no sense how they can all of the sudden go completely ice cold.
I don't know, they took care of Kentucky pretty good.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Carolina is doing to St. Peter's what they did to us in 1993.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The script is written
Duke/UNC winner goes to the championship game.....
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Carolina is doing to St. Peter's what they did to us in 1993.
I was having flashbacks of that nightmare.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Carolina is doing to St. Peter's what they did to us in 1993.
I was having flashbacks of that nightmare.
Wasn't alive then

I'm sure that was embarrassing...beat a good Purdue team, feeling all that Rhody pride then get killed like that. That game and Duke 2018 shouldn't have happened like that.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

I don't know, they took care of Kentucky pretty good.
Yes, they did handle UK well. Was fun too watch even though they ruined my brackets.

Fear is a great motivator. I’m guessing the UNC staff didn’t get much sleep since Friday due to studying every tape they could find on St Peter’s and coming up with a game plan.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Too bad this game isn't more competitive. Elite Eight ending with a whimper.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.