Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Anybody think that Ish and Walker will follow Cox and be close to home at Maryland.

Maybe a little underwhelming for the Terps but they have several openings including some players transferring out.

Ish has 3 years left and Twan has 1.
If Maryland is looking to get back to competing for conference championships than Ish and Walker aren't going to Maryland. They aren't good enough to compete at that level and help bring Maryland back to a top Big 10 program. I'm not sure why Walker would do that. I can see Ish going if he was welcomed there. Ish is a great kid, but would be better served to go to a smaller conference
Yeah, I think it would be a longshot if they end up there.

Actually GW or GM would make sense, they would be home for them.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Clearly, Ish regressed as an offensive player this season. Sophomore slump? How he was used? In any case, he can be a better offensive player than was visible this season. I hope he stays. Ram tough!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Even with different coaching, using him in different ways, I do not see him as a significant player at the A-10 level……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Even with different coaching, using him in different ways, I do not see him as a significant player at the A-10 level……..
I don't think it's that much of a stretch - Leggett was a positive contributor his freshman year, coming off the bench or playing as more of an accessory option off of Fatts. Like, of the six names in the portal right now, he's the one I'd want back the most, since he's got more eligibility left than Malik or Walker. At worst, he could play 5 to 10 minutes as a good defender a night. (Not saying he'd be happy with that role, but he's at least played minutes and flashed potential, here and there.)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Antwan could play at Maryland. He just wasn't used correctly here. I don't know if he'd start, but he'd certainly be in the rotation.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO Walker has double double potential night in and night out. If used properly. And there are less of those types in the portal than there are “scrappy” undersized 2Gs. So IMO even tho he’s only got 1 year left Twan is more valuable to keep than Ish.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago IMO Walker has double double potential night in and night out. If used properly. And there are less of those types in the portal than there are “scrappy” undersized 2Gs. So IMO even tho he’s only got 1 year left Twan is more valuable to keep than Ish.
I agree, I think he's more valuable (overall) than Ish, absolutely. But for URI in particular - we might not be good next year, so we don't really "need" a fifth year PF / C, plus we (presumably) still have the Mitchell twins, Samb and maybe an Archie recruit for the 5 and (maybe) the 4.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I want Malik back more than anyone. Having a glue guy like him is always helpful....

Ish is one of my favorite Rams so I'd like him back. I think people had very high expectations for him and he drastically underachieved. He was a good defender all season and had moments on the offensive end. A good coach can turn Ish into a solid A10 player. I'd definitely take him back. Don't forget Carey had a much worse season last year and then came back a totally different player.

I think Thomas is a better fit in Archie's offense over Ish, though.. Don't forget some of those games where he took over in certain moments. I hope he uses this offseason focusing on his 3 pt shot. He can drive, he has a decent runner. Unfortunately, his 3 pt shot is terrible. Fix that, and we got ourselves a good A10 point guard.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I want Malik back more than anyone. Having a glue guy like him is always helpful....

Ish is one of my favorite Rams so I'd like him back. I think people had very high expectations for him and he drastically underachieved. He was a good defender all season and had moments on the offensive end. A good coach can turn Ish into a solid A10 player. I'd definitely take him back. Don't forget Carey had a much worse season last year and then came back a totally different player.

I think Thomas is a better fit in Archie's offense over Ish, though.. Don't forget some of those games where he took over in certain moments. I hope he uses this offseason focusing on his 3 pt shot. He can drive, he has a decent runner. Unfortunately, his 3 pt shot is terrible. Fix that, and we got ourselves a good A10 point guard.
Agreed on Malik he is the guy I want back the most of guys in the portal , kid just hustles and ideally a really good 6th or 7th man on a really good team
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago IMO Walker has double double potential night in and night out. If used properly. And there are less of those types in the portal than there are “scrappy” undersized 2Gs. So IMO even tho he’s only got 1 year left Twan is more valuable to keep than Ish.
I agree, I think he's more valuable (overall) than Ish, absolutely. But for URI in particular - we might not be good next year, so we don't really "need" a fifth year PF / C, plus we (presumably) still have the Mitchell twins, Samb and maybe an Archie recruit for the 5 and (maybe) the 4.
We WILL be good next year. All should be operating under that assumption.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago ...

What about his FT shooting? Isn't that more important for a PG than his 3 pt shot?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Y'know how this thread lists, in the title, all the Rhody players in the portal? Should there be a separate, more important thread with all the players NOT in the portal? List their names in the title like this? I don't think any of the portalers are coming back.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago ...

What about his FT shooting? Isn't that more important for a PG than his 3 pt shot?
Since you taught Jimmy B., why don't you teach Bassy too?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I want Malik back more than anyone. Having a glue guy like him is always helpful....

I like your love for the kid but he was a 36% FT shooter and shot 21% from 3pt. He will not see playing time next year.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I like your love for the kid but he was a 36% FT shooter and shot 21% from 3pt. He will not see playing time next year.
There's also another end of the floor.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

There's also another end of the floor.
I'm guessing the first player signed is a PG.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I feel like you think we are like Kentucky or Duke, full of top 20 players.. If Thomas is not going to see a minute next season, why hasn't he left? Thomas is not a shooter, but he was our best playmaker last season. He ran the offense well and has a strong IQ. He was also only a freshman. He's not a starter, but he can make an impact if he keeps improving his shooting which I expect him to do. I think he'll be a part of the rotation next year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I feel like you think we are like Kentucky or Duke, full of top 20 players.. If Thomas is not going to see a minute next season, why hasn't he left? Thomas is not a shooter, but he was our best playmaker last season. He ran the offense well and has a strong IQ. He was also only a freshman. He's not a starter, but he can make an impact if he keeps improving his shooting which I expect him to do. I think he'll be a part of the rotation next year.
He played 15 minutes a game and averaged 2.7 points. He will not be playing.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hope you're right...when are we going to start seeing hot portal rumors?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Clearly, Ish regressed as an offensive player this season. Sophomore slump? How he was used? In any case, he can be a better offensive player than was visible this season. I hope he stays. Ram tough!
You finally said something that was correct. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Or maybe you've turned a corner?

I full on agree. He had a promising freshman year and a disappointing sophomore campaign. If he stays, we'll see what year 3 brings.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You're bringing up his negatives and pretending there aren't other aspects to being a point guard. Just like assistant coaches do more than recruit, point guards can still make an impact without being a scorer. When he played 20 minutes or more, he averaged over 4 assists a game.. His per 40 puts him number 1 on the team in assists. When your best playmaker is a freshman, you don't just give up on him after one season. If his shot comes around, he could be a piece for this team.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm a Thomas fan. Kids got plenty of potential. He was just a freshman. He's the future point.
2 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Clearly, Ish regressed as an offensive player this season. Sophomore slump? How he was used? In any case, he can be a better offensive player than was visible this season. I hope he stays. Ram tough!
You finally said something that was correct. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Or maybe you've turned a corner?

I full on agree. He had a promising freshman year and a disappointing sophomore campaign. If he stays, we'll see what year 3 brings.
If he stays?? He's in the portal, right? So, it's not, "will be 'stay'?", but, "will Arch want him to come back?", isn't it? I don't consider anyone that portals it as "staying"... they're free agents. Someone has to sign them, they don't "stay."

Do you want him back, or would you rather Arch bring in a better player instead?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

If he stays?? He's in the portal, right? So, it's not, "will be 'stay'?", but, "will Arch want him to come back?", isn't it? I don't consider anyone that portals it as "staying"... they're free agents. Someone has to sign them, they don't "stay."

Do you want him back, or would you rather Arch bring in a better player instead?
"If he stays" vs. "If Miller wants him to come back" is more of a matter of semantics from my view. Or at least by what I meant by "if he stays." My meaning is "if Leggett is with the team next season" regardless of how it really happens. I'm not looking too deeply into who's say it is. Really it's both the players and the coach's. If there is a mutual agreement for the player to be back - that is, if Miller lays down his expectations and the player is on board and can fill the role, then the player will be back. You're reading too much into the actual words. Would "if he returns?" or "if he's with the team next year" be better for you?

In any case, it's not up to me to make that decision, it's between the coach and the player and if they find the player "remaining" or "returning" or whatever term you want to use, as that player being in a Rhody uniform as mutually beneficial. Otherwise the player in the portal will find another home.

Miller will (or probably already has or at least is in the process of) evaluate the players on the roster, meet with each individually and find out if said player will be ready/be amenable to whatever role Miller feels will work for the team or if they are capable of it. If not, I'm sure that player will look for a new home.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think it's a big difference, not just semantics. When you say "if he stays" it implies he has a choice to "come back if he wants to", and that's just (fortunately) not true. I don't envision a situation where Arch would want a player to come back and the player would decline. I do envision (multiple) situations where the coach never reaches out to the portal-ed player, or if he does, it's just to say "happy trails"
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

He is a good fit as a backup PG at this time - I think the way he plays fits well with Miller’s defensive style as well because he is long and can get right into a guy’s face on the perimeter, and can close out well on a shooter. He had a lot of open looks last year, just needs to improve his shot to know them down. I’m not pushing out a guy who played hard on every possession and could be a very solid 4 year player here.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I think it's a big difference, not just semantics. When you say "if he stays" it implies he has a choice to "come back if he wants to", and that's just (fortunately) not true. I don't envision a situation where Arch would want a player to come back and the player would decline. I do envision (multiple) situations where the coach never reaches out to the portal-ed player, or if he does, it's just to say "happy trails"
I'm not sure about that last part. For instance, before his press conference he met with the entire team including guys in the portal and the way he talked that day it sounded like he planned to have one on one meetings with them as well
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

He is a good fit as a backup PG at this time - I think the way he plays fits well with Miller's defensive style as well because he is long and can get right into a guy's face on the perimeter, and can close out well on a shooter. He had a lot of open looks last year, just needs to improve his shot to know them down. I'm not pushing out a guy who played hard on every possession and could be a very solid 4 year player here.
Exactly! Listen, no one wants Thomas to be the starting point guard of this program moving forward, but as I said in my previous post, he could fill a need. He's a good player on the fast break and makes excellent decisions... He needs to improve his shot drastically. However, simply looking at his stats is not the complete picture of what Thomas can do..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I think it's a big difference, not just semantics. When you say "if he stays" it implies he has a choice to "come back if he wants to", and that's just (fortunately) not true. I don't envision a situation where Arch would want a player to come back and the player would decline. I do envision (multiple) situations where the coach never reaches out to the portal-ed player, or if he does, it's just to say "happy trails"
I'm not sure about that last part. For instance, before his press conference he met with the entire team including guys in the portal and the way he talked that day it sounded like he planned to have one on one meetings with them as well
Great. Just saying...none of the portaletters are coming back solely because they decide to. Saying your entering the portolet but keeping Rhody as an option, is not a magnanimous gesture... Seems more like a "hopeful to see new options and maybe be able to keep what I have if it doesn't work out" CYA kinda gesture.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Great. Just saying...none of the portaletters are coming back solely because they decide to. Saying your entering the portolet but keeping Rhody as an option, is not a magnanimous gesture... Seems more like a "hopeful to see new options and maybe be able to keep what I have if it doesn't work out" CYA kinda gesture.
Bassy is not in the portal, at least not that I'm aware of.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thomas seems like a kid who commits and stays committed.
2 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’ll echo what many of you have said about Bassy. He can be a solid 4 year player here. He needs work in areas of his game but he seems to be committed to becoming a better player. I trust Archie’s coaching will help him get better, too.

Look at Roland Fiore. An excellent RI high school basketball player who came to Rhody to play football initially and ended up starting for Rhody basketball. He was a solid player for an underwhelming coach (Claude English). IMHO, I’d take Roland’s toughness and attitude on my team if I was a coach. Or, look at Billy Donovan. Came in to college a chubby freshman and graduated an excellent player. He worked at his game and, I believe, benefitted from excellent coaching.

I’m not saying Bassy will hit Donovan’s ceiling or Roland’s but, I think he can be a solid piece on a winning team by his Junior year - maybe even sooner.
2 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Thomas seems like a kid who commits and stays committed.
Thomas sees the floor better than anyone on our team. He needs to improve his shooting, 3pt and FT's. We lost way too many games last year at the FT line. However, the thing I like most about Thomas, is that he is a RI kid that was dying to play for the RAMS! Not PC, not Bryant, not Brown. He was committed to URI. He would be on my team as long as he wanted!
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Bassy keeps working which I’m sure he will I definitely can see a nice role playing for Arch
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

To comment on the portal and our players testing the waters... I really liked what AM said in the Stone interview - he mentioned that he doesnt want a team with 9 or 10 transfers because its not the way to build. I have maintained that our team for the last 2 seasons was made from the land of misfit toys - all transfers. Ish and Bassy being the exceptions. So again ... I am not going to lose sleep if the current players in the portal leave.

I personally would like to see AM do exactly what he said - use the portal to fill a specific pinpoint need and build the rest organically through recruiting.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I think Bassy's ceiling is probably as a Stevie Mejia (low end) or Jarvis Garrett (high end) type - someone you can bring in for 5 to 15 minutes to distribute and play good defense, but he's never going to be a strong enough offensive option to warrant starting. Which is fine, if he's comfortable with that role! And hey, maybe he turns out to be better than that.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think that is both selling Jarvis Garrett very low and setting way too high of a ceiling for Bassy, but I'm a Jarvis Garrett stan, so....
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I think Bassy's ceiling is probably as a Stevie Mejia (low end) or Jarvis Garrett (high end) type - someone you can bring in for 5 to 15 minutes to distribute and play good defense, but he's never going to be a strong enough offensive option to warrant starting. Which is fine, if he's comfortable with that role! And hey, maybe he turns out to be better than that.
Good comp’s, SG.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We see transfers on the internet and they say they have been contacted by schools. Haven’t seen any of this for our portal guys. I could have missed it.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Welcome back, Malik!
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Heeeeessss baaaccckkk
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This imo is really good news.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Honestly I kind of saw him leaving to spend his last year on a tournament contender. Happy to have him back though. TJ 2.0. He's going to be the heart of our rebuild
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good news indeed !!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Love it. Archie wants toughness. He's got it.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This is great news!!!!. Malik..........become a beast!!!!!!!!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

After all, “he is a Martin…….”
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938