The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Big loss for LaSalle.
He did play 2 seasons for Archie at Indiana.

I doubt he would come here.

Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ve lost track of the transfer rules. Are transfers with the A10 still stricter than inter conference transfer?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ve lost track of the transfer rules. Are transfers with the A10 still stricter than inter conference transfer?
Nope, no penalty for transferring within the conference.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Indiana convinced him to reclassify and come in a year early. Like I said, even though he's been at IU for 2 years, he's still only 19 years old. He still has 3 years of eligibility left too.
Who convinced him to? It hasn’t worked out, wonder if there are any hard feelings. I guess we’ll find out.
Good question.
His freshman year cost him zero college eligibility.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I am holding any judgement, comment on any of these potential players in the portal, those with “stars” or prior history with Archie…….the roster will play itself out……Go Rhody
I agree, Jalen Carry was a 4 star and his ceiling is good role player. Stan was also a 4 star transfer and he was what our fourth of fifth best player? Recruiting rankings aren't everything and they especially don't matter 2 years into a college career. No guarantee a guy who can't break a bubble teams rotation is going to come here and light the world on fire.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Makes sense, BRG. Fwiw, I think excellent coaching is a variable to be considered, as well. And, we have an excellent coach that will bring in a strong staff.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Another Indiana transfer:

Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
1 x
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Another Indiana transfer
He only averaged 1.5 points and 1 rebound a game and this was his 4th year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another big loss for LaSalle losing their young starting PG.
Brickus was on the 20-21 All A10 Rookie Team.

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I am holding any judgement, comment on any of these potential players in the portal, those with “stars” or prior history with Archie…….the roster will play itself out……Go Rhody
I agree, Jalen Carry was a 4 star and his ceiling is good role player. Stan was also a 4 star transfer and he was what our fourth of fifth best player? Recruiting rankings aren't everything and they especially don't matter 2 years into a college career. No guarantee a guy who can't break a bubble teams rotation is going to come here and light the world on fire.
I agree with your main point that there's no guarantees but your under stating Stan's importance to that team.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
I agree with your main point that there's no guarantees but your under stating Stan's importance to that team.
Stan...the Stanimal...was huge.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The way LaSalle is losing people, you wonder if they are staying in the A10.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The way LaSalle is losing people, you wonder if they are staying in the A10.
Eh, they fired their coach too. Whenever that happens, a bunch of players are going to leave.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe an all-time underappreciated guy. That team had a lot of talented guys so maybe saying he was the 4th or 5th most talented isn’t an insult, but devoid of context it does seem to understate his importance. Very good defender, capable offensively, had a nose for the big shot/moment, but maybe most importantly he brought an edge that that team really needed. As good of a player as he was, his intangibles were really important to that group. Having 12 Stans might have been a bit much but you absolutely have to have at least one guy like him, IMO. It’s not a perfect comp but he was a little like what Marcus Smart is for the Celtics right now.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
I mean, yeah he was a huge part of those teams but is anyone taking him over EC, Hass or Terrell? Calling him the 4th best on that team isn't really an insult
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
I mean, yeah he was a huge part of those teams but is anyone taking him over EC, Hass or Terrell? Calling him the 4th best on that team isn't really an insult
Like I said it’s fair to say he was the 4th or 5th guy, but probably not fair to use that to make the point that a 4* transfer might not be as valuable as you would think just because they were rated highly coming out of high school. Also, that point isn’t really wrong either lol. He said two true things but linked them together in a way that I think understates how valuable Stan was to that team.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I might have gotten a little too into giving examples as Stan and even Kuran Iverson were important players on really good teams. What I’m really trying to say is a transfer who has shown to be successful at the college level will get me a lot more excited than a transfer who was rated high out of high school but hasn’t done anything in college yet.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Maybe an all-time underappreciated guy. That team had a lot of talented guys so maybe saying he was the 4th or 5th most talented isn’t an insult, but devoid of context it does seem to understate his importance. Very good defender, capable offensively, had a nose for the big shot/moment, but maybe most importantly he brought an edge that that team really needed. As good of a player as he was, his intangibles were really important to that group. Having 12 Stans might have been a bit much but you absolutely have to have at least one guy like him, IMO. It’s not a perfect comp but he was a little like what Marcus Smart is for the Celtics right now.
Man he saved his best game for the Oregon Ducks in the round of 32
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I will forever remember that corner 3 against Duquesne to stay undefeated in A-10. I wish I was there, but was at my buddies house (fellow alum) and when that sunk we went wild. Our now wives were there and thought we were the biggest idiots the way we were celebrating. You would have thought we just won the National Championship.

I still can't believe what the A-10 did to Stan for the end of the year awards. Such blatant disrespect.
6 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Aside from one-and-done-type players, recruiting rankings aren't worth the pixels they're printed on. These "recruiting gurus" evaulate players in AAU settings where coaching consists of rolling out the balls and counting money from the shoe-company pimps.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago I will forever remember that corner 3 against Duquesne to stay undefeated in A-10. I wish I was there, but was at my buddies house (fellow alum) and when that sunk we went wild. Our now wives were there and thought we were the biggest idiots the way we were celebrating. You would have thought we just won the National Championship.

I still can't believe what the A-10 did to Stan for the end of the year awards. Such blatant disrespect.
It was awesome. Right in front of us....one of my favorite Ryan Center moments.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Aside from one-and-done-type players, recruiting rankings aren't worth the pixels they're printed on. These "recruiting gurus" evaulate players in AAU settings where coaching consists of rolling out the balls and counting money from the shoe-company pimps.
It's one thing to have the ratings, it's another to keep the 4* and 5* ratings with a player even after 2,3,4 and even 5 years. Guys who clearly show in College that they are not 4* players continue to get the 4* attached to their name my the media. Watch the tweets include that 4* and 5* ranking even after a player is relegated to the bench, transfers down a level or two and still doesn't perform to even a 2* level. Then media and schools get all excited because they signed a 5th year grad who comes off the bench BUT is was a 4* his junior year in HS.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I believe he was one of Archie's first recruits at Indiana.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Correct. Archie was hired 3/27/17 and he committed 8/19/17
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I believe he was one of Archie's first recruits at Indiana.

Pass for me on him, nothing really stands out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And here's another Hoosier who is leaving and might be looking for a 6th year. Good 3 point shooter.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/A ... 185128011/
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When I hear someone is a good 3 pt. shooter, I am interested lol.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Aside from one-and-done-type players, recruiting rankings aren't worth the pixels they're printed on. These "recruiting gurus" evaulate players in AAU settings where coaching consists of rolling out the balls and counting money from the shoe-company pimps.
Meh. You're going to have "misses" throughout the tiers of rankings, but generally, you're going to be better off with a roster of 12 five-star players vs. 12 four-star players, vs. 12 three-star players. Projection is messy in general, and it's messier with college hoops and football because all the players involved are still growing and changing. But it's not a coincidence that most of URI's best players during the Hurley era were the ones with the highest prospect rankings, and that more of the two-star / unranked players didn't work out.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed. And you are casting a wide net on all of AAU based on an old narrative. There are many many good coaches and good people in the AAU circuit these days. Kimani Young was an AAU coach. So was David Cox. There are also some horrible ones and some bad actors. Just like in any profession.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RAMFAN wrote: 2 years ago
A Summit League player who averaged under 10 a game, along with getting recruited by lesser schools than us (except UVA).

Interested to see if people would want him now that we have Archie.

If this was a Cox kid, no chance we’d want him with his make up / stats.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Cook is thoroughly "fine" to me. If you're an optimist, you see a kid that's improved his shooting from 3, starting at 28.6 percent to 32.4 percent and 39.7 percent, and he played 25 MPG for a 23-10 team. Low turnover rate, but a PER of 12.6, likely because he's not creating much offense for himself (2.5 FTA per 40, 10.7 FGA per 40 - would have slotted him between Legett and El-Amin on this year's team). Seems like he'd be a decent role player, but more of a substitute for what we have already.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If this dude ends up in the A10, I am going to lose it. No more Goldens! Six years is long enough.
7 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good insight into Cook, SG. To answer your question 15, I lean towards what SG said above and would add that I have more confidence in Archie than DC to improve Cook’s game.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

If this dude ends up in the A10, I am going to lose it. No more Goldens! Six years is long enough.
Unless we get him...I dont want to see him in the A10!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Good insight into Cook, SG. To answer your question 15, I lean towards what SG said above and would add that I have more confidence in Archie than DC to improve Cook’s game.
I guess I just think of Malik and Betrand who had good 3 point % at lower conferences which did not translate into the A10.

But then of course there's El Ahmin, who improved his 3 point %.

I guess it's just a crapshoot looking strictly at percentages, I was just hoping we'd be shooting for higher and better transfers.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Good insight into Cook, SG. To answer your question 15, I lean towards what SG said above and would add that I have more confidence in Archie than DC to improve Cook’s game.
I guess I just think of Malik and Betrand who had good 3 point % at lower conferences which did not translate into the A10.

But then of course there's El Ahmin, who improved his 3 point %.

I guess it's just a crapshoot looking strictly at percentages, I was just hoping we'd be shooting for higher and better transfers.
A frustrating thing about player "development" is that it often isn't linear, and also, sometimes "development" is just luck. If you look at Betrand's career numbers now, for example, he looks like the same player as a freshman and a junior, and it's just that his sophomore year, more of his shots dropped and he was more aggressive as a result. But if you took him on as a transfer after his sophomore year, you'd think he figured it all out, and he would just continue to improve. It's probably 50/50 whether Cook's improved shooting was actual skill development, or just luck.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where is Jarius Cook transferring from ??
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

North Dakota St
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I lean towards excellent coaching making a difference in the recipe of player success through the college level until you hit the NBA ( where I think coaching from a teaching of the game perspective, not game strategy) where I think it has a lesser impact. I don’t have any special insight or a crystal ball, 15. Ive just loved the game from when I started playing as a kid. Failing health keeps me from even just shooting around but you all help remind me of my love for the game and Rhody. Much appreciated. Go Rhody! Go KB!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This player intrigues me.
Cam Spencer led the Patriot League in scoring 19 pts (first team) 47%FG/ 86%FT.
Nice size 6'4" at guard also 3.2 assists/ 5 rebs.

2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago This player intrigues me.
Cam Spencer led the Patriot League in scoring 19 pts (first team) 47%FG/ 86%FT.
Nice size 6'4" at guard also 3.2 assists/ 5 rebs.

Doesn't seem like he is too relevant
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s not 100%, but a lot of times the players who are releasing lists of who has contacted them to media people are the guys who tend to be looking for the most options. Guys who are good and who have been contacted by teams they want sometimes don’t go so public. It’s why you might hear nothing, then a short list of options followed pretty quickly by a commitment.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago DeAndre Gholston (6'5" wing) led Milwaukee in scoring the last 2 seasons.
Against us he had 16 pts/ 7 rebs.

Is this unusual 77 that he would do this prior to their Conference Tournament?
They already had been eliminated from the conference tourney earlier in the week. Season is ovah!
Just committed to Missouri, new coach Dennis Gates must have liked what he saw.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago It’s not 100%, but a lot of times the players who are releasing lists of who has contacted them to media people are the guys who tend to be looking for the most options. Guys who are good and who have been contacted by teams they want sometimes don’t go so public. It’s why you might hear nothing, then a short list of options followed pretty quickly by a commitment.
That seems like how it was with Fatts for example. Don’t remember a lot of noise about lists. Turgeon had been recruiting him for years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://evanmiya.com

770 players in the Portal now

Summary of A10 - which has 44 players currently:
10-LaSalle
7-George Mason
5-URI
5-St Joseph's
3-VCU
3-St Louis
3-George Washington
3-Fordham
2-Dayton
2-Richmond
1-Duquesne

3 Teams have no players in the Portal: UMASS, St Bonaventure and Davidson

Rankings among the 770 for the 5 URI Players in the Portal:
21-Walker
44-Leggett
139-Betrand
270-Berry
523-Ayo-Faleye

Rankings among the 44 Portal Transfers from the A10 for the 5 URI Players in the Portal:
1-Walker
2-Leggett
14-Betrand
26-Berry
35-Ayo-Faleye

Verbal Commits shows 828 in the transfer portal.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago https://evanmiya.com

10-LaSalle
7-George Mason
5-URI
5-St Joseph's
3-VCU
3-St Louis
3-George Washington
3-Fordham
2-Dayton
2-Richmond
1-Duquesne

21-Walker
44-Leggett
139-Betrand
270-Berry
523-Ayo-Faleye

Rankings among the 44 Portal Transfers from the A10 for the 5 URI Players in the Portal:
1-Walker
2-Leggett
14-Betrand
26-Berry
35-Ayo-Faleye
44 players in the portal from the A-10, and the two best are Walker and Leggett? I guess that is good that the other teams are not losing any of their top players if that is the case. Walker is OK but he is overrated on these boards in my opinion. An undersized four man with not much of an outside shot, that is prone to the live ball turnover, like most on our team and shot 50% from the foul line. Yes I know he shot 40% from 3 this year but that was on 45 attempts where teams would just dare him to shoot. He shot 26% the previous year from 3, and 27% the year before that.

Very curious that Umass fired their coach a month or so ago, and not one Umass player is in the portal?? Not really sure how to interpret that, but that is very unusual for a coach to be fired and no players from that team has entered the portal. Did they all hate Mccall and hoping for a better coach? Just love the school and the 800 fans that show up in the Mullins Center? Pretty surprising if you ask me.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

10-LaSalle
7-George Mason
5-URI
5-St Joseph's
3-VCU
3-St Louis
3-George Washington
3-Fordham
2-Dayton
2-Richmond
1-Duquesne

21-Walker
44-Leggett
139-Betrand
270-Berry
523-Ayo-Faleye

1-Walker
2-Leggett
14-Betrand
26-Berry
35-Ayo-Faleye

Verbal Commits shows 828 in the transfer portal.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022
Thanks for the research, Ramster.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago

10-LaSalle
7-George Mason
5-URI
5-St Joseph's
3-VCU
3-St Louis
3-George Washington
3-Fordham
2-Dayton
2-Richmond
1-Duquesne

21-Walker
44-Leggett
139-Betrand
270-Berry
523-Ayo-Faleye

1-Walker
2-Leggett
14-Betrand
26-Berry
35-Ayo-Faleye
44 players in the portal from the A-10, and the two best are Walker and Leggett? I guess that is good that the other teams are not losing any of their top players if that is the case. Walker is OK but he is overrated on these boards in my opinion. An undersized four man with not much of an outside shot, that is prone to the live ball turnover, like most on our team and shot 50% from the foul line. Yes I know he shot 40% from 3 this year but that was on 45 attempts where teams would just dare him to shoot. He shot 26% the previous year from 3, and 27% the year before that.

Very curious that Umass fired their coach a month or so ago, and not one Umass player is in the portal?? Not really sure how to interpret that, but that is very unusual for a coach to be fired and no players from that team has entered the portal. Did they all hate Mccall and hoping for a better coach? Just love the school and the 800 fans that show up in the Mullins Center? Pretty surprising if you ask me.
There are quality players from other A10 teams in the portal.
Actually some would consider a few of them better than Ish and Twan.

Below are several key A10 players in the portal or transferred:

Fordham - Antonio Daye 16.8 pts/ 3.6 rebs.
St. Joe's - Taylor Funk 13.2 pts./ 6.6 rebs.
GW - Joe Bamisile 16.3 pts/5 rebs. Rick Lindo 7.7 pts/7.8 rebs.
LaSalle- Clifton Moore 13 pts/6 rebs, Jack Clark 12 pts/5.8 rebs, Jhamir Brickus 9 pts/3.3 assists.
GM - Xavier Johnson 7.7 pts/4.6 assists/ 4.1 rebs.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The A10 players you mention are in the list of transfers

You can sort the transfers by team, by conference….many options in the website.
5B1DA833-2F58-47DF-B713-9076DEA2C8CC.png
1 x