Student Seating

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Student Seating

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Starting a new thread here so we don’t flood the Archie miller press conference one.

Since it would be hard to move students next to the away fans, I think they should go back to allocating the other baseline to students as well. We would need a lot more showing up for that to work, but it could happen with the new coach and a really good, exciting team.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: Student Seating

Unread post by ram1980 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Starting a new thread here so we don’t flood the Archie miller press conference one.

Since it would be hard to move students next to the away fans, I think they should go back to allocating the other baseline to students as well. We would need a lot more showing up for that to work, but it could happen with the new coach and a really good, exciting team.
Wasn't it both baselines a few years back.. think that's a good idea.. lower level of both baselines..
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Starting a new thread here so we don’t flood the Archie miller press conference one.

Wasn't it both baselines a few years back.. think that's a good idea.. lower level of both baselines..
Yup, it was like that in 2018-19. Much better having the students spread out. Remove the 300s seating and give them 107, 108 and 109.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’d be okay having them behind our bench and behind one of the baselines to disrupt opponent foul shooters. If we draw enough eventually - and I believe AM will do it - I’d like to see them behind the bench and both baseline’s.

Maybe have the juniors and seniors behind the bench and freshman and sophomores behind the baselines? A little incentive for staying in school. Lol!
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I’d be okay having them behind our bench and behind one of the baselines to disrupt opponent foul shooters. If we draw enough eventually - and I believe AM will do it - I’d like to see them behind the bench and both baseline’s.

Maybe have the juniors and seniors behind the bench and freshman and sophomores behind the baselines? A little incentive for staying in school. Lol!
I like your idea as well... Maybe Archie will want a specific setup for the students.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How student sections have evolved: Back in the days when most Big 5 schools played their home games in the Palestra, students sat behind the baskets. When the home team scored its first basket, the students would respond by throwing streamers onto the court. This continued into the early 1980s.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As I have written in many threads where this has been brought up in the past, I think part of the reason that students were moved from behind the opposing team bench was tied to a request by the A-10. I can recall reading many years ago that the opposing coaches, players, and their families made complaints to the the league office.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago As I have written in many threads where this has been brought up in the past, I think part of the reason that students were moved from behind the opposing team bench was tied to a request by the A-10. I can recall reading many years ago that the opposing coaches, players, and their families made complaints to the the league office.
I mean, I get why they were moved. But the response to the league should've been "good, that means they're doing their job"

That or move the visitor seats to the 300s
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago As I have written in many threads where this has been brought up in the past, I think part of the reason that students were moved from behind the opposing team bench was tied to a request by the A-10. I can recall reading many years ago that the opposing coaches, players, and their families made complaints to the the league office.
I mean, I get why they were moved. But the response to the league should've been "good, that means they're doing their job"

That or move the visitor seats to the 300s
Yes, or just move the students from behind the benches to the 100's on the other side and the people that had been sitting in the 100's there to behind the benches
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's pretty standard that visiting team ticket allotments are behind the bench. Any time I have secured away tickets from Rhody that has been where I am seated. There are many other places to put students just don't put them adjacent to someone's Mom. It's not that hard.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago It's pretty standard that visiting team ticket allotments are behind the bench. Any time I have secured away tickets from Rhody that has been where I am seated. There are many other places to put students just don't put them adjacent to someone's Mom. It's not that hard.
And most schools have students behind the benches, its part of the home court advantage. The moms can accept they're gonna hear mean things about little Jimmy or stay home. Its not that hard.

Sorry, I don't give two craps how comfortable a visiting fan is
2 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Do we want a college basketball atmosphere? Or do we want a family type atmosphere like the Pawsox had? I want a college basketball atmosphere.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Students are fine where they are, and that's coming from an original Ryan Center "Fanatical Fan" who didn't miss a game the first few years of the ryan center.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In my view the first focus should be on getting students to come out to ALL games using their FULL ticket allotment. Their exact seat placement, while important, should be the second concern.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago In my view the first focus should be on getting students to come out to ALL games using their FULL ticket allotment. Their exact seat placement, while important, should be the second concern.
Yeah agreed. Again, I think i was very much on the other side of this argument - but I've come around.

Went to Gampel and the XL this year, those were some of the craziest environments I've ever been in - seats were behind the basket and all the way up.

In Keaney, that place used to get deafening and Rhody would sled down the student section - which was behind the basket.

The most important thing is having students in the building, and letting them drink beer. I'm more concerned about the latter and the "policing" of student behavior than where they sit.

Reading the article where Sean Miller was talking about Archie and he said the Ryan Center was an intimidating environment. Which comes from loud angry college kids. As long as the environment allows for those kids to be kids, then we will be fine. Plus where the students are in 201 is where the opposing team shoots 2nd half.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Reading the article where Sean Miller was talking about Archie and he said the Ryan Center was an intimidating environment. Which comes from loud angry college kids. As long as the environment allows for those kids to be kids, then we will be fine. Plus where the students are in 201 is where the opposing team shoots 2nd half.
This is the real problem. There has been a culture shift with what is and is not tolerated. Maybe not everywhere. PC seems to tolerate it. UConn seems to tolerate it. URI doesn’t.

Hopefully this will change
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago It's pretty standard that visiting team ticket allotments are behind the bench. Any time I have secured away tickets from Rhody that has been where I am seated. There are many other places to put students just don't put them adjacent to someone's Mom. It's not that hard.
And most schools have students behind the benches, its part of the home court advantage. The moms can accept they're gonna hear mean things about little Jimmy or stay home. Its not that hard.

Sorry, I don't give two craps how comfortable a visiting fan is
I think at this point little Jimmy's mom can take hearing these things around her. that's part of the deal.

it's when our dipshit Brad starts running his mouth like a fisherman in Galilee TO the mom... that's where the problem is.

respect is earned, not given. run your mouth like a asshole, be prepared for little Jimmy's Dad to rearrange your face.
0 x
:lol:
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Do we want a college basketball atmosphere? Or do we want a family type atmosphere like the Pawsox had? I want a college basketball atmosphere.
why can't we have both?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
This is the real problem. There has been a culture shift with what is and is not tolerated. Maybe not everywhere. PC seems to tolerate it. UConn seems to tolerate it. URI doesn’t.

Hopefully this will change
Agreed - you need to let the kids have fun and be rowdy, that makes the environment. There should be 15ish student section parties every year and it should be THE place to be on campus. It’s letting kids be kids, it is the music, it’s the entire event product. It should not be that way just for big games.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Do we want a college basketball atmosphere? Or do we want a family type atmosphere like the Pawsox had? I want a college basketball atmosphere.
why can't we have both?
Sure - just don’t sit on the student section side. It is pretty common that there is a student section and then a more family oriented section these days. Don’t police the students to make the families happy, broadcast to the families that their section is on the other side and if you don’t want to be “bothered” by students sit over there. Don’t let the Karens destroy the atmosphere for everyone else.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
why can't we have both?
Sure - just don’t sit on the student section side. It is pretty common that there is a student section and then a more family oriented section these days. Don’t police the students to make the families happy, broadcast to the families that their section is on the other side and if you don’t want to be “bothered” by students sit over there. Don’t let the Karens destroy the atmosphere for everyone else.
This. Dont sit near a student section and expect it to sound like Sesame Street
3 x
---
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In this day and age, people will get offended at just about anything, so I can't see the students being placed near opposing teams guests and bench.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm all for not allowing alcohol to be brought in the building, keeping out drunks and charging $10 for an 8 oz beer. Problem solved.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm all for not allowing alcohol to be brought in the building, keeping out drunks and charging $10 for an 8 oz beer. Problem solved.
Clearly revenue generation isn’t your strength
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm all for not allowing alcohol to be brought in the building, keeping out drunks and charging $10 for an 8 oz beer. Problem solved.
We know evaluating talent and hiring people is one of his strengths!

🙄🙄🙄
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
We know evaluating talent and hiring people is one of his strengths!

🙄🙄🙄
Don't forget his expertise as a free throw shooter!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Is it standard? Here is a link to away game ticket allocation from the URI website:

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/tic ... -away.aspx

George Mason is behind the bench
Davidson is upper level corner
Dayton is upper level corner
Fordham is behind the bench
VCU is upper corner
St. Bonaventure is behind the bench
St. Joes is upper level corner

Put the opposing fans in 313, tell them to piss up a rope if they don't like it, and put the students back in the seats they're paying for
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’ve gotten Rhody tix recently at St Joe and VCU and both were behind bench with the student section to the right under the near basket similar to set up we have now.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Is it standard? Here is a link to away game ticket allocation from the URI website:

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/tic ... -away.aspx

George Mason is behind the bench
Davidson is upper level corner
Dayton is upper level corner
Fordham is behind the bench
VCU is upper corner
St. Bonaventure is behind the bench
St. Joes is upper level corner

Put the opposing fans in 313, tell them to piss up a rope if they don't like it, and put the students back in the seats they're paying for
Yeah as BAR said - there’s the family and donor tix behind the benches - and what you’re seeing is the visiting fan tix you can buy through URI.

No different than anywhere else.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

How many total 100 level seats are there in the Ryan Center?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Student seating at the RC is fine. Fill the seats behind the 1 basket from the floor to the 300s. If they are consistently full- open up seats directly behind the other basket. I doubt there are any students staying away because of the seating arrangement.
The issue is getting the kids to the games. This is where marketing/sales has to go to work- theme nights,giveaways,etc... The 18 year old freshman may not be a huge basketball fan- but if you get them to the game and they have a good time, they'll be back.
If there are 15 games at the RC, the goal should be to get all the student seats filled for 8-9 of them. 4-5 games are going to be during Dec/Jan break and there's prob 2-3 games during Nov/early Dec that will be tough draws-ie Brown on a Tues night.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes exactly.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Student seating at the RC is fine. Fill the seats behind the 1 basket from the floor to the 300s. If they are consistently full- open up seats directly behind the other basket. I doubt there are any students staying away because of the seating arrangement.
The issue is getting the kids to the games. This is where marketing/sales has to go to work- theme nights,giveaways,etc... The 18 year old freshman may not be a huge basketball fan- but if you get them to the game and they have a good time, they'll be back.
If there are 15 games at the RC, the goal should be to get all the student seats filled for 8-9 of them. 4-5 games are going to be during Dec/Jan break and there's prob 2-3 games during Nov/early Dec that will be tough draws-ie Brown on a Tues night.
Yeah, I'm sure it's not a problem for kids when they're stuck up in the 300's behind a basket, those are always the first seats to go...

How do you propose making students whole for charging them for courtside 100 seats and sticking them up in the rafters?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Student seating at the RC is fine. Fill the seats behind the 1 basket from the floor to the 300s. If they are consistently full- open up seats directly behind the other basket. I doubt there are any students staying away because of the seating arrangement.
Yeah, I'm sure it's not a problem for kids when they're stuck up in the 300's behind a basket, those are always the first seats to go...

How do you propose making students whole for charging them for courtside 100 seats and sticking them up in the rafters?
Are the students even aware or care that they are being charged for those seats? Have they complained or inquired? If they were but behind the bench, as some people think they should be, wouldn't the overflow be put elsewhere? There's not many seats down there.
My guess is there is student apathy for the fee- just like for the team.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

The point is if you aren't going to give them the prime seats, then stop charging them for 1/3 of the Ryan Center build cost in their tuition. Which every student has tacked onto their tuition and has since the Ryan Center opened 20 years ago. The agreement was students take 1/3 the cost, but get the prime seats in return...which they have yet to consistently get or even get on the scale that they should.

Visiting families/donors can sit in the allotted 100s if they want, and they can deal with the students. If they dont like it, they're free to go sit in the allotted 300s seats
2 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago

Are the students even aware or care that they are being charged for those seats? Have they complained or inquired? If they were but behind the bench, as some people think they should be, wouldn't the overflow be put elsewhere? There's not many seats down there.
So if somebody doesn't know they're paying for something it's ok to charge them for that and give them a lesser product?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

So if somebody doesn't know they're paying for something it's ok to charge them for that and give them a lesser product?
The students originally got a very good deal considering they use the Ryan Center for special events but in my opinion they should have stuck with the original deal. Maybe they could make it fair by giving them tickets in the lower bowl whenever season ticket holders do not renew them? It will not be great when school is not in session and the students do not show up.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The big question is does the fee go away in 8 years when the RC is paid off?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have to wonder where EZ Buckets thinks the students should sit?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

The students originally got a very good deal considering they use the Ryan Center for special events but in my opinion they should have stuck with the original deal. Maybe they could make it fair by giving them tickets in the lower bowl whenever season ticket holders do not renew them? It will not be great when school is not in session and the students do not show up.
yeah, special events they have to pay to get in to
1 x
---
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Again, I've come to the other side of this - but getting free tickets and only having to show up at the door is a hell of a deal.

I'm not sure anyone is complaining about their tuition or fees or whatever they would owe per game.

I think it's more important to have a full crowd on TV - which you won't have for 1/3 of the games at home with the students at midcourt.

Also, keeping them all in one place on the visitor's baseline gives us an advantage in the 2nd half.

I would make sections 100-102, and 200-202 all students, and put the overflow up top.

Most other arenas do that. No kid is "slighted" considering all of the kids going to games next year weren't out of diapers or born when this "agreement" happened.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

The point is if you aren't going to give them the prime seats, then stop charging them for 1/3 of the Ryan Center build cost in their tuition. Which every student has tacked onto their tuition and has since the Ryan Center opened 20 years ago. The agreement was students take 1/3 the cost, but get the prime seats in return...which they have yet to consistently get or even get on the scale that they should.

Visiting families/donors can sit in the allotted 100s if they want, and they can deal with the students. If they dont like it, they're free to go sit in the allotted 300s seats
why shouldn't some of the cost for the RC be put in the tuition? every kid is paying for it whether they go or not. just like some of the other things on campus that need to be paid for.

if not, who SHOULD be paying for the RC? the RI tax payer only?

how many bonds have been approved over the years for projects on campus? 3, 7? I don't know the number but I know it's a handful. I will never step foot into any other those buildings (not because I don't want to but why would I need to?) but guess what? I'm still paying for it whether I voted yes or no.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The ticket office could make a plan for the games the students are on Christmas break. If it's 5 games, they could do a 5 game mini-plan. If it's 6, they could do two separate 3 game plans specifically for those sections. Or they could sell them individually at a discount like they do now for the student sections. It's certainly doable. Those are prime seats. They'd sell.....as long as we're good, which I expect we will be going forward.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The ticket office could make a plan for the games the students are on Christmas break. If it's 5 games, they could do a 5 game mini-plan. If it's 6, they could do two separate 3 game plans specifically for those sections. Or they could sell them individually at a discount like they do now for the student sections. It's certainly doable. Those are prime seats. They'd sell.....as long as we're good, which I expect we will be going forward.
And what happens to all the season ticket holders in those 100 level seats? Where do they go? Do they push out people in the front rows of 205? 211? Do they go to the end zone seats where students are now?

And certainly their “new” seats will not be the same cost as what the Ryan Center is receiving now. So there will be a net loss of revenue.

Last few games if the season there were few students. And they were in school.

Anybody could literally sit wherever they wanted in February and March. Announced 4800 was actually 1500.

So long term season ticket holders in 100 level seating who physically sat in their 100 level seats get booted now that the team will be good again.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…..well, first of all, as a season ticket holder in 105, I did not steal any students seat, I wanted season tickets and 105 was available…….secondly, I would like to think that any sections 100 relocation season ticket holders would be offered best available…….and not push anyone out of their prime 200 rows……question, do we see students directly behind the Rhody bench?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..well, first of all, as a season ticket holder in 105, I did not steal any students seat, I wanted season tickets and 105 was available…….secondly, I would like to think that any sections 100 relocation season ticket holders would be offered best available…….and not push anyone out of their prime 200 rows……question, do we see students directly behind the Rhody bench?
you sit there. do you?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Again, I've come to the other side of this - but getting free tickets and only having to show up at the door is a hell of a deal.

I'm not sure anyone is complaining about their tuition or fees or whatever they would owe per game.

I think it's more important to have a full crowd on TV - which you won't have for 1/3 of the games at home with the students at midcourt.

Also, keeping them all in one place on the visitor's baseline gives us an advantage in the 2nd half.

I would make sections 100-102, and 200-202 all students, and put the overflow up top.

Most other arenas do that. No kid is "slighted" considering all of the kids going to games next year weren't out of diapers or born when this "agreement" happened.
They're not free, they're $392 per year.

The argument that it's important to have a full crowd on TV makes no sense here because when has the Ryan Center ever been full outside of the student sections with almost no students at the game? Never. Our regular fanbase is just as fair weather as the students, in fact they're probably worse than the students. How many empty seats do we see constantly where the students used to sit? A bunch. If a person misses a game in the prime seats should we move their future tickets to the 300s behind a basket, because they made us look bad on TV or do we just hold students to that standard? If it's just about how it looks on TV you could move the students to the 100's on the camera side and nobody would even see.

Again, I don't even really care where you sit them, but if we're going to break the contract the students made with the administration and stick them in the worst seats in the house they shouldn't be charged for the prime seats any longer and you need to figure out other ways to pay off that part of the bond. And don't treat the students like shit, overcharge them for the privilege, then wonder why they can't be bothered. Anyone saying the students are fine where they are and being charged overmarket for it needs to keep the student section criticism out of their posts from now on. People want the students to pay through the nose for the worst seats in the house, fill up their entire allotment even when outsiders can't be bothered to show up to games, and then be an active student section when they're in the worst seats being babysat by somebody in their mid-30's. Shit doesn't work like that
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I mean ....................you....................sit ...............there. do............. you.......?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

….funny, yes
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

yeah, special events they have to pay to get in to
Entertainers like to be paid. It would have been nice to have more special events on campus back in the day. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
0 x