Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Sly by a mile!!

In addition to his game, he drove that massive Eldorado, which for 3 years, was parked in every fire lane and no parking area on campus. It was hilarious!
0 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Gary Koenig (RIP) the all time #2 rebounder was the backbone of the 1961 team.
0 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

An interesting thing about Sly that has already been mentioned. URI despite being strongly considered for the Big East was never invited because our AD Mo Zarchen and Dave Gavitt didn't like each other (hate might be to strong a word) and didn't get along at all. But the final nail in the coffin was URI stealing Sly from PC.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NC_Ram wrote: 2 years ago Sly by a mile!!

In addition to his game, he drove that massive Eldorado, which for 3 years, was parked in every fire lane and no parking area on campus. It was hilarious!
Not if a degree is required. Davidson has not even retired Steph Curry's number for this reason.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago How about Andre Samuel? IMHO...One of the most unsung players in program history.

Points, Rebounds, Steals? You name it. He did it all. I think he was listed at 6'5" but he was closer to 6'4". Started from day 1 and was a huge contributor on some great Rhody teams that competed in a tough A10.

Not saying they should retire his jersey but just wanted to call him and his squad out. That early to mid-90s team is often overlooked in Rhody lore but they had Keaney rocking on a nightly basis!!

I had not realized how high up he was for many different career categories. Samuel was very much an under the radar guy that doesn't seem to receive the proper due.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Most surprising name and stat on those leader lists:

20. Eric Leslie (1988-91) 1,453

I know he liked to shoot but I don't recall him being here that long or scoring that many points.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t see Fatts in any of those leaders lists thought he was up there ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Blue wrote: 2 years ago Most surprising name and stat on those leader lists:

I know he liked to shoot but I don't recall him being here that long or scoring that many points.
He transferred from Villanova. He loved to shoot. Played 3 years at URI.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... lie-1.html
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

How about sharp shooter Dennis McGovern, before the 3 point shot and freshman eligibility? According to URI Hall of Fame, "DENNIS C. MCGOVERN '65, who ranked tenth all-time in Rams basketball history with 1,696 points at the time of his induction, was drafted by the NBA's New York Knickerbockers and later played and coached in the Eastern Basketball League for several years. He was also assistant basketball coach at Rhode Island College as well as an administrator there." He doesn't show up on the list?
NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago What is more impressive to me are the players who are on this list from the "freshman team" and "pre-three-point line" eras. If memory serves, they didn't play as many games as the current teams play.

URI SCORING CAREER
Rank Player (years) Points
1. Carlton Owens (1984-88) 2,114
2. Tyson Wheeler (1994-98) 1,918
3. E.C. Matthews (2013-18) 1,899
4. Ernie Calverley (1943-46) 1,868***
5. Sly Williams (1976-79) 1,777
6. Jimmy Baron (2005-09) 1,765
7. Jared Terrell (2014-18) 1,754
8. Steve Chubin (1962-64, 65-66) 1,751
9. Horace “Pappy” Owens (1979-83) 1,750
10. Stan Stutz (1938-40, 41-42) 1,730***
11. Kenny Green (1985-90) 1,724
12. Will Daniels (2004-2008) 1,678
13. Antonio Reynolds-Dean (1995-99) 1,576
14. Tom Garrick (1984-88) 1,573
15. John Fultz (1967-70) 1,566***
16. Jiggy Williamson (1974-78) 1,531
17. Andre Samuel (1990-94) 1,490
18. Delroy James (2007-11) 1,460
19. Art Stephenson (1965-68) 1,458***
21. Steve Rowell (1970-73) 1,447***
22. Jeff Dowtin 2016-19 1,410
23. Bill Von Weyhe (1954-57) 1,399***
24. Ron Marozzi (1954-57) 1,377***
25. Stan Wright (1974-78) 1,346
26. Cuttino Mobley (1994-98) 1,334
27. Jimmy Wright (1977-81) 1,333
28. Bill Baird (1950-53) 1,307***
29. Hassan Martin (2013-present) 1,300
30. John Evans (1985-89) 1,297
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago Ring of Honor/Hall of Greats:

Caverley
Garrick
Silk Owens
Sly
Kenny Green
Wheeler
Mobley
ARD
Odom (but I get why it wont happen)
Jimmy
Will Daniels
Delroy
EC
Hass
Terrell

If we're hanging numbers (but not retiring them) then I reduce it to Caverley, Sly, Wheeler, Mobley, Jimmy, EC, Hassan
Great list, but you have to add Silk to that last line, right?
Should've been there...fixed

Also, add Dawan Robinson to the hall of greats. He was phenomenal before he blew his knee out, a true "what could've been" guy
Another one I saw blow out his knee at the Dunk and stopped a great career was Marc Upshaw. Him and Pappy were a great combo.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t see Fatts in any of those leaders lists thought he was up there ??
Good catch, my list looks to be a bit dated. Fatts had 1,594 points, 411 assists, and 213 steals at URI. He would be in the top lists for several categories.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Love Dowtin, had a nice career but he's nowhere close to an all time great....he's at best our 4th best PG in my own lifetime (Silk, Tyson, Jiggy).
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Love Dowtin, had a nice career but he's nowhere close to an all time great....he's at best our 4th best PG in my own lifetime (Silk, Tyson, Jiggy).
Yea, at this point this is becoming part of the participation trophy era, where anyone and everyone gets recognition.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I remember. IIRC, his license plate was SLY35.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I think we are getting a little off track? A lot of these guys were nice players, but GREAT? I think not. But it just shows how hard a job it will be to make the selections.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’ll take a crack. Here’s what I got…

Players:
Sly
Jaworski
Modzelewski
Calverly
Stephenson
Silk
Wheeler
Garrick
Green
ARD
Coaches:
Keaney
Harrick
Penders

I limited it to 10 players and weighted heavily towards All Americans, deep tourney runs, record book.

This was gut wrenching. Players that didn’t make the 10, plus coaches Hurley and Skinner, deserve special recognition, in some fashion, in the Ryan Center and/or the practice facility.

Flame away!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I remember. IIRC, his license plate was SLY35.
And it was a Lincoln Town Car.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

recognition should be given to the 1946 nit bb team that lost in the finals to kentucky by 1 point
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I’ll take a crack. Here’s what I got…

Players:
Sly
Jaworski
Modzelewski
Calverly
Stephenson
Owens
Wheeler
Garrick
Green
ARD
Coaches:
Keaney
Harrick
Penders

I limited it to 10 players and weighted heavily towards All Americans, deep tourney runs, record book.

This was gut wrenching. Players that didn’t make the 10, plus coaches Hurley and Skinner, deserve special recognition, in some fashion, in the Ryan Center and/or the practice facility.

Flame away!
You need Owens and Owens...Pappy and Silk.

Harrick doesn't make my list, sorry. Nor would Penders.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Who wants to calculate points per game to at least attempt to normalize for season length?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Players:
Sly
Jaworski
Modzelewski
Calverly
Stephenson
Owens
Wheeler
Garrick
Green
ARD
Coaches:
Keaney
Harrick
Penders

Flame away!

Agree with not having Harrick or Penders, they were rentals.

I would add Steve Chubin.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Who wants to calculate points per game to at least attempt to normalize for season length?
Included in the record book is scoring average leaders for both career and for one season. I'm not sure why Calverly and Stutz aren't listed among career leaders. That has to be a mistake. They both should be in there. This is also up to date as compared to the last one posted, with Fatts listed in some categories. https://gorhody.com/documents/2022/2/27 ... d_Book.pdf
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Who wants to calculate points per game to at least attempt to normalize for season length?
Included in the record book is scoring average leaders for both career and for one season. I'm not sure why Calverly and Stutz aren't listed among career leaders. That has to be a mistake. They both should be in there. This is also up to date as compared to the last one posted, with Fatts listed in some categories. https://gorhody.com/documents/2022/2/27 ... d_Book.pdf
Which begs a question: Does anybody know who is in charge of posting the record book? I'd like to ask him/her why Calverly, Stutz and probably Jaworski aren't listed in the top 10 for career scoring average.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Players:
Sly
Jaworski
Modzelewski
Calverly
Stephenson
Owens
Wheeler
Garrick
Green
ARD
Coaches:
Keaney
Harrick
Penders

Flame away!

It’s very hard for me to disagree, PMMM. Love Silk and Pappy! I knew Pappy and some of the players from the early 80’s. Played in some pickup games with them in Keaney back then. Great guys!

And, Harrick and Penders getting bumped makes sense. Next tier down makes more sense.

Good stuff. So many memories and knowledge fades for me with time. I’m glad I won’t be anywhere near a committee for this!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hold on, PMMM, Silks on the list. Damn, I’m already forgetting my own list! Yikes! I better load up on the ginkgo baloba and regenerate some brain cells.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago recognition should be given to the 1946 nit bb team that lost in the finals to kentucky by 1 point
In the 1940's, the NIT was considered more prestigious than the NCAA tournament. The games were played at Madison Square Garden. And Kentucky was probably the most dominant team through the decade and into the 1950's. That game could be considered the national championship game!!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great point, RJR! This is one of the reasons why we need to honor our history because you have jamokes like me that suffer brain atrophy after awhile and need to be reminded! Help me out, Thorr!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Hold on, PMMM, Silks on the list. Damn, I’m already forgetting my own list! Yikes! I better load up on the ginkgo baloba and regenerate some brain cells.
I think he meant that you put 'Owens'. That could mean Silk or Pappy. You didn't specify which one. If you meant both, you probably should have put Owens x 2. :lol:
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Damn, I’m loosing it!!!

Went back and fixed it. I better start drinking more coffee. Sheesh.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RJRam wrote: 2 years ago
kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago recognition should be given to the 1946 nit bb team that lost in the finals to kentucky by 1 point
In the 1940's, the NIT was considered more prestigious than the NCAA tournament. The games were played at Madison Square Garden. And Kentucky was probably the most dominant team through the decade and into the 1950's. That game could be considered the national championship game!!
It was back then. The current landscape makes most fans forget that the NIT used to be the National Championship
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It was back then. The current landscape makes most fans forget that the NIT used to be the National Championship
I think the fact that some fans weren't even born when the NIT was the national championship probably also effects their feelings towards it.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I resemble that remark - the last two posts, actually. Excellent thread…Go Rhody!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I resemble that remark - the last two posts, actually. Excellent thread…Go Rhody!
Same, I was born in 85. I'm just a history nerd
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I think the fact that some fans weren't even born when the NIT was the national championship probably also effects their feelings towards it.
BTW By the early 1960's, when PC had a couple of nice runs in the NIT, the NCAA had surpassed its rival, NIT, for first dibs in invitations to the best teams, therefore becoming the premier tourney. That left PC holding a trophy, somewhat like a second fiddle.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff! Thanks, RJ.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’m all for honoring the past but how bout we start with honoring teams and players that are actually still alive. And that people have a connection to as a source of pride. Then go from there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I’m all for honoring the past but how bout we start with honoring teams and players that are actually still alive. And that people have a connection to as a source of pride. Then go from there.
That's why I want to do the 60s and 70s players who are still alive first. Unfortunately, my all-time favorite, Jiggy, passed a few years ago. I would expect Jimmy B, EC and Jared to be alive for a long time. Guys in my era only have so much time left.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree Bar & 78. Get the ones that are alive in here first (and soon!) then circle back to the ones that have passed at a later time.

I don’t recall Jiggy’s passing - unless it just slipped my mind. Did he pass around the same time as Percy Davis? RIP to them both. Gone too soon. :(
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I agree Bar & 78. Get the ones that are alive in here first (and soon!) then circle back to the ones that have passed at a later time.

I don’t recall Jiggy’s passing - unless it just slipped my mind. Did he pass around the same time as Percy Davis? RIP to them both. Gone too soon. :(
Jiggy passed in 2005. He was only 49.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Surprised that so many list Tyson Wheeler and no mention of Cat Mobley. The last season for both was 1998. Cat was the A10 Player of the Year and was drafted ahead of Tyson in round 2. Cat played in the NBA for several years while Tyson had a cup of coffee.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I agree Bar & 78. Get the ones that are alive in here first (and soon!) then circle back to the ones that have passed at a later time.

Umm what? You don't think the families of those who have passed, who are more deserving, would not love that honor? But because they are dead, we should honor those alive first? Wow.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What the heck are you talking about? Not what I meant at all.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Blueram, What the heck are you talking about? Not what I meant at all. Sheesh!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tom Penders agrees on Silk, Tommy and Kenny.

2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I place Fatts in the same category as Leslie and Marbury - players who thought they were too big for URI, Even DH did not want him as a grad transfer. He goes to Maryland and another coach bites the dust.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I respectfully disagree, 72. I place Fatts above those two - plus he provided some fantastic, standout memories for me. One being against Oklahoma in the tourney.

For me, Fatts was dynamic yet frustrating at times.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I respectfully disagree, 72. I place Fatts above those two - plus he provided some fantastic, standout memories for me. One being against Oklahoma in the tourney.

Fatts made a steal and took a terrible 3-point shot that went in. (In this case, most people have the ends justifying the means.) Unfortunately, he took many more bad shots that never went in.

Pappy was 10x the player Fatts was.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I respectfully disagree, 72. I place Fatts above those two - plus he provided some fantastic, standout memories for me. One being against Oklahoma in the tourney.

Fatts made a steal and took a terrible 3-point shot that went in. (In this case, most people have the ends justifying the means.) Unfortunately, he took many more bad shots that never went in.

hahaha what!!!??? Have you never seen someone pull up to shoot a 3 instead of going for the easy layup? Seriously? How about when someone can easily block the ball and keep possession but rather swat it into the stands? Is that terrible too? Do you realize how much momentum that shot gave us?? Hitting that shot had Reggie Miller and the entire arena going nuts.. A layup wouldn't have...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

hahaha what!!!??? Have you never seen someone pull up to shoot a 3 instead of going for the easy layup? Seriously? How about when someone can easily block the ball and keep possession but rather swat it into the stands? Is that terrible too? Do you realize how much momentum that shot gave us?? Hitting that shot had Reggie Miller and the entire arena going nuts.. A layup wouldn't have...
Again, you are not understanding what I'm saying. You're talking about the ball going in the basket. Great, it went in. I was excited. The fact is that Fatts took a bunch of bad shots over his career and more often than not, those shots missed (check his FG%, this is a verifiable stat). The shot against OU was a bad (i.e. low percentage) shot but it went in. Both facts (1. low percentage shot and 2. it went in) can be true. The arena would've gone just as crazy had he passed the ball to a streaking Stan Robinson, who was open for the dunk.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It was a wide open 3 with two guys (Stan and EC) crashing the boards against Trae Young. It wasn’t as bad of a shot as you are making it especially not in the moment. And it was an absolute momentum swinging play. Now did he take other many ill advised and contested step back threes in his career, absolutely. But that wasn’t one of them.
2 x