David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch answered my question about the years left on the Cox contract in his Projo piece 03/18/22:

The Rams owe Cox a buyout of roughly $1 million and will be negotiating a settlement with his representatives in the coming days. Cox was given a previously undisclosed one-year extension following the 2019-20 campaign and had two years remaining on his existing deal. He finished 64-55 in his four seasons with URI, and that followed a successful four years on staff as an assistant coach and associate head coach under Hurley.

Cox did get an extension after the 2019-20 season which was not made public. Seems it may have been the result of the 20+ win season rather than Covid related as the pandemic was still in its infancy with the extent of the effects that would ravage the nation not yet fully known. Not certain of the $1M figure as the original contract had the buyout at only his roughly $300k base per season after year three was completed. Perhaps some of the bonus was put back in as was the case if terminated before year three.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Bill Koch answered my question about the years left on the Cox contract in his Projo piece 03/18/22:

The Rams owe Cox a buyout of roughly $1 million and will be negotiating a settlement with his representatives in the coming days. Cox was given a previously undisclosed one-year extension following the 2019-20 campaign and had two years remaining on his existing deal. He finished 64-55 in his four seasons with URI, and that followed a successful four years on staff as an assistant coach and associate head coach under Hurley.

Cox did get an extension after the 2019-20 season which was not made public. Seems it may have been the result of the 20+ win season rather than Covid related as the pandemic was still in its infancy with the extent of the effects that would ravage the nation not yet fully known. Not certain of the $1M figure as the original contract had the buyout at only his roughly $300k base per season after year three was completed. Perhaps some of the bonus was put back in as was the case if terminated before year three.
Why was the extension not disclosed? Why wouldn’t that want to be made public so that recruits and transfers would know the length of the HC’s contract?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Bill Koch answered my question about the years left on the Cox contract in his Projo piece 03/18/22:

I read that too - it still doesn't explain the #. The extra year means $600K instead of $300K - where is the extra $400K coming from? Unless the buy out isn't just the base salary but also includes other stuff.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I read that too - it still doesn't explain the #. The extra year means $600K instead of $300K - where is the extra $400K coming from? Unless the buy out isn't just the base salary but also includes other stuff.

The buyout prior to termination after year three included some bonus money as well as the guaranteed base salary per the original contract. Only the base salary was to be the buyout if he was let go beyond year three. The only explanation for the $1M amount would be that some bonus money was put back in.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Makes a lot of sense given Cox has very deep roots and connections to the DMV area.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cox recruiting for Maryland in the DMV would be a home run hire for them.
11 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Happy for DC! Hope he ends up there or somewhere where his skill set fits. He’s a high quality person and an excellent role model. Please just stay away from the position-less basketball philosophy, coach!
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
Cox recruiting for Maryland in the DMV would be a home run hire for them.
Would make me extremely happy for him to land in such a good spot for him. Really would take care of the only hanging emotional thread in this whole saga.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox to Maryland makes a lot of sense especially as a recruiter
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, great news if true for David Cox and family! He would excel in that role as he did here under Hurley.

Willard may not want David to handle the timeouts strategy, however.

(I'm dying to hear from Cox his philosophy on The Cox Timeout™)
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is Chance good enough to follow Coach Cox to Maryland?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago Is Chance good enough to follow Coach Cox to Maryland?
Only if he likes watching basketball games instead of playing in them
5 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That would be a great fit for Dave, gets him closer to home with a solid program and coach.

I have no idea if he would have any interest in going back to Georgetown, but it’s hard to overstate just how poorly Georgetown basketball is being run right now. Unless you are convinced that Ewing can miraculously turn it around, what they’ve done is kept him (after extending him), fired two assistants, and made it very difficult to hire quality guys who know that they may only be there for a year.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great landing spot for Coach Cox. Very happy for him.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He should make good money for an assistant there and be close to home. His very strong DMV connections should help Maryland.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I'm genuinely happy for Coach Cox. Congrats, Coach.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Good luck to Coach Cox.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good for coach Cox! The Maryland program snagged an excellent mentor and a solid recruiter. The fact it didn’t take long to land at a quality program speaks highly of him. Rooting for you, coach!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good call 77 seemed like a good landing spot
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Hell yeah coach Cox!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Congratulations David Cox and Family..........

Get to go back home to Maryland
Starts immediately
Chance to start over in a new environment
Get pay out of $1 million from URI based on contract
Coaching in the Big 10 that just had 9 teams invited to the NCAA Tournament
Lot of pressure off of him and his family
Could build towards being a Head Coach again as many former Head Coaches do - if desired

Best of Luck and Thank You
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Excellent news. Exactly what he needed. Couldn’t have scripted it any better.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Hell yeah coach Cox!
This is awesome. As repeated many times - he's an asset to any program. Love that he's going up a level and has a chance to go home as well.

So happy for him and the family. Will definitely miss them up here as neighbors.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s a good move for him, but it’s still a little bittersweet. It’s not exactly how he hoped it would all turn out.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ace wrote: 2 years ago It’s a good move for him, but it’s still a little bittersweet. It’s not exactly how he hoped it would all turn out.
I’m sure that he hoped it worked out better here, but a lot of great coaches fail at their first try. I don’t think this is the last we hear of David Cox as a HC.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago It’s a good move for him, but it’s still a little bittersweet. It’s not exactly how he hoped it would all turn out.
I’m sure that he hoped it worked out better here, but a lot of great coaches fail at their first try. I don’t think this is the last we hear of David Cox as a HC.
I think we all hoped it would work out better. But him landing on his feet at a great place makes me feel a lot less conflicted.

This no longer feels like bittersweet, just straight up excited for the Archie era!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A lot of coaches, in different ways, were victims of the pandemic. I think Cox and Miller are 2 examples
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Fantastic news!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Hell yeah coach Cox!
This is awesome. As repeated many times - he's an asset to any program. Love that he's going up a level and has a chance to go home as well.

So happy for him and the family. Will definitely miss them up here as neighbors.
And see

We still love him!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Curious on his salary does anyone know ??
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think we all hoped it would work out better. But him landing on his feet at a great place makes me feel a lot less conflicted.

This no longer feels like bittersweet, just straight up excited for the Archie era!
Bittersweet for him and the people who really care about him, not fans.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 2 years ago

Why can’t I be a fan and also root for the guy to do well, while being conflicted about a really good man losing his job even if it was the right thing to do for the program I root for?
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

Why can’t I be a fan and also root for the guy to do well, while being conflicted about a really good man losing his job even if it was the right thing to do for the program I root for?
Don't look now Blue Man, but you pretty much perfectly described bittersweet
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Ex-URI basketball coach David Cox is back in the game, now an assistant coach at Maryland

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 147927001/
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Cox can excel as a P5 assistant especially as a recruiter can make a really nice living without the stress of a head coaching job
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good landing spot for him, and not out of work for long.....about a week lol.....

I'm sure it's decent money too.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Good landing spot for him, and not out of work for long.....about a week lol.....

so, this must save Rhody some or most of the buyout?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I don’t know him personally, but Coach Cox always struck me as a man of strong faith. Storms in life don’t sink men of strong faith; storms strengthen their faith and ultimately make them better.

The clouds are fading and the sun is breaking through. Sail on Coach. May the wind always be at your back.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Good landing spot for him, and not out of work for long.....about a week lol.....

so, this must save Rhody some or most of the buyout?
I don’t think Cox had an offset clause. Maybe RF can check?

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just reread the termination clauses from the original 2018 contract and there was nothing regarding the buyout being decreased via the offset of compensation in a similar job.

Did notice that the contract did have a buyout if Cox were to terminate it. He would have owed URI $700k if he left in the first three years and $300k after that. This was lower than for Hurley and would be something worth examining when the Miller contract is made public.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 can you please post the contract file here for posterity and also the full Termination language?

Hurley’s damages were to be paid in full within 60 days to the amount equal to all remaining base salary through original contract term.

Buyout negotiations right now for Cox are likely working out paying him more than base pay but over a significantly longer multi-year term. That’s gotta be how they get near that $1M number Koch and others are confidently reporting.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

from ig
Attachments
E99B2742-23A7-46F2-BB8E-88268D86D18C.jpeg
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

David Cox 2018 Contract with URI
David Cox-Official Contract-2018.pdf
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I just reread the termination clauses from the original 2018 contract and there was nothing regarding the buyout being decreased via the offset of compensation in a similar job.

Did notice that the contract did have a buyout if Cox were to terminate it. He would have owed URI $700k if he left in the first three years and $300k after that. This was lower than for Hurley and would be something worth examining when the Miller contract is made public.
URI/Miller contract IS public. I have it and have read it.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I doubt any URI players in the portal will be following Cox to Maryland.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I doubt any URI players in the portal will be following Cox to Maryland.
Really?

I'm assuming Walker is good as gone. He's from DC, is a Cox guy, and can play his last year for The Terps
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years agofrom ig
This pic is absolutely magnificent
0 x