2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Think Frank Martin is a solid choice @ UMass
Schmidt staying at St. Bonaventure and Frank Martin going to UMass is probably the best outcome for the A10
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Schmidt staying at St. Bonaventure and Frank Martin going to UMass is probably the best outcome for the A10

UMass would still have to close the deal with Martin. Given their track record, I would not think it is guaranteed.

Given URI got their man in a quick and professional manner along with me having no skin in this game, I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed following the UMass hiring saga today. There were just so many plot twists. Following Blaudschun's tweets alone were good comedy with all the assertions and reversals coming one after another. It was akin to watching a ball going back and forth in a game of tennis.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
I think Thamel was the first to call Archie Miller last Wednesday so....
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Agreed just makes the lesgue a lot stronger
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago “Emerged as the target” has become the euphemism of choice for “this is going to happen” for CBB reporters reporting on coaching candidacies. Would think it’s very very likely at this point Martin is the next coach at UMass. That’ll be fun.
They're "zeroing in" on him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Meanwhile it is 2:00pm on Day 23 of the UMass search. No sign yet of white smoke from atop the Athletic Dept offices of UMass. Eerily quiet today with no news after all the fast changing drama that ensued yesterday. UMass fans are very much hoping something happens today as they don't expect an announcement would be made on Friday, the same day that their men's hockey program starts its defense of its national championship against Minnesota in nearby Worcester. They think a basketball hire on that day would be in bad form as it would detract from their hockey program.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Meanwhile it is 2:00pm on Day 23 of the UMass search. No sign yet of white smoke from atop the Athletic Dept offices of UMass. Eerily quiet today with no news after all the fast changing drama that ensued yesterday. UMass fans are very much hoping something happens today as they don't expect an announcement would be made on Friday, the same day that their men's hockey program starts its defense of its national championship against Minnesota in nearby Worcester. They think a basketball hire on that day would be in bad form as it would detract from their hockey program.
And since it's UMass, that's exactly when they'll announce it
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Meanwhile it is 2:00pm on Day 23 of the UMass search. No sign yet of white smoke from atop the Athletic Dept offices of UMass. Eerily quiet today with no news after all the fast changing drama that ensued yesterday. UMass fans are very much hoping something happens today as they don't expect an announcement would be made on Friday, the same day that their men's hockey program starts its defense of its national championship against Minnesota in nearby Worcester. They think a basketball hire on that day would be in bad form as it would detract from their hockey program.
Makes me wonder if Schmidt is still in play for them. I’d rather see Schmidt stay at Bona and Martin land at UMess, as others have said. Better for the A10 and Rhody.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Thamel is one of the best, I would imagine his information about Martin emerging as the target for UMass is solid.

There was a 24-48 hour buffer between when Thamel said URI was closing in on Miller and when it was actually announced.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin met with UMASS on Tuesday and is meeting with UMASS today as well
Schmidt backed out
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Makes me wonder if Schmidt is still in play for them. I’d rather see Schmidt stay at Bona and Martin land at UMess, as others have said. Better for the A10 and Rhody.

I think the Schmidt possibility is dead. They may have been waiting for him but it now appears he has rebuffed them and got a raise and further commitments from SBU. It seems the UMass focus is now on Frank Martin. I am however starting to wonder if that is the case, why is there no deal yet? I would think given the bad press for UMass yesterday along with building frustration and anxiety in their fans, it would be best to get this resolved asap.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

I think the Schmidt possibility is dead. They may have been waiting for him but it now appears he has rebuffed them and got a raise and further commitments from SBU. It seems the UMass focus is now on Frank Martin. I am however starting to wonder if that is the case, why is there no deal yet? I would think given the bad press for UMass yesterday along with building frustration and anxiety in their fans, it would be best to get this resolved asap.
Martin met with UMASS officials Tuesday and again today.
I’d much rather hire the right guy than worry about whether it’s 16, 26 or 36 days. Martin only recently became available. His wife is a UMASS grad.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Martin only recently became available.
Martin was let go on March 14th. Ten days is an eternity in hiring coaches at this level today.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Martin met with UMASS on Tuesday and is meeting with UMASS today as well
Schmidt backed out
Good for Bona and Schmidt. Come on Minutemen, get Martin done.

Thanks for the update, Ramster.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Martin only recently became available.
Martin was let go on March 14th. Ten days is an eternity in hiring coaches at this level.
Schmidt surprisingly winning 3 straight games against P5 teams on the road in the NIT putting Bonnie’s in the NIT Championships next Tuesday has been unexpected. I would not expect any Coach with their team still playing to announce moving to a new job. Imaging the effect of that on his team?

I get people being anxious about the length of time but team are still playing. URI didn’t have this situation as their coach was readily available.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Martin met with UMASS on Tuesday and is meeting with UMASS today as well
Schmidt backed out

You can follow the UMASS Coaching process here on the 70 page thread. Interesting to track Twitter on this guy Mark Blaudschun regarding Bamford, Martin, Schmidt and others involved in this process.

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... start=1020
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

In other A-10 coaching news:

If he did take that G.W. job, man, this has been a pretty big infusion of "coaching talent" into the A-10 in one off-season.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We may actually see the UMass hiring saga finally end today

Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Schmidt backed out

You can follow the UMASS Coaching process here on the 70 page thread. Interesting to track Twitter on this guy Mark Blaudschun regarding Bamford, Martin, Schmidt and others involved in this process.

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... start=1020
Pete Thamel reports meeting today is over with Frank Martin. Went well.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago In other A-10 coaching news:

If he did take that G.W. job, man, this has been a pretty big infusion of "coaching talent" into the A-10 in one off-season.
Agreed I like Becker to GW better than those other 3 that were mentioned
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Wow. The A10 is really stepping up with the coaching hires if reports on GW and UMass get done based on latest reports. Nice!

The OBE / NBE has done very well securing and keeping excellent coaches. I hope the A10 can follow suit. Bodes well for the future if the league can!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Has probably been posted elsewhere, but just saw that Calipari has a $52M buyout figure this year that decreases by like 6m a year for the next 8 years. Wow. Even the Calhaters have to say, that...is a job very well done.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Has probably been posted elsewhere, but just saw that Calipari has a $52M buyout figure this year that decreases by like 6m a year for the next 8 years. Wow. Even the Calhaters have to say, that...is a job very well done.
That’s wild. Whew!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Has probably been posted elsewhere, but just saw that Calipari has a $52M buyout figure this year that decreases by like 6m a year for the next 8 years. Wow. Even the Calhaters have to say, that...is a job very well done.
Wow 52 Milly ?? That is insane
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Martin to Umass. Great news for the conference.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Same vibe as Archie, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

To repeat, good for the league.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can’t wait to hate uMass again as much as I’ve hated PC and uConn.

Well done Amherst.

Let’s rumble!!!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Same vibe as Archie, Travis Ford, Anthony Grant
Agree
Also keeps Schmidt in the A10 so Bonnie’s don’t need to search. Unless Schmidt is looking to parley his NIT success into a higher profile job that UMASS.

A10 is not losing any high profile coaches this year so additions like Miller and Martin raise the overall A10 Coaching level - all incremental.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago Can’t wait to hate uMass again as much as I’ve hated PC and uConn.

Well done Amherst.

Let’s rumble!!!
That's a tall order for some of us. The Massholes have always been just a nuisance compared to the Leg-humpers and the mental hospital.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago Can’t wait to hate uMass again as much as I’ve hated PC and uConn.

Well done Amherst.

Let’s rumble!!!
That's a tall order for some of us. The Massholes have always been just a nuisance compared to the Leg-humpers and the mental hospital.
UMass is the cousin you don't really like even though you have a ton in common, but they're pretty harmless and you only see them a couple of times a year, so whatever. UConn is the super successful cousin that constantly tells you how much better they are than you, so screw them. PC is the obnoxious next door neighbor that makes your life hell and acts like they're super successful but you know they're faking it until they make it. In the end your life would be much better if they would just move away
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You can always count on UMass to get its SECOND choice.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Red and Rhody…you are going to make me spit my coffee all over my phone. Hilarious stuff!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago You can always count on UMass to get its SECOND choice.
Or 3rd....Kimani, Schmidt....
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Guess y’all forgetting that real annoying uMass point guard way back in the day….

What was his name again?

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Steve Prohm, who was successful at Murray State and then left for Iowa State, where he was not successful, has been hired (again) by Murray State. This is why it can be so hard for quality assistants to get their shot. Shuffling around the same set of head coaches seems a very comfortable option for ADs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The A10 definitely a league on the rise
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass fans already proclaiming that the Martin hire is a bigger splash than URI with Miller. Only time will tell on that one. Recall that in Martin's 10 years at South Carolina he had much less success than he had in his four seasons at K-State. He only made the NCAA once at SC, though admittedly that was distinguished by his team making the Fina Four.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago UMass fans already proclaiming that the Martin hire is a bigger splash than URI with Miller. Only time will tell on that one. Recall that in Martin's 10 years at South Carolina he had much less success than he had in his four seasons at K-State. He only made the NCAA once at SC, though admittedly that was distinguished by his team making the Fina Four.
One major difference is that most of Miller's career was in the A-10. It is where he has much familiarity and where he had all his success. I think coaching for many years at A-10 member Dayton has more relevance than stints at Indiana, Kansas State, and South Carolina for jobs at either URI or UMass.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely like Arch more than Frank , plus Arch is refreshed after the year out , we got a home run hire they hit a stand up double
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The difference is (assuming Martin wasn’t UMass’ First choice) was URI went out and got their man and UMass got lucky and ended up with Martin who is arguably the best of their 3 choices).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Lanier to Bonnie’s makes a lot of sense if Schmidt leaves
Georgia State opens next season in Georgia State in a new $80 million Convocation Center. The arena will seat 7,500 for basketball – more than twice the capacity of the existing arena. URI will be playing GSU in their new Arena next fall. If Schmidt leaves then maybe Lanier is a consideration but I not sure he wants to move but who knows.
True Ramster, if the Bonnie job does open up, Lanier may decide to stay put.
Also, if he continues his success there, bigger jobs will open up for him.

That was quick…….

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago UMass fans already proclaiming that the Martin hire is a bigger splash than URI with Miller. Only time will tell on that one. Recall that in Martin's 10 years at South Carolina he had much less success than he had in his four seasons at K-State. He only made the NCAA once at SC, though admittedly that was distinguished by his team making the Fina Four.
With that creepy glare, I'm still surprised all the time that he hasn't gone Woody Hayes on a player yet...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We could have played them in that tourney if Hassan hadn't gotten hurt, or the refs didn't bone us.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Georgia State opens next season in Georgia State in a new $80 million Convocation Center. The arena will seat 7,500 for basketball – more than twice the capacity of the existing arena. URI will be playing GSU in their new Arena next fall. If Schmidt leaves then maybe Lanier is a consideration but I not sure he wants to move but who knows.
True Ramster, if the Bonnie job does open up, Lanier may decide to stay put.
Also, if he continues his success there, bigger jobs will open up for him.

That was quick…….

Nice hire by SMU
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lanier and Hurley were assistants at Rutgers together.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."