The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by RIFan »

Agree, I think having a dynamic PG and a reliable threat from 3, would help the twins a lot. Also, a coach who will not tolerate silly fouls, TO’s and T’s. I think an offseason can help the mental issues related to poor FT shooting.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Man if he can mold the twins into a couple of certifiable beasts we are gonna be better sooner than later
He needs to convince them that one on the floor at a time is the winning formula.

Can’t have a big that’s at laterally slow as the Mitchell’s trying to cover other team’s stretch 4’s. They’re elite rim protectors. Best defensive back-to-the-basket 5’s in the A10.

It just hurts them and the team trying to play one out of position to satisfy the “both play at the same time” philosophy.
Eh, the Mitchells aren't exactly slow plodders, though. It's not like trying to play Chris Holm and Jon Clark at the same time, or something like that. More like a pair of Lamonte Ulmers. And, even when they weren't in there together, usually it was one of them with Walker, and URI finished the year 50th in defensive efficiency, per KenPom. I think you -can- play them both at the same time, if the rest of the roster personnel is better, and you have a coach with a stronger hand on tactics.

Really, I'm still of the mindset that it's the lack of dynamic guards on offense that hurt us last year. We couldn't reliably shoot from the outside, or penetrate for easy buckets. It seems like the Mitchells are coming back though, so we're going to get some new data on this for 2022-23 anyway.
Would love to be proven wrong. I thought a lot of the away from the basket fouls we saw on them were because they couldn’t stay in front of faster stretch 4s.

Granted - the packline system Archie runs will probably help with that. Won’t be dependent on Makhi as an on-ball defender, and I’m sure arch will love having those guys anchoring the system inside.

If they can turn it around, we will be good next year. If they can turn it around and Archie gets a stud guard or two in the portal, we will be very good.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I just hope to never see one of the twins walk the ball up to the point again.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He needs to convince them that one on the floor at a time is the winning formula.

Can’t have a big that’s at laterally slow as the Mitchell’s trying to cover other team’s stretch 4’s. They’re elite rim protectors. Best defensive back-to-the-basket 5’s in the A10.

It just hurts them and the team trying to play one out of position to satisfy the “both play at the same time” philosophy.
Eh, the Mitchells aren't exactly slow plodders, though. It's not like trying to play Chris Holm and Jon Clark at the same time, or something like that. More like a pair of Lamonte Ulmers. And, even when they weren't in there together, usually it was one of them with Walker, and URI finished the year 50th in defensive efficiency, per KenPom. I think you -can- play them both at the same time, if the rest of the roster personnel is better, and you have a coach with a stronger hand on tactics.

Really, I'm still of the mindset that it's the lack of dynamic guards on offense that hurt us last year. We couldn't reliably shoot from the outside, or penetrate for easy buckets. It seems like the Mitchells are coming back though, so we're going to get some new data on this for 2022-23 anyway.
Would love to be proven wrong. I thought a lot of the away from the basket fouls we saw on them were because they couldn’t stay in front of faster stretch 4s.

Granted - the packline system Archie runs will probably help with that. Won’t be dependent on Makhi as an on-ball defender, and I’m sure arch will love having those guys anchoring the system inside.

If they can turn it around, we will be good next year. If they can turn it around and Archie gets a stud guard or two in the portal, we will be very good.
They need to be taught to play defense without fouling , early in the year seemed like always in foul trouble , end of the season weren’t in foul trouble as much
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

He was predicted to be one of the biggest impact transfers in the A10 this past season.
Was a double-digit scorer at Washington.
Disappointment at VCU this season only averaged 14.5 minutes and 5 pts.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Man if he can mold the twins into a couple of certifiable beasts we are gonna be better sooner than later

I think, of the twins, Makai has the “potential” to play the stretch 4 if he and coach Miller can improve his skill set and foot speed enough to play the position at a high level. Otherwise I agree, hard to justify playing the two together.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

I think, of the twins, Makai has the “potential” to play the stretch 4 if he and coach Miller can improve his skill set and foot speed enough to play the position at a high level. Otherwise I agree, hard to justify playing the two together.
I’ve watched Virginia’s pack line since Tony Bennett arrived and I cannot remember him playing two bigs at the same time. If the idea is to pack the line at 16 feet, I just don’t see both of the twins playing at the same time. Playing one would probably be the max because the defense calls for a lot of quick movement and two less nimble players on the court at the same time would be a liability.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago He was predicted to be one of the biggest impact transfers in the A10 this past season.
Was a double-digit scorer at Washington.
Disappointment at VCU this season only averaged 14.5 minutes and 6 pts.
Another VCU player in the portal.
He was a good PF prospect out of Philly, still has 3 years eligibility
Many VCU fans disappointed he is leaving.
He was recruited by several A10 schools, plus Penn State.
He averaged 11.5 minutes and 5 pts.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This...is why I say year 1. It's only a couple steps' between now and very good. Huge steps? Sure? Doable? Why not?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just thought I would post Tyler Thomas because he had such a great game against us 30 pts (7-14 3pt)
He is a guard (6'3") from CT. averaged 16.4 pts/ 3.4 assists all NEC.

Not that I think he will be a target for Archie, but may end up in the A10.

636 players now in the portal, 100 added since yesterday.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Just thought I would post Tyler Thomas because he had such a great game against us 30 pts (7-14 3pt)

Hah! A Cox TO moment.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

This...is why I say year 1. It's only a couple steps' between now and very good. Huge steps? Sure? Doable? Why not?
We are definitely dancing next year

No doubt about it

NONE
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Just thought I would post Tyler Thomas because he had such a great game against us 30 pts (7-14 3pt)

Hah! A Cox TO moment.

I can’t wait till Cox tries to call a timeout after a Maryland basket with 12:11 left in the second half, seconds until the media timeout, and Willard sends him to the locker room for the rest of the game

…and I wish I was kidding, but we all know that’s actually a possibility.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

636 players now in the portal, 100 added since yesterday.
The. Koch tweet about the TO needs to be somehow immortalized. It made me laugh. And I realized that, if I see it every year forever, it will make me laugh again then, too. Not good to hang onto bad memories, unless they get over the top ridiculous like that and you can laugh at them. This has to be one of those.

ETA after too much thought...maybe there should be a separate thread, create a poll, to immortalize the tweet, message board entry, whatever...that is, the moment that everyone can say, yep...says it all, right there, that's what it was like...the Cox Timeout™️
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This tweet is isn’t even the best one regarding the timeouts.

Koch had multiple tweets where he was Completely puzzled when Cox would call a TO seconds before a media timeout.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago This tweet is isn’t even the best one regarding the timeouts.

Koch had multiple tweets where he was Completely puzzled when Cox would call a TO seconds before a media timeout.
I really think it might deserve it's own thread...could be hilarious just combing this site's game threads. People seemed to have colorful thoughts around those.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago This tweet is isn’t even the best one regarding the timeouts.

I really think it might deserve it's own thread...could be hilarious just combing this site's game threads. People seemed to have colorful thoughts around those.
A candidate:
TO3.JPG
TO3.JPG (10.1 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe Kenya wants his point guard kid to play for Archie

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

We are definitely dancing next year

No doubt about it

NONE
Our garbage team last year was able to easily beat the best team in the league

Just need to sprinkle in some Archie! A lil Archie seasoning on our twin towers, a little Archie seasoning on the transfer portal and we'll be serving a tasty dish at next year's dance 😎
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Maybe Kenya wants his point guard kid to play for Archie

38% from the field, 34% from 3, under 10 points per game average in CUSA this season.

Hard pass.

Underwhelming numbers in a worse conference than the A10.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Maybe Kenya wants his point guard kid to play for Archie

No offense to Jaylin or his dad, but hopefully Archie can do better.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Interesting could be the start of him headed to URI. Big recruit for archie at IU. I would think he contacts him at the least.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

Interesting could be the start of him headed to URI. Big recruit for archie at IU. I would think he contacts him at the least.
There's the PG we need.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Yes please.

5*
#27 nationally
#6 PG
#1 in Indiana
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

There's the PG we need.
BTW, he's a left handed point guard. You know how we love those at URI.
7 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

This is the kind of Transfer Portal updates I need. Put that in my pipe so I can smoke it. Day dreaming about all the possible high level transfers we will now be rumored with.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There's the PG we need.
BTW, he's a left handed point guard. You know how we love those at URI.
I actually think Iggy mentioned him earlier prior to this announcement, in the Recruiting Thread.

He only averaged about 9-10 minutes the last 2 seasons.

At one time I even think he was a top 10 recruit.

Not going to hold my breathe on this one.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago This is the kind of Transfer Portal updates I need. Put that in my pipe so I can smoke it. Day dreaming about all the possible high level transfers we will now be rumored with.
Want to get excited? Here ya go.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago This is the kind of Transfer Portal updates I need. Put that in my pipe so I can smoke it. Day dreaming about all the possible high level transfers we will now be rumored with.
How many minutes did he play per game under Arch?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As stated earlier, about 9-10 minutes average last 2 seasons
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Reading IU Twitter they say that he was prone on defense most of the time
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Got 10min a game in 26 games under Miller...dropped to 8 min a game and only 13 games last year under Woodson

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ian-lander
0 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's still only 19 years old.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Reading IU Twitter they say that he was prone on defense most of the time
They also trashed Durham on his way out, as well as Archie.

Can’t really judge a player who’s leaving on their own by their fans.
3 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Reading IU Twitter they say that he was prone on defense most of the time

Especially IU fans.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget, Stan Robinson came here from Indiana, It's not unheard of.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Come on Archie!!!! We need a good PG.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Lander’s stats are underwhelming considering the hype around him. Still, he wasn’t five-star for nothing. I hope Arch is in touch.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Especially IU fans.
Yeah, I'll never care what Indiana fans say. They're like the blowhard contingent of PC fans on steroids
1 x
---
---
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Lander’s stats are underwhelming considering the hype around him. Still, he wasn’t five-star for nothing. I hope Arch is in touch.
Honestly I don’t even care about someone’s previous stats if they were a 5 star recruit!! I’ll take him!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Lander’s stats are underwhelming considering the hype around him. Still, he wasn’t five-star for nothing. I hope Arch is in touch.
Indiana convinced him to reclassify and come in a year early. Like I said, even though he's been at IU for 2 years, he's still only 19 years old. He still has 3 years of eligibility left too.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He would probably rip through the A10 with his skillset.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Indiana convinced him to reclassify and come in a year early. Like I said, even though he's been at IU for 2 years, he's still only 19 years old. He still has 3 years of eligibility left too.
Who convinced him to? It hasn’t worked out, wonder if there are any hard feelings. I guess we’ll find out.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Worked for Robinson.
2 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So he declassified and Miller got him to go to IU and he only played 10 minutes a game? Hmmmm.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago So he declassified and Miller got him to go to IU and he only played 10 minutes a game? Hmmmm.
I'd guess his beef is with Woodson and not Archie.

Archie played him 10 a game and in 26 games as a declassed freshman. That's good time behind a senior Durham

Woodson only played him 8 min a game and only got him in 13 games
0 x
---
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Lander entered the portal when Archie was fired but returned when Woodson was hired.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Who convinced him to? It hasn’t worked out, wonder if there are any hard feelings. I guess we’ll find out.
Good question.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….I am holding any judgement, comment on any of these potential players in the portal, those with “stars” or prior history with Archie…….the roster will play itself out……Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I am holding any judgement, comment on any of these potential players in the portal, those with “stars” or prior history with Archie…….the roster will play itself out……Go Rhody
I hear ya, 105 but intriguing nonetheless. Speculating enhances the fun of the ride.

Anyway, 3 years of eligibility left and under a coach like coach Miller to help him reach his potential? Intriguing possibility. Good info in this thread to chew on! I’ll enjoy the buffet while it lasts!
0 x