2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

He could bring Tre Mitchell back.
And Tony. Imagine Grasso and Bergeron together.
Is there enough hair gel in Amherst?
Not If Long Island U comes to Amherst led by Derek Kellogg
:D
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I still have a hard time believing Schmidt would leave the Bonnies for A10 rival UMass.
But you never know, crazier things have happened, I guess.

If he does, will the Bonnies promote longtime assistant and associate HC Steve Curran.
Or maybe, hire Rob Lanier from Georgia State.
He has done well there and just went to the NCAAT.
He is from NY, played for the Bonnies and even was an assistant there.
He also happens to be the cousin of former Bonnie and NBA great Bob Lanier.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I still have a hard time believing Schmidt would leave the Bonnies for A10 rival UMass.

If he does, will the Bonnies promote longtime assistant and associate HC Steve Curran.
I agree. Schmidt is really killing it in the NIT right now. 3 straight road wins against 3 P5 Teams and going to Madison Square Garden. He may be raising his stock to where he could land a P5 Coaching job?
But it is interesting that UMASS has not landed someone yet so could it be Schmidt?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Wow! I’m starting to feel bad for UMess. It looks like The Three Stooges are running their search…Paging Doctor Howard! Doctor Fine! Doctor Howard! Woooo! Woooo! Woooo! (In my best Curly voice)

Anyway, the A10 is better when it has good teams, excellent coaches and committed programs so, I hope they get their act together. Plus, I enjoy beating their asses more when they are good! Lol!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I still have a hard time believing Schmidt would leave the Bonnies for A10 rival UMass.

Lanier to Bonnie’s makes a lot of sense if Schmidt leaves
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Georgia State opens next season in Georgia State in a new $80 million Convocation Center. The arena will seat 7,500 for basketball – more than twice the capacity of the existing arena. URI will be playing GSU in their new Arena next fall. If Schmidt leaves then maybe Lanier is a consideration but I not sure he wants to move but who knows.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Some UMass rumors. Take them with a grain of salt.

From some Chicago based Depaul writer:

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Georgia State opens next season in Georgia State in a new $80 million Convocation Center. The arena will seat 7,500 for basketball – more than twice the capacity of the existing arena. URI will be playing GSU in their new Arena next fall. If Schmidt leaves then maybe Lanier is a consideration but I not sure he wants to move but who knows.
True Ramster, if the Bonnie job does open up, Lanier may decide to stay put.
Also, if he continues his success there, bigger jobs will open up for him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If true, the Bonnies will be returning to the cellar for quite some time.

And if the Bonnies starters all to to UMass, that'll be a top 4 team next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Just checked the Bonnie’s board. They still don’t believe this rumor at all for the most part. Can’t even imagine the craziness that would be ensuing on KB in a similar scenario
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If Schmidt did go to Umass all the Bonnies starters could follow him and use their last year of eligibility. That would be something never seen before.

I have a hard time understanding why he would make that move but I do not know how much he loves Mass nor what $$ could potentially entice him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If Schmidt did go to Umass all the Bonnies starters could follow him and use their last year of eligibility. That would be something never seen before.

I have a hard time understanding why he would make that move but I do not know how much he loves Mass nor what $$ could potentially entice him.
BAR it is possible, but I am skeptical about him taking the UMass job or his starters transferring to UMass.

Especially if his longtime friend and assistant/associate HC Curran takes over the program.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I still don't get the home-state angle. Amherst and Attleborough might as well be in different time zones, not just different states.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago I still don't get the home-state angle. Amherst and Attleborough might as well be in different time zones, not just different states.
It's an hour and 45 minutes vs. 7 hours. That's pretty significant. The better question is how many serious ties does he still have to the area vs. how many he'd be leaving
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago I still don't get the home-state angle. Amherst and Attleborough might as well be in different time zones, not just different states.
It's an hour and 45 minutes vs. 7 hours. That's pretty significant. The better question is how many serious ties does he still have to the area vs. how many he'd be leaving
Seriously Red...you sound like a Rhode Islander. What...if it's beyond 30 minutes, that's too long of a drive?

Olean is the end of the earth...every road trip is an ordeal. Amherst...you're a Mass Pike ride away from most things in a few hours. (Northampton is around the corner.)

There is nothing in Olean and nothing near Olean. And the weather sucks.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Seriously Red...you sound like a Rhode Islander. What...if it's beyond 30 minutes, that's too long of a drive?

Olean is the end of the earth...every road trip is an ordeal. Amherst...you're a Mass Pike ride away from most things in a few hours. (Northampton is around the corner.)

Attleborough is more Rhode Island than Massachusetts. It's a half-hour from Amherst just to get to the Mass Pike. And the weather in Amherst isn't exactly Florida, either.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Comparing driving distances between two places makes no sense after the invention of commercial air travel.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Some UMass rumors. Take them with a grain of salt.

From some Chicago based Depaul writer:

Yeah too bad for UMass Mark Schmidt is no Archie Miller
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Wow! I’m starting to feel bad for UMess. It looks like The Three Stooges are running their search…Paging Doctor Howard! Doctor Fine! Doctor Howard! Woooo! Woooo! Woooo! (In my best Curly voice)

Anyway, the A10 is better when it has good teams, excellent coaches and committed programs so, I hope they get their act together. Plus, I enjoy beating their asses more when they are good! Lol!
As much as I hate to say it. Would help the league a lot if UMass was good again.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Has to be the money , how much does Schmidt make at Bonaventure??
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He makes just under a million I believe. UMass is said to be willing to pay 1.5. Personally I think Schmidt would give UMass the steady hand it needs.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Schmidt will be great at UMASS. Bamford is opening up his wallet. He has already said UMASS is upping the pay range for this hire. Probably the URI $9.5 million for Miller served to help Bamford's cause. "If URI can do it why can't we?"

Schmidt is getting more feathers in his cap with beating 3 P5 teams on the road in the NIT. Bamford better pull the trigger but my guess is this deal has been done for a while.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Can Bonaventure just not afford to pay, though? Unless Schmidt has had some falling out up there that I'm unaware of, I think the best option for him would be to just use the UMass offer - if it exists - to get his current salary a big boost. It seems like he's got a decent thing going in Olean, and the jump to UMass still strikes me as lateral-at-best. This whole thing kind of reminds me of when Baron got a couple years tacked on and more money because Virginia Tech showed some interest in him.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Can Bonaventure just not afford to pay, though? Unless Schmidt has had some falling out up there that I'm unaware of, I think the best option for him would be to just use the UMass offer - if it exists - to get his current salary a big boost. It seems like he's got a decent thing going in Olean, and the jump to UMass still strikes me as lateral-at-best. This whole thing kind of reminds me of when Baron got a couple years tacked on and more money because Virginia Tech showed some interest in him.
Pretty sure they can't. Their entire athletic budget is only $14m (according to Google), for comparison ours is $26.7m (again, according to google)

They're also one of the smallest schools in D1 with only 1,787 total undergrad enrollment and 2,381 total enrollment
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A reputable source very well connected to UMass is now chiming in on the Schmidt rumors. Seems to confirm there may be interest but nothing is fully decided nor final yet.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Bonaventure is a very small school with an undergrad enrollment presently at 1,850. It is located in a very small population area some 70 miles from Buffalo with no direct major highway connection. Its metro area has only some 76k residents with the population of its biggest town Olean at just 13,437. The area, along with the rest of the Western NY southern tier has for decades been bleeding people who are leaving for better employment elsewhere. The local region is not particularly wealthy. The school's endowment is tiny. They drew 59,616 to 15 games this past season for an average of 3,974. Their gate revenues cannot be that large as their ticket prices and tickets sold were much lower than URI.

I highly doubt that SBU would be able to offer a salary of $1.8M. Even if they were able to somehow miraculously come up with that type of money for Schmidt, I don't think they could offer comparable money for other program needs (staff salary, recruiting budget, more charters, practice facility).

The Bonnies do get great local support for a school given their situation. It is amazing what they have been able to do given their circumstances.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Attleborough is more Rhode Island than Massachusetts. It's a half-hour from Amherst just to get to the Mass Pike. And the weather in Amherst isn't exactly Florida, either.
Amherst weather isn't Florida, correct...but it's not western NY state either.

Again, I'm going to assume you've never been to Olean. Amherst and it's location is apples to oranges compared to Olean.

And again, you sound like a Rhode Islander complaining about Amherst's access to the Mass Pike. An hour or two car ride is not that big of a deal. And I don't think he'll be going to Attleboro every week. But he could easily go once a month without hesitation. (That's not the case in Olean.)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am starting to actually wonder if the entire David Cox staff might have new jobs BEFORE UMass hires a new head coach.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I am starting to actually wonder if the entire David Cox staff might have new jobs BEFORE UMass hires a new head coach.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Following the UMass Twitter verse, some posters are eager for John Carroll as an assistant.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Schmidt will be great at UMASS. Bamford is opening up his wallet. He has already said UMASS is upping the pay range for this hire. Probably the URI $9.5 million for Miller served to help Bamford's cause. "If URI can do it why can't we?"

Schmidt is getting more feathers in his cap with beating 3 P5 teams on the road in the NIT. Bamford better pull the trigger but my guess is this deal has been done for a while.
I think so too Ramster
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This UMass coaching search has so many different twists and turns and is taking a very long time. It is rather entertaining to watch from afar. Am however glad I have no connection to it.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

“Emerged as the target” has become the euphemism of choice for “this is going to happen” for CBB reporters reporting on coaching candidacies. Would think it’s very very likely at this point Martin is the next coach at UMass. That’ll be fun.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It gets better. Schmidt apparently doesn't want it.

Maybe they should try Pat Kelsey again.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It’ll be good for the league.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah. So it’s done. Martin to UMass unofficially official.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago It gets better. Schmidt apparently doesn't want it.

My guess, strictly a guess, is that UMASS was putting the squeeze on him so that they could make an announcement. Schmidt says "No. No decision from me and no announcement while my current St. Bonaventure team is still playing."

UMASS says "We can't wait around for you, we're beginning to look more incompetent than we already are (OK, that's me editorializing there.)...we'll have to move on to somebody else."

And that is why Schmidt is no longer the guy...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

5 out of 10 years at South Carolina 11th place or lower. 20 games under. 500 in Southeast Conference. Bad hire.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago It gets better. Schmidt apparently doesn't want it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Never change UMass. Top to bottom dumpster fire.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Going to be tough for Frank Martin to be the guy to replace Mark Schmidt, who replaced Kimani Young.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

So UMass AGAIN fails to get its first choice for the second time in five years. Pat Kelsey was on campus for his press conference announcement in 2017 and backed out minutes before. It appears the school wanted Schmidt in 2022 but he turned them down. Got to think Frank Martin was not the first choice of UMass as he could have been hired much earlier given he was fired 03/14/22.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LOL....

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago “Emerged as the target” has become the euphemism of choice for “this is going to happen” for CBB reporters reporting on coaching candidacies. Would think it’s very very likely at this point Martin is the next coach at UMass. That’ll be fun.
It’s exactly like Woj being told by ESPN execs to stop tweeting out draft picks before they get announced on TV, so instead he tweets something like “The Magic have zeroed in on taking _____ with the 9th pick.”
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This tweet seems to indicate that UMass didn't make the offer enticing enough to Schmidt. There were two posts by different people on the SBU forum that stated Schmidt was indeed offered the job today but the Bonnies made an attractive counter and he decided to stay. Unfortunately these posts no longer exist as the SBU forum moderator has completely scrubbed the site clean of the two separate threads created in the last 24 hours that discussed all the back and forth UMass search events of today. Seems the moderator thinks that removing the threads somehow makes it appear that this never happened. I guess happiness is oblivious.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think Frank Martin is a solid choice @ UMass
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately these posts no longer exist as the SBU forum moderator has completely scrubbed the site of the two separate threads created in the last 24 hours that discussed all the back and forth UMass search events of today. Seems the moderator thinks that removing the threads somehow makes it appear that this never happened.
Extremely bizarre
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago This tweet seems to indicate that UMass didn't make the offer enticing enough to Schmidt. There were two posts by different people on the SBU forum that stated Schmidt was indeed offered the job today but the Bonnies made an attractive counter and he decided to stay. Unfortunately these posts no longer exist as the SBU forum moderator has completely scrubbed the site of the two separate threads created in the last 24 hours that discussed all the back and forth UMass search events of today. Seems the moderator thinks that removing the threads somehow makes it appear that this never happened. I guess happiness is oblivious.

Again, thank God for Thorr!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Buffalo News on Schmidt spurning UMass

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/ ... 662fb.html
0 x