Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by ace »

Scouts have had some positive things to say about Rese. He probably maxes out as a two-way player at best, but he is 23 and can help his family financially. It has been so much fun to watch him mature and succeed over the past two seasons. He really put things together, on and off the court. He plays so hard and is easy to root for.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Scouts have had some positive things to say about Rese. He probably maxes out as a two-way player at best, but he is 23 and can help his family financially. It has been so much fun to watch him mature and succeed over the past two seasons. He really put things together, on and off the court. He plays so hard and is easy to root for.
Totally agree, he was a lot of fun to watch this season!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ll be surprised if he makes an NBA roster just because of his inconsistency at shooting the 3 but won’t shock me if he does make it
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Scouts have had some positive things to say about Rese. He probably maxes out as a two-way player at best, but he is 23 and can help his family financially. It has been so much fun to watch him mature and succeed over the past two seasons. He really put things together, on and off the court. He plays so hard and is easy to root for.
The man he became off the court is even more impressive. He needed the structure Hurley provides. Went from smoking hookah and breaking quarantine rules with Fatts on IG, to maturing into an upstanding young man.

Awesome to see. Happy his play reflected that as well.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

As a Lebanese American worker everyone I know smokes the argileh. We don’t use the word hookah
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago As a Lebanese American worker everyone I know smokes the argileh. We don’t use the word hookah
Hah! My friends that are Pakistani got me into hookah, so that's what I call it!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JD played 10 minutes so far already still 8 minutes left 2Q
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hellenga's shot and Abu and Dawan discussing it.

5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What's a PIT?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What's a PIT?
Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. Been around a while. Invite only to seniors to play and showcase their game for NBA and European teams.
0 x
Go Rhody
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Once again congratulations to all the haters/ignorgamuses who chased Fatts off ! We can only pray that Archie can recruit players of this calibre . GO FATTS !!!!!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Once again congratulations to all the haters/ignorgamuses who chased Fatts off ! We can only pray that Archie can recruit players of this calibre . GO FATTS !!!!!
While I share your Fatts fandom, I’m guessing people on here didn’t “chase Fatts off.” Fans weren’t the reason for him leaving in my opinion.

He stayed after Hurley left and completed his four years here, which under normal circumstances that would’ve been the end for his career.

He gave this program everything, and just wanted a chance at the NCAA tourney at a bigger, more established program.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. Been around a while. Invite only to seniors to play and showcase their game for NBA and European teams.
Good for Fatts but those projected to get drafted do not play in this.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Oh absolutely, I know that.

Still will be nice to get in front of NBA, G League, and Euro scouts.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he eventually gets a couple 10 day contracts and a taste of the NBA.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
I remember Jimmy hit 16 threes in one of these PIT games
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Once again congratulations to all the haters/ignorgamuses who chased Fatts off ! We can only pray that Archie can recruit players of this calibre . GO FATTS !!!!!
Falcon,
I recalled Fatts when he left wanting to have a shot to be in the NCAA Tournament.
Sounds like you are saying he would have preferred to have stayed here on this years team?
No chance he would have led this years Rhody team to the NCAA, never mind deep into the NCAA.

Here’s what he told the Philly Inquirer and others:

"What I wanted was to come in and have a chance to compete for a Final Four, Elite Eight, national championship type of team," Russell says.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... utType=amp

Reading this end of season story sounds like Russell loved his decision to go to Maryland. Nice comments about David Cox joining Maryland as well.

https://pressboxonline.com/2022/04/04/f ... xperience/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good luck in Portsmouth Fatts !!
1 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

After all he did for URI over his 4 years here and his classic Tre Young NCAA move plus his 2 orchestrated wins against pc , and Many other exciting " This is my house " moments , supposedly some of his malcontent teammates had issues with him , probably jealousy . You guess who ? Add to this the fact that he had an awful bench coach and I can understand why he decided to leave for a potentially better opportunity and was very HAPPY for him . Unfortunately Maryland imploded ! However he gave URI his All despite an injury plagued 4th year and was loyal to a fault to us while 3 other notables were not , Martin , Toppin , Long . Despite all of that he received VERY little LOVE from this forum esp. his last year here . I will always wish him all the BEST !!!!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago After all he did for URI over his 4 years here and his classic Tre Young NCAA move plus his 2 orchestrated wins against pc , and Many other exciting " This is my house " moments , supposedly some of his malcontent teammates had issues with him , probably jealousy . You guess who ? Add to this the fact that he had an awful bench coach and I can understand why he decided to leave for a potentially better opportunity and was very HAPPY for him . Unfortunately Maryland imploded ! However he gave URI his All despite an injury plagued 4th year and was loyal to a fault to us while 3 other notables were not , Martin , Toppin , Long . Despite all of that he received VERY little LOVE from this forum esp. his last year here . I will always wish him all the BEST !!!!
Don't blame fans on this board. Blame Cox. He is the one who took Dowtin off the point in favor of Fatts. Worst coaching decision I've seen. It hurt Dowtin, Fatts and Cox.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago After all he did for URI over his 4 years here and his classic Tre Young NCAA move plus his 2 orchestrated wins against pc , and Many other exciting " This is my house " moments , supposedly some of his malcontent teammates had issues with him , probably jealousy . You guess who ? Add to this the fact that he had an awful bench coach and I can understand why he decided to leave for a potentially better opportunity and was very HAPPY for him . Unfortunately Maryland imploded ! However he gave URI his All despite an injury plagued 4th year and was loyal to a fault to us while 3 other notables were not , Martin , Toppin , Long . Despite all of that he received VERY little LOVE from this forum esp. his last year here . I will always wish him all the BEST !!!!
Oh please. One of the biggest flaws in Cox' coaching was letting Fatts do whatever the hell he wanted to the detriment of the entire team. Fatts isn't some kind of martyr who got screwed over here
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I believe Jimmy Baron still holds the all time tournament record for threes in a game with 9 and also the tournament record for threes.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

I believe Jimmy Baron still holds the all time tournament record for threes in a game with 9 and also the tournament record for threes.
Yep! 9 for a game and 16 for the tournament are records. I had thought it was 16 in a game, as I said earlier in the thread. Was wrong, but funny how ya misremember things after 10+ years.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Boy, Jimmy could stroke it. Off the top of my head, the best 3 college deep jump shooters I’ve seen - in no particular order - Jimmy, Curry, Hassett.

Those 3 jump out at me. Not just as shooters, but deep (20 feet plus) jump shooters. I’m sure there are others I just can’t recall at the moment…maybe Danny Ainge? I saw him play in the NCAA’s in Providence in person and he was impressive. Coming down 1 on 3 on the break, pulling up from twenty five feet and burying it. Ainge was impressive.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Joey Hassett? nk…

Wondering why they said fatts went from Big 12 to big 10…
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Boy, Jimmy could stroke it. Off the top of my head, the best 3 college deep jump shooters I’ve seen - in no particular order - Jimmy, Curry, Hassett.

Those 3 jump out at me. Not just as shooters, but deep (20 feet plus) jump shooters. I’m sure there are others I just can’t recall at the moment…maybe Danny Ainge? I saw him play in the NCAA’s in Providence in person and he was impressive. Coming down 1 on 3 on the break, pulling up from twenty five feet and burying it. Ainge was impressive.
But Hassett was a wimp. He wouldn't go anywhere near the basket...Soft. Can I put Larry Bird on that list?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would love for us to find that next Jimmy Baron type shooter

I’d put JJ Reddick on that list also
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Boy, Jimmy could stroke it. Off the top of my head, the best 3 college deep jump shooters I’ve seen - in no particular order - Jimmy, Curry, Hassett.

But Hassett was a wimp. He wouldn't go anywhere near the basket...Soft. Can I put Larry Bird on that list?
Sorrentine had no conscience at Vermont. If he was physically inside the gym he was in range.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Yep! 9 for a game and 16 for the tournament are records. I had thought it was 16 in a game, as I said earlier in the thread. Was wrong, but funny how ya misremember things after 10+ years.

you had me checking the record book , and was surprised to discover something- so—for a semi valuable prize, who was the 3 pt shooter who played for us and had more career threes than Seth curry?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I believe Jimmy Baron still holds the all time tournament record for threes in a game with 9 and also the tournament record for threes.

you had me checking the record book , and was surprised to discover something- so—for a semi valuable prize, who was the 3 pt shooter who played for us and had more career threes than Seth curry?
Mobley?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Mobley?
Fox?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I believe Jimmy Baron still holds the all time tournament record for threes in a game with 9 and also the tournament record for threes.

Steph curry
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

No on Mobley and Fox. Maybe I’ll upgrade the prize?
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Akeem Richmond
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Brian wrote: 2 years agoAkeem Richmond
That was my guess

But would that count since he only played here two years?

If Akeem Richmond ain't it its EC Matthews
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The URI record is Jimmy Baron. So I surmise it's him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jimmy is the only URI player who had more than Seth
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago Would love for us to find that next Jimmy Baron type shooter

Hey Reef, Reddick is a good one. I forgot about him. Maybe Ray Allen too?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Sorrentine had no conscience at Vermont. If he was physically inside the gym he was in range.
Another good one. I saw him play once. It was the tourney game against Syracuse (?).

Who was the player at Holy Cross - played in the late 70’s or maybe early 80’s? Ron Perry? I can’t remember what years he played. He was another excellent long range sniper.

Bird, Reggie Miller, too. Can’t believe I forgot them though I really didn’t see either one play much while they were in college other than in the NCAA Tourney.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Another good one. I saw him play once. It was the tourney game against Syracuse (?).

Who was the player at Holy Cross - played in the late 70’s or maybe early 80’s? Ron Perry? I can’t remember what years he played. He was another excellent long range sniper.

Bird, Reggie Miller, too. Can’t believe I forgot them though I really didn’t see either one play much while they were in college other than in the NCAA Tourney.
Sorry for veering off thread.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Brian wins the not so valuable prize. Free admission to the first open practice! Congratulations.

Akeem had a career of 416 to curry’s 414. Curry had a shooting percentage of 41% and Akeem with a not so bad 38%

I would say this is true trivia
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Would love for us to find that next Jimmy Baron type shooter

If it’s just the college game I wouldn’t put Ray on the list he had a really good mid range game @ UConn could score at all 3 levels
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago

If it’s just the college game I wouldn’t put Ray on the list he had a really good mid range game @ UConn could score at all 3 levels
Steph Curry, JJ Reddick, Jimmy Baron, Chris Lofton (Tennessee) and Fletcher McGee are the best college shooters I can remember.

There have been a lot of great ones, but those guys stand out because they hit them from everywhere on the court

Like some people would say Doug McDermott was better than Jimmy because of his percentages, but McDermott wasn't 6'3, unathletic and shooting like every shot from the logo.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jimmer Fredette. JJ Redick. Chris Jackson. Jimmy Baron.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Jimmer Fredette. JJ Redick. Chris Jackson. Jimmy Baron.
I def forgot Jimmer
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Brian wins the not so valuable prize. Free admission to the first open practice! Congratulations.

Akeem had a career of 416 to curry’s 414. Curry had a shooting percentage of 41% and Akeem with a not so bad 38%

I would say this is true trivia
You said Seth Curry.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The only guy I ever saw who had more range than Jimmy Baron was Dennis Scott of Georgia Tech. He had the range of an ICBM.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Smart move by Jacob to go through the Draft process and get some feedback. No downside to testing the waters really.
1 x