Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by steviep123 »

My thought is that Miller should and I’m sure will explain to each player his expectations and will welcome back all who accept the expectation and roles. Those that don’t want to buy into the new expectations, the program will help them find a new home via the portal.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pretty good quote in Koch's article here about how Miller will approach the transfer situations:

"The one thing I’m not going to do when I come in here is be disappointed or be confused or take an approach of, ‘They don’t like me,’ ” Miller said. “That’s way too hard right now. We have to get to the nuts and the bolts conversations of each player, their families and coaches.

“We have to find out exactly what’s making them tick and what they want. They have to see what my vision is, my style, my philosophy. And you have to find out if those two things mesh."
7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Pretty good quote in Koch's article here about how Miller will approach the transfer situations:

"The one thing I’m not going to do when I come in here is be disappointed or be confused or take an approach of, ‘They don’t like me,’ ” Miller said. “That’s way too hard right now. We have to get to the nuts and the bolts conversations of each player, their families and coaches.

“We have to find out exactly what’s making them tick and what they want. They have to see what my vision is, my style, my philosophy. And you have to find out if those two things mesh."

Here are my thoughts reading this quote:

It’s like when you’ve been dating someone for a while and you like them and all but it becomes a complete disappointment. Then you meet someone new and you say: “where have you been all my life?”
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago I think that players CAN have their schollies not renewed if a new coach is hired.

I’m with Ace, in that anyone who WANTS to stay (whether they portaled or not) will hopefully not be tossed away.

Knowing Thorr, I don’t imagine anything like that happening.

If AM wants a kid’s ride to give to someone else, I would think we (URI) would help them find a suitable place. And if none exists, that we will pick up the tab for at least the next year.
Nice thought but naive. Hurley told players they weren't a good fit and should leave. No one stays hearing that. Archie wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't do the same.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think the best coaches make players better and puts each player in the best position - based on their individual strengths - to succeed, as a general rule (it doesn’t mean I don’t think players are not capable of improving on their own ).

It’s my opinion that coach Miller is that type of coach. The first players I think of that can benefit and reach their ceiling if they commit to coach Miller’s coaching and mindset are: the Mitchell twins, Bassy, Leggett, Carey. I think of these five first because they have multiple years left so they have more time to grow under coach Miller to reach their ceilings.

I also think Malik and Walker definitely could benefit under coach Miller but they have just one year of eligibility left. I’m not sure how much they can improve over the next 8 months but if they want to be here then I’m good with them staying.

Betrand is a question mark for me because I have no idea how he will bounce back from the injury. Will he have the quickness to play in coach Miller’s system? It’s a big question mark for me.

Berry, Samb and Ayo are also question marks for me because I just haven’t seen them play enough.

That all said, I trust coach Miller will counsel each player and do what is best for them then add pieces to the players that stay to build a better team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie is going to do things his way, and that's the way it should be.

I trust it will all work out!

All I've heard so far, is he gets it big time, and has been as transparent as I've ever seen for a URI head coach, and that includes Dan.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I have no hard feelings toward any of the guys that entered the portal and if Coach Miller wants them back, i'm fine with welcoming them back. I agree with Ace that none of them should be "forced" out. However, should they want to stay, I trust Coach Miller will set the expectations (for example "Ish you will be the 2nd guard off the bench and no longer a starter) and if they want to stay under those conditions, fine. If not...fine. I think with the two scholarships and the guys that won't want to stay with new expectations, Archie will have enough openings (4-7) to go out and get his own guys.

All that said, i wouldn't be in the least bit bothered if we had to start from scratch. There is nobody on this team that i would miss the way I missed Tyrese or Toppin or would have missed Fatts if he left with Hurley. Dayton started this your from pretty close to nothing. How did it work out for them?

I will continue to strongly support the team, but the days of Garrick, Wheeler, Baron, EC, Terrell, Dowtin and Langevine may be long gone. It will be hard to get attached to guys that will be here only as freshmen and sophomores or juniors and seniors.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In Arch we trust he will spell it out to the players and in the end it will work out
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Listen to Malik...

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Listen to Malik...

But the person who Malik responded to didn’t bash or insult kids entering the portal.

The guy just stated a fact, and didn’t give an opinion one way or another.
3 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

But the person who Malik responded to didn’t bash or insult kids entering the portal.

The guy just stated a fact, and didn’t give an opinion one way or another.
Cool, still listen to Malik.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Worry about your own team, Bryan. At least he’s not talking about his own players because they didn’t come close to making the tournament. There are a lot of observations that could be made about basketball. He chose to make that one and then fell back with his whole, I’m not saying it’s good or bad, I’m just making an observation. That’s weak.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The grass definitely isn’t always greener on the other side of the portal too.

Case in point, Tre Mitchell.

Dominated at UMass, went big time at Texas, barely played, had his father bash Beard on twitter, then left the program.

Do what ya gotta do, I fully expected our team to be in portal and test their options.

I would do the exact same thing if I was them. No idea why people get so pissed at the players.

Just can’t automatically expect to be in a better situation (playing time, coach, conference, fans, facilities, etc) than you’re in right now.
4 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

Worry about your own team, Bryan. At least he’s not talking about his own players because they didn’t come close to making the tournament. There are a lot of observations that could be made about basketball. He chose to make that one and then fell back with his whole, I’m not saying it’s good or bad, I’m just making an observation. That’s weak.
Yeah I’ve never heard of this dude but was shocked when I clicked on his profile and saw he’s a D1 associate head coach. His tweet deserves to be ratio’d into the sun.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe I'm missing something....what Weber says is completely true...and quite observation-worthy, in a competition-shaping kind of way.
My view:? I would love it if Rhody got a player that played 32 mins/game and made the NCAAT.
What was the problem with Weber? Did he say the quite part out loud?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago The grass definitely isn’t always greener on the other side of the portal too.

Case in point, Tre Mitchell.

Dominated at UMass, went big time at Texas, barely played, had his father bash Beard on twitter, then left the program.

Do what ya gotta do, I fully expected our team to be in portal and test their options.

I would do the exact same thing if I was them. No idea why people get so pissed at the players.

Just can’t automatically expect to be in a better situation (playing time, coach, conference, fans, facilities, etc) than you’re in right now.
The biggest advertisement for the downside of the portal is Qudus Wahab. Leads Georgetown to the tourney playing for one of the greatest college Centers in the history of the game and then he leaves to Maryland...coach gets fired, team underperforms and he doesn't even play 20 minutes a game. Complete head scratcher.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe I'm missing something....what Weber says is completely true...and quite observation-worthy, in a competition-shaping kind of way.
My view:? I would love it if Rhody got a player that played 32 mins/game and made the NCAAT.
I think it's the way he chose his words after his second comma plus ending the tweet with the shrugging emoji. It just feels like he's passive aggressively blaming the players. If he's trying to be neutral, there are far better ways to phrase it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today's NCAA players are vagabond paid mercenaries. They are fair game for any criticism. The old collegiate order of amateurism is dead.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

To those who support the old way of thinking, I think the best counter-argument was to that of the coach… People used to say “If the coach can just leave and start fresh, why can’t the players?” The coach never left penalty-free, all coaches have buyouts, some large, some small. They are paid in some capacity, whether their own or the school pays in other ways, but are certainly a factor. Does anyone believe Pitino would still be at Iona if he didn’t have such a large buyout?

That said, I largely support the current rule. Yes, there are head-scratchers where a player is a key player on a good team looking to leave, but there are also players who were given bad advice or pitched wrong or don’t develop who are at a level where they will never play. I support those kids recalibrating to the correct level, and not having to sit for it. So if the by-product is kids move up, so be it. At least everyone gets that one “free” shot at a fresh start. Use it and want to move again and sit, I think it’s a fair punishment.

Now the NLI - that’s something I’m not as sure about, but the major issues seem to be more football-related than basketball at the moment.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe I'm missing something....what Weber says is completely true...and quite observation-worthy, in a competition-shaping kind of way.
I think it's the way he chose his words after his second comma plus ending the tweet with the shrugging emoji. It just feels like he's passive aggressively blaming the players. If he's trying to be neutral, there are far better ways to phrase it.
So, yeah. He said the quiet part out loud. Players want to move, under any and all circumstances. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, or anything wrong with saying it. Folks need to find another target, I think....this guy is the messenger, not the problem.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Attending three colleges is now the new NCAA normal.

Completing college in four years at just one school is a thing of the past. Nobody does anything archaic like that anymore.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you think that was a neutral statement, coming from a Division 1 coach, then bless your heart. I want players to transfer every single year if they want. So many say they love college basketball but actually hate the players, just looking for an excuse to feel ok going off (paid mercenaries? lovely). Not surprising given the other stuff I read here.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago If you think that was a neutral statement, coming from a Division 1 coach, then bless your heart. I want players to transfer every single year if they want. So many say they love college basketball but actually hate the players, just looking for an excuse to feel ok going off (paid mercenaries? lovely). Not surprising given the other stuff I read here.
Who's hating the players? Guy spoke the truth, that's it. Nothing false or incendiary, just straight up truth. Players are having success and then transferring, good for them...Now I said it, too. Do I hate the players now, too? Does it make it more of a challenge for the coaches, sure.... The guy may wish it weren't so, but the fact that he talks about it doesn't make him a player hater imo. This is the new normal, folks shouldn't be dumped on for saying it out loud...
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, I don't see anything wrong with what he said at all.

He was simply just stating a fact.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I'm fully in the Team Players camp. When Jacob and Tyrese left, I was fuming - but I was fuming at URI. Them leaving was a URI problem (the coaching staff, facilities, etc.) and I was mad that the program wasn't where it needed to be to keep them here. Hopefully that's a thing of the past now.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I'm fully in the Team Players camp. When Jacob and Tyrese left, I was fuming - but I was fuming at URI. Them leaving was a URI problem (the coaching staff, facilities, etc.) and I was mad that the program wasn't where it needed to be to keep them here. Hopefully that's a thing of the past now.
I do find it quite ironic (and a tad funny) that since they left to accomplish more, gain exposure etc, that Hurley, Tyrese, Toppin, and Fatts have won the same amount of NCAA tournament games as Rhody in that time span.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
1 x
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I'm fully in the Team Players camp. When Jacob and Tyrese left, I was fuming - but I was fuming at URI. Them leaving was a URI problem (the coaching staff, facilities, etc.) and I was mad that the program wasn't where it needed to be to keep them here. Hopefully that's a thing of the past now.
I do find it quite ironic (and a tad funny) that since they left to accomplish more, gain exposure etc, that Hurley, Tyrese, Toppin, and Fatts have won the same amount of NCAA tournament games as Rhody in that time span.

Yes, no NCAA Tournament success, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t gained exposure.
2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

You can be in the Team Players camp and still not like seeing how many players enter their name into the portal. This is a bridge too far for me to criticize that tweet like so many have. And it reeks of the mindset if you do not agree with how I view it, you are an idiot. Nothing irks me more than self righteous people that are so convinced that the way they see an issue is the way everyone should see it. And how dare you even debate it. That is a problem with our society today in many ways. The mob mentality to intimidate people into not even being allowed to discuss various issues, and if you do, we will label you this, that and the other thing. I see a little bit of that mentality in response to that tweet from that coach which is disappointing.
4 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Very true, but UConn has 2 more tournament credits than URI does over this time period.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I think hate is a strong word to throw out there with this overall transfer issue. I certainly see frustration and anger, though. Ace, you obviously appear to be in the loop whereas I am not, so maybe you’ve seen the hate firsthand? If you have, I stand with you. There is no place for that!

I’m in favor of the players moving. Get bummed and frustrated when they leave Rhody but, so be it. It’s their reasoned choice and I respect it.

4Diffs, you make some great points.

Good discussion. Carry on…
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Coaches have buyouts penalizing them (and sometimes preventing them) for leaving a contract early. I don't have a problem with a student athlete transferring, but how about holding them somewhat accountable too?

If the coach that recruited the player leaves, the player should be able to transfer no questions asked. Maybe there are other guidelines you could institute that allows the player to leave no questions asked (ie...to go to a school that is within a certain range of miles from his home).

But...how about if the player doesn't fit into those guidelines they either A.) they have to sit out a year when they transfer or B.) have to pay back the free ride they received from the school they are leaving?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Something is a amiss when someone chooses a college to play any sport. Returning to freshman teams should be considered.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Something is a amiss when someone chooses a college to play any sport. Returning to freshman teams should be considered.
Bravo, bravo.

You are truly a one of a kind specimen.

And not in a good way.
1 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

But 3 of them got be in the NCAA Tournament.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

I'm guessing they left, in part, to wins games in the tournament, especially Dan.

Now obviously Dan and Topping will have March success, just a bit surprising to me they've gone winless so far.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Anybody think that Ish and Walker will follow Cox and be close to home at Maryland.

Maybe a little underwhelming for the Terps but they have several openings including some players transferring out.

Ish has 3 years left and Twan has 1.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Anybody think that Ish and Walker will follow Cox and be close to home at Maryland.

Maybe a little underwhelming for the Terps but they have several openings including some players transferring out.

I could see Walker going and contributing a good amount.

Leggett could go there and probably get 7 minutes a game. He struggled in the A10 big time, can't see him doing anything in one of the top 3 conferences in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Anybody think that Ish and Walker will follow Cox and be close to home at Maryland.

Leggett could go there and probably get 7 minutes a game. He struggled in the A10 big time, can't see him doing anything in one of the top 3 conferences in America.
Agree with Twan.

With Fatts and Green gone, Ayala maybe moving on, and Dockery transferring, there may be minutes available in their backcourt for Ish.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah could be a decent spot for Twan for his last year
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah could be a decent spot for Twan for his last year
I disagree even though it is a possible landing spot - Twan can help a good team out. He should look for a P5 team that has a shot at the NCAA tournament next year if he decides not to stay here. Just my opinion.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If I’m a player from the beltway area getting a invite to play for the Terps my answer is yes please.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Even with Cox on staff, I agree with you and think they'd have their sights higher than Leggett. From all accounts, Leggett is a great character guy, but his production the past year suggests he should transfer down in conference quality. If he wants to transfer up, he would probably need a "prove it" year in 2022-23, whether that's at URI or somewhere else.

Walker strikes me more as a guy that can go almost anywhere, and give you 10 to 20 decent minutes off the bench at the 4 or 5. He's probably going to have a nice pick of programs as a graduate transfer.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ve soured on Leggett, can see him transferring to an A10 level conference or lower definitely not P6
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Towson or ODU would be good spots for Ish.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Except for that though, we're exactly the same.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Something is a amiss when someone chooses a college to play any sport. Returning to freshman teams should be considered.
Bravo, bravo.

You are truly a one of a kind specimen.

And not in a good way.
While we’re at it, let’s outlaw the dunk again, too.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago I’ve soured on Leggett, can see him transferring to an A10 level conference or lower definitely not P6
I haven't yet, feel a little indifferent.
I like the effort he puts in, and usually gets the toughest defensive assignments.
We know he struggled offensively this season, but we have seen flashes and know what he is capable of.
Maybe it was the system and/or the coaching, not sure.

I am okay if he returns and also wish him the best if he does indeed move on.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I’m with you, Jersey. His flashes show potential. Plus, I believe he has 3 years of eligibility left, correct?

I think coach Miller can make him better so I’m good if he stays. He may not have a high ceiling of first team A10 but I think his floor is a solid contributor. If he decides to transfer, I’ll wish him the best.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I feel pretty confident that Willard and Maryland are shooting higher. Maybe some Seton Hall transfers?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

If Maryland is looking to get back to competing for conference championships than Ish and Walker aren't going to Maryland. They aren't good enough to compete at that level and help bring Maryland back to a top Big 10 program. I'm not sure why Walker would do that. I can see Ish going if he was welcomed there. Ish is a great kid, but would be better served to go to a smaller conference
0 x