It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Archie brought along a Keaney Blue towel from home as well. It was predicting a lot of future scoring in Kingston with big highs ahead.

Towelie.png
Towelie!
“When going someplace new you should always bring a towel!” -Towelie

I actually owned the talking towelie back when I was living in Bonnet finishing my degree. Always fun a parties.
1EAF587A-DF2A-4171-8DDD-BD2B37E63540.jpeg
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I'm late to the party. Awesome day! Love the jacket. Can't wait for next season! Go Rhody!
1 x
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

Finally watched the presser. Excited for this era. Go Rams!
1 x
Boo.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Does the new Ram logo suddenly look better to anyone else now for some *Archie Miller* reason?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Does the new Ram logo suddenly look better to anyone else now for some *Archie Miller* reason?
No. It’s still awful
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Does the new Ram logo suddenly look better to anyone else now for some *Archie Miller* reason?
No. It’s still awful
Admit it

It's better with that Archie shine on it!

But yeah let's not stray any further away from the beautiful interlocking RI...
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

My two year old son is much more like his dad and likes to run around places, he was watching the presser with his grandma. My daughter is perfect (takes after her mom) and can handle events like that.

Ed and Archie coached together on the USA U-19 world championship team when he was still at Dayton and spent a month together in Greece, along with their families. Then won gold there as well.

They became very close as a result of that. They also coached against each other in Maui (Archie's Hoosiers beat the brakes off of Cooley's Friars :D ). Ironically Al Durham dropped 19 against PC that day.

Despite what a few less-informed fans on here think, Ed's a great dude and has been very good to URI's last 2 head coaches with support and help throughout recruiting season.
Arch and Ed also squared off in the NCAAT round of 64 in 2015 Dayton won
Probably Archie’s best coaching job. Maybe Cooley’s worst.

6 Dayton players had schollys that game. They won 4 straight in the A10 and had to play again on Tuesday. No player taller than Kendall Pollard at 6’6.

My main point was that since they became friends after the USA coaching stint, Archie never lost his edge competing against him :D
I remember that run and they beat us in the A10 semis in a war

We lost to Stanford in the NIT after we won a game
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Mr. and Mrs. Miller have an eye for fashion.

And basketball!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

What a great, great day! Thank you to those who were at the presser and posted your impressions. We are moving on up!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
No. It’s still awful
Agree but if they were going to devote all their attention and energy to one project or the other, I’m glad they fucked up the logo thing and not the coaching search. Win some lose some.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Arch and Ed also squared off in the NCAAT round of 64 in 2015 Dayton won

6 Dayton players had schollys that game. They won 4 straight in the A10 and had to play again on Tuesday. No player taller than Kendall Pollard at 6’6.

My main point was that since they became friends after the USA coaching stint, Archie never lost his edge competing against him :D

Wasn't it the Stanford game where Hurls pulled a world class nutty on the officials? Waving his jacket around, losing it?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I was reading more about Archie and feel really bad that I had forgotten about Steve McElvene.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Archie killed it today. Wore the right thing, said the right things, perfect first impression.

I loved the boots on the ground attitude about getting buzz around the team and students to games.

Maybe they'll be a change in seating for the students behind the bench again. College basketball should be a student experience. The more they're engaged, the better our home court advantage.

We now have the 2 best basketball coaches in the A-10.
Maybe they'll finally uphold their end of the bargain they told us students back when they started charging each student the Ryan Center fee in their tuition and make the 100 bowl all students...

I know, not holding my breath
If the students take the 100s they’d have to move some season ticket holders, right?
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Always hot buttered, good call. Now needs to work on the chowder thing. Welcome to Rhode Island.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Wasn't it the Stanford game where Hurls pulled a world class nutty on the officials? Waving his jacket around, losing it?
Yes, and rightfully so. That was a hose job and a half.

We lived in the paint that year for our scoring and couldn't buy a call. Meanwhile any time we played defense it was a whistle for breathing on Stanford.

They shot 49 f'ing free throws that game. 49! They "outscored" us at the line by 24 points, in a game decided by 9 but was closer than that.

We had 35 fouls to their 21.

It was almost as bad as the no call at Duke (because God forbid someone beats precious Coach K at home, but at least Jimmy made them his b**ch) or UNC blatantly tripping Ulmer at the end of the NIT game again with no call costing us the W
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Watched the press conference this morning while I was working out. I was getting so pumped, it was probably my best workout in a while!
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Archie killed it today. Wore the right thing, said the right things, perfect first impression.

I loved the boots on the ground attitude about getting buzz around the team and students to games.

Maybe they'll be a change in seating for the students behind the bench again. College basketball should be a student experience. The more they're engaged, the better our home court advantage.

Maybe they'll finally uphold their end of the bargain they told us students back when they started charging each student the Ryan Center fee in their tuition and make the 100 bowl all students...

If the students take the 100s they’d have to move some season ticket holders, right?
YES, we are in 104. But I believe the reason they did not want students in this section is because we share the section with visiting team family. I guess there were several complaints in the past.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Oh i know it'll never happen, just still bitter they took our money then never delivered their end of the deal
1 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

YES, we are in 104. But I believe the reason they did not want students in this section is because we share the section with visiting team family. I guess there were several complaints in the past.
A. I didn't know it was our job to make the opposing team and fans feel nice and comfy.
B. Then the students should have been moved to the opposite sideline instead of being shoved into the end zone seats no one wanted
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Oh i know it'll never happen, just still bitter they took our money then never delivered their end of the deal
It would look GREAT on TV if students were put in the 100s. I think it should happen.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've been traveling for the past week so was really only keeping up with everything on twitter. Finally got a chance to watch the presser last night and catch up with all the other clips and interviews. The three biggest things that have stood out to me and gets me the most excited...

1.) The commitment from Parlange to make this all happen. If he is this committed this quickly, I can only imagine what can be accomplished when/if Archie brings us some sustained success. I really hope this is still only the beginning.

2.) It seemed pretty clear that Thorr's previous relationship and interactions with Arch played a big part in making this a reality. I think Miller mentioned it at one point, but it wasn't like they were starting at square one when the initial conversations started. With where Arch is at in his career right now, that seemed to be really important.

3.) I love the way Arch talked about playing fast all the time, and making the other team uncomfortable. I love that style of play. Too often the past few years it always seemed like we were allowing the other team to dictate how we played.

Bottom line, it's amazing to be this excited for Rhody hoops again. Can't wait to get back to the Ryan Center for a game when I can, booking trips to some road games, and to be back to the days of pacing back and forth in front of the TV for 2 hours during every game.
7 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

A. I didn't know it was our job to make the opposing team and fans feel nice and comfy.
B. Then the students should have been moved to the opposite sideline instead of being shoved into the end zone seats no one wanted
I don’t disagree and would gladly move....if the seats were filled. The way the students have been turning out the past 4 years, we couldn’t count on that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It would look GREAT on TV if students were put in the 100s. I think it should happen.
And it would provide the home court atmosphere Archie was talking about yesterday
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don’t disagree and would gladly move....if the seats were filled. The way the students have been turning out the past 4 years, we couldn’t count on that.
In fairness we couldn't count on anyone turning out in those seats
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How about the students get the 3 sections opposite the benches, 110, 111 and 112. Those go to the hard core Ruckus members. The casual students can still have some of the sections they currently have 101, 102, 114 etc., however many sections it takes to get to that 1500 number of seats set aside for students. The season ticket holder from 110, 111 and 112 then get 1st choice of where they want to move, across the other side to 103, 104, 105, 106 or some of the prime 200 sections. I sit in 211. I'm willing to move to a slightly less desirable section to make this happen.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wherever they sit, if I'm in charge of the Ruckus, I'm buying up hundreds of those jackets (or at least some cheap knock off version) Miller wore for the press conference and the whole student section is wearing them to every game.
6 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

To be fair the students were great for the Bryant, BC and BU games this season and then we know happened from there lol…

I actually think giving them the option to stand on the side will convince more to show up (if they’re getting better seats).
Last edited by RhodyRams916 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Wherever they sit, if I'm in charge of the Ruckus, I'm buying up hundreds of those jackets (or at least some cheap knock off version) Miller wore for the press conference and the whole student section is wearing them to every game.
Someone email the ruckus about this immediately 👀👀👀
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some good quotes in here that I don't think I have seen yet...

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 122575001/
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

How about the students get the 3 sections opposite the benches, 110, 111 and 112. Those go to the hard core Ruckus members. The casual students can still have some of the sections they currently have 101, 102, 114 etc., however many sections it takes to get to that 1500 number of seats set aside for students. The season ticket holder from 110, 111 and 112 then get 1st choice of where they want to move, across the other side to 103, 104, 105, 106 or some of the prime 200 sections. I sit in 211. I'm willing to move to a slightly less desirable section to make this happen.
I like that idea, but would still prefer to just put the students behind the benches since that’s where the main camera is pointing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Do you remember when (what year) students were removed from 103,104,105,106? I don’t honestly remember.

These are some of the most expensive seats. Even when we were playing to small crowds the past couple months most games were sold out. Some singles remained but Dayton, Davidson no tix available. They go for $45, $50, $55 depending on the opponent, day or whatever makes them different price.

So that would be less ticket revenue as students are the same cost regardless of where they sit.

In relocating season ticket holders out of 103, 104, 105, 106 where would they go? I’m sure upstairs but would they bump other season ticket holders out of their seats? Or just go to best available? How would it be fair to the displaced people?

At PC students are at both ends of the court.
At many college basketball games I see students are at the ends making crazy acts to impact the opponents FT Shooters. Last Davidson game 30 guys were in speedo bathing suites to distract the FTs.

Would be interesting to know how many D1 schools give students the best seats in the building. I do not know.

This subject comes up often. Maybe Scott Brand can set up a podcast with whoever can best answer seating questions and philosophy. We provide questions as always. WI-FI, replays, quality of food, students behind the benches and in 100 level sections pros and cons and why / when was the change made.

PC and UCONN have seat Licenses, like many NFL teams have.

Seat map is not accurate as 110 and part of 111 are used for media now.
9B7D1136-EF69-4E77-A8AA-0B9B178E04BD.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Nice photos of Archie in the RC:
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Do you remember when (what year) students were removed from 103,104,105,106? I don’t honestly remember.

These are some of the most expensive seats. Even when we were playing to small crowds the past couple months most games were sold out. Some singles remained but Dayton, Davidson no tix available. They go for $45, $50, $55 depending on the opponent, day or whatever makes them different price.

So that would be less ticket revenue as students are the same cost regardless of where they sit.

In relocating season ticket holders out of 103, 104, 105, 106 where would they go? I’m sure upstairs but would they bump other season ticket holders out of their seats? Or just go to best available? How would it be fair to the displaced people?

At many college basketball games I see students are at the ends making crazy acts to impact the opponents FT Shooters. Last Davidson game 30 guys were in speedo bathing suites to distract the FTs.

Would be interesting to know how many D1 schools give students the best seats in the building. I do not know.

This subject comes up often. Maybe Scott Brand can set up a podcast with whoever can best answer seating questions and philosophy. We provide questions as always. WI-FI, replays, quality of food, students behind the benches and in 100 level sections pros and cons and why / when was the change made.

My original gripe is from when the Ryan Center got built. They added a fee to every student's tuition to help pay for the cost of the Ryan Center with the promise that student tickets would be wrapped around the court in the 100s to "be like Duke".
2 x
---
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My original gripe is from when the Ryan Center got built. They added a fee to every student's tuition to help pay for the cost of the Ryan Center with the promise that student tickets would be wrapped around the court in the 100s to "be like Duke".
I understand. I'm just wondering how you fix that.

This issue that the students paid for those seats comes up every year on this board. So we should go to the right person(s) to explain why the decision was made and can it be reversed. Could also explain what other schools do and how much revenue would be lost by displacing the season ticket holders currently in the 100 level seating.

Scott Brand,
Is it possible to schedule someone from Ticketing / Marketing to explain the seating philosophy, reason for the change, reserved seating of family/recruits, media, friends, VIP's behind both Home and Visitor Benches?
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The black curtain with the media tables just looks so cheap and out of place.

Wouldn't be surprised if Archie tries to get seats back there and have admin figure out where the media would then go.
1 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

This issue that the students paid for those seats comes up every year on this board. So we should go to the right person(s) to explain why the decision was made and can it be reversed. Could also explain what other schools do and how much revenue would be lost by displacing the season ticket holders currently in the 100 level seating.

Scott Brand,
Is it possible to schedule someone from Ticketing / Marketing to explain the seating philosophy, reason for the change, reserved seating of family/recruits, media, friends, VIP's behind both Home and Visitor Benches?
Oh I don't expect it to get fixed, my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything.

The mob being moved out of the 100s was a whole other fiasco that Blueman can better give the history on.
0 x
---
---
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

ghostofkeaney wrote: 2 years ago Finally watched the presser. Excited for this era. Go Rams!
Is there a link to the presser somewhere?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott Brand,
Oh I don't expect it to get fixed, my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything.

The mob being moved out of the 100s was a whole other fiasco that Blueman can better give the history on.
Blueman?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
ghostofkeaney wrote: 2 years ago Finally watched the presser. Excited for this era. Go Rams!

One question though. Do you still think PC should fire Cooley? :? :roll:
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ahh the black shower curtains

a familiar foe in the land of ECR

get rod of those curtains and do something w the dead space below the scoreboard in that concourse

this area should be part of the expanded rhody pub area and/or green monster type of seating

something marketable

also, the "blue wall" must go and something needs to be incorporated there to close off that space and make it more bowl like

give me a hard hat and i will get to work

and i would let miller pay for the cost and they can have that area to advertise

IT'S MILLER TIME

(ps.. this is so easy - put me in charge)
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Scott Brand,

Blueman?
Yeah, he was one of the ones running The Mob back then and can better comment on the behind the scenes drama between the school and a certain member of the athletic department back then
0 x
---
---
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Thank-you!

Cooley IMO, has a similar resume to Rick Barnes when Barnes was at Texas, and Barnes was ultimately fired by Texas.

At Texas: 17 years...16 ncaat appearances...6 round of 64's...5 round of 32's...2 Sweet 16's...2 Elite 8's...1 Final 4

Cooley at PC...11 years...1 first four...3 round of 64's...1 round of 32...1 at least Sweet 16...2 nit's...another ncaat appearance during the covid-cancelled season.

The point that I was making is that both coaches were good during the regular season but had trouble in the ncaat, and fans get restless after a while.

Cooley has 6 ncaat appearances, but has made it to the round of 32 once and the Sweet 16 once, and IMO, he has reached his ceiling there and should be fired. Maybe he will change my mind with this year's performance.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_j7QFsgZhU
Thank-you!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blueman?
Yeah, he was one of the ones running The Mob back then and can better comment on the behind the scenes drama between the school and a certain member of the athletic department back then
Not going to re-hash all of that since I just feel too damn good about things at URI.

Basically when the mob had seats it was 103/104 and then the 1st section of the endzone near the band. That was the big draw for our group was that we had the best seats. So I always felt driving attendance to our group was based on having those seats.

But there was a bit of an issue with having your most rabid fans sitting directly behind 2 rows of the away team's ticket allotment. I honestly don't think we were any worse/better than what you hear in any student section around the country, but a lot of the stuff that students say goes unheard by family members/staff. I'm sure players and coaches are used to it, but it might be too much for the family members to deal with.

My thought would be to put the away fans somewhere else, but the way the arena is configured makes that harder to do.

There are a lot of programs that have seats in the 100's mid court and the atmosphere is ridiculous because of it. Pitt, Arkansas, K State, Maryland, Mich State, Gonzaga, Duke, and others.

Likewise, some arenas don't have that and have fans behind the baskets and the environment is equally great - UConn, UD, Kansas, Indiana, Iowa State, Purdue, Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina, Arizona, Xavier, West Virginia, New Mexico - etc.

So maybe I've come full circle on this. It's more important to have a lot of students (and beer) in the arena, than where they sit per se.

The risk is, without students on campus for a huge chunk of the year (December/Jan games, holiday weekends) you're risking having a bare spot on TV which I think is worse.

We're not a "built" program yet. We had it for the last 2 years of Hurley and the first year or two of Cox. But it takes sustained winning like what Hurley did, and what Archie will hopefully do, to make the games an "event" - but you're talking 4 years. Because every student who's at URI now hasn't seen an NCAA team. They don't have some awesome memory of a big win or anything like that. So we're starting from scratch.

What is probably due to happen is a re-seating anyways. Maybe a request for PSL fees for certain seats. Maybe just a re-alignment based on donor levels, etc. But I feel like we haven't had a re-seating since pre-Hurley.

As long as the beer is flowing and kids are showing up, I don't really think they care about being behind the baskets, and I've kind of grown to accept it. I'd rather have them all in one area though, so it's a massive wall of sound.
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Thank-you!

Cooley IMO, has a similar resume to Rick Barnes when Barnes was at Texas, and Barnes was ultimately fired by Texas.

At Texas: 17 years...16 ncaat appearances...6 round of 64's...5 round of 32's...2 Sweet 16's...2 Elite 8's...1 Final 4

Cooley at PC...11 years...1 first four...3 round of 64's...1 round of 32...1 at least Sweet 16...2 nit's...another ncaat appearance during the covid-cancelled season.

The point that I was making is that both coaches were good during the regular season but had trouble in the ncaat, and fans get restless after a while.

Cooley has 6 ncaat appearances, but has made it to the round of 32 once and the Sweet 16 once, and IMO, he has reached his ceiling there and should be fired. Maybe he will change my mind with this year's performance.
Even if you think he should be fired they will never do that to him and this run will buy him countless time now
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Archie brought along a Keaney Blue towel from home as well. It was predicting a lot of future scoring in Kingston with big highs ahead.

Towelie.png
Towelie!
“When going someplace new you should always bring a towel!” -Towelie

I actually owned the talking towelie back when I was living in Bonnet finishing my degree. Always fun a parties.

1EAF587A-DF2A-4171-8DDD-BD2B37E63540.jpeg
oh man, I'm so high.
1 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You keep saying "give". The students aren't being given anything, they are paying for the seats they've been displaced from. That was the deal, students would pay one third the cost of the Ryan Center over 30 years for those seats. The students are paying, athletics isn't living up to their end of the bargain
0 x