2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I am glad that URI's effort to replace David Cox lasted only six days in the public realm. Cox was fired 03/11/22 and Archie Miller was confirmed the evening of 03/17/22. I imagine the small number of passionate UMass basketball fans must be going crazy. The school announced that McCall would not be returning on 03/01/22. It is approaching three weeks later and the job is still open with loads of speculation and conjecture continuing.
Being among the “small number of passionate UMass basketball fans” is never easy, I’d imagine.

Could be as simple as their future Coach is still Coaching, possibly in the NIT. And then again, maybe he isn't. But we should know something on Mark Schmidt's future plans once NIT Play completes.
St Bonaventure in the NIT:
March 15: Won @ Colorado 76-68
March 20: Won @ Oklahoma 70-68
March 22: Play @ Virginia 7pm ESPN Tuesday Night (Virginia has Won @ Mississippi State 60-57 and then won @ North Texas 71-69 OT)
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I find this very difficult to believe:

Ace - any insight?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I find this very difficult to believe:

Ace - any insight?
That’s a Seton Hall troll account.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I find this very difficult to believe:

Ace - any insight?
That’s a Seton Hall troll account.
Makes sense - I didn't consider that - I didn't even notice it was named "PJ Carlesimo" just saw the text...that should have been my first clue.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A lot of people have too much free time on their hands.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s the same guy who said Kimani to UMass was a done deal. Now, he’s backtracking, saying that he wasn’t hired because he has a felony on his record, a thing that almost everyone already knows in basketball and, if not, is easy to find on google.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Schmidt seems very much a Baron hire to me.

Not a huge splash. His star has cooled off a bit - that Bonnies team has really underachieved the last few years. 3 dances in 15 seasons, 1 win 10 years ago.

For a program that was publicly beating their chests about how big of a hire they wanted to make, and how much they were willing to throw at it, this seems like a desperate attempt to save face.

Schmidt is a decent coach and it's obvious he's recruited well for Olean, NY. Just think it's not the "splash" they were going for.

Sad!
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Heard Kimani Young declined a UMass interview.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Not a huge splash. His star has cooled off a bit - that Bonnies team has really underachieved the last few years. 3 dances in 15 seasons, 1 win 10 years ago.

For a program that was publicly beating their chests about how big of a hire they wanted to make, and how much they were willing to throw at it, this seems like a desperate attempt to save face.

Schmidt is a decent coach and it's obvious he's recruited well for Olean, NY. Just think it's not the "splash" they were going for.

Sad!
Could be why Schmidt takes it probably be a big raise and from the area and all his Bonnie’s players will be gone . Solid hire but not a splash like us
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’m thoroughly enjoying the UMass coaching search so far.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If he does take the UMass job, they could literally challenge for the league title if all of St Bonnie’s starters use their extra year and transfer to UMass for their last hurrah.

Slim slim chance that happens, but it’s still a legit possibility.
0 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Heard Kimani Young declined a UMass interview.
According to Bladschun his felony may have caused an issue with UMass

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think this guy is well sourced. Umass fans seem to be saying he is just throwing shit out there he was the original reporter who said Kimani to Umass was a done deal. If he even did a shred of research the felony charge would have come up. That just feels like he is covering his ass for talking out of his ass originally about Kimani.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I don't think this guy is well sourced. Umass fans seem to be saying he is just throwing shit out there he was the original reporter who said Kimani to Umass was a done deal. If he even did a shred of research the felony charge would have come up. That just feels like he is covering his ass for talking out of his ass originally about Kimani.
Significantly more likely Dan Hurley said "you're way better than that shit hole" and he moved along.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago That’s the same guy who said Kimani to UMass was a done deal. Now, he’s backtracking, saying that he wasn’t hired because he has a felony on his record, a thing that almost everyone already knows in basketball and, if not, is easy to find on google.
Apparently this Jersey Guy Mark Blaudschun doesn't do ANY research such as googling backgrounds. He just seems to make things up and write words that have little credence.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago That’s the same guy who said Kimani to UMass was a done deal. Now, he’s backtracking, saying that he wasn’t hired because he has a felony on his record, a thing that almost everyone already knows in basketball and, if not, is easy to find on google.
Apparently this Jersey Guy Mark Blaudschun doesn't do ANY research such as googling backgrounds. He just seems to make things up and write words that have little credence.

Yeah it's pretty obvious Kimani has a felony. That's like the #1 thing that comes up with him, and why he's so revered. He was on the wrong path when he was younger, made mistakes, and made significantly positive changes in his life. Because of that, he's a phenomenal mentor to young kids who can be presented with similar choices. He's an asset to Dan's staff and any of the players that play for him.

He will get a job much better than UMass if he wants it, because of his past - not turned down because of it.

This toolbag is a perfect representative of the UMass program though. Like Archie said today, administrations win championships. And top to bottom UMass is in the gutter. I LOVE IT.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

To me , Young's felony is a non starter. He has obviously turned his life around and has clearly been successful in the coaching world. But I know there are people out there, some on this board that are holier than now. If we weren't lucky enough to get Archie, I would have certainly welcomed kimani over many of the other names mentioned. I wonder how some on this board would have reacted to him..
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Probably not the only one.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Sad!
Could be why Schmidt takes it probably be a big raise and from the area and all his Bonnie’s players will be gone . Solid hire but not a splash like us
Schmidt is an outstanding coach. Have you been to Olean? Can you find it on a map? Have you seen the campus? The fact this guy has made St. Bonaventure an upper-tier A10 program is miraculous. 3 NCAA's, 2 NIT's (likely would've been more with Covid). The Bonnies before he got there was Fordham before Fordham...

2003–04 St. Bonaventure 7–21 3–13
2004–05 St. Bonaventure 2–26 1–15
2005–06 St. Bonaventure 8–19 2–14
2006–07 St. Bonaventure 7–22 4–12

Schmidt is way better than Jim Baron...ask the people of Olean.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This toolbag is a perfect representative of the UMass program though. Like Archie said today, administrations win championships. And top to bottom UMass is in the gutter. I LOVE IT.

Can't put any blame on UMass for him. Blauds is a New Jersey native that went to school in Florida and later worked 25 years up until 2012 at the Boston Globe. He covered sports for the Globe with most of his focus on Boston College football. Now lives on the South Shore in MA and mostly blogs. I would question if he really has many good inside current sources these days.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Sad!
Schmidt is an outstanding coach. Have you been to Olean? Can you find it on a map? Have you seen the campus? The fact this guy has made St. Bonaventure an upper-tier A10 program is miraculous. 3 NCAA's, 2 NIT's (likely would've been more with Covid). The Bonnies before he got there was Fordham before Fordham...

2003–04 St. Bonaventure 7–21 3–13
2004–05 St. Bonaventure 2–26 1–15
2005–06 St. Bonaventure 8–19 2–14
2006–07 St. Bonaventure 7–22 4–12

Schmidt is way better than Jim Baron...ask the people of Olean.
I find it very odd that there is very little discussion or concerns as of late on the Bonnies board about the possibility of Schmidt leaving for UMass.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
I find it very odd that there is very little discussion or concerns as of late on the Bonnies board about the possibility of Schmidt leaving for UMass.
Agreed. Not sure if it is because they are totally oblivious to it or they just don't want to discuss the possibility and choose to ignore it. At any rate, they are the last A-10 team still playing with two road NIT wins thus far, giving them other things to focus on right now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed. Not sure if it is because they are totally oblivious to it or they just don't want to discuss the possibility and choose to ignore it. At any rate, they are the last A-10 team still playing with two road NIT wins thus far, giving them other things to focus on right now.
I posted this earlier.

Both of St Bonaventure’s NIT wins have been against P5 Teams on the road.
Bonnie’s are involved with this season still -
And maybe Schmidt is not going anywhere. Who knows but I’d love to be the only A20 team still playing on March 22.

Could be as simple as their future Coach is still Coaching, possibly in the NIT. And then again, maybe he isn't. But we should know something on Mark Schmidt's future plans once NIT Play completes.
St Bonaventure in the NIT:
March 15: Won @ Colorado 76-68
March 20: Won @ Oklahoma 70-68
March 22: Play @ Virginia 7pm ESPN Tuesday Night (Virginia has Won @ Mississippi State 60-57 and then won @ North Texas 71-69 OT)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anyone targeting Chris Mack ??
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This toolbag is a perfect representative of the UMass program though. Like Archie said today, administrations win championships. And top to bottom UMass is in the gutter. I LOVE IT.

Can't put any blame on UMass for him. Blauds is a New Jersey native that went to school in Florida and later worked 25 years up until 2012 at the Boston Globe. He covered sports for the Globe with most of his focus on Boston College football. Now lives on the South Shore in MA and mostly blogs. I would question if he really has many good inside current sources these days.
A couple of my BC football fan friends told me that he’s mostly wrong about his BC football “sourcing” too. So if that’s his sweet spot then it’s wise to not believe anything he says about UMass or college hoops in general.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Anyone targeting Chris Mack ??
Chris Mack is making a lot of money to do nothing right now. Does he even want to coach next season? Maybe he’ll take the Archie and Sean Miller approach and survey the scene for a year.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Are we sure he's actually a candidate? I haven't seen reputable sources really linking him with the job.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Are we sure he's actually a candidate? I haven't seen reputable sources really linking him with the job.
No we are not
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Anyone targeting Chris Mack ??
Chris Mack is making a lot of money to do nothing right now. Does he even want to coach next season? Maybe he’ll take the Archie and Sean Miller approach and survey the scene for a year.
Yeah I think that’s a good option for him, he should be a hot name in the next cycle
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

No we are not
I am not very deep into the UMass media ecosphere, but that Sage Hicks Curry guy and that other dude from Mass Live are like the only two UMass media people I've ever heard of, and they've both linked Schmidt to the job. I haven't seen any national outlets mention him; I also haven't seen a ton of national coverage of the UMass job, period. So who knows.

I am probably biased because, even as a proud resident of Massachusetts, the pound-for-pound best state in the country for my money, UMass as a school and athletics institution does less than nothing for me. But, I don't understand why Schmidt would leave Bonnies for UMass? Like, sure, his family is from Attleboro which is technically in the same state, but UMass is SO FAR from everywhere it is not exactly like it is down the road from his hometown. I've been living in Massachusetts for 10 years and I've been to both Asia and Europe more times than I've been as far west as Amherst. Nowheresville, USA. I don't get the appeal of the UMass job, at all.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No we are not
I am not very deep into the UMass media ecosphere, but that Sage Hicks Curry guy and that other dude from Mass Live are like the only two UMass media people I've ever heard of, and they've both linked Schmidt to the job. I haven't seen any national outlets mention him; I also haven't seen a ton of national coverage of the UMass job, period. So who knows.

I am probably biased because, even as a proud resident of Massachusetts, the pound-for-pound best state in the country for my money, UMass as a school and athletics institution does less than nothing for me. But, I don't understand why Schmidt would leave Bonnies for UMass? Like, sure, his family is from Attleboro which is technically in the same state, but UMass is SO FAR from everywhere it is not exactly like it is down the road from his hometown. I've been living in Massachusetts for 10 years and I've been to both Asia and Europe more times than I've been as far west as Amherst. Nowheresville, USA. I don't get the appeal of the UMass job, at all.
Amherst, Olean...same place, different state?
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

No we are not

He’s already interviewed for the job, Bamford is trying to decide is my understanding.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

No we are not

I think that's fair, but in this case he already has it rolling at one of those places so what is the upside in trading it out for another version where he'd have to build it from scratch and it will take years to get it back to where he is now?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

No we are not

Amherst is a true dump in my opinion. I never went there until my company started doing business with them 5-6 years ago. I was amazed that URI’s campus was so much nicer than Amherst in almost every way. Buildings are old and run down for the most part, just felt like a dump and depressing. Not much in Amherst based on my knowledge and if i was a big time coach getting a tour - i would run out of there after the meeting and wouldn’t look back! Made me really appreciate the work that has been done at URI the last 15 years to modernize most buildings and build state of the art new buildings.

I like Parlange’s vision with the Bay Campus, that area could be a true gem if they invest in it. Continuing to Think Big.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No we are not

I’m guessing money would be the main reason , isn’t he making less than 1 M @ Bonaventure?? Maybe Mass is offering 1.5 - 1.8 M that would be a reason to move
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wouldn't be surprised if Matt Langel ends up the HC at LaSalle.

He played at Penn and was an assistant there and also Temple.

Maybe also bringing PG Nelly Cummings with him who just entered the portal.
Team's leading scorer about 15 pts and 1st team Patriot League.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No we are not

I’m guessing money would be the main reason , isn’t he making less than 1 M @ Bonaventure?? Maybe Mass is offering 1.5 - 1.8 M that would be a reason to move
Bonnies are playing At Virginia tonight in the Quarter-Finals of the NIT with a chance to go to Madison Square Garden for the Semi-Finals
They beat Colorado and Oklahoma at the road

Schmidt is for sure focusing on that right now - only A10 Team still alive with Davidson, Richmond from NCA and VCU, St Louis and Dayton from NIT. His stock could rise a bit in the upcoming days - that's if he wants to leave Olean.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Wouldn't be surprised if Matt Langel ends up the HC at LaSalle.

He played at Penn and was an assistant there and also Temple.

Maybe also bringing PG Nelly Cummings with him who just entered the portal.
Team's leading scorer about 15 pts and 1st team Patriot League.
Langle to LaSalle would be great for them and the A10 another quality coach
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
I like Inglesby out of those 3
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

G.W. still seems like an OK opportunity. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the UMass job, but I think they're at least in the same ballpark. I'd want nothing of that La Salle gig, if I was an up and coming young coach.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Not familiar with the names in the mix at GW but Langel would be an excellent hire for La Salle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS board has some thinking it might be Grasso which frustrates some since they announced the opening weeks before the season end.

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... &start=855
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago UMASS board has some thinking it might be Grasso which frustrates some since they announced the opening weeks before the season end.

Yes hire Grasso !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago UMASS board has some thinking it might be Grasso which frustrates some since they announced the opening weeks before the season end.

Yes hire Grasso !!
He could bring Tre Mitchell back.
And Tony. Imagine Grasso and Bergeron together.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes hire Grasso !!
Is there enough hair gel in Amherst?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes hire Grasso !!
Is there enough hair gel in Amherst?
Not If Long Island U comes to Amherst led by Derek Kellogg
1 x