It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by luke »

What an impressive speech by Archie . So excited, I can't believe we got my first choice as coach again first with Dan and now with Archie . It was just an awesome introduction and press conference. And I have to say not only was the press conference so impressive , but also the posters on Keaney Blue brought their A Game as well . Cudos to all of you today for some outstanding posts . It makes me proud to be a part of this message board to read so
many wonderful and enthusiastic comments from the most passionate URI fans of all . Thank you all for the outpouring of love and hope for the future
Of URI basketball . It was such a pleasure to read the board today . You all got me even more excited to get ready to watch and enjoy the rebuilding
of this program .
12 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
love this quote! Big games in big arena’s become second nature to the players; nothing takes them by surprise. It becomes a mindset for the players. Confidence. No stage too big. Push them and us coach! Can’t wait!
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I heard URI Has to build a new welcome center after everyone at the press conference ran through the brick wall afterwards.
Except for KMac. He looked pissed. :lol:
I never cared to follow KMac. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong in the future. Wake up, KMac!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Very impressive - even inspirational. But I still think we should have picked Grasso. 🤓
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given what we have all witnessed over the decades in Kingston, the last transformative ten days have been truly amazing and quite literally game changing. Never have I seen URI put together such a first class total team effort operation and make such a full all in commitment to success for its basketball program. It first had to make the difficult and costly decision to make a coaching change which it bravely did immediately after the season ended with no time wasted. A search with an early target was quickly identified and pursued with a full court press team effort led by the focused and determined Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn. Influential URI alums such as former CVS CEO Tom Ryan and Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Mike Fascitelli joined in and made direct personal telephone appeals to the prime coaching target. URI basketball boosters came through with financial support to make the buyout possible and provide the necessary enhancements to bring the program closer in line with its top conference peers. The URI president Marc Parlange contributed with making a larger school financial commitment and authorizing and empowering others to make it happen. The entire hiring process was conducted in an extremely professional and expeditious manner. Once the target had accepted and was on board, URI and its corporate sponsor Dunkin Donuts quickly acted to roll out the welcome mat with billboards for the new coach and rev up the Rhody fan nation. The school's athletic dept seized upon the opportunity and took advantage of the hire with promoting new ticket sales. A first class press conference attended by RI Governor Dan McKee, Rhody mascot, cheerleaders, and boosters/university community was then perfectly orchestrated. A new era in URI Rams basketball was on full display.

I keep thinking I have to pinch myself to wake up as I must be dreaming. It happily is however not a dream at all as it is just the new reality of URI hoops. In the words of Celtics basketball great Kevin Garnett, it seems that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE now. Think Big, WE DO!!!
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
16 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very well stated, RF!

Shane set me up with a seat in the corner of the front row so I could easily get in and out with my walker. Garrett and Shane thanked ME for coming out several times, as if I would miss it. The venue was packed with standees wrapped all the way around the room. The cheerleaders barely had anywhere to stand it was so full of people with shared positive energy.

Archie’s remarks had the room enthralled. We all hung on every word. This man has an absolute gift in how he communicates. You can imagine him closing on a big recruit with many of those same themes.

If we are comparing our new coach intro press events, roll the tape from Harrick to #^#}%€£¥€# to Baron, Hurley and Cox. Make no mistake, URI is finally operating at a first class level and executing better than ever.

This hire was a master class by Thorr. Major credit to President Parlange for trusting in his AD and having the courage and vision to bet big on Archie Miller and the men’s basketball program to bring great value back to the University.

The Millers are good people who will enrich and support our local community. His wife, Morgan, was a pleasure to speak with about RI housing, restaurants, the Cooley connection, and BlueMan’s precious 3 month old daughter who attended with her mom.

Having a brief intro with Coach Miller, handshake, and a brief word was icing on the cake.

An outstanding day for everyone in the University and surrounding community.

Welcome to Kingston, Archie!! Let’s go win the damn conference!
17 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Parlange signed off on all of this 7 months into the job and after a terrible season, imagine what he’s going to be willing to do once he sees success?

Money money, more resources, more everything.
7 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
The Millers are good people who will enrich and support our local community. His wife, Morgan, was a pleasure to speak with about RI housing, restaurants, the Cooley connection, and BlueMan’s precious 3 month old daughter who attended with her mom.
Always a blast, love that ATP is back hitting the town again.

Would like to point out that BlueMan's daughter's mom is also his wife. She does sometimes allow me to point that out in public despite how this sentence is written. :lol: :lol: :lol:
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Very well stated, RF!

Shane set me up with a seat in the corner of the front row so I could easily get in and out with my walker. Garrett and Shane thanked ME for coming out several times, as if I would miss it. The venue was packed with standees wrapped all the way around the room. The cheerleaders barely had anywhere to stand it was so full of people with shared positive energy.

Archie’s remarks had the room enthralled. We all hung on every word. This man has an absolute gift in how he communicates. You can imagine him closing on a big recruit with many of those same themes.

If we are comparing our new coach intro press events, roll the tape from Harrick to #^#}%€£¥€# to Baron, Hurley and Cox. Make no mistake, URI is finally operating at a first class level and executing better than ever.

This hire was a master class by Thorr. Major credit to President Parlange for trusting in his AD and having the courage and vision to bet big on Archie Miller and the men’s basketball program to bring great value back to the University.

Having a brief intro with Coach Miller, handshake, and a brief word was icing on the cake.

An outstanding day for everyone in the University and surrounding community.

Welcome to Kingston, Archie!! Let’s go win the damn conference!
Here here! Thanks for the report ATP!! Glad you were able to make it!

I have to think Rod was watching from up above and had a big "finally" type smile on his face!
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

awesome ATP - thanks for the additional "color"

apologies if i missed it but what exactly is the cooley connection and how was the friendship formed ?

also, great stuff blueman w the 3 month old

we have a 8 month old (& a soon to be 3 year old) so i know what it feels like !

great of all to get there tho and show your support.

100% !
2 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Thanks RF1. I am class of '62 and have never seen this much excitement at Rhody.

Donated to the AD Fund and thanked him for the hire of Archie.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago awesome ATP - thanks for the additional "color"

apologies if i missed it but what exactly is the cooley connection and how was the friendship formed ?

we have a 8 month old (& a soon to be 3 year old) so i know what it feels like !

100% !
My two year old son is much more like his dad and likes to run around places, he was watching the presser with his grandma. My daughter is perfect (takes after her mom) and can handle events like that.

Ed and Archie coached together on the USA U-19 world championship team when he was still at Dayton and spent a month together in Greece, along with their families. Then won gold there as well.

They became very close as a result of that. They also coached against each other in Maui (Archie's Hoosiers beat the brakes off of Cooley's Friars :D ). Ironically Al Durham dropped 19 against PC that day.

Despite what a few less-informed fans on here think, Ed's a great dude and has been very good to URI's last 2 head coaches with support and help throughout recruiting season.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great reminder (to all who are able) to give what you can, in monthly or quarterly automatic installments if you like, to the Athletic Director's fund with the link in my and BlueMan's signature.

We are going to need never-before-seen community support to achieve never-before-seen success with Coach Miller.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

100% !
My two year old son is much more like his dad and likes to run around places, he was watching the presser with his grandma. My daughter is perfect (takes after her mom) and can handle events like that.

Ed and Archie coached together on the USA U-19 world championship team when he was still at Dayton and spent a month together in Greece, along with their families. Then won gold there as well.

They became very close as a result of that. They also coached against each other in Maui (Archie's Hoosiers beat the brakes off of Cooley's Friars :D ). Ironically Al Durham dropped 19 against PC that day.

Despite what a few less-informed fans on here think, Ed's a great dude and has been very good to URI's last 2 head coaches with support and help throughout recruiting season.

I agree totally with this. Growing up close to Providence and not much older than Ed, I've had many interactions with him over the years. Regardless of how much some here may despise PC, he is a great guy, you can't be around him and not like him. I realize I will be under attack by a few for agreeing with you
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LOL, which one of you guys started this twitter account?

7 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I just finished a conversation with my cousin who attended the event with his wife and he said many of the things expressed here so I won't repeat those but focus on his other feelings. He feel the Welcome Center venue was a home run because the crowded conditions made people talk excitedly to complete strangers and gave the scene a palpable buzz well before the presser started. While there were old-time boosters there, like Kousa and Terino, he was struck by the number of young people (not students) present which bodes well for the future of fan base. His wife did talk to Tammi Reiss and found her a bundle of energy and very much a positive thinker. Also met Archie's wife, Morgan, who is very attractive and appeared so happy to be here. In fact, for all to see she had painted her toenails Rhody blue in honor of joining the URI family. It was joyous and classy affair. I'm looking forward to watching the stream later tonight.
10 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Archie brought along a Keaney Blue towel from home as well. It was predicting a lot of future scoring in Kingston with big highs ahead.
Towelie.png
Towelie.png (206.46 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When Archie was at Dayton, his wife wore a t-shirt saying 'Dayton High Life'. We need one that says either 'Kingston High Life' or 'Rhody High Life'. Here's a pic.
https://www.thesportsbank.net/wp-conten ... miller.jpg
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Here's a video of the whole shebang:

https://turnto10.com/news/local/archie- ... wsource=cl
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Great reminder (to all who are able) to give what you can, in monthly or quarterly automatic installments if you like, to the Athletic Director's fund with the link in my and BlueMan's signature.

We are going to need never-before-seen community support to achieve never-before-seen success with Coach Miller.
Donation made, looking forward to going back to the Ryan Center next year!!
2 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

I was at the event today; Miller was very authentic. The President of the school deserves credit for finally getting Thor the funds. Miller was very measured about success and timing. It also seems IU took some of them to heal. This is a strong marriage. The school did a good job marketing everything. I wish a few more players attended, not ideal.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

100% !

Arch and Ed also squared off in the NCAAT round of 64 in 2015 Dayton won
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bwerner10 wrote: 2 years ago I was at the event today; Miller was very authentic. The President of the school deserves credit for finally getting Thor the funds. Miller was very measured about success and timing. It also seems IU took some of them to heal. This is a strong marriage. The school did a good job marketing everything. I wish a few more players attended, not ideal.
I assume he told the players who had a 10 o'clock class to attend the class.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago When Archie was at Dayton, his wife wore a t-shirt saying 'Dayton High Life'. We need one that says either 'Kingston High Life' or 'Rhody High Life'. Here's a pic.
RhodyHighLife.png
8 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 2 years ago

100% !

Arch and Ed also squared off in the NCAAT round of 64 in 2015 Dayton won
Probably Archie’s best coaching job. Maybe Cooley’s worst.

6 Dayton players had schollys that game. They won 4 straight in the A10 and had to play again on Tuesday. No player taller than Kendall Pollard at 6’6.

My main point was that since they became friends after the USA coaching stint, Archie never lost his edge competing against him :D
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Originally I was disappointed about not being able to attend but after really being able to listen to what he said it was probably better for everyone involved. I would have either made the whole thing take three times longer because I would have given him more ovations than you see in a state of the union, I would have been removed from the premise for constantly interrupting, or both. It feels so good to be excited about the program again and it feels so good to be a season ticket holder again
9 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago When Archie was at Dayton, his wife wore a t-shirt saying 'Dayton High Life'. We need one that says either 'Kingston High Life' or 'Rhody High Life'. Here's a pic.
RhodyHighLife.png
Love it!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyHighLife.png
…….Apply for license rights, or what ever the hell is needed. Maybe Athletics would give these away(along with a LO beach towel……yes, I said Give them away……go Rhody(Roady).
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Archie brought along a Keaney Blue towel from home as well. It was predicting a lot of future scoring in Kingston with big highs ahead.

Towelie.png
Towelie!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyHighLife.png
Neeeeed that sticker
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyHighLife.png
Neeeeed that sticker
No, we need t-shirts and sweatshirts.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Finally had a chance to watch the full press conference.

Is it November yet? Beyond excited for the future of the program
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A Keaney Blue Miller Lite tall boy with Archie’s face on it.

Need it.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….radio coach’s show coming…….out in town somewhere……..?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Other than a couple of short clips posted on Twitter, I haven’t been able to find any of what I assume is a decent amount of Archie content that he must have done with the local media after the presser. Anyone have any links?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ramfansince58 wrote: 2 years ago Thanks RF1. I am class of '62 and have never seen this much excitement at Rhody.

Donated to the AD Fund and thanked him for the hire of Archie.
This is something we all need to do. No amount goes unnoticed and unappreciated.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago LOL, which one of you guys started this twitter account?

This is brilliant! Instant respect to whoever this is.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Other than a couple of short clips posted on Twitter, I haven’t been able to find any of what I assume is a decent amount of Archie content that he must have done with the local media after the presser. Anyone have any links?
I saw Channels 10 and 12 are holding their stuff back until the news tonight. And Stone Freeman's YurView piece will be out "later this week". Not sure about anything else. I'm sure stuff from Koch and others will hit tomorrow.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Thanks reef for the info on Archie/Cooley
Last edited by ElmCityRhody 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Archie killed it today. Wore the right thing, said the right things, perfect first impression.

I loved the boots on the ground attitude about getting buzz around the team and students to games.

Maybe they'll be a change in seating for the students behind the bench again. College basketball should be a student experience. The more they're engaged, the better our home court advantage.

We now have the 2 best basketball coaches in the A-10.
6 x
'No Mercy.'
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Finally had a chance to watch the full press conference.

Is it November yet? Beyond excited for the future of the program
I didn't get to see the entire video until later this afternoon, but my gosh...Miller absolutely nailed that press conference! This man gets it. From what attracted him to the job at URI, to the style of play he wants to employ, to the importance of fan support in helping bring this program back to the level we all want and expect to see...everything he said was music to my ears. This was a home run hire by Thorr, and he deserves all the credit in the world for targeting the right man for this job and sealing the deal. Well done sir.

These last two years really made me lose interest in the program that I know and love, but I'm back baby! And I'm ready to support this team in any way that I can. If you listened to what Miller had to say in that press conference and didn't get fired up? Then I can't help you. This is as excited as I've ever been as a Rhody fan, and I can't wait to see the caliber of players and coaches that he brings in, and the culture that he establishes. Let's get this train rolling.

GO RHODY!!!
7 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Archie killed it today. Wore the right thing, said the right things, perfect first impression.

I loved the boots on the ground attitude about getting buzz around the team and students to games.

Maybe they'll be a change in seating for the students behind the bench again. College basketball should be a student experience. The more they're engaged, the better our home court advantage.

We now have the 2 best basketball coaches in the A-10.
Maybe they'll finally uphold their end of the bargain they told us students back when they started charging each student the Ryan Center fee in their tuition and make the 100 bowl all students...

I know, not holding my breath
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Originally I was disappointed about not being able to attend but after really being able to listen to what he said it was probably better for everyone involved. I would have either made the whole thing take three times longer because I would have given him more ovations than you see in a state of the union, I would have been removed from the premise for constantly interrupting, or both. It feels so good to be excited about the program again and it feels so good to be a season ticket holder again
I feel the same way and also am another person that will be getting their season tickets back. I haven’t been to a men’s game at the Ryan Center since Toppin and Dayton came right before CoVID.
Last edited by RamStock 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Great Day to be a Ram! Blown away reading and watching all the great stuff posted and shared today. We have a President behind Athletics! We have a incredible Athletic Director in Thor! We now have a Coach who gives us true hope and direction. Beyond thrilled. Proud of our University!

Just made a donation to the Men's and Ladies programs just to show my gratitude! What a day!!!!!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Originally I was disappointed about not being able to attend but after really being able to listen to what he said it was probably better for everyone involved. I would have either made the whole thing take three times longer because I would have given him more ovations than you see in a state of the union, I would have been removed from the premise for constantly interrupting, or both. It feels so good to be excited about the program again and it feels so good to be a season ticket holder again
I feel the same way and also am another person that will be getting their season tickets back. I haven’t been to a men’s game at the Ryan Center since Toppin and Dayton came right before CoVID.
Same, only after year one of paying and not going, we doubled our allotment (because we were having such a great time?).
The awesome thing is, we paid for them so long ago, they'll seem like free now. :lol: :lol:
3 x