It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That was awesome. He's sincere and from the heart. Can't wait to get this going! (I was also clapping and cheering from my living room with only the dog to prove it)...

GO RHODY!
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. (Stream available!)

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

sorry if this is a double post:

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can't wait for November! LFG!!!!!!
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That’s how you win the press conference. From the blazer to his remarks the dude was on point.
12 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
This is the most important quote to me - he knows he can succeed here and is ready to do it. Just a great hire, of a great coach at the right time in his career.
10 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Great press conference. If that didn't get a Rhody fan exited and anxiously awaiting the beginning of the Archie era, then you're not a true Rhody fan.

Go Rhody!
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is all on another level....even bigger than when Dan was introduced....but of course without Dan this day wouldn't have happened.

Top notch! Let's go get a Fresca! lol
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That’s how you win the press conference. From the blazer to his remarks the dude was on point.
Really blew me away. And I went into watching it with high expectations.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Get that blazer into the Ram Zone fast.
15 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Great press conference. If that didn't get a Rhody fan exited and anxiously awaiting the beginning of the Archie era, then you're not a true Rhody fan.

Go Rhody!
Or just dead inside.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

before it gets lost, I think it was important to note that Thorr thanked Cox in this day. Yes, he wasn't the guy we all wanted him to be, but Thorr did note what a class individual and mentor he was.

All and all, I thought all the folks were good, especially Thorr and his description of one of the phone calls. All good stuff!
12 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Funny that Archie mentioned one former player, Tyson, in the presser. I wonder if that could mean something?
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Archie mentioned Cox as well. Class gesture, and honestly deserved. Cox contributed a lot to a couple of banners hanging in the Ryan. It shouldn’t be wiped away because his stint as head coach didn’t go the way any of us wanted.
17 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That’s how you win the press conference. From the blazer to his remarks the dude was on point.
Really blew me away. And I went into watching it with high expectations.
The entire press conference was top notch, from Shane to the Governor, to President Parlange to Thorr to Archie.

Archie spoke from the heart and from the mind. Not a talk of coach speak. He was sincere, thoughtful, humble at times, very intelligent. Absolutely, positively URI got the right guy.

I liked how he talked about David Cox with respect and compassion. He talked about the place he was at a year ago and how his wife helped him along to get to where he is now. Archie was humble, sincere, intelligent and driven with a fire within to succeed - great leadership qualities. GO RHODY!
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Great presser - Managed to catch the back half of it. Perfect balance between emotion, and fair talk.

re: Player attendance, I was trying to find the thread from when Dan was hired, but I think that was so long ago that it was on the board before this one. I think Billy Baron attended that, but I can't remember who else. I wouldn't really read too much into player attendance one way or the other, except that the players attending are probably a stronger bet to be on the team next year vs. those that aren't. (Captain Obvious here, I know.)
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Archie mentioned Cox as well. Class gesture, and honestly deserved. Cox contributed a lot to a couple of banners hanging in the Ryan. It shouldn’t be wiped away because his stint as head coach didn’t go the way any of us wanted.
Agree totally. I was just going to post basically the same thing
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Archie mentioned Cox as well. Class gesture, and honestly deserved. Cox contributed a lot to a couple of banners hanging in the Ryan. It shouldn’t be wiped away because his stint as head coach didn’t go the way any of us wanted.
Both Archie and Thorr mentioned and thanked David Cox in the press conference.
2 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Love that Blazer. Wouldn't have to wear a URI t-shirt on the road. Sign me up!!!!!
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hello. https://www.indochino.com/product/croyd ... lue-blazer

ETA: Not exactly the same. But close.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Would love to hear comments from those that were there in person - I know Blue Man was there for sure (from his facebook posts) but who else? I'm sure the vibes of the room were great - just a big difference between being there and watching on stream.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Mama Mitchell is all in:

5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

The writers are gonna make us wait to read their pieces for any nuggets from the Q&A huh? Feeling to antsy for more quotes from coach.
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Guys, I don't think I've ever been more excited about anything in my entire life. When he said this is the most ready I've ever been I had goosebumps. Unreal job by Thorr and his staff.
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Archie and URI basketball both need each other right now. Could not be a more perfect match. It feels like the substitute is gone, and the real teacher is back and ready to fix everything that went awry the last few years.
16 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

You got a good one. Excited for the "non-rivalry" to resume.
16 x
alldayrhodyrams02
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by alldayrhodyrams02 »

Awesome press conference: the passion he has for making Rhody basketball the best it can be is 🔥

🐏🐏🐏
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I will continue posting and speak it into existence until The Ryan Center has Miller Lite again and someone in the marketing department comes up with a "It's Miller Time" promotion for the games.
2 x
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I missed it. Does anyone have a link to the Stream?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'm hoping to hear at some point more behind the scenes info about how it all came to be. Thorr mentioned Miller being at the top of his list of candidates and that the former AD at SBU reached out to Miller on Thorr's behalf to see if he'd be willing to have a conversation. While it would be interesting to see who else was on the list if Miller didn't pan out, I'm beyond thrilled we have Archie and anything else is mere conjecture.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Would love to hear comments from those that were there in person - I know Blue Man was there for sure (from his facebook posts) but who else? I'm sure the vibes of the room were great - just a big difference between being there and watching on stream.
We were there and I will tell you, that you could just feel the excitement in the room. Also, I watched the players that were there (Bassy, Carey, and Tres) and they were clapping and smiling.

I felt that the Coach's comments were very sincere and very humble. That wasn't at all what I expected. His message was perfect.
7 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I missed it. Does anyone have a link to the Stream?
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?re ... 5704577751
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I missed it. Does anyone have a link to the Stream?
It should still be available on wpri and facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?re ... 5704577751

https://www.wpri.com/sports/ncaa-basket ... all-coach/
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I heard URI Has to build a new welcome center after everyone at the press conference ran through the brick wall afterwards.
7 x
Slava Ukraini!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Just watched during my lunch. Awesome event and so well done. Greatly appreciate those of you who kept us updated during the event. Archie is going to be exceptional. Looking forward to the announcing of staff and what players we bring in.

Clear defined message and direction! That year off has refreshed/refocused him and he looks/sounds like a man determined to do great things here.
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Excitement around the program again! Welcome aboard Arch
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Mama Mitchell is all in:

2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

SO FIRED UP

very impressive press conference

time to check in and get to work !
5 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

What a great day! I can't believe how good I feel about this going forward
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I just watched it. I was so impressed with how humble he was and with his determination to start again. Made me emotional and proud to be an alumnus.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Absolutely phenomenal people. Arch is a professional. His wife is so genuine and nice.

They will be assets to this community and we'll be very glad they're here. Beyond the on-court success.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
It's very rare where our rival fans come out of the woodwork to praise something we did. Awesome that we finally are making good on "Think Big, We Do"
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

That's how you speak with conviction as a leader. No yelling, no theatrics, just pure passion and leadership
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

Just moved out to Arizona for work about a month ago. It has been brutal having to explain to everyone why I'm not rooting "for the Rhode Island team to win it all". URI being awful made it even tougher to back them up, but not today!!! Most people out here still love the Miller's (especially Archie). Showing pics of him wearing Rhdoy blue and hearing nothing but praises has been pretty sweet. They definitely hit a home run with this hire. Novemeber can't get here fast enough!!!
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I heard URI Has to build a new welcome center after everyone at the press conference ran through the brick wall afterwards.
Except for KMac. He looked pissed. :lol:
4 x