Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago RoadyJay,

As one who has complained about Wi-Fi in the past, I must say that this season I’ve had no issues. I even watched the WBB game in my phone one game as it was the same game time away as a MBB game.

I could not even check espn scores in the past but this year has been fine.

Consider also Scott Brand’s last interview with President Parlange when he said he would look into it but he himself had no issues and even had a zoom call during a game.

Could URI have fixed it and not said anything?

Is my t-mobile account just better this year with reception?

Curious what others who go to the games have experienced this year. Great for me but atrocious the past 5+ years.

There is so much to complain about I wouldn’t want you to not get the latest observations on Wi-Fi only to find out they actually did something to improve things here.

I do use my carrier. I do not use the URI Wi-Fi because it’s bad. Used to be my carrier didn’t work either but it does now.

Again curious what others have seen.
I never had wifi problems there either....maybe depends on where you sit?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Just want to chime in that our Ryan Center is a really good on campus arena. It's as nice looking as it's larger counter parts, but I've been to a few arena's now and it stacks up.

I've been to UVA's John Paul Jones arena and the Ryan Center looks just as nice just smaller.

Was just at a Tennessee UGA game at Stegeman colliseum and that place is a DUMP. Like the Ryan Center embarasses big ol UGA's arena. Just made me think like "wow we really do have a nice arena"

Only Dayton's is better in the A-10 imo.

Just need replay and wifi damn it...
Bringing this thread back since we don't want our threads about coaching failures to get bogged down with our talk about our infrastructure failures.

It's like showing up to a race with a 7 speed porsche, but not knowing how to drive stick.

I'm sick of the excuses here. Every other arena I've been to this year - Dunk, Gampel, XL - all have replay. Other A-10 programs have replay.

All those other arenas have easy to access public wifi or a cellular repeater that lets you get signal.

I didn't have issues checking scores on my ESPN app or sending pictures/texts.

The Ryan Center is literally a time machine back to 2007. It's unacceptable in this day and age to be unplugged. Sad or not, it's the reality.

People work. People gamble. People want to see other games. People want to communicate. That's society today.

And with a bad team - people literally have to decide if it's worth going off the grid for a few hours to be subjected to watching this team.

After a coaching change, and the necessary infrastructure upgrades that come with (practice facility, coaches pool, charters), this needs to be the next thing on the list.

Get wifi, get replays.
All these things are great to complain about but the question is who is ultimately responsible to make these things happen?

Many on this board are donors, season ticket holders, alum, etc. and I really believe we can help influence. But, if we don’t know the person(s) to influence then we are just complaining.

Let’s get the names and craft a thoughtful letter to see if we can help progress these obvious improvements.
Jay, I completely agree with you on the fact that a lot of upgrades rely on the backs of all of this. My concern is the fact that the Ryan Center is owned by Spectrum, who's owned by Comcast. Comcast owns NBCUniversal. If a company owns NBC and can't give proper accommodations to patrons at their events? Quick Google search, Comcast is trading at ~$44 a share, valued at like ~$210 billion. My real estate knowledge leads me to believe this isn't a showstopping asset for Comcast to fund with any kind of upgrade that they'd have to invest in. The Ryan Center is simply an asset in their portfolio, it won't be on the forefront of where they're going to put any kind of capital investment in. I could be completely wrong, but this is my take on why we are in the prehistoric era of technology at the Ryan Center. To Comcast, there's zero ROI to throw in a couple of hundred grand for infrastructure upgrades to this building. This is most likely why you don't ever see any top-notch act coming in. I'd like to know what the Contract is like with Comcast. I cannot anticipate that they're ever going to draw big names in ever again when there is Mohegan ~45 minutes away and ~45 minutes to the Dunk. Logistically, it's never going to be a draw for them but is considered a nice to have for their management/RE investment portfolio.

**and by asset I'm not talking about Comcast owning the property, it's the overall contract they have that they're making money off of
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

As one who has complained about Wi-Fi in the past, I must say that this season I’ve had no issues. I even watched the WBB game in my phone one game as it was the same game time away as a MBB game.

Consider also Scott Brand’s last interview with President Parlange when he said he would look into it but he himself had no issues and even had a zoom call during a game.

Curious what others who go to the games have experienced this year. Great for me but atrocious the past 5+ years.

There is so much to complain about I wouldn’t want you to not get the latest observations on Wi-Fi only to find out they actually did something to improve things here.

I do use my carrier. I do not use the URI Wi-Fi because it’s bad. Used to be my carrier didn’t work either but it does now.

Seems like a total anomaly, but glad it works for at least one person out of 8,000.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

Seems like a total anomaly, but glad it works for at least one person out of 8,000.
One who is at all the games and was before when it didn’t work at all.
And the New President 2weeks ago said he had no issues but would address it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I haven't been to a game this year so I can't tell you if it's better.
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Some nights it’s better than others.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rammgr wrote: 2 years ago Some nights it’s better than others.
Like, when there's only 200 people on the building, compared to like, 300? :lol:
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The president has access to URI_SEcure which works pretty well there even with a packed house. It’s the open one that blows the most
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

I can’t do shit on my phone in the RC. Can’t text, browse, stream, email, call. Nothing. Wifi or on network.

I have Verizon and iphone XR so it’s not like I’m working with inadequate equipment.
3 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..had to notice and have a good laugh at this one……..in the Alumni Lounge pregame, not enough tables, and it wasn’t that crowded……..two couples had to put their plates and drinks on……..the trash cans……..it sounds like a small thing, but it isn’t……..not the way to treat your higher paying customers……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

Bringing this thread back since we don't want our threads about coaching failures to get bogged down with our talk about our infrastructure failures.

It's like showing up to a race with a 7 speed porsche, but not knowing how to drive stick.

I'm sick of the excuses here. Every other arena I've been to this year - Dunk, Gampel, XL - all have replay. Other A-10 programs have replay.

All those other arenas have easy to access public wifi or a cellular repeater that lets you get signal.

I didn't have issues checking scores on my ESPN app or sending pictures/texts.

The Ryan Center is literally a time machine back to 2007. It's unacceptable in this day and age to be unplugged. Sad or not, it's the reality.

People work. People gamble. People want to see other games. People want to communicate. That's society today.

And with a bad team - people literally have to decide if it's worth going off the grid for a few hours to be subjected to watching this team.

After a coaching change, and the necessary infrastructure upgrades that come with (practice facility, coaches pool, charters), this needs to be the next thing on the list.

Get wifi, get replays.
All these things are great to complain about but the question is who is ultimately responsible to make these things happen?

Many on this board are donors, season ticket holders, alum, etc. and I really believe we can help influence. But, if we don’t know the person(s) to influence then we are just complaining.

Let’s get the names and craft a thoughtful letter to see if we can help progress these obvious improvements.
Jay, I completely agree with you on the fact that a lot of upgrades rely on the backs of all of this. My concern is the fact that the Ryan Center is owned by Spectrum, who's owned by Comcast. Comcast owns NBCUniversal. If a company owns NBC and can't give proper accommodations to patrons at their events? Quick Google search, Comcast is trading at ~$44 a share, valued at like ~$210 billion. My real estate knowledge leads me to believe this isn't a showstopping asset for Comcast to fund with any kind of upgrade that they'd have to invest in. The Ryan Center is simply an asset in their portfolio, it won't be on the forefront of where they're going to put any kind of capital investment in. I could be completely wrong, but this is my take on why we are in the prehistoric era of technology at the Ryan Center. To Comcast, there's zero ROI to throw in a couple of hundred grand for infrastructure upgrades to this building. This is most likely why you don't ever see any top-notch act coming in. I'd like to know what the Contract is like with Comcast. I cannot anticipate that they're ever going to draw big names in ever again when there is Mohegan ~45 minutes away and ~45 minutes to the Dunk. Logistically, it's never going to be a draw for them but is considered a nice to have for their management/RE investment portfolio.

**and by asset I'm not talking about Comcast owning the property, it's the overall contract they have that they're making money off of
URI owns the RC. Its management and operations are outsourced to spectra.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m sure if you’re a university employee you have no issues.

I can’t speak for T-Mobile but with Verizon both womens games I went to I couldn’t do anything. Texts didn’t send. Pics didn’t send. Apps didn’t load.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

URI owns the RC. Its management and operations are outsourced to spectra.

URI cannot make capital improvements (Wifi and any associated infrastructure) for the Ryan Center. It all falls under the umbrella of ownership (not LAND) of the Ryan Center which has outsourced management & operations to Spectra.

Spectra/Comcast who also owns NBC Universal = they are the ones cutting the PO's for that kind of thing.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

When there is barely anyone in the building, it will work better. True for any wireless based communication.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

So it sounds like, at best, it is hit or miss depending on crowd size, where you sit, your carrier, etc.

I think the point still stands. It's not good enough.

ATP, SGreenwell, TP --- What's your thought on sending this out on behalf of Keaney Blue? I believe it would make the message more powerful, but understand if you prefer it comes from a generic group of concerned fans.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

there is too much poop flinging on this site for an email to come on behalf of it, to be taken seriously.

it should come from concerned fans.

just my opinion.

unless, there are regular donations being made to URI athletics from keaneyblue.com, then we get to puff our chest out a bit.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Many emails were sent years ago....Look back at this thread, I think i shared their response.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I can’t speak for T-Mobile but with Verizon both womens games I went to I couldn’t do anything. Texts didn’t send. Pics didn’t send. Apps didn’t load.
Same exact here.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Many emails were sent years ago....Look back at this thread, I think i shared their response.
I remember. Didn't they come back with that it was going to cost up to $700,000 OR $1,000,000 or something very high?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..all important things to have……..right about now, if we had only a manual chalk board, plastic CYO flip number score board, hung off a card table, AND we consistently win again……..I could deal with that…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Many emails were sent years ago....Look back at this thread, I think i shared their response.
I remember. Didn't they come back with that it was going to cost up to $700,000 OR $1,000,000 or something very high?
that's a BS and lazy excuse. perhaps true a few years ago but most certainly not today.

we're already running lines and cables and beaming games out of the building to whomever wants to consume it on various platforms.

they can get a serviceable wifi provider.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
that's a BS and lazy excuse. perhaps true a few years ago but most certainly not today.

we're already running lines and cables and beaming games out of the building to whomever wants to consume it on various platforms.

they can get a serviceable wifi provider.
As someone with maybe a little expertise in this area - it's a combination of their hardware and their IT policies. The URI Open network is trash, and even when "connected" it doesn't necessarily work.

That could mean a couple of things.

They probably were sized for WiFi a while back. Meaning WAPs (wireless access points) are probably not plentiful enough in the space to account for the growth in IoT devices. I.e. they sized for computers and traditional WiFi uses, but haven't updated since the explosion of cell phones, tablets, POS devices, etc.

So when you have access points around the arena designed to service 250 devices, but you have 250+ people in the area trying to get on the network, everything runs slow.

And the problem is, it's not as simple as more WAPs. When was the last time you resized your routers and switches? Do you have load balancers? Do you have the type of micro-segmentation at the edge of your network to support your security protocols?

If they haven't updated the Ryan Center's IT architecture, $1M is just scratching the surface.

That's why I'm saying just put a DAS/cell repeater in the building. Essentially that means you're just bringing the existing cell service from outside the building inside. Way cheaper than a WiFi overhaul, keeps the school's network secure, solves your problem with cell signal and saves a ton of money I would bet.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago That's why I'm saying just put a DAS/cell repeater in the building. Essentially that means you're just bringing the existing cell service from outside the building inside. Way cheaper than a WiFi overhaul, keeps the school's network secure, solves your problem with cell signal and saves a ton of money I would bet.
Plus I would think that most people these days that have a mobile phone carry what they need for monthly data - for example we have unlimited data with the family plan we have - two adults, two young adults, tons of data use. My parents OTOH have I think 2Gigs of data per month and they never come close to using it. So even having to "use your data" in the RC for a couple of hours should be fine for most everyone.

Get it done URI, c'mon!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Random question here... Why doesn't the Ryan Center put some students in section 104 behind the benches? It looks great on TV and keeps students from being pushed up to the 300s if they arrive late to the game. For the fun of it I was going through some replays and noticed that they did it in 2004:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I believe that the opposing league team coaches and fans complained to the A-10 about the treatment they got and the conference office asked URI to move them. Section 104 was right behind the bench and next to the visitor team family and friends Section 103.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I believe that the opposing league team coaches and fans complained to the A-10 about the treatment they got and the conference office asked URI to move them. Section 104 was right behind the bench and next to the visitor team family and friends Section 103.
Oh ok, I see. I guess other CBB teams who put students on the side dedicate the entire stand for them to avoid issues with away fans + families.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I thought the students were moved because they didn’t show up enough and all the empty seats looked bad for tv
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I graduated in 2018 and never thought we needed to move the student sections to the sidelines. If we could make better use of the other baseline for student tickets I think that is all you need to upgrade. I agree with the point that it would look terrible over winter break on tv and if the team is bad at all URI students will find better things to do with their time than go to basketball games.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not sure if this is the best thread for this:

7 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice!! Looking forward to seeing some improvements.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good for the conference!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I never had a problem with the Ryan Center. Pathetic the league has to capitulate to the bums who won’t invest.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wonder if as part of the $50,000 we would be able to upgrade the video infrastructure in the Ryan Center and we can finally get replays
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if as part of the $50,000 we would be able to upgrade the video infrastructure in the Ryan Center and we can finally get replays
I'm guessing it will all just go towards the TV production.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

what can you really do with 50 grand???
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago what can you really do with 50 grand???
Hire Chris Disano?
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if as part of the $50,000 we would be able to upgrade the video infrastructure in the Ryan Center and we can finally get replays
I heard we already have the ability to do replays, BUT the A10 dissuades schools from showing them.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

If Bryant can do it, so can we. If we can’t find a way, we must make a way.
1 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

Whenever there’s a timeout or free throws, the scoreboard puts up commercial stuff, instead of the team stats. This is the time when you want to see the stats, not when the game is going on.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
I'm guessing it will all just go towards the TV production.
I'm sure that's a strong possibility, but let's say the Ryan Center for some reason needs production room improvement for the ESPN+ broadcasts and uses all or part of the extra $50,000 for that purpose. It stands to reason that while they're doing that they're also doing what is necessary to upgrade what we need in order for us to have replay capability
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 press release on this reads:

The budget also includes an additional $50,000 to each member institution to upgrade video equipment to enhance the A-10 ESPN+ streaming broadcasts production across all sports.

This upgrade does not appear to be basketball specific but for all sports that are streamed on ESPN+. This would seem to imply that it is not likely all going to some upgrade in the Ryan Center.

A-10 Press Release Link:
https://atlantic10.com/news/2022/6/10/a ... tings.aspx
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
I heard we already have the ability to do replays, BUT the A10 dissuades schools from showing them.
False. We need to hire a separate operator to do them.

We can’t show game footage because of broadcast rights.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
False. We need to hire a separate operator to do them.

We can’t show game footage because of broadcast rights.
Maybe you know something that I am unaware of, but this came from the AD's office.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Maybe this will help. He has a background in basketball coaching.

https://www.uri.edu/news/2022/06/uri-hi ... marketing/
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Nice pick up, Kevan. Thanks. Sounds like an excellent hire for Rhody.

Go Pres Par! go Rhody!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Love what Marc Parlange is doing with the University. He has done a lot in such a short period of time. Kingston is in good hands with him in charge.
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

For the people in the know...
Will there ever be an overhead video/scoreboard?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago For the people in the know...
Will there ever be an overhead video/scoreboard?
At least we don't have game stoppage from water
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

It’s hard to even add to this thread until the obvious repeated issues we have been calling for on all 64 pages of this thread are addressed.

If nothing else, we need to understand why these obvious improvements aren’t made. The radio silence is deafening.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I’ll go w a pair of scissors tomorrow and solve the black
Shower curtain issue myself so we can check that one off the list
1 x