Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by ace »

Also, keep that same energy for hating transfers and bemoaning the decline of the college game when Archie brings in some of his own transfers.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Stay consistent. Anyone saying to get rid of everyone should never complain about guys transferring out ever again. You don’t get to think of these guys as human beings with agency, thoughts, and feelings only when it is convenient to you.
Normally I would strongly agree with this.

However multiple players announced they were not loyal to URI by immediately entering the portal. Complicated, emotional sure. Perhaps the decisions were too hasty?

Seems to me it’s hard to walk back “I’m walking away”

Loyalty to Cox means nothing to me, this is Miller’s team now. His choice if he wants to welcome players who walked away back.

This is my team and my trust is in our new head coach. Investment made we’re on the fast track to greatness. Build YOUR team coach I’ll be there!

Time to win.

Go Rhody!
So, normally you would agree but you can’t this time because your emotions are too involved in it :)

I’m talking about transfers in general- if fans want to treat players like commodities, then save the complaining when they do the same. It’s like, this guy said he wanted to explore transfer options, screw him! This guy wanted to stay but the coach kicked him out, screw him, too!

The way I see it- you can’t want players to be loyal to the school you’re a fan of while at the same time supporting the coach coming in and getting rid of whoever he wants to. They can’t walk away when they want to, but they better run when the coach tells them to leave?
I guess I agree. I support the coach. If the coach picks a player to be on the squad and tells him to run...he needs to run. If he'd rather transfer...no hard feelings from me.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Stay consistent. Anyone saying to get rid of everyone should never complain about guys transferring out ever again. You don’t get to think of these guys as human beings with agency, thoughts, and feelings only when it is convenient to you.
Normally I would strongly agree with this.

However multiple players announced they were not loyal to URI by immediately entering the portal. Complicated, emotional sure. Perhaps the decisions were too hasty?

Seems to me it’s hard to walk back “I’m walking away”

Loyalty to Cox means nothing to me, this is Miller’s team now. His choice if he wants to welcome players who walked away back.

This is my team and my trust is in our new head coach. Investment made we’re on the fast track to greatness. Build YOUR team coach I’ll be there!

Time to win.

Go Rhody!
This whole "loyalty" notion cracks me up. Create an environment that players want to be in and if they don't want to be in it...... See ya, with no hard feelings.
Don't fret about those that portaled...any that Arch wants back...will be back.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Also, keep that same energy for hating transfers and bemoaning the decline of the college game when Archie brings in some of his own transfers.
Counting on it!

NCAA declares it is the Wild West saddle up! Let’s go!

:)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I realize we have to play the transfer game because it is the current landscape but still want us to get 4 year players. Watching players improve over their careers was half the fun.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Matunuck wrote: 2 years ago SGreen, I respect your opinion and your posts. I think with the current loose transfer protocol, we will have a lot more than two new roster spots to fill. I think Archie will bring in his type of players, and no one is safe.
To be clear - I think it's likely we have more than 2 spots to fill as well. However, there's probably a tipping point when it comes to recruits available to Archie in this short window. Most of the better prospects have already signed, so it might be better if we "only" have to fill, say, 2 to 4 spots, vs. 5+.
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Once you enter the transfer your option to return is the coaches not yours!! You can't have it both ways good luck to the players but the are no guarentees you will have an offer to come back as it should be.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody78 wrote: 2 years ago Once you enter the transfer your option to return is the coaches not yours!! You can't have it both ways good luck to the players but the are no guarentees you will have an offer to come back as it should be.
Bingo!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Isn’t today the day Archie is meeting with players? Could explain the reasoning between two players transferring today
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Isn’t today the day Archie is meeting with players? Could explain the reasoning between two players transferring today
My thoughts exactly. Some players likely told to “explore their options and we’ll keep you in mind”
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is not a matter of loyalty. It's like when your company gets sold and you start circulating your resume just in case. Those in the portal did the right thing. If Archie wants any of them to stay, they likely will.
9 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope Betrand stays. If healthy he can help.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I hope Betrand stays. If healthy he can help.
Aren’t you paying attention? He apparently should be thrown off the campus immediately!

But, I agree. He’ll be rusty but fully healthy and could be a nice complementary piece.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I actually hope or don't mind if any or all stay. It's their option and wise to explore any opportunities and it's certainly not unusual with a coaching change.. I think most of the players have components that can be helpful to the program even if in a limited role. Archie will talk to the players and sort things out and I have no doubt he will be fine with the roster construction or reconstruction.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Archie was hired, in part, because of his rep as a talent evaluator. I’m fine with whatever he does.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I realize we have to play the transfer game because it is the current landscape but still want us to get 4 year players. Watching players improve over their careers was half the fun.
I think that might be becoming a rarity...
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm happy the Mitchell twins or Jalen hasn't opted for this route yet. If I had my choice and we could only keep 3 players, it would be those 3.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago This is not a matter of loyalty. It's like when your company gets sold and you start circulating your resume just in case. Those in the portal did the right thing. If Archie wants any of them to stay, they likelywill.
Fify
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago This is not a matter of loyalty. It's like when your company gets sold and you start circulating your resume just in case. Those in the portal did the right thing. If Archie wants any of them to stay, they likely will.
Iggy,

Why wouldn’t all the players put their name in the portal?
What is there to lose?
If they say they are open to returning to URI it seems like they are keeping all of their options open.

I’d think it’s just a matter of time before all are in the portal. Nothing wrong with checking your marketability - just like LinkedIn - especially when there is a change in management.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It seems the ones who seemed to be having problems with Cox and mouthing off to him (Mitchell twins, Carey) are the ones who aren't putting their name in the portal. Those three might be very happy about the coaching change.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's going to be a change of atmosphere for these players, no matter how they slice it.

Do you want that change of atmosphere to be here? or elsewhere? is the only variable.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Who cares? Let them all walk, if they were here for Cox then that’s their problem. You should always choose a school based on the school (whether that’s academics, athletic developments, what have you). Screw ‘em
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That being said, I think it's a positive that the twins want to stay and Mama Mitchell is on board. Obviously they are opting for that former option, and not the latter one.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The entire roster is not a bust. There are a few on here that could have easily been better than they were with some much better coaching.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago It seems the ones who seemed to be having problems with Cox and mouthing off to him (Mitchell twins, Carey) are the ones who aren't putting their name in the portal. Those three might be very happy about the coaching change.
Bring em on board!

Might be all the twins need. A lil tough Archie love and discipline.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

As others have said here, I think the ones that have not entered the portal are the ones that have already touched base with Coach Miller and have mutually decided they have a definite place here. Two near 7 footers who want to stay and who their parental unit is eager for them to remain here would seem to be a no brainer. The rest, for whatever reason, over a broad spectrum of reasons, have entered the portal. Archie will convince the ones he wants badly enough to stay. He's probably doing nothing right now but scouring game film of not only all of these players entering the portal but ones elsewhere on the recruiting trail.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NorthernRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Who cares? Let them all walk, if they were here for Cox then that’s their problem. You should always choose a school based on the school (whether that’s academics, athletic developments, what have you). Screw ‘em
Not true at all, sure you must buy into the school, but you build your relationship with staff and those recruiting you.
The recruits inner circle may point the player in a certain direction based upon the coach's' connections there.
Again, there is a trust level that forms between the player his family and the coach's recruiting him.
Yes, the school plays a part, but this goes well beyond that.

Look Chance committed here before even visiting the campus.

I have no issues with the players entering the portal and then have a change of heart, providing of course that the coach wants them back.
If Archie feels they can provide an impact on team, I welcome them back with open arms.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

NorthernRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Who cares? Let them all walk, if they were here for Cox then that’s their problem. You should always choose a school based on the school (whether that’s academics, athletic developments, what have you). Screw ‘em
Wouldn't the coach fall under athletic developments? You are spending 40 hours a week with your coach during the season, whereas you may only be taking 15 credit hours a week with your academic course load...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Updated topic title and first post.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Just because they haven't put out a statement doesn't mean that a player hasn't put themselves in the portal or filled out the paperwork. As I previously stated, as many as 9 were going to be entering the portal when Cox was let go.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I can’t help but think this sentiment is a result of not really understanding the situation all that well, or the dynamics at play.

Still, “screw em” is a pretty tough look talking about college kids, especially kids at YOUR college.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Just because they haven't put out a statement doesn't mean that a player hasn't put themselves in the portal or filled out the paperwork. As I previously stated, as many as 9 were going to be entering the portal when Cox was let go.
I don’t have to much of an opinion on how many are entering the portal , I trust Arch will put the best roster he can construct

Of all those who put their name in I want Malik back the most he can be a good glue guy again
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Just because they haven't put out a statement doesn't mean that a player hasn't put themselves in the portal or filled out the paperwork. As I previously stated, as many as 9 were going to be entering the portal when Cox was let go.
Bos8,
Was your number of 9 your own estimate? or was that something you heard?
My guess is that Thomas and Pierre will not enter the Portal but the other 10 end up entering to explore their options.

The big question is how many of the 12 current roster eligible players are on the 2022-2023 Roster next November.

2021-2022 Roster
1. Sebastian Thomas FR
2. Tres Berry FR - Portal with return option
3. Abdou Samb FR
4. Ileri Ayo-Faleye FR - Portal with return option
5. Parnell Pierre FR
6. Ishmael Leggett FR- Portal with return option
7. Jalen Carey R-SO
8. Makhi Mitchell SO
9. Makhel Mitchell SO
10. Allen Betrand JR - Portal with return option
11. Malik Martin JR - Portal with return option
12. Antwan Walker R-JR - Portal with return option

Eligibility expired for 2022-2023
Jeremy Sheppard SR
Ishmael El-Amin GRAD
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Something that I had heard. Would not provide my own analysis without saying so
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have said before they all should go into the portal. 2 way street between player and coach.
You want to stay or leave as a player you can. Want player to stay or leave as a coach you can.
The new NCAA get use to it
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If the Mitchells stay, I can't wait to see how Archie gets them to buy in and how they react to discipline. I agree they have talent but they were pretty unlikeable with their selfishness and totally boorish attitudes. I hope he succeeds with them.. also can't wait to see warmups before each half at first home game. Bet the structure and change in culture will be apparent immediately.👏. Can't wait.
Last edited by ram1980 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I hope we get a better sense of who is staying by this time next week. The suspense is killing me.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Something that I had heard. Would not provide my own analysis without saying so
Thanks.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, the only ones not in the portal right now are the Mitchells, Carey, Bassy and Samb, that we know of, anyway.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I get kids wanting to test the waters and see what shakes out but the ones that entered the portal actually reduced their options. Now Archie can say well you opted out and that’s probably best. Like it opened them up to have a door closed versus not making a move for a week and seeing what happened. Then having a convo and making a decision. I assume he is addressing whatever is left of the team tonight.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I get kids wanting to test the waters and see what shakes out but the ones that entered the portal actually reduced their options. Now Archie can say well you opted out and that’s probably best. Like it opened them up to have a door closed versus not making a move for a week and seeing what happened. Then having a convo and making a decision. I assume he is addressing whatever is left of the team tonight.
If that's the way Archie feels about them, it's probably best for them to leave and transfer down a level anyway... The ones that Archie wants, he'll actively convince (recruit) to try and stay regardless if they entered the portal already or not.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Does anyone read the Recruitment Corner anymore or am I waisting my time posting?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My thoughts are Martin, Leggett, Berry and Walker all entered the portal before Archie was hired. The other 2 today. In my mind the first four are more likely to come back than the other 2 because they entered the portal before Archie was hired. I have to think Ayo-Faleye and Bertrand met with Archie before entering the portal and are more likely gone.

Or that’s what makes most logical sense.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago My thoughts are Martin, Leggett, Berry and Walker all entered the portal before Archie was hired. The other 2 today. In my mind the first four are more likely to come back than the other 2 because they entered the portal before Archie was hired. I have to think Ayo-Faleye and Bertrand met with Archie before entering the portal and are more likely gone.

Or that’s what makes most logical sense.
Give me Malik and Walker out of that group and that's it.

Malik, Walker, Bassy, Carey and the twins

Get us some shooters and an Indiana dude and we gravy
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone read the Recruitment Corner anymore or am I waisting my time posting?
I mean, the effort is appreciated, but I think we don't really know who Archie will be targeting until we know 1) who's leaving and 2) who's on his staff.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone read the Recruitment Corner anymore or am I waisting my time posting?
Kevin, I appreciate reading it. I did get some insight in your last post on who Archie recruited in 2020
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No. No one reads it. Kidding, I actually have no idea, I don't read it. Is there portal news on it? Should there be a separate PortalPalooza thread? I'm ready to start hearing wild rumors anytime really... Let's go
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I mean, the effort is appreciated, but I think we don't really know who Archie will be targeting until we know 1) who's leaving and 2) who's on his staff.
I think we all can agree we need a point guard. That’s where I started with 2 unsigned 3 stars with Dayton and/or Archie roots.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It'll be interesting to see what players are at the press conference tomorrow. That could tell us a lot.
1 x