Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Davidson getting screwed by refs right now - 3 phantom calls in a row.
Agree...they got hosed
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Davidson getting screwed by refs right now - 3 phantom calls in a row.
Pretty sure they had MSU trapped 3 times while Davidson was full court pressing, none of the 3 were fouls, Davidson had a steal off the one trap.
1 x
FlyerFanInMA
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by FlyerFanInMA »

Congrats Rhody - great hire!! As a Flyer fan in MA I have attended all UD games at RC for the past 8 years. The attendance this year sucked, but I was impressed by the rowdiness of years past and this has led me to adopt the Rams as my 2nd favorite team in the A10. I look forward to your success with Archie - he energized the Dayton fanbase and led us to new heights in his time there. He is not a big people person and can come off as a curmudgeon, but the success speaks for itself. Also, you will love (as we did / do) his wife Morgan. She is a large supporter of the fan base that she is associated with and I think she will love RI! Show her the love and ingratiate her to all that RI has to offer - Newport, South County and Mews! You will love the Millers!!
12 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The program enhancements are so key (although can I ask where they were 5 or so years ago?!). Anyway, moving on. No matter how long Archie stays, the practice facility and the charters and the staff salaries and all that are there for the program, and that changes everything. And, frankly, Archie needed URI, too. That 33-44 Big Ten record, with year 1 being his best, doesn’t make him a viable candidate for every job. There were times at Indiana that things on the court looked pretty brutal. It’s a perfect match.
7 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago The program enhancements are so key (although can I ask where they were 5 or so years ago?!). Anyway, moving on. No matter how long Archie stays, the practice facility and the charters and the staff salaries and all that are there for the program, and that changes everything. And, frankly, Archie needed URI, too. That 33-44 Big Ten record, with year 1 being his best, doesn’t make him a viable candidate for every job. There were times at Indiana that things on the court looked pretty brutal. It’s a perfect match.
I said this in a previous post or on Twitter (don’t remember) - the best time to do this was 5 years ago. The second best time is now. Ace I’d drive myself crazy with the what ifs if I also don’t move on.

So glad they are finally waking up. Build the foundation AND maintain it. The latter is key.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago The program enhancements are so key (although can I ask where they were 5 or so years ago?!). Anyway, moving on. No matter how long Archie stays, the practice facility and the charters and the staff salaries and all that are there for the program, and that changes everything. And, frankly, Archie needed URI, too. That 33-44 Big Ten record, with year 1 being his best, doesn’t make him a viable candidate for every job. There were times at Indiana that things on the court looked pretty brutal. It’s a perfect match.
I said this in a previous post or on Twitter (don’t remember) - the best time to do this was 5 years ago. The second best time is now. Ace I’d drive myself crazy with the what ifs if I also don’t move on.

So glad they are finally waking up. Build the foundation AND maintain it. The latter is key.
I think Thorr and the boosters (Ryan and Fascitelli) learned their lesson the hard way after what happened with Dan, and then Cox over the last 4-5 years. The good news is that they recognized it and took action.
4 x
Common sense is not common.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It sounds like our new President is making a difference. I’m sure Thorr would have done all of that 5 years ago if it were up to him.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Archie played point guard at NC State and is listed among that program's top ten on FT percentage, 3-point shooting %, total 3-pointers. This experience and knowledge hopefully makes an immediate impact at URI.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I heard from an agent last night what Iggy reported. Also heard that the Archie rumor is convenient for Archie and URI. But nothing is final at this point for either side.
I guess that “agent” of yours was wrong huh?? What was the agents name by the way? Jerry Maguire??
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago
It sounds like our new President is making a difference. I’m sure Thorr would have done all of that 5 years ago if it were up to him.
I am as ecstatic as anyone about the events of the last 10 days, but I especially wonder how DC must feel watching URI make these investments now.

To be clear, I don't think they would have made any difference to the results of the past four years — Cox's biggest shortcoming was in-game coaching, after all — but I'd bet he *thinks* they would have made a difference to him. It can't be a good feeling to see an immediate 40% increase in the assistant pool and a groundbreaking on a practice facility literally within a few months of his departure.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago I am as ecstatic as anyone about the events of the last 10 days, but I especially wonder how DC must feel watching URI make these investments now.

To be clear, I don't think they would have made any difference to the results of the past four years — Cox's biggest shortcoming was in-game coaching, after all — but I'd bet he *thinks* they would have made a difference to him. It can't be a good feeling to see an immediate 40% increase in the assistant pool and a groundbreaking on a practice facility literally within a few months of his departure.
I would imagine that it is likely tougher on Dan Hurley than David Cox. Hurley had actual success and still couldn't get the necessary enhancements. URI and Thorr's big mistake was taking no action after the 2017 A-10 Tournament Championship and NCAA run. They should have rewarded that success with a bigger commitment to Hurley and the program. They instead sat on their hands and sent Dan a powerful message that he was probably never going to get what he needed at URI. It set the stage for what would happen in the next year with Hurley going to UConn. I think he became far more open to the idea of going elsewhere in the aftermath of the 2017 success and the university's inaction to build upon it.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
I am as ecstatic as anyone about the events of the last 10 days, but I especially wonder how DC must feel watching URI make these investments now.

The Practice Facility was already happening. The timetable has not changed.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago I am as ecstatic as anyone about the events of the last 10 days, but I especially wonder how DC must feel watching URI make these investments now.

I would imagine that it is likely tougher on Dan Hurley than David Cox. Hurley had actual success and still couldn't get the necessary enhancements. URI' and Thorr's big mistake was taking no action after the 2017 A-10 Tournament Championship and NCAA run. They should have rewarded that success with a bigger commitment to Hurley and the program. They instead sat on their hands and sent Dan a powerful message that he was probably never going to get what he needed at URI. It set the stage for what would happen in the next year with Hurley going to UConn. I think he became far more open to the idea of going elsewhere in the aftermath of the 2017 success and the university's inaction to build upon it.
DH was always leaving us. Boosters were not ready to step up when he was here and that was a problem but it did not change him going to UConn, he was always going to the “bigger” stage.

The mistake as it turns out was hiring Cox. I think Cox was a solid hire but it didn’t excite the funders of the program and we lost momentum. ECR was right, should have hired Pitino and continued the momentum with the boosters. Cox is a better basketball guy then we are giving him credit for now, but he did not build up the program. He did not command the attention of the people with the dollars to make this work. Archie Miller is a home-run hire just for that, he will excite the people who need to be excited. On top of that he is a good coach.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I would imagine that it is likely tougher on Dan Hurley than David Cox. Hurley had actual success and still couldn't get the necessary enhancements. URI' and Thorr's big mistake was taking no action after the 2017 A-10 Tournament Championship and NCAA run. They should have rewarded that success with a bigger commitment to Hurley and the program. They instead sat on their hands and sent Dan a powerful message that he was probably never going to get what he needed at URI. It set the stage for what would happen in the next year with Hurley going to UConn. I think he became far more open to the idea of going elsewhere in the aftermath of the 2017 success and the university's inaction to build upon it.
Bingo! Would have been great to have shown Hurley that reward like he rewarded us by putting the infrastructure in place to build a consistent winner and keep him here long term. But they are waking up now and this is good. At last!
Last edited by steviep123 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I would imagine that it is likely tougher on Dan Hurley than David Cox. Hurley had actual success and still couldn't get the necessary enhancements. URI and Thorr's big mistake was taking no action after the 2017 A-10 Tournament Championship and NCAA run. They should have rewarded that success with a bigger commitment to Hurley and the program. They instead sat on their hands and sent Dan a powerful message that he was probably never going to get what he needed at URI. It set the stage for what would happen in the next year with Hurley going to UConn. I think he became far more open to the idea of going elsewhere in the aftermath of the 2017 success and the university's inaction to build upon it.
Dan wasn't staying, regardless of all the "we're a family" talk.

Case in point, when UConn was pursuing him, Thorr met every single one of his asks. Matched the salary, practice facility funded, full charter flights and an assistant pool bump. Hurley still jumped.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The things some of you still need to believe. Stay mad. The asks were not met. It was yeah, we are totally going to do that. In 2020. Or maybe 2022. But we’re definitely going to do it. No action, and it was still a very difficult decision. There are people on here who really know how it went down.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ace wrote: 2 years ago The things some of you still need to believe. Stay mad. The asks were not met. It was yeah, we are totally going to do that. In 2020. Or maybe 2022. But we’re definitely going to do it. No action, and it was still a very difficult decision.
The facility was in motion, so sorry we don't have an 8 figure war chest and have to raise funds which takes time
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This … there was a scenario where DH would have stayed. He wasn’t Penders who was always gonna be on the first plane outta here. It seems fairly obvious in our comprehensive offer to Archie that we learned something in the process of losing Dan.
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

The President is MUCH more committed to athletics at URI than the prior prez...That is for certain. Heck, anyone who names their cat Ruckus is OKAY in my book!!
5 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago The things some of you still need to believe. Stay mad. The asks were not met. It was yeah, we are totally going to do that. In 2020. Or maybe 2022. But we’re definitely going to do it. No action, and it was still a very difficult decision.
The facility was in motion, so sorry we don't have an 8 figure war chest and have to raise funds which takes time
“In motion” Just like me going to the gym has been in motion since 7 this morning. I know you need to believe things, but you can’t show zero prep and planning and THEN expect people to believe you and ask for even more of their time and energy and commitment. They learned and did better this time.
6 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Felt good when I read this on Xavier blog on 3/17. They have ten times the traffic of KB.

"Pat Kelsey train has passed. Archie is going to RI"

They are sweating out a Sean Miller hire as we speak.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Talk is cheap. URI should have realized that 4 years ago.

But it's finally OK.

There's no going back now, thank goodness.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
The President is MUCH more committed to athletics at URI than the prior prez...That is for certain. Heck, anyone who names their cat Ruckus is OKAY in my book!!
You're right. It seems that he is at every sporting event on campus.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago
“In motion” Just like me going to the gym has been in motion since 7 this morning. I know you need to believe things, but you can’t show zero prep and planning and THEN expect people to believe you and ask for even more of their time and energy and commitment. They learned and did better this time.
I fully admit I have ZERO insider knowledge but the time to really show the commitment was 2017 (or even before) and have actual measurable goals in progress. By the time March 2018 came around it was already too late.

Thorr’s quote is telling that they learned (paraphrasing) “it can’t be this is what we are thinking of doing. It has to be ‘here’s what we ARE doing and where we aim to be.”

From DH’s perspective it was more talk than action in 2018 and now it’s more action.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Case in point, when UConn was pursuing him, Thorr met every single one of his asks. Matched the salary, practice facility funded, full charter flights and an assistant pool bump. Hurley still jumped.
BAR and RF1 are correct, per usual.

Guy who wanted Dan Hurley gone in 2016 and thought he was a bad coach, your incorrect takes aren't needed here, certainly not now. Welcome back though! No idea why we need to incorrectly rehash the past and attempt to sully the legacy that Dan left here, but allow me to set you straight. Again.

Dan Hurley needed THIS offer, the Archie Miller offer, 5 years ago. After our first NCAA appearance in 2 decades. Not 4 years ago, not at the 11th hour, and not "promises."

Moreso, promises from URI don't have a great track record. Especially under previous administrations.

We hired Dave Cox as HC because Hurley couldn't afford to keep him without attaching a "head coach in waiting" addendum to his contract.

To say the "practice facility was happening" when Dan Hurley left is like when Rizzi was recruiting football players with the understanding that "they would be playing in a horseshoe stadium before they graduated." Rizzi left 13 years ago, FYI.

Hurley lost Preston Murphy, ARD, and Luke Murray to the same jobs making more money at bigger programs. Finding and training new coaches wore on him. Flying commercial wore on him. Flying commercial to recruit wore on him. Every single battle he had to fight to get basic things like parking for his coaching staff, wore on him. You have literally no idea how backwards this place used to operate before Dan and Thorr dragged us out of the mud.

Dan wanted to coach and win with as much support and as little resistance as possible. "old URI" (i'll be referring to everything before this offer as old URI) was chock full of resistance. Everything was a heavy lift. Everything was a "yeah sure, we'll definitely do that, trust us" but nothing ever actually happened.

The 11th hour contract we offered Dan had a one-year delay on when those promises actually kicked in, and a FIVE YEAR timeline on the practice facility. That's a lot different than "the facility is out to bid, construction starts this year, and you can recruit players based on the fact that it will be open when they get to school.

Dan STILL talks about how great this place is, the people, and the program. He helped sell Archie on coming here. He didn't take any players to UConn - the best PG he ever recruited stayed here because he told him to. Cyril. Fatts. He could've been a dick and pulled them all to UConn to make them competitive immediately. He didn't.

URI as an administration, under Dooley, despite Thorr's pleas, wasn't ready to make the kind of commitment Marc Parlange made on day 1.

We are very fortunate that Fascitelli and Ryan stepped up to the plate, and thank God for them. But none of this happens without Parlange buying into Thorr's vision and for the first time in URI's history, the UNIVERSITY, not just athletics and donors, is committing to making this place a first class athletics institution.

In a lot of ways, thank Dan. Because without Dan leaving, and Cox tanking the program. Thorr doesn't have the case to make to Marc and sell him on why investing in athletics is so important. The donors don't see the immediate difference in a Hurley-type, top-flight program, and what else could be out there.

If this team doesn't drop off a cliff after Dan, we probably were looking at another decade of purgatory before the next "up and coming" Dan Hurley came along.

Show some damn respect.
14 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s such a small thing, but I will never get over the VCRs.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfansince58 wrote: 2 years ago Felt good when I read this on Xavier blog on 3/17. They have ten times the traffic of KB.

"Pat Kelsey train has passed. Archie is going to RI"

They are sweating out a Sean Miller hire as we speak.
Have you been a Ram fan for 64 years? Would love to hear some stories.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Archie did a lot of great work with Field of 68 this past season, the media thing started by Rob Dauster. One of my favorite things is to listen to smart people talk basketball, and his game breakdowns were really good. I think some of those are still out there, definitely on Twitter, not sure where else.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Guy who wanted Dan Hurley gone in 2016 and thought he was a bad coach, your incorrect takes aren't needed here, certainly not now. Welcome back though! No idea why we need to incorrectly rehash the past and attempt to sully the legacy that Dan left here, but allow me to set you straight. Again.

Dan Hurley needed THIS offer, the Archie Miller offer, 5 years ago. After our first NCAA appearance in 2 decades. Not 4 years ago, not at the 11th hour, and not "promises."

Moreso, promises from URI don't have a great track record. Especially under previous administrations.

We hired Dave Cox as HC because Hurley couldn't afford to keep him without attaching a "head coach in waiting" addendum to his contract.

To say the "practice facility was happening" when Dan Hurley left is like when Rizzi was recruiting football players with the understanding that "they would be playing in a horseshoe stadium before they graduated." Rizzi left 13 years ago, FYI.

Hurley lost Preston Murphy, ARD, and Luke Murray to the same jobs making more money at bigger programs. Finding and training new coaches wore on him. Flying commercial wore on him. Flying commercial to recruit wore on him. Every single battle he had to fight to get basic things like parking for his coaching staff, wore on him. You have literally no idea how backwards this place used to operate before Dan and Thorr dragged us out of the mud.

Dan wanted to coach and win with as much support and as little resistance as possible. "old URI" (i'll be referring to everything before this offer as old URI) was chock full of resistance. Everything was a heavy lift. Everything was a "yeah sure, we'll definitely do that, trust us" but nothing ever actually happened.

The 11th hour contract we offered Dan had a one-year delay on when those promises actually kicked in, and a FIVE YEAR timeline on the practice facility. That's a lot different than "the facility is out to bid, construction starts this year, and you can recruit players based on the fact that it will be open when they get to school.

Dan STILL talks about how great this place is, the people, and the program. He helped sell Archie on coming here. He didn't take any players to UConn - the best PG he ever recruited stayed here because he told him to. Cyril. Fatts. He could've been a dick and pulled them all to UConn to make them competitive immediately. He didn't.

URI as an administration, under Dooley, despite Thorr's pleas, wasn't ready to make the kind of commitment Marc Parlange made on day 1.

We are very fortunate that Fascitelli and Ryan stepped up to the plate, and thank God for them. But none of this happens without Parlange buying into Thorr's vision and for the first time in URI's history, the UNIVERSITY, not just athletics and donors, is committing to making this place a first class athletics institution.

In a lot of ways, thank Dan. Because without Dan leaving, and Cox tanking the program. Thorr doesn't have the case to make to Marc and sell him on why investing in athletics is so important. The donors don't see the immediate difference in a Hurley-type, top-flight program, and what else could be out there.

If this team doesn't drop off a cliff after Dan, we probably were looking at another decade of purgatory before the next "up and coming" Dan Hurley came along.

Show some damn respect.
I think we also need a 'Marc Palange Appreciation' thread.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Show some damn respect.
This is exactly my point in my prior post. Blue Man says it better here because he has more intimate details than me so can explain it more confidently. Since I have no inside knowledge my points are more from a human behavior point of view. There are only so many times you can promise improvements before you finally have to show real visible commitment. I believe ace when she says DH wanted to be here if the commitment was here at the time. By the time the real promises were made it was more reactive. It was a great attempt- better than I would have thought but something that if done a year or two earlier and he may not be off to uconn. Or even if he is we are in better position to replace him with better staff and/or assistants instead of cheaping out.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The kicker for me, is when Parlange decided to fund all or most of this thru the university budget. Has to be a first.

Otherwise it would have had to come strictly from the boosters, which could be a temporary thing as coaches change.

A massive sea change for URI. Better late than never. That 2 million increase in the men's annual BB budget that Dan wanted? It's finally happened, 5 years later.

The future has never looked brighter for this program.

And a sustainable future to boot.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You have to be impressed by how quick things get updated these days. Archie Miller is still yet to be officially introduced as the URI coach as that will not happen until the Monday 03/21/22 press conference. His twitter and Wikipedia pages were however updated on 03/17/22 to reflect his new position. Even my Google Assistant today answered that Archie was coach of URI when asked.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago You have to be impressed by how quick things get updated these days. Archie Miller is still yet to be officially introduced as the URI coach as that will not happen until the Monday 03/21/22 press conference. His twitter and Wikipedia pages were however updated on 03/17/22 to reflect his new position. Even my Google Assistant today answered that Archie was coach of URI when asked.
Meanwhile, all season long, Bozeman never even got his picture up on the roster webpage. Just creeping sloth-like to the merciful end of the seasons and then Bam! Let’s go!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago You have to be impressed by how quick things get updated these days. Archie Miller is still yet to be officially introduced as the URI coach as that will not happen until the Monday 03/21/22 press conference. His twitter and Wikipedia pages were however updated on 03/17/22 to reflect his new position. Even my Google Assistant today answered that Archie was coach of URI when asked.
Meanwhile, all season long, Bozeman never even got his picture up on the roster webpage. Just creeping sloth-like to the merciful end of the seasons and then Bam! Let’s go!

He couldn’t have looked less interested all season long.

Good riddance.
1 x
Go Rhody
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The only reason we played American International College was because of Omicron Covid.
College of Charleston in Washington DC and Brown were both cancelled. George Mason was postponed. Many teams were searching for games to try to keep the team playing at this difficult time period.

It was NOT a game on the original URI MBB schedule.

156C3D7A-17DB-4E3D-8D3D-F52246596577.jpeg

No joke. Move on. Stop being so mean to a past coach.
There is one exception to that rule, a guy named Jerry Duh… if you feel the need to bust on a former coach he literally almost turned us into Fordham in just 2 seasons.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

This may have been mentioned earlier, but in the after glow of Archie coming aboard and the big picture program enhancements, and new commitments made by the University, the small picture things don’t get lost……ya know pesky things like the RC Wi-Fi, relays, etc……by the way, the RC PA voice for the woman’s game was excellent……go Rhody!!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Archie did a lot of great work with Field of 68 this past season, the media thing started by Rob Dauster. One of my favorite things is to listen to smart people talk basketball, and his game breakdowns were really good. I think some of those are still out there, definitely on Twitter, not sure where else.
Agree I listened often as well. When Blue Man started his Archie Miller conspiracy thread I believe I even posted one of the shows with him his brother and John Fanta and how articulate Archie was
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Hey so sadly not able to make the presser on Monday. Anyone know if it will be streamed or recorded?
I was going to message you to ask if you were going! Would have been great to catch up with you again.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Hey so sadly not able to make the presser on Monday. Anyone know if it will be streamed or recorded?
I was going to message you to ask if you were going! Would have been great to catch up with you again.
Yeah - it would have been great to catch up. Sadly not in the cards.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m sure the presser will be on YouTube
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie is a great hire and he will right the ship. But, we have seen this movie before with Penders, Harrick and Hurley. The buy-out for Miller is so easy for a P5 program and our compensation package is good for the A10 but not a P5 school. What can we do from Day 1 to retain a successful head coach and keep the program strong if he leaves? That's the challenge for URI going forward. The program requires big-time promotion including signage everywhere.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

I’m sure the presser will be on YouTube
Can we get confirmation on that? I'd love to watch it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Archie is a great hire and he will right the ship. But, we have seen this movie before with Penders, Harrick and Hurley. The buy-out for Miller is so easy for a P5 program and our compensation package is good for the A10 but not a P5 school. What can we do from Day 1 to retain a successful head coach and keep the program strong if he leaves? That's the challenge for URI going forward. The program requires big-time promotion including signage everywhere.
Yea, I was a bit surprised and disappointed the buyout starts at 1 million and decreases every season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

How sad are your lives if you have anything to complain about with this contract? Seriously. Like seek help. What is the point of even being a fan if you're going to make the biggest reach to find SOMETHING negative today? Does anything make you happy? Are you going to be miserable all year next year when we win because you just imagine Archie leaving?

URI did what everyone (Dan Hurley, fans) had been BEGGING for, for years. They invested in URI basketball. They committed to first class facilities. First class program support. First class assistant coaches pool. They went and got literally THE BEST COACH on the open market. Not "for URI standards" but period.

Thorr Bjorn got URI to invest in athletics. Properly. For once.

The buyout is irrelevant, and I would assume structured in a certain way because of the Indiana money being paid to Archie up front, and the back end bonuses that put his guaranteed salary in the $2.4M range at the end - as it stands right now.

If we're committing to the program in the way we are now, there's significantly less risk of Archie being an immediate flight risk.

Archie is making near-top tier money, and you have to assume with what we've committed now, when we start winning the ways we're expected to in the coming seasons - our donors and institution will answer the bell and step up with whatever is needed.

And - because some people still haven't figured this out - it's not all about the money in coaching. When you get to a certain level it's about your fit, expectations, and how supported you are to do your job to the best of your abilities.

Look at what Tammi said last night. Read what the morons on the Boneyard are saying about Hurley. You don't think there's a part of him that saw the Archie contract and juxtaposed that against some of the mouthbreathers in his fanbase and thought "what if?"

Sometimes a coach and his family may think that being at a place with lower expectations than a "blue blood" - or school that believes it is, is worth it. That when you win here at a minimal level (NCAA or bust), you become a God. You can do no wrong. Sometimes they love a place and it isn't worth them taking a risk at a new job.

Considering Archie has had both, maybe that's where his head is at.

For everyone on here who said Archie "wasn't realistic" or "would never happen" or "he would never come down to this level" - maybe shut up? For once? He's here. He's here for a reason. Just enjoy it, JFC. Go Rhody.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some people just like to nitpick lol......

I think pretty soon, we'll have polls on the board about how soon we'll have success...as in NCAA tourney invites.

I'll start by saying maybe by his 2nd year, if not an NIT, and we go dancing by year 3, for sure.

About the same trajectory as his time at Dayton.

Like Blue Man just said, when Archie leaves at some point we should be in a far better position to keep attracting good coaches.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The only thing in the contract that should be of focus, is this investment is now a budgeted item. It's not a loan, or donor money. URI is paying the basketball coach a 5 year/$9.5 million contract.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just got back from going dark for a week when I was away on vacation. I’ve taken the time to read the threads that I missed. I was cautiously optimistic about Archie and now I feel like I did when Hurley was the coach again. Optimistic and proud to be a Ram. Thanks to everyone, especially the administration for finally making the commitment the program and the university deserve. Can’t wait for the future. #GoRhody.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Some people just like to nitpick lol......

I think pretty soon, we'll have polls on the board about how soon we'll have success...as in NCAA tourney invites.

I'll start by saying maybe by his 2nd year, if not an NIT, and we go dancing by year 3, for sure.

Like Blue Man just said, when Archie leaves at some point we should be in a far better position to keep attracting good coaches.
Kind of in line with what Archie said about the transition will be slow at first, then we'll be good, then we'll be REALLY good. I'm looking forward to 'The Process' (sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: )
4 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The only thing in the contract that should be of focus, is this investment is now a budgeted item. It's not a loan, or donor money. URI is paying the basketball coach a 5 year/$9.5 million contract.
I thought that was some of the best news. I would imagine if it is in the budget now it will remain even when Archie moves on setting a new placeholder in the budget for our future.

Solid news all around with Archie. I thought he was going to be a great fit at IU, didnt work out for one reason or another, but i feel good about his chances here. Most excited that i have been in a couple years.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Some people just like to nitpick lol......

Kind of in line with what Archie said about the transition will be slow at first, then we'll be good, then we'll be REALLY good. I'm looking forward to 'The Process' (sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: )
That’s a great quote and I have no doubt we will be dancing hopefully sooner than later !!
0 x