Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by Running Ram »

yes, I thought Carey progressed this year, I feel like he should be able to be a 25+ minute/game kinda guy in the right scheme with the right coaching etc.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Also I really hope Martin stays and plays, he's got that motor like the Great Hassan with better shooting/scoring skills. Not saying he's a better player than Hass, but that they have similar motors with otherwise differing skills.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Archie is close with Scoochie. Maybe we can pry away his kid brother from Dayton.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Arch should just meet with each player, one on one in the coming days and just be real.

tell player A, yes I'd like you to stay, blah blah blah, but do as you wish.

tell player B, 'you should enter the portal, we're going in a different direction'

and so on.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
:lol:
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'd LOVE to see Jalen Carey in an Archie offense, but I am not sure he will be able to keep up on the defensive end.

I don't mean that to be a swipe at Jalen, I am a big fan and know he can be explosive on the offensive end, but he needs to work on his defensive footwork for 8 hours a day every day this entire summer.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I wonder if anyone from Indiana would join the Rams.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago yes, I thought Carey progressed this year, I feel like he should be able to be a 25+ minute/game kinda guy in the right scheme with the right coaching etc.
I might be in the minority in this one, but I don’t see the makings of a winning team with Carey starting. Don’t get me wrong as he played much better at times this year, but I question his turnovers, defense and shooting. He would be valuable if he was a guy coming off the bench. I know it is extremely difficult to get 11-12 new players, but I really would prefer to keep a limited amount of these players. Especially the ones that went into the transfer portal
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think a lot of our staying is players having some success is how quickly they learn and pick up all aspects of the pack line defense
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If the coach wants ANY of the players back that portal-ed, I have no doubt they will be back. This isn't an issue.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The team culture must change. If you are unwilling to change, then you should leave. My biggest concern is the twins and their undisciplined game. I like Thomas, but he must go unless he can become a 70%+ FT shooter. I you are unwilling to put the work in this off-season, then you should go.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think its always the right move to keep anyone who wants to stay. They didn’t ask for all this chaos and change. Coaches should be honest with players, but I kind of hate the idea of pushing guys out who want to stay.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I think its always the right move to keep anyone who wants to stay. They didn’t ask for all this chaos and change. Coaches should be honest with players, but I kind of hate the idea of pushing guys out who want to stay.
That is true to a point Ace, but I feel if the new coach doesn't think that player will be a fit or get little playing time, he will strongly suggest it may be in his best interest to move on.

Even Dan made that clear to several players that moved on when he arrived : Vedder, Shengelia, Harris, McKoy.

I do however feel that Martin, Walker, Ish can all make an impact and I hope they stay.

Tres we never really got to see because of his injuries and RS.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I think its always the right move to keep anyone who wants to stay. They didn’t ask for all this chaos and change. Coaches should be honest with players, but I kind of hate the idea of pushing guys out who want to stay.
That is true to a point Ace, but I feel if the new coach doesn't think that player will be a fit or get little playing time, he will strongly suggest it may be in his best interest to move on.
That’s what I said. Coaches lay out the expectations, players decide if they want to or can buy in.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
That’s what I said.
Well yeah, but I remember in Vedder's case he wasn't happy about leaving and neither was his family.
I think Dan kind of nudged him out the door, which I agreed with.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s what I said.
Well yeah, but I remember in Vedder's case he wasn't happy about leaving and neither was his family.
I said what I think coaches should do. Why are you talking to me about Dan?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Next week should be fun. A lot of guys across the sport will be making their transfer decisions (and suddenly people here who can’t stop complaining about transfers will suddenly love it), the staff will start coming together, URI will start getting linked to guys. More excitement than at any point this past season!
11 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That’s what I said.
I said what I think coaches should do. Why are you talking to me about Dan?
I was just using him as an example, that sometimes when new coaches are brought in, they may not see certain players as a fit.
In those cases, no problem not taking a player back or releasing them.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Saying “Rhody is DEAD” and being a Cox fan is certainly a take.
I can’t believe that Archie doesn’t know that Rhody is DEAD! How embarrassing for him.
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Saying “Rhody is DEAD” and being a Cox fan is certainly a take.
I can’t believe that Archie doesn’t know that Rhody is DEAD! How embarrassing for him.
Tough time to have a couple of burner accounts on this board.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PortalPalooza....it's going to be awesome. You knew the GM role was going to grow, but I never thought this quickly. For Rhody, going to almost be like an expansion draft. I like it.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Archie will be able to put together a competitive roster in his first season. The combination of some staying and the use of the portal will give us a solid roster. The buzz for the program is out and Archie's name is big enough for us to get some solid transfers. I think I'm most impressed with the commitment made to the assistant pool. Forming a quality staff around the program is such an advantage. This staff will be able to hit the ground running and still be able to get in on some Fall 2022 prep signings. It's tight but a good staff with this buzz/excitement and Archie's name will get us in the door. Looking forward to them getting us the next Elbert Clark Matthews!
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Here are the guys to track…kids who committed to IU and then went elsewhere when Archie was fired. Not sure who those kids are and where they went but I’m sure some of them will be his first targets. He also has a wide network between him and his brother so I expect the portal work to be bustling.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Here are the guys to track…kids who committed to IU and then went elsewhere when Archie was fired. Not sure who those kids are and where they went but I’m sure some of them will be his first targets. He also has a wide network between him and his brother so I expect the portal work to be bustling.
I wouldn’t mind an Iowa St type turnaround next year.

2-21 last season, new coach, new players, 11 seed in the tourney and a W first round.
2 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Here are the guys to track…kids who committed to IU and then went elsewhere when Archie was fired. Not sure who those kids are and where they went but I’m sure some of them will be his first targets. He also has a wide network between him and his brother so I expect the portal work to be bustling.
I’ll probably end up looking this up because I’m curious about it, but I do remember some transfers/de-commits when Archie was fired. Woodson got some of them back, though, if I am remembering correctly. I know Jackson-Davis is one, Race Thompson, too.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

2-21 last season, new coach, new players, 11 seed in the tourney and a W first round.
Yeah that’s prob the stretch goal and still asking a lot given where our roster is at in March 2022. But with someone like Archie who should be able to pull players and coach em up it’s at least a possibility.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Yes. This.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’ll probably end up looking this up because I’m curious about it, but I do remember some transfers/de-commits when Archie was fired. Woodson got some of them back, though, if I am remembering correctly. I know Jackson-Davis is one, Race Thompson, too.
Ok, in addition, Khristian Lander, Parker Stewart, and Jordan Geronimo went into the portal and came back to Indiana, so that’s five. Armaan Franklin did transfer to Virginia. I think that might be everybody who thought about transferring when he was fired.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Spoke to a couple of the MBB players last night at the WBB game. They are meeting with Archie tomorrow and seem pretty psyched.
7 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any of the players in the portal?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, in addition, Khristian Lander, Parker Stewart, and Jordan Geronimo went into the portal and came back to Indiana, so that’s five. Armaan Franklin did transfer to Virginia. I think that might be everybody who thought about transferring when he was fired.
Looks like there was one more, but it doesn't say who.

Indiana sophomore guard Armaan Franklin has decided to leave Bloomington, committing to Virginia on Thursday. He is the second Hoosier to leave after Archie Miller's firing on March 15. BLOOMINGTON, Ind.Apr 8, 2021
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Indiana sophomore guard Armaan Franklin has decided to leave Bloomington, committing to Virginia on Thursday. He is the second Hoosier to leave after Archie Miller's firing on March 15. BLOOMINGTON, Ind.Apr 8, 2021
Durham?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Durham?
How could I have forgot that one. :D
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Any of the players in the portal?
One that I spoke with...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
One that I spoke with...
Hope it's Antwan. Of the 4, he's the one I'd want back the most.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

One that I spoke with...
Hope it's Antwan. Of the 4, he's the one I'd want back the most.
me too!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I’ll bet it’s Malik, Hass played against the good Archie UD teams and probably told Malik how good of a coach he was
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Archie will be able to put together a competitive roster in his first season. The combination of some staying and the use of the portal will give us a solid roster. The buzz for the program is out and Archie's name is big enough for us to get some solid transfers. I think I'm most impressed with the commitment made to the assistant pool. Forming a quality staff around the program is such an advantage. This staff will be able to hit the ground running and still be able to get in on some Fall 2022 prep signings. It's tight but a good staff with this buzz/excitement and Archie's name will get us in the door. Looking forward to them getting us the next Elbert Clark Matthews!
I think if we can keep a few of our core players, plus adding several recruits/transfers we can be a top 5-6 in the A10.
That can put us in the NIT discussion next season.
I wouldn't have thought that prior to us getting Archie.

This team finished 10th and 11th the last 2 seasons.
I am not expecting miracles to happen immediately.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’ve always felt this program should always be in the top half of the conference, no matter the coach or roster turnover. I think from year 1 that happens with Archie, and they never go back.
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

As for assistant coaches, think we got a shot at Ostrom? Big time rep as a recruiter? I don’t know where he is no ow, if anywhere.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I’ve always felt this program should always be in the top half of the conference, no matter the coach or roster turnover. I think from year 1 that happens with Archie, and they never go back.
💯! No reason Rhody can’t be a perennial top 4 A10 team. The only thing stopping them is themselves. Hopefully that ends now.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One that I spoke with...
I know I’ll come off as snippy, but you talked to this player in a public setting at the ryan center, with people here potentially seeing you with said player.

Why is it a secret as to who you talked with?

Obviously it’s your right, but just curious as to why you said you talked with a player in a public setting, but won’t post that player here.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Archie will be able to put together a competitive roster in his first season. The combination of some staying and the use of the portal will give us a solid roster. The buzz for the program is out and Archie's name is big enough for us to get some solid transfers. I think I'm most impressed with the commitment made to the assistant pool. Forming a quality staff around the program is such an advantage. This staff will be able to hit the ground running and still be able to get in on some Fall 2022 prep signings. It's tight but a good staff with this buzz/excitement and Archie's name will get us in the door. Looking forward to them getting us the next Elbert Clark Matthews!
I think if we can keep a few of our core players, plus adding several recruits/transfers we can be a top 5-6 in the A10.

Betting Archie’s expectations are higher. He knows we need a couple of top tier guards and a “small” forward. If he fills these needs in the portal , we could easily be contenders and a NCAA team. I am optimistic!
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

From what I’ve read, Archie’s defensive schemes are pretty sophisticated and take time to learn. I’m not if we’ll see a quick turnaround unless his players are quick learners.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

Betting Archie’s expectations are higher. He knows we need a couple of top tier guards and a “small” forward. If he fills these needs in the portal , we could easily be contenders and a NCAA team. I am optimistic!
Wow you are optimistic.
I am not expecting us to be in the NCAAT discussion, but would love it if we are.

Dayton, VCU are both very young and SLU may have their entire starting 5 back.
Those 3 should finish a top the A10.
That doesn't even include the Bonnies, depending on who returns.
Also Davidson should be strong again.

I didn't even take into consideration Loyola/Chicago who got a bid this season.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

One that I spoke with...
I know I’ll come off as snippy, but you talked to this player in a public setting at the ryan center, with people here potentially seeing you with said player.

Obviously it’s your right, but just curious as to why you said you talked with a player in a public setting, but won’t post that player here.
Guess what snippy jackass, you are the ONKY one here who asked me who I spoke with.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One that I spoke with...

Guess what snippy jackass, you are the ONKY one here who asked me who I spoke with.
CamsRams literally asked if the you spoke to any players in the portal, and you said one of them.

Don’t think me asking which player is anything crazy.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

One that I spoke with...

Overreaction of the month candidate right here.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago

Hahahaha yup.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Hahahaha yup.
YOU are the one who called yourself "snippy" and I called you a jackass...but I have always felt that way, especially based on how you rode Jermaine for the years that he was here.

My info was not to say that I knew something that others didn't, but to state that 2 players were psyched too meet with the new coach tomorrow. If you were a supporter of WBB, you would have seen who was there and would know who I spoke to.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahaha yup.
YOU are the one who called yourself "snippy" and I called you a jackass...but I have always felt that way, especially based on how you rode Jermaine for the years that he was here.

My info was not to say that I knew something that others didn't, but to state that 2 players were psyched too meet with the new coach tomorrow. If you were a supporter of WBB, you would have seen who was there and would know who I spoke to.

Ok sounds good.

My apologies for wanting to watch the mens NCAA tournament.

I know I might be in the minority with that.
0 x
Go Rhody